Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It has a transplant scar in the same place because he had the old one removed and put on a new robo one, holy poo poo dude. You don't just chop off more of your natural body if you're getting rid of a possessed demon limb. And Fortune was magic in MGS2 in the end, what is with you and picking and choosing what's actually canon based on completely random poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It has a transplant scar in the same place because he had the old one removed and put on a new robo one, holy poo poo dude. You don't just chop off more of your natural body if you're getting rid of a possessed demon limb.

YES, EXACTLY! The transplant scar was below the elbow, but the artificial arm went up all the way to the shoulder!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And Fortune was magic in MGS2 in the end, what is with you and picking and choosing what's actually canon based on completely random poo poo.

She was magic once, not consistently magic like when Ocelot's bullet deflection machine was on. So there was the fake magic provided by Ocelot, and some nebulous amount of actual magic. But the actual magic doesn't matter, what matters is that Ocelot was faking magic

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Wtf is going on here? In MGS4 it was revealed Ocelot no longer had Liquid’s arm and he double crossed himself by hypnotizing himself to believe he was Liquid.* That’s discussed in the actual game. The PS3 database doesn’t matter bc it was probably created as marketing material independent of game development.

*He had previously hypnotized himself in MGSV to believe Venom is actually Big Boss even though he knew he wasn’t.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Death Stranding: 5 months of MGS talk until release!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I wonder why Kojima was so eager to get away from MGS 🤔

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Look Sir Droids posted:

Wtf is going on here? In MGS4 it was revealed Ocelot no longer had Liquid’s arm and he double crossed himself by hypnotizing himself to believe he was Liquid.* That’s discussed in the actual game. The PS3 database doesn’t matter bc it was probably created as marketing material independent of game development.

the argument is over whether it was revealed that Ocelot no longer had Liquid's arm, or if it was revealed that Ocelot never had Liquid's arm.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Gripweed posted:

The skin texture doesn't go all the way up like it should, but it still has the transplant scar in the exact same place. And it makes more sense because every other magic thing in MGS2 turned out to be a lie that Ocelot had a hand in. Fortune wasn't magic, Vamp wasn't actually a vampire, Ocelot wasn't really possessed by a ghost. There was real magic in MGS1, with the psychic and the ravens and all, but it was all a ruse in MGS2.

The other thing that always made me think that all the database entries were at least meant to be the intended truth is the bit when you're talking to Big Boss in 4 and he specifically mentions that Ocelot started doing the autosuggestion stuff after they learned the location of Zero, which would have been after the events of 2.

There's also a couple of other weird things - the voice actor switch doesn't really have a good explanation if it was a ruse the whole time imo, and neither does the fact that one of the "possessions" is when Ocelot is in the Ray cockpit and there's nobody else there to see him. There's also the thing where pointing the directional microphone at Ocelot results in two distinct heartbeats.

Tbh I think the likeliest answer is that Kojima, for whatever reason, changed his mind, and that the database explanations were created to come up with the best explanation they could manage for it, but who knows.

edit: Which I guess is to say that I think there's more interesting stuff to discuss w/r/t to the broader themes of identity in the series if you work from the premise that the takeover was real at first.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 8, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There's also the thing where pointing the directional microphone at Ocelot results in two distinct heartbeats.

I thought I knew everything about MGS2 but nope!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ocelot... was pregnant?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Ocelot... was pregnant?

The argument is over whether it was revealed that Ocelot aborted ghost Liquid, or if it was revealed that Ocelot had never been impregnated with Liquid's ghost.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's completely possible that Ocelot never had Liquid's arm, it was always a robot arm and he was always pretending to be possessed, but he was still also possessed by Liquid during MGS2

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Steve Yun posted:

Ocelot... was pregnant?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The last two pages are written in Kojimese and I love it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I kinda want to buy the Death Stranding tape

https://twitter.com/Katope21/status/1137329524666802177

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ocelot pretended to be possessed by Liquid but he copies everything he sees so he pretended to be possessed by Liquid because he was possessed by Liquid.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
After all these years of MGS, I’ll be relieved to play a nice, linear Kojima story without all the bullshit nonsense and made up words!

Fam?

FAM?!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

After all these years of MGS, I’ll be relieved to play a nice, linear Kojima story without all the bullshit nonsense and made up words!

Fam?

FAM?!

