Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I wonder if Monarch tried to teach Kong sign-language.

Jane Goodall as the 50 Foot Woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
More stuff that didn't make it into the movie, this time at Castle Bravo. A scene just after they arrive, where Sam shows Mark around and manages to unintentionally do just about everything he can to set him off (speaks positively about the research they're doing on Titans and on prospects like using their DNA for genetic engineering, reveals that Emma didn't destroy the ORCA prototype after all when talking about how she used it in the incident with the MUTO Prime from the comics, etc). Does a lot to set up why Mark just does not like the guy, where in the movie he just seemed to think he was incompetent or something. Also, more stuff after the meeting Mark storms out of, when he's in Emma's office, expanding on his actions and thoughts there (speculating on why Jonah needs the ORCA when, at the time, they still think he's just a Titan DNA trafficker and ecoterrorist, wondering if he's planning on trying to control a Titan to sink whaling ships or something) and showing more of the video of him with his kids all dressed up as bears and whatnot. And some stuff at the site of Mothra's cocoon, well before it hatched, with Dr. Ling and Houston Brooks.

Given how exactly the dialog matches that of the movie, it kind of feels like the author of this was handed the script and told to turn it into a book. If that's the case, and all the scenes that aren't in the movie were planned but either cut or didn't make it to filming, I really wish they had made it in and hope maybe the talk of a director's cut of the movie is real and we get to see it eventually. There's a lot of interesting stuff and characterization in these, and it reinforces my feeling that the film was meant to have more than what made it to the screen.

Edit:

quote:

Maddie gazed out the window of the Osprey, but there wasn’t much to see in the Antarctic night. It was still better than looking at the men in the aircraft. The thugs who had shot and killed everyone at the Yunnan control center. Now they joked and chuckled and talked about things they had eaten that grossed them out. It wasn’t that they didn’t seem to think they had done anything wrong; it was as if they hadn’t done anything at all.
She was never going to forget the smell of that much blood. The looks of surprise or fear or agony or – nothing, frozen on the faces of the dead. The whimpering of those still alive, before one of these guys finished them off. And they were people she knew. Maybe that shouldn’t make a difference, but it did. Tana had helped her with her calculus and taught her how to count to ten in Chuukese. Dr. Mancini had had coffee at their kitchen table. Ben, one of the techs – one day he’d had the hell scared out of him when a monkey came up behind him and took his earbuds. She must have laughed for ten minutes, and once he got over the embarrassment, he’d laughed too.
He’d had that same look of shock and fright when the bullets struck him, and nothing about any of it seemed funny. The thought of her laughter that day now made her feel like vomiting. But she’d already done that, back in Yunnan, walking through the carnage. There was nothing in her stomach left to come up.

There's more after this too, but the gist of it is more insight into Madison's thoughts and feelings regarding her situation and with Mothra from earlier, and seeing a bit of the ecoterrorists before they arrive in Antarctica. Not a major scene or anything, and most of it wouldn't work in film as opposed to a novel, but it stood out to me.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 7, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's an internet rumor that Arcs System Work is going to reveal a Godzilla fighting game at E3 and I really, really hope its true.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 7, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Most book novelizations are based on the scripts since the book is started before the movie is done. It’s very common to have deleted scenes in them since what will make the final movie isn’t known yet.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

david_a posted:

Most book novelizations are based on the scripts since the book is started before the movie is done. It’s very common to have deleted scenes in them since what will make the final movie isn’t known yet.

I still wonder how much of the amazing novelization of Revenge of the Sith was from an original script. It has a whole subplot where Palpatine is playing Iago, making Anakin think that Obi-Wan is loving Padme. Also, the opening fight with Dooku is ho-hum in the movie but awesome in the book as it's done from his perspective. Over several pages, he goes from incredible arrogance to the slowly dawning realization that he's been nothing but a pawn and he's about to be hosed.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Mantis42 posted:

There's an internet rumor that Arcs System Work is going to reveal a Godzilla fighting game at E3 and I really, really hope its true.

This would be absolutely amazing, I think they would do a wonderful job. Where did you hear this btw?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A couple sites reported on it but the origin is literally just a 4chan post. Those sometimes have real leaks (the entire plot of KOTM was leaked there a year in advanced) but take it with a grain of salt. I guess we'll know on Sunday.

https://gamerant.com/rumor-godzilla-vs-kong-fighting-game-will-be-revealed-at-e3-2019/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mantis42 posted:

I can't see Godzilla doing much combo heavy, low frame rate anime fighting but gently caress it.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Destroy All Monsters Melee is possibly the greatest party game ever made, hopefully its a sequel to that and not more forgettable arcade dreck

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

interfior posted:

Where is this from?

