Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

movax posted:

My last AMD was an X2 ages ago for a low-power build. I think I want a 3900X to toss together a build-server / Linux workhorse at the office now. 12C/24T for $500 is loving nuts.

Asus put up a nice article detailing the differences between all their families of motherboards which I appreciated. Looks like they are planning a workstation board on X570 which is awesome. If it comes with a lovely little on-board GPU that would be the tits.

I feel dirty cheating after 20 years of running Intel hardware but can't justify the $$$ for performance here.

Welcome. The cost/performance was what convinced me to change as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is there going to be a non-X 3700 for under $300? I ask because the 3700X is probably going to be marked up to $350-$400 at launch.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Is there going to be a non-X 3700 for under $300? I ask because the 3700X is probably going to be marked up to $350-$400 at launch.

It's already the 65W part with 8 cores, don't worry about the marketing names.
Maybe AMD felt that the basic 1700/2700 name implied lackluster performance and retailers had to cut prices too deep on them to move stock, so now every 8core gets an X :)

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/planet3dnow/status/1137301707497582592?s=19

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Wonder what the floorspace difference is like...

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

According to the press release the Norwegian computer will have a footprint of only 14.78 m2:

quote:

The system comprises of 1344 compute nodes each equipped with 2 x 64core, next-generation AMD EPYC™ processors, code name ‘Rome’, for a total of 172032 cores installed on a total footprint of only 14.78m2. The total compute power will be close to 6Pflops.

The stats I find for the German computer doesn't directly mention the footprint but 7712 nodes in 41 cabinets probably takes up more space than that.

Edit: Picture of Hazel Zen:

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 8, 2019

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
What are the use cases for a system like that? Joke responses are also welcome.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

apropos man posted:

Calculating your mom’s weight.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Calculating her gravitational surface

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Stuff like this:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Drakhoran posted:

According to the press release the Norwegian computer will have a footprint of only 14.78 m2:

That's wild. The amount of cores/m2 is, uh, over 9000.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

apropos man posted:

Weather is big, CFD, and in the case of US national labs, nuclear weapons stockpile stewardship as we can’t actually blow up real nukes anymore so we have to use modeling to see if they will go boom when we want them too and not degrade unsafely.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Speaking of supercomputers, yesterday was announced that the main EuroHPC supercomputer will be located in Kajaani, Finland. Detailed specs haven't been revealed, but it should be 200+ petaflops, over 10 times as powerful as the current european top supercomputer. 450 m2.

https://datacenter.csc.fi/wp/about-eurohpc/

LUMI - Home of EuroHPC pre-exascale supercomputer ecosystem

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

movax posted:

I feel dirty cheating after 20 years of running Intel hardware but can't justify the $$$ for performance here.

No gods, no masters. Only cost-benefit analysis.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

movax posted:

Weather is big, CFD, and in the case of US national labs, nuclear weapons stockpile stewardship as we can’t actually blow up real nukes anymore so we have to use modeling to see if they will go boom when we want them too and not degrade unsafely.

Yup, climate modeling is the one you interact with daily.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT

apropos man posted:

Running Google Chrome

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FanofPortals posted:

Running Google Chrome

Can they add RAM fast enough to keep ahead of it though? :ohdear:

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
For a purely gaming build, would there be any advantage of a 3900x over a 3800x or vice versa?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Nobody knows yet. Wait for reviews.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Almost Smart posted:

For a purely gaming build, would there be any advantage of a 3900x over a 3800x or vice versa?

Magic 8ball says Yes.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Didn't somebody say that having twice the cache would result in fewer cache misses, which would really help the 1% and 0.1% frame time metrics and result in less hitching? That's the reason why I'm considering the 3900X.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The bigger cache should be a huge help for minimum frame times, but the inter-chiplet latency might wipe out any benefit from the cache. We won't know for sure until there's actual benchmarks.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I'm getting a 3900X for longevity mainly. Just in case games a few years from now suddenly start thirsting for more threads.

Or maybe this is just my ancient 2600k deluding me into thinking another 6-8 year lasting system is realistic. :downs:

3peat
May 6, 2010

Theris posted:

The bigger cache should be a huge help for minimum frame times, but the inter-chiplet latency might wipe out any benefit from the cache. We won't know for sure until there's actual benchmarks.

It may vary by game, but my magic balls say the single chiplet CPUs will fare better

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Threadkiller Dog posted:

I'm getting a 3900X for longevity mainly. Just in case games a few years from now suddenly start thirsting for more threads.

