Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Unlike previous versions of Windows, license authorization persists across formats and reinstalls. So it has to store a key somewhere in firmware.

Windows PCs also have security features that don’t play well with dual booting, but they can be disabled in firmware settings. Ideally, Apple would do something similar rather than head down further down the path of “we know what’s good for you, and that’s disposing standardization and marrying hardware to operating systems in the interest of greater security and no you don’t get any choice in the matter.”

If they do that, they’re just inviting the “yes, Linux can run on an [x]” crowd to break it just like they used to 20 years ago when Macs were especially closed platforms and technologies.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Unlike previous versions of Windows, license authorization persists across formats and reinstalls. So it has to store a key somewhere in firmware.

Windows PCs also have security features that don’t play well with dual booting, but they can be disabled in firmware settings. Ideally, Apple would do something similar rather than head down further down the path of “we know what’s good for you, and that’s disposing standardization and marrying hardware to operating systems in the interest of greater security and no you don’t get any choice in the matter.”

If they do that, they’re just inviting the “yes, Linux can run on an [x]” crowd to break it just like they used to 20 years ago when Macs were especially closed platforms and technologies.

I don't think that is what's going on. The license authorization is actually a hardware hash not a stored key. Could be wrong but its probably something else.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are they not just the secure boot certificates?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
couple of questions:

1) Only one output of my video card seems to work (a displayport); i gather this is because it's the "lowest number/letter" of the card or something along those lines; I'm only running one monitor, but if i were to want multiple monitors, how would I get the other ports to work?

2) I keep seeing stuff about the 15 port usb limit. I know exactly which ports I want/need to be those <15 ports (6x rear = 12, +1x usb2 inside the case); is there a guide to get this all set up properly? I do have usbinjectall but I have also read that it's not a good idea? I'm using a hub from one of the ports, and I have also read that this isn't a problem

3) under the system info, it does not show the correct (overclocked) clockspeed, and it also now only shows "imac"; how would I get this all to show up correctly?

4) I understand the basics of a DSDT, to provide the most accurate system info to the system, but:
a) if I change any bios(uefi) settings, do I have to generate a new dsdt?
b) how important is this? I'm not using any special dsdts, and it seems to be running? or does it just get better?
c) I have attempted the f4 on boot, extract, run the script and open the dsdt.dsl/aml file, but I'm stuck there

5) sleep doesn't work. I want sleep to work. gently caress me right

hardware/software:
i7 4790k
asus maximus vii hero
2x8gb something or another
msi rx570 8gb "oc armor"

"vanilla" install of 10.13.6
system definition of imac 14,2

kexts:
applealc
fakesmc_acpisensors, cpusensors, gpusensors, lpcsensors, smmsensors
fakesmc
intelmausiethernet
lilu
usbinjectall
whatevergreen

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 3, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wild EEPROM posted:

kexts:

fakesmc_acpisensors, cpusensors, gpusensors, lpcsensors, smmsensors

What is going on with this?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Wild EEPROM posted:

2) I keep seeing stuff about the 15 port usb limit. I know exactly which ports I want/need to be those <15 ports (6x rear = 12, +1x usb2 inside the case); is there a guide to get this all set up properly? I do have usbinjectall but I have also read that it's not a good idea? I'm using a hub from one of the ports, and I have also read that this isn't a problem

5) sleep doesn't work. I want sleep to work. gently caress me right

On an ASUS board with a 4770 I did not have to do anything about the 15 port limit.

As for sleep, it kept immediately waking back up until I turned off wake on LAN in the Energy Saver preference pane. This is a bummer because I want WOL, but it does let it sleep properly.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

BobHoward posted:

On an ASUS board with a 4770 I did not have to do anything about the 15 port limit.

As for sleep, it kept immediately waking back up until I turned off wake on LAN in the Energy Saver preference pane. This is a bummer because I want WOL, but it does let it sleep properly.

I did another look through the manual and apparently I have:
2x back usb2 = 2
4x back usb3 = 8
1x usb3 header = 2
2x internal usb2 header = 2
total = 14

so I guess I can take off usbinjectall then, cool.