You will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

leading one to wonder why he specifically got Liquid's arm and stuck it on his stump in the first place

Ocelot...
can get a little creepy when it comes to Big Boss.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

the arm looks completely different between MGS2 and MGS4, of course it's different?? in MGS2 it's all skin tone, in MGS4 only the hand is

e: also imagine thinking Ocelot is actually right about "cutting edge technology" when (a) he is immediately undercut after saying that by a magic lady and then possessed by a ghost who speaks in a different voice to him and (b) the end of MGS4 reveals that the "cutting-edge technology" ladies were controlled by a psychic ghost the whole time

e2: ocelot's dad is a ghost ffs

cargohills fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 8, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ocelot was totally possessed by Liquid in MGS2 and if anyone disagrees I'll be waiting at the top of Mount Snakemore to beat the poo poo out of you

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The truth about Metal Gear is that Kojima will retcon absolutely anything for convenience because he is capable of neither planning ahead nor discipline.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Donovan Trip posted:

Compare Kojima to any other video game personality who does press conferences, they stand up there and talk about how many more pixels they're pushing in their newest game or try to redefine what a microtransaction is. Meanwhile Kojima talks about games like an artist talks about paintings-- he talks about process and tries to create something that the interpretation is more in the hands of the player. It's weird and awkward and provocative, he's refreshing in an industry run by MBAs.

Although I do wonder what it's like to have to work for him

I absolutely agree. He's still trying to sell but he clearly has a vision and believe in his art.

I showed that latest trailer to my 67 year old mom and she said, "oh gently caress, I wish this was a movie".

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

Ocelot was totally possessed by Liquid in MGS2 and if anyone disagrees I'll be waiting at the top of Mount Snakemore to beat the poo poo out of you

The raven on my head thirsts for your blood.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

CharlestonJew posted:

100% truth right here.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Here's the real question, if Ocelot never trusts a Frenchman why didn't he go to a different surgeon :thunk:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Because when you are having your unrequited crush's clone son's arm attached to your own you want someone who won't ask questions. Especially if you're a wanted fugitive.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Here's the real question, if Ocelot never trusts a Frenchman why didn't he go to a different surgeon :thunk:

This is a joke but Im 100 % sure its because Solidus actually paid the whole thing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WaltherFeng posted:

This is a joke but Im 100 % sure its because Solidus actually paid the whole thing
Honestly, yeah, I assume that's why, he had to go to whoever was off the grid that the Patriots couldn't swoop up and arrest him during

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just saw the trailer for Gemini Man and it looks super Metal Gear-ish. Shame the eventual MG film is probably going to be terrible.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Edit: Wrong thread

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

I ordered the death stranding promotional tape, which has constructed a "strand" between kojima's wallet and my own. Revolutionary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1138268302201958400

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Forget that I want Fragile’s weird glass umbrella

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
According to Stefanie Joosten, the model who was the face for Quiet, Kojima had asked her to play Fragile in DS and then never followed up.

https://youtu.be/J5Grr35FwnI

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Sometimes I get a funny feeling that Kojima is paying all these actors so he can pretend that they're his friends.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Adaptabullshit posted:

According to Stefanie Joosten, the model who was the face for Quiet, Kojima had asked her to play Fragile in DS and then never followed up.

https://youtu.be/J5Grr35FwnI

Kojima throws out the lines and when the biggest fish bites he reels it in and boats away.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

Look Sir Droids posted:

*He had previously hypnotized himself in MGSV to believe Venom is actually Big Boss even though he knew he wasn’t.
Holy gently caress what the poo poo are ya'll talking about. I guess I should be glad I opted for an Xbox in 2001 and missed out on everything past MGS 1.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Skeletron posted:

Holy gently caress what the poo poo are ya'll talking about. I guess I should be glad I opted for an Xbox in 2001 and missed out on everything past MGS 1.

If you are in the Death Stranding thread because you are interested in Death Stranding, you've done yourself an enormous disservice missing out on MGS2 forward.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah MGS2 is a cultural treasure.

I remember my dad buying me a PS2 + MGS2 package that they used to sold pack then? That was a thing right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

cargohills posted:

e: also imagine thinking Ocelot is actually right about "cutting edge technology" when (a) he is immediately undercut after saying that by a magic lady and then possessed by a ghost who speaks in a different voice to him and (b) the end of MGS4 reveals that the "cutting-edge technology" ladies were controlled by a psychic ghost the whole time

e2: ocelot's dad is a ghost ffs

poo poo like this is the best part of the series. Where they try to do this deep tech wank bullshit about nanomachines and self-hypnosis, but it's contrasted immediately by the fact that Ocelot's dad is just this cool ghost bro that has been following us around for like a century at this point just helping out when he can.