From the unfortunately not so good Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters comicbook series.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm glad there's a Godzilla fighting game being made but I can't believe a Pacific Rim game didn't come out first.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There was a Pacific Rim fighting game, it just sucked.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Did the movie make a good amount of money this weekend? I didn't really like it that much but I still don't want it to fail because I love what they're doing with this series overall.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Last weekend it was #1 over Aladdin with 47 mil

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

david_a posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I was more commenting on how direct this seems, but, well, it is a novelization of the script. Fitting in with what you just said, actually, that one scene from a trailer where Madison tries to reach Monarch on the radio but instead gets a bunch of distress calls from people under attack and freaks out is in here

Anyway, titans other than the main ones mentioned in the book:

Scylla: The Cthulhu-spider, as people thought. Referred to with feminine pronouns by Brooks.
Behemoth: The "mammoth", though apparently it's also kind of like a giant sloth and can walk bipedal if it wants to. Referred to with masculine pronouns by Brooks.
Methuselah: The mountain-thing, with the forest on its back and whatnot.
Mokole-Mbembe: Described earlier, sort of a snake-elephant hybrid thing.
Kraken: Not its official name but a nickname given by Monarch staff watching it, but it's a giant cephalopod-like creature. Not even referenced in the movie stuff, due to being a very recent discovery.

The book is also explicit about Dr. Chen and Dr. Ling having a connection with Mothra, though I'm not sure what the specifics are. There's almost definitely something mystical going on with them though, they're not just twins who happen to like Mothra.

Did Jonah share the story of what happened to his daughter in the movie, by the way? In the book it happened during a scene I remember from the movie, but I don't remember if that particular part was in the movie too and I'm just forgetting or something.

Edit: Another thing not in the movie, Madison using a stun gun from the storage locker she raided to take out one of Jonah's men who caught her in the middle of her trying to steal the ORCA. How "easy" her doing all that was and how she met no resistance at all is something I remember people complaining about. Stuff related to Jonah and his men seems like what I see the most stuff not in the book for, actually, so I guess they were the worst victims of the pruning the movie underwent. A shame, since there are some nice moments that didn't make it in, and people had been saying they felt like Charles Dance was underutilized. It seems like they wanted to do more with him, at least.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 8, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My interpretation of the whole nuke thing: nuclear weapons in the west are seen less as a weapon and more a symbol of power, a testament of a country's status in the world. Having nukes is a sign that you're worth taking seriously, and having The Most Nukes is a sign that you're king poo poo.

The Monsterverse has, from my perspective, taken the stance that mankind's folly is thinking that they are in control of the world, rather than just a part of it, and most of the conflict in the three movies comes from humanity trying to force their will on the world and getting smacked the gently caress down in response, such as trying to contain and destroy Godzilla and the MUTOs, rolling into Skull Island and bombing the poo poo out of it like they own the place, or trying to manipulate the Titans with the Orca.

Success in these movies has always been tied to a willingness to reject that human egoism and accept the power of nature's champions, rather than trying to force human will to the forefront.

The nuke scene is a synthesis of these two ideas. Once again, mankind has hosed things up by kramering into the middle of poo poo, this time by dropping the Oxygen Destroyer on Godzilla and nearly killing him. Serizawa delivering the nuclear warhead to Godzilla is not merely a powerup, but symbolically, Humanity is taking the symbol of their absolute power, a weapon that cracks the atom, and returning it to nature. Like returning Excalibur to the lake is the symbol of the end of King Arthur's reign, delivering the nuclear bomb to godzilla essentially signifies humanity ceding its dominance to the King of the Monsters.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

My interpretation of the whole nuke thing: nuclear weapons in the west are seen less as a weapon and more a symbol of power, a testament of a country's status in the world. Having nukes is a sign that you're worth taking seriously, and having The Most Nukes is a sign that you're king poo poo.

The Monsterverse has, from my perspective, taken the stance that mankind's folly is thinking that they are in control of the world, rather than just a part of it, and most of the conflict in the three movies comes from humanity trying to force their will on the world and getting smacked the gently caress down in response, such as trying to contain and destroy Godzilla and the MUTOs, rolling into Skull Island and bombing the poo poo out of it like they own the place, or trying to manipulate the Titans with the Orca.