I turned off wake off lan, and sleep works. cool.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

What is going on with this?

with those kexts i can use sensors to monitor my stuff. it works with hwmonitor and the intel thing now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cool, so all that's left is video ports and system info is wrong?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Yup

And I guess, just the general questions about how useful a proper dsdt is

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mayodreams posted:

I did the same thing on my Mini 9. It was practically unusable and I sold it after like 6 months.

Weird. I used my Mini 9 hack for a couple of years until the battery died. Totally fine.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well I'm back on the hackintosh train after buying an i3 NUC to replace my ancient 2007 Mac Mini for TV stuff.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Does Nvidia 680 still work under Mojave, given that it used to have its own driven already in OS X and didn't rely on Web Driver?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's supposed to, though you often find one or two "it doesn't work!" posts among the "worked fine for me."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

~Coxy posted:

Does Nvidia 680 still work under Mojave, given that it used to have its own driven already in OS X and didn't rely on Web Driver?

Yes it does as I have an original EVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition running under Mojave.

Apple seems to have made the Mojave installer slightly more forgiving with the latest 10.14.3 installer; was able to get a 5,1 running with a GTX 770 pulled from an old Windows machine.

I had tried with the original 10.14.0 installer and it just LOL'ed and said no Metal card found.

BTW, for Mac Pro 5,1 and 4,1 flashed to 5,1 owners, it's important to remember:

The full installer for 10.13.6 flashes your BootROM to 138.0.0.0, which fixes an important bug in previous firmware, where if you have an ATI / AMD GPU it will only run at 2.5 GT/sec unless you remove an undocumented resistor from the card. With 138.0.0.0 ATI/AMD GPUs run at full 5 GT/sec regardless of mods. 138.0.0.0 also adds the ability to boot from APFS containers.

The full installer for 10.14+ flashes your BootROM up from 138.0.0.0 to 140.0.0.0, which adds the NVMe driver from the 6,1 firmware, allowing you to boot the Mac Pro 5,1 from an internal NVMe SSD placed on a PCIe carrier card.

BootROM 141.0.0.0 is being shipped with betas of 10.14.4, but as to date nobody knows what the changes OR benefits are yet, security patches I would assume.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
STILL no hackintosh for my T25 Thinkpad / T470?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

STILL no hackintosh for my T25 Thinkpad / T470?

Literally first google result? https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/9z3ax6/success_mojave_on_my_thinkpad_t470/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So far so good with the NUC. Sleep works which is a first for any Hack I've had :). Have to go deeper into RehabMan's guides to see why my dual core i3 shows 4 cpus in Activity Monitor, I'm sure it's a SMBIOS or DSDT entry that needs to be tweaked.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Chris Knight posted:

So far so good with the NUC. Sleep works which is a first for any Hack I've had :). Have to go deeper into RehabMan's guides to see why my dual core i3 shows 4 cpus in Activity Monitor, I'm sure it's a SMBIOS or DSDT entry that needs to be tweaked.

Some i3s now have hyperthreading, congrats you have 4 hardware threads

Example:

https://ark.intel.com/products/95442/Intel-Core-i3-7100U-Processor-3M-Cache-2_40-GHz

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Can you literally post the first result that has a working build? I kinda need wifi on a laptop.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

what wifi card do you have

then google your wifi card + macos

if it's one of the supported ones then you may just need a single kext

if it's not then buy a card that is supported.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Can you literally post the first result that has a working build? I kinda need wifi on a laptop.

Lol :) WiFi is one of those things that Hacks have to go outside the box for.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have an Intel wifi card and apparently there is zero support for Intel wifi cards.

That's all good, but I googled a card that's supported well in OSX and when I opened up my laptop to install it the card slot was a different design.

So how do you find a card that works?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

By chipset.

Look up what type of slot your laptop has (mini pcie, mini pci, etc) and then go from there.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Or you could do one of the USB ones if you aren’t having any luck and you can deal with that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Wild EEPROM posted:

By chipset.

Look up what type of slot your laptop has (mini pcie, mini pci, etc) and then go from there.

I have no idea how to do that. Googling "t470 wifi slot" is just a bunch of trash links.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Lenobo has a wifi card whitelist in BIOS that can technically be bypassed but it's no easy feat.

