Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Appropriately, I just found the Merle Sanders/Jerry Garcia "Live At Keystone" 2LP compilation at a record store the other day. I should really give that thing a spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My understanding of the JGB is Jerry would just go out there and blast his 20 favorite tunes everynight meaning the setlists were pretty static.

I don't know, I had a live album and enjoyed it but it wasn't essential.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

JamesKPolk posted:

Anyone into Jerry Band?

Trying to get into it but idk where to start. I like a lot of the 80s covers I've heard (what piqued my curiosity) and I like Keith and Donna dead a lot so I'm curious about the 70s period.

Other than that its more varied than the Dead right? What are the kind of different eras? Hows the official released stuff, is there a Dicks Picks type thing to start me off?

I really like the Merl Saunders Keystone recordings. It's all covers but the band is just a 4-piece and they're clearly having a good time, at least on the collection I have from 73. I'm not an expert but I think Garcia and Saunders collaborated more than a handful of times in that decade.

Dig Jerry's solo in this tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW77rWtJIQU

As for studio stuff, I think Cats Under the Stars sounds nice... a couple crucial tracks including Ruben + Cherise and the title track, but otherwise it sounds like most of the other recordings he made back then. YMMV.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Garcia Band is sort of mixed for me, in the sense that there is great stuff but a lot of the song selection is stuff I just don't care for.

For the question of where to start, I would say pick any of the Garcia Live official releases. The most recent (Volume 10 Hilo HI 1990) is a pretty great example of what I'm describing:

I could absolutely do without How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You, Knockin on Heaven's Door, etc but there are absolutely smokin versions of Deal, They Love Each Other, Evangeline...

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Happy birthday jer, love and lite, nods all day

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
He died as he lived: very fat.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Anyone going to Grateful Dead meet up at the movies tonight? Especially if you live in Seattle? I'm flying solo this year and would love to grab a beer or something before/after.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

new soundboard of a killer spring 82 show
eyes of the world is fire

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-04-03.142815.sbd.miller.flac2496

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

An Apple A Gay posted:

lovely mix. Try Road Trips Vol 4 #4 from that same time if you want a much better version.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

An Apple A Gay posted:

Owns. I gotta check to see if I have this show in my collection or not as an aud.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
05-31-83 is essential jgb listening

https://youtu.be/tfT73LL_THo

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

late convert here -- just started listening to the dead the other day on a whim and for the past 3 days they've been all i've been listening to. i guess it was bound to happen that it's finally clicking in a way it didn't when my friends in hs tried selling me on em (was always more into punk/hardcore/post-punk) but really how could i possibly dislike a band that tried titling an album skullfuck?

so far i've listened to:

27/08/1972 (veneta or)
europe 72
live/dead
skull & roses
dicks picks vol 1
road trips vol. 2.2 (valentines day 1968)
28/02/1969 and 01/03/1969 (fillmore west)

the dark star > st stephen > the eleven on a bunch of these is some of the best music i've heard in months...

anyway i guess i'm just looking at where to go next? the weirder darker louder and more out there the better, my interest in them mostly comes from my interest in improvised music (jazz/fusion, noise, eai, dj sets) and the psych/krautrock bands that took after them (amon düül, agitation free, hawkwind, bardo pond, etc)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Radio Spiricom posted:

late convert here -- just started listening to the dead the other day on a whim and for the past 3 days they've been all i've been listening to. i guess it was bound to happen that it's finally clicking in a way it didn't when my friends in hs tried selling me on em (was always more into punk/hardcore/post-punk) but really how could i possibly dislike a band that tried titling an album skullfuck?

so far i've listened to:

27/08/1972 (veneta or)
europe 72
live/dead
skull & roses
dicks picks vol 1
road trips vol. 2.2 (valentines day 1968)
28/02/1969 and 01/03/1969 (fillmore west)

the dark star > st stephen > the eleven on a bunch of these is some of the best music i've heard in months...