Success in these movies has always been tied to a willingness to reject that human egoism and accept the power of nature's champions, rather than trying to force human will to the forefront.

The nuke scene is a synthesis of these two ideas. Once again, mankind has hosed things up by kramering into the middle of poo poo, this time by dropping the Oxygen Destroyer on Godzilla and nearly killing him. Serizawa delivering the nuclear warhead to Godzilla is not merely a powerup, but symbolically, Humanity is taking the symbol of their absolute power, a weapon that cracks the atom, and returning it to nature. Like returning Excalibur to the lake is the symbol of the end of King Arthur's reign, delivering the nuclear bomb to godzilla essentially signifies humanity ceding its dominance to the King of the Monsters.

I can see most of that, though I think the film is going for a theme of symbiosis rather than dominance, at least between humanity and Godzilla; Dougherty's made comments along those lines too, so I don't think the final takeaway is meant to be Godzilla ruling over humanity as a tyrant, even a benevolent one. But those overall themes you mentioned there definitely fit.

Anyway, finished reading the novelization. Overall, it's as I said before, pretty much the movie but with more insight into the characters' thoughts, memories, etc, and with a few scenes that didn't make it into the film. Some parts are pretty well done, a few parts have prose that's a bit rough or where something that had more impact in the movie just sort of happened in a line or two, but overall I liked it. If you liked the movie but want a bit more, then you'll probably like this too. If you wanted to like the movie but felt things were a bit too fast or undeveloped or had some similar issue, this might address that and come across more satisfyingly. If you have some major, fundamental problem with the movie you hated (besides maybe something like the acting), then this won't fix that. At under seven dollars, I got what I wanted out of it, at least.

Well, except for one thing: The novel did not have more Mothra in it. Well, there's the scene I mentioned before, at the camp set up around her chrysalis some time before she emerged from it, and a vision (or perhaps hallucination, but since the Shobijin exist in this and still have some sort of connection with Mothra, I'm leaning towards it being "real") that Madison has in Boston while thinking she might be dying in that bathtub, but neither of those feel like they count, for obvious reasons. Even including them, given how much the book included that didn't make it into the movie it feels like there's even less of her in it relatively. Given that she's what I wanted more of the most, that was disappointing.

Edit: Or, well, she isn't present more than in the movie, but she does come up a lot more; throughout the book, Mothra's a sort of symbol of hope to Madison, that coexistence between the humans and Titans is possible, as a contrast to what Ghidorah and those under his sway are doing. The spoiler up there is a sort of culmination of that, I suppose. And she comes up in other characters' thoughts a few times too, either similarly representative of hope or more literally such due to her, for a time, being the only "good" Titan in action until they manage to wake Godzilla back up and acting as their metaphorical and literal guiding light. So there's that, I suppose. Still, was hoping for more.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 8, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ahhh poo poo, I wanted to check out KOTM in 4DX or whatever the hell and yesterday was the last showings of any theater near me. Welp.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ahhh poo poo, I wanted to check out KOTM in 4DX or whatever the hell and yesterday was the last showings of any theater near me. Welp.

Didn't this just come out a week ago? That's a bad sign.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, I was gonna see it again but in IMAX tonight, but the imax near me already rotated it off their big screens in favor of loving Dark Phoenix.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Or, well, she isn't present more than in the movie, but she does come up a lot more;

That's good. I thought Mothra was the best looking and animated kaiju in this movie, and wish she'd gotten more screen time. I think her fight with Rodan took up no more than thirty seconds or so, and she was barely visible at all for the Castle Bravo part.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Basebf555 posted:

Did the movie make a good amount of money this weekend? I didn't really like it that much but I still don't want it to fail because I love what they're doing with this series overall.

Most projections have KOTM at #4 this coming weekend, behind Dark Phoenix, Secret Life of Pets 2, and....Aladdin, which came out almost a month ago now. Demoralizing, but them's the breaks.

Edit: Sweet jesus it's worse than I thought

quote:

Legendary/Warner Bros’ Godzilla: King of the Monsters looks like $4M in its second Friday, -79%. That’s aimed at a second downer of a weekend of $14.5M, off 69%, with a running total by Sunday of $77.5M.

That's physically painful.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 8, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

Imax runs during the summer months are basically a week unless there isn’t another big movie coming out.