Or maybe this is just my ancient 2600k deluding me into thinking another 6-8 year lasting system is realistic. :downs:

I think something in the range of a 3900X or 9900K should still be adequate for games around 60 FPS in ~6 years. The 2500k/2600k were viable for so long because single threaded performance has only made relatively small improvements since they were released and there is not really any reason to expect that trend to change. If anything I suspect single threaded performance will increase less in the next 6 years than it has in the previous 6.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Also the next gen consoles are gonna have 8/16 Zen 2 based CPUs so anything similar to that or better should be good for a long time.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MaxxBot posted:

I think it's more that it doesn't scale as well so might as well use a cheap node, I think they will shrink the IO die eventually but no need to use the cutting edge node.

More or less this. The memory controller and external IO bits cost almost as much power and area on 14nm+ as they do on 7nm or whatever. Spending 10x as much on mask sets and yield losses to get the mem controller on 7nm vs. eating the 20% power cost and making it on 14nm makes good sense given how early the 7nm process is. Once EUV 7nm+ is a thing, they can probably recapture the area/power savings for less up front cost, but as it is, the choice to make the mem controller on 14nm made good financial and engineering sense.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I myself will probably just get a 3700X but I'm going to wait until the initial rush and price-gouging dies down first.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

spasticColon posted:

I myself will probably just get a 3700X but I'm going to wait until the initial rush and price-gouging dies down first.

It's ironic that I turned down building a i9-9900k system for myself because I balked at the $520 asking price for that CPU, yet here I am seriously considering a $499 3900X as an upgrade to my 2700X. :wtc:

Like you, I'll probably just sit back and wait a few months after launch just to see how Zen 2 shakes out in the field. Can't wait to see what prices look like come Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm almost certainly going to upgrade my 2700x, but not until benchmarks are out. It would be silly to get the 3900x if for some reason its performance gets matched or almost matched by, say the 3800x in games. I am going to upgrade and make a second system out of my spare 2700x though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Unless you're streaming it's very unlikely that the 3900x is going to be much of a gaming advantage over the 3600x, at least not until games start making better use of more cores/threads. The 2600x and 2700x already have nearly identical performance.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

Unless you're streaming it's very unlikely that the 3900x is going to be much of a gaming advantage over the 3600x, at least not until games start making better use of more cores/threads. The 2600x and 2700x already have nearly identical performance.

All very true, but we know that the 1600, for example, was outperformed by the equivalent i5 7600 when it launched, but now that same i5 has a lot of trouble with modern games that increasingly make use of threads. It turns out the 1600 was the correct long-term choice. So the 3900x could have more endurance in it if developers continue to make use of increasingly common cores.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but newest and hottest thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fknlo posted:

Yeah, but newest and hottest thing.

Possibly literally in both cases

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its gonna be funny when AMD brands the 16c AM4 part as a Threadripper

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm still on a older-than-dirt i5-2500k so I would have to build a new rig around a 3700X so hopefully there are some B450/X470 boards that will have Zen 2 support right out of the box. Does the MSI B450 Tomahawk support Zen 2? I don't want to spend $200+ on a X570 board and have to deal with a chipset fan. Or will B550 boards drop a month or two after Zen 2 releases?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
B450/X470 boards will still be available at release, do not go out and buy right now. It's all guesswork, just wait for the benches.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cygni posted:

Threadripper

aka when I bend over while wearing tight pants

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

spasticColon posted:

I'm still on a older-than-dirt i5-2500k so I would have to build a new rig around a 3700X so hopefully there are some B450/X470 boards that will have Zen 2 support right out of the box. Does the MSI B450 Tomahawk support Zen 2? I don't want to spend $200+ on a X570 board and have to deal with a chipset fan. Or will B550 boards drop a month or two after Zen 2 releases?

Most of the B450/X470 boards are supposed to support Zen 2 after the appropriate BIOS update, but I'm not sure if they'll come "Zen 2 Ready" straight from the box. I don't see anything wrong with buying a Tomahawk, even if you'd have to flash the BIOS just so your shiny new Zen 2 chip runs correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

It's ironic that I turned down building a i9-9900k system for myself because I balked at the $520 asking price for that CPU, yet here I am seriously considering a $499 3900X as an upgrade to my 2700X. :wtc:

The thing is, when I look at the prices of the 3800X and 3900X I feel like the 3900X is actually a decent deal. It's a *lot* of CPU for $400. If anything the 3800X is the member of the lineup that feels overpriced.

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Most of the B450/X470 boards are supposed to support Zen 2 after the appropriate BIOS update, but I'm not sure if they'll come "Zen 2 Ready" straight from the box. I don't see anything wrong with buying a Tomahawk, even if you'd have to flash the BIOS just so your shiny new Zen 2 chip runs correctly.

The Tomahawk is actually a great option because it has a bios flash with no CPU ability. That's definitely a priority feature for anyone buying a 4x0 mobo for Zen 2, since AMD won't be shipping out free old CPUs to flash the bios this time around.