anyway i guess i'm just looking at where to go next? the weirder darker louder and more out there the better, my interest in them mostly comes from my interest in improvised music (jazz/fusion, noise, eai, dj sets) and the psych/krautrock bands that took after them (amon düül, agitation free, hawkwind, bardo pond, etc)

If you really want to dive in with both feet I’d say you’re ready for Mickey Hart’s Mystery Box next.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

the freakiest 'dark star' i know is on the rockin the rhein set. gets full of feedback. this is a crummy aud sounding recording but the SBD is on spotify- you will probably enjoy if you like the more 'out' stuff

https://archive.org/details/gd72-04-24.sbd-aud.cotsman.16332.sbeok.shnf/gd72-04-24d3t01.shn

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

ty both

i suppose i should give grayfolded a listen at some point too?

in the meantime i have been listening to as many 68/69 sets as i can get my hands on

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Radio Spiricom posted:

ty both

i suppose i should give grayfolded a listen at some point too?

in the meantime i have been listening to as many 68/69 sets as i can get my hands on

If you really think you’re ready, I think live mystery box is the way to get into it. The studio album is good but not quite the same. You should start here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=01h-9W0wQXw

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
That reminds me- I was going to do a December '72 post, but then I noticed Grateful Dead Guide did one that basically says all that needs to be said: http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2009/12/december-1972.html

Anyhow, I listened to every Grateful Dead show from 1972. Outside of Veneta and Europe, the best ones are March 26 (officially released as Dave's Picks 14), September 21 (Dick's Picks 36), and November 17 (Dave's Picks 11). If you want a killer Dark Star, September 21 is your show. I feel like Veneta 8/27 and Spectrum 9/21 are the best overall shows of 1972, and I honestly don't know if I could pick a winner between them. The Dark Star-> El Paso/Morning Dew switcheroo is an essential Dead trick, so your best bet is to listen to both shows in depth.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

oh man the second two discs of dicks picks 16 :lsd:

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

this is also a great AUD, i feel that vibe and the crowd/room were crucial parts of the live dead experience so it's fun to have that ambiance. 'hard to handle' here just rips

https://archive.org/details/gd71-08-06.aud.sirmick.30224.sbeok.flacf

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

global tetrahedron posted:

this is also a great AUD, i feel that vibe and the crowd/room were crucial parts of the live dead experience so it's fun to have that ambiance. 'hard to handle' here just rips

https://archive.org/details/gd71-08-06.aud.sirmick.30224.sbeok.flacf

I'm going by memory, too lazy to go check it, but is this the one with "woo guy?"

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Juaguocio posted:

I feel like Veneta 8/27 and Spectrum 9/21 are the best overall shows of 1972, and I honestly don't know if I could pick a winner between them. The Dark Star-> El Paso/Morning Dew switcheroo is an essential Dead trick, so your best bet is to listen to both shows in depth.

Thanks for this recommendation, the Dark Star at Veneta is flooring me at the moment. The band sounds so in each other's heads.

I'll save anyone else the quick Google:
https://archive.org/details/gd72-08-27.sbd.orf.3328.sbeok.shnf/gd1972-08-27d3t02-orf.shn

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I always read that they were going to go into Morning Dew from the Veneta DS, but I honesty don't hear it... where/what timestamp makes people think that?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

I always read that they were going to go into Morning Dew from the Veneta DS, but I honesty don't hear it... where/what timestamp makes people think that?

Check out the Dark Star from 8/21/72: https://archive.org/details/gd1972-08-21.139581.sbd.miller.sirmick.flac16

It sounds to me like Jerry is building towards Morning Dew towards the end of DS, but then Bobby suddenly starts El Paso. I think they must have liked that idea, because the Veneta transition sounds like less of a surprise, as if they were anticipating Bobby throwing out another curveball.