I mean something huge like Avengers might still play for a little bit longer but it’s a limited run regardless of the quality.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hello friends, we the Dredd community welcome you to the box office disappointment club. At least Godzilla got 3 films out of this. Dredd didn't even get a goddamn sequel despite it doing really well on Blu-ray.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

Hello friends, we the Dredd community welcome you to the box office disappointment club. At least Godzilla got 3 films out of this. Dredd didn't even get a goddamn sequel despite it doing really well on Blu-ray.

Man I exist in that community on a consistent, painful basis.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Here's hoping that TV series comes through and Karl Urban comes back as Dredd.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't let box office bug me much for movies like this, given GvK is already being made it's probably just as well this isn't likely to get sequelled into the ground.

Though still kinda wanna see the Hedorah hinted as having been active during The Great London Smog in the ARG.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We already have 30+ Japanese films and even more on the way. The Monsterverse is nice and if it ends as Quadrilogy I will consider it successful. Its not remotely comparable to Dredd.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I thought this movie fell short in a lot of ways, but man I was practically on my feet cheering the last twenty minutes.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I loved KotM, but it's a little more thematically muddled than - or at least discordant with - the 2014 movie, since suddenly nuclear families are really important rather than dangerous distractions.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Burkion posted:

Ghidorah actually has agency and character of his own, and for ONCE isn't under control by alien overlords.

Even better, Ghidorah is under the control of three alien overlords, even if one is goofy and licks snow.

Violator
May 15, 2003

KOTM is going to make less in its entire US run than G14 made in its opening weekend?!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ferrinus posted:

I loved KotM, but it's a little more thematically muddled than - or at least discordant with - the 2014 movie, since suddenly nuclear families are really important rather than dangerous distractions.

'Nuclear families' are important in KotM in the same way 'nuclear weapons' are - as fuel to the God(zilla)-King of the Monsters.

Emma's death is her sealing the covenant between humanity and Godzilla that Serizawa first offered, in the same way Mothra's sacrifice is her fulfilling their symbiotic relationship. Serizawa's sacrifice was an offering to an ancient god; Emma's is a pact between equals. That's the idea behind the 'alpha signal' including human voice patterns, and the revelation that humanity is the newest Titan.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 8, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ungulateman posted:

'Nuclear families' are important in KotM in the same way 'nuclear weapons' are - as fuel to the God(zilla)-King of the Monsters.

Emma's death is her sealing the covenant between humanity and Godzilla that Serizawa first offered, in the same way Mothra's sacrifice is her fulfilling their symbiotic relationship. Serizawa's sacrifice was an offering to an ancient god; Emma's is a pact between equals. That's the idea behind the 'alpha signal' including human voice patterns, and the revelation that humanity is the newest Titan.

nah it's her going "oh poo poo I'm going to get tried at The Hague, I'll go out on my terms" or, more nobly, "oh poo poo I gotta distract the giant killer monster away from my daughter"

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I just finished rewatching GMK for the first time in like 10 years; I had hardly any recollection of it, other than Ghidorah surprisingly being a protagonist.

This is a weird one. The battles aren’t that satisfying, though Godzilla vs poor, unbilled Baragon is a fun squash. Similarly, the destruction sequences feel pretty tame (though occasionally punctuated with the darkly comical death of unnamed civilians;) there’s nothing in here that grabbed me the way some are grabbed by the radiation-breath in Shin Godzilla.

Overall, I kind of appreciated the “Godzilla: Remixed” nature of the film, with the alterations to the monsters’ origins and motivations.

I remember liking Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS quite a lot, so I think I’ll put them in line for a rewatch soon too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Roland Jones posted:

Not its official name but a nickname given by Monarch staff watching it,

This series is so weird about names.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Captain Invictus posted:

nah it's her going "oh poo poo I'm going to get tried at The Hague, I'll go out on my terms" or, more nobly, "oh poo poo I gotta distract the giant killer monster away from my daughter"

Her last words are "Long live the King."

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most Kaiju supercharging the environment in their wake actually makes a fair bit of sense, since it's the only way that they could even possibly begin to justify maintaining their existence.

...weirdly enough reminds me of ending of Subnautica of all things.

I think the go to comparison is how a herd of elephants can locally mess up an area just hanging around, but change the habitat over time to be productive again . Or beavers I guess.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

This randomly popped up on my YT feed and :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEpVXtyO_k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Scyantific posted:

This randomly popped up on my YT feed and :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEpVXtyO_k

I was at Universal Osaka a couple years back and wanted to check out the Evangelion ride (the Shin Godzilla one wasn't out yet) but it was a 4 hour line so :(