Anyone getting on the bus for the summer Dead & Co. tour? I'm gonna do both dates at the Gorge.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Radio Spiricom posted:

oh man the second two discs of dicks picks 16 :lsd:

another good one is DP4, has excellent The Other One and Dark Star and plenty of that brittle primal dead psych sound. Bobby really shines on this one

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

another good one is DP4, has excellent The Other One and Dark Star and plenty of that brittle primal dead psych sound. Bobby really shines on this one

i listened to it fairly early on so i need to revisit but china rider and the other one>dark star>love light on it are definitely highlights

i'm going through europe 72 on spotify right now, vol. 7 (bremen) is pretty all over the place but jerry's playing on the other one is completely explosive, maybe one of my favorites so far

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 12, 2018

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Alright, it's confirmed, I'm road tripping down to the Gorge for June 7-8.

Anyone else getting on the bus for the summer tour?

Radio Spiricom posted:

i listened to it fairly early on so i need to revisit but china rider and the other one>dark star>love light on it are definitely highlights

i'm going through europe 72 on spotify right now, vol. 7 (bremen) is pretty all over the place but jerry's playing on the other one is completely explosive, maybe one of my favorites so far

Just in case you haven't seen the footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E26naDAZjHY

Watched it again just now, and I never noticed that Bobby breaks a string around the 9 minute mark.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 22, 2018

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Juaguocio posted:

Alright, it's confirmed, I'm road tripping down to the Gorge for June 7-8.

Anyone else getting on the bus for the summer tour?

Just in case you haven't seen the footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E26naDAZjHY

Watched it again just now, and I never noticed that Bobby breaks a string around the 9 minute mark.

I'll likely be at both gorge shows as well

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Taking my brother to the Gorge! Trying to convince myself to get to SF or LA too, my big regret after Autzen last year was only doing one show.

Pman5000
Feb 4, 2003

"You're so fuckin' money and you don't even know it"
Going to both SF shows.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Both Folsom shows.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
I'm debating doing the SF shows as well but just found out I got MPP tickets in the Phish lottery so not sure my PTO balance and wallet can make it happen

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
Anyone going to any of the Bob and Wolf Bros shows? I might go see them when they're in Cincy. It'll be my first Dead related show.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mummy Napkin posted:

Anyone going to any of the Bob and Wolf Bros shows? I might go see them when they're in Cincy. It'll be my first Dead related show.

I saw a couple of videos of their nye show. It was almost unlistenable. It’s like they couldn’t hear each other. Maybe the monitors weren’t working.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Radio Spiricom posted:

Mid 70’s Jerry Garcia band
Legion of Mary
The Pizza tapes - Jerry Garcia and David Grisman
Old and in the Way

I spent a summer working at a tie dye shop on Haight and it was run by 80’s nadir touch heads and they listened to a narrow range of shows on repeat. A lot of late 80s and early 90s Bobby heavy dead is just unlistenable in my opinion. I like late 70s til 82ish, that’s where their darker and more out there jamming is. The later stuff is a little more formulaic for obv reasons. I prefer JGB and side project content has a lot of soul. Then just skip to archive.org JRAD if you actually like dancing to the music.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Yiggy posted:

Mid 70’s Jerry Garcia band
Legion of Mary
The Pizza tapes - Jerry Garcia and David Grisman
Old and in the Way

I spent a summer working at a tie dye shop on Haight and it was run by 80’s nadir touch heads and they listened to a narrow range of shows on repeat. A lot of late 80s and early 90s Bobby heavy dead is just unlistenable in my opinion. I like late 70s til 82ish, that’s where their darker and more out there jamming is. The later stuff is a little more formulaic for obv reasons. I prefer JGB and side project content has a lot of soul.

All great recs but don't write off the mid-late 80s and 90s completely. As time goes on it does get formulaic and you gotta like Bobby but there are some good shows where the forumula breaks and things pop again. 84-85 get weird as Jerry stops being a reliably lead and the rest of the band step in (Berkley Community Theater, especially the later shows in 84, and Hershey Park in 85 are good examples imo) and the 1990 NYE show with Branford Marsalis is incredible (as is the earlier one @ Nassau with Brent).

The stuff Bralove brings in as time goes on - midi, digi drum sounds, Mickeys wilder indulgences - don't alllways land, but they're interesting coming from an electronic background, and sometimes they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXAADjchSSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z1sUBiqMsg

Oh and for dark weird improv the Daves Picks 23 show is a must.

Yiggy posted:

Then just skip to archive.org JRAD if you actually like dancing to the music.

Speaking of JRAD is it worth seeing them a week before I catch D&C? Been curious and I really wanna hear Rubin and Cherise this year

Also everyone in this thread should know about Relisten

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

JamesKPolk posted:

Speaking of JRAD is it worth seeing them a week before I catch D&C? Been curious and I really wanna hear Rubin and Cherise this year

Also everyone in this thread should know about Relisten

Yes. The jamming is really tight and the speed is nice. I think Meyer’s sound and tone are spot on and his chops are sharp but sometimes as a whole it’s still just moving a little too languorously for me. I’m going to catch JRAD next late May and I’m excited for a non festival set.

I caught them last at Waterloo the whole set is up on archive. It was transcendently good. I even really loved the Bobby stretches in the middle. Feel like a stranger was so hot. Their Bobby voice hits the right timbres. Russo’s flow is just wonderful I love watching his sticks just float around his kit. The audience was really weird and out of it so it had great crowd atmosphere too.

https://archive.org/details/JRAD2018-09-08.akg483.flac16

The old heads I camped with were really stoked on the Rubin and Cherise. I was crying when they moved into He’s gone, it was really smoky and heart wrenching.

quote:

One Set
01 Intro / Not Fade Away Jam @ >
02 Ruben & Cerise # >
03 Feel Like Stranger
04 Help On The Way >
05 Slipknot! % >
06 Throwing Stones ^ >
07 He’s Gone & >
08 Truckin’ > The Other One Jam > Truckin’ Reprise >
09 The Other One * >
10 Not Fade Away +

Notes

Taper's Note:
We had a very fast, low flying military jet fly over the festival. You can hear the jet at 7:55 into the song Ruben & Cerise (Track 2).

Band Notes:
@ - With a Dark Star Tease (Band)
# - With a Feel Like Stranger Tease (TH)
$ - With a Ruben & Cerise Tease (TH)
% - With Ruben & Cerise Teases (TH, MB, Band) & an I Know You Rider Esque Jam
^ - With an Unknown Tease (TH), multiple Ruben & Cerise Teases (MB, TH, Band), a Slipknot! Tease (Band), and a Feel Like Stranger Tease (TH)
& - With a Black Throated Wind Tease (SM) and a Ruben & Cerise Tease (MB)
* - With an MB & TH Duo Jam
+ - Started at the exact point where the Not Fade Away Jam / Intro opener left off. With a GDTRFB Tease (TH)

And I won’t deny there are some gems in there. I would occasionally walk over to the store iPad to check what show was streaming and some of the 82, 84 and 88 shows surprised me. Brent had some good tunes. I think I just heard Brother Esau’s too many times. And it’s so long. I don’t want to talk about lost sailor either.

I love Dear Mr. Fantasy so I’ll be checking out that uncle johns band you posted now that I finished my relisten of the above set

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 26, 2019

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

jrad fuckin rules, i'd bet john guests for a couple 3 songs

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

JamesKPolk posted:

JRAD is awesome, but it's kind of like a nonstop whirlwind of hard and fast jams that don't necessarily go anywhere... they can't really breathe, in my opinion, it's all balls-to-the-walls with eighteen different songs teased in one jam kind of stuff, but it's still a ton of fun. I've seen a few two-night runs from them and I'm always tired by the end of the second night, every jam just kinda melts together in a big mush.

But I also wouldn't skip seeing them unless I had a good reason... it's a drat fine place to dance, and hey, at least they play the songs at the right tempo. And Joe Russo is a demon on the drums.

Love me some D&C too, but god drat they could stand to put some cocaine in the coffee.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You’d assume that’s it’s Billy who’s responsible for having to do all the songs half speed, but it might just be Bobby. His stuff with the wolf boys or whoever they are is slow as poo poo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Where are all the Dead & Co recordings for this tour? Over a week since the first show and nothing's hit archive.org yet. I haven't been able to stay up late enough to catch any streams, especially for these west coast shows.