It's a mini PCIe slot.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So if I'm piecing this together right, I need to find a mini PCIe wifi card that OSX supports that is also on a whitelist? But your implication is that is unlikely / impossible and I need to override the whitelist?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

macOS has drivers for mostly Broadcom / Atheros chipsets, more Broadcom than Atheros though (because guess what, that's what Apple shoves into their machines except for the most recent ones.) Others like Ralink are supported by third party macOS drivers.

There's zero support for Intel WiFi cards because Apple doesn't use them as a wifi vendor.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

revmoo posted:

So if I'm piecing this together right, I need to find a mini PCIe wifi card that OSX supports that is also on a whitelist? But your implication is that is unlikely / impossible and I need to override the whitelist?

Yes. Last time I looked at the whitelist stuff (which was a while ago) you had to disassemble the bios, patch it, then flash it and hope it worked.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

~Coxy posted:

Lenobo has a wifi card whitelist in BIOS that can technically be bypassed but it's no easy feat.

It's a mini PCIe slot.

The whitelist seems to have disapeared after the Broadwell series of laptops (T450/T550/X250 etc.)

Source: I just installed a Dell DW1820A (BCM94350ZAE) card in my T560 for Hackintosh purposes.

revmoo posted:

This is the exact card I bought from the exact seller. And this was after I mistakenly purchased a Mini-PCIe card M.2 Keyed E for a Yoga 3 Pro when I needed a M.2 keyed A&E.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 21, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Broadcom based chipset (BCM) so it ought to work.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hopefully someone here can help me out with Clover and why it's doing this fuckery.

I installed CCC and backed up my macOS drive. Near the end, it asks if I want to clone the Recovery partition so I'm thinking "sure" and click yes. It takes a little bit of time, but eventually finishes up seemingly without a hitch. I reboot my computer and get to Clover, but I now only see the back up drive. When I try to boot into macOS from it, it gets to about 80% on the loading bar, and then restarts. But in reality, all I care *a lot* about is getting my original macOS drive to show up again. Not sure what to do or how to fix or what went wrong.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Try using a known good clover stick or make one to see if you can boot first.

Otherwise since you have a backup, copy out the clover config/kext, wipe drive, reinstall MacOS then use migration to restore your user data. You will have an opportunity to do this without having to create a temporary account if you like. I am sure there are more elegant options, but I don't know them and flattening it will work.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

LODGE NORTH posted:

When I try to boot into macOS from it, it gets to about 80% on the loading bar, and then restarts.

This exact nonsense happened to me last week.
I was on El Capitan and it wouldn't boot anymore, exactly as you described it.

TLDR version: I ended up swapping my 1TB boot/system drive for a blank 1TB drive and having to reinstall from scratch and install Clover in legacy boot mode (ga-z68x-ud3h-b3).

That's somewhat oversimplifying it... but the longer version revolves around 2 days of trying to figure out why it won't boot, fighting with Gigabyte's moronic Dual Bios which fails to boot half the time and randomly dumps it's settings. Remembering to put the SATA mode back to AHCI makes the drive visible to Clover / MacOS. It was invisible with IDE mode and every time I unplugged the thing or it decided to reset itself - it would revert...

What I ended up doing was installing El Capitan from my bootable install USB that I had made almost 3 years or whatever ago and installing to a portable usb hard drive that I borrowed from my XBOX One - then plugging my old boot drive in and retrieving the "install Sierra" file that had been collecting dust forever, making a bootable USB installer from that and THEN installing on my clean drive - followed by running the migration assistant to pull all the data over from my old drive (over USB it took 9 hours) and put it back where it belongs on Sierra.

I suspect it would have worked if I could have just booted directly into MacOS from another drive and reinstalled Clover in Legacy boot mode (for my system).

Since 16-32 gb flash drives are about $3-5 each it is now my plan to have a bootable fully installed instance of my current OS with all the tools handy.
If this is too rambly I blame my head injury.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Are there any USB Wifi adapters that work with Mojave? Everything else on my laptop install works flawlessly, I just don't have easily accessible ethernet ports in my apartment.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m a dumb baby who just did the Hackintosh thing for the first time, so excuse me. This Optiplex came with Win10 installed on a spinny drive.

I unplugged that drive and installed Mojave on a new SSD with Clover. Everything seems to be working, so now I’d like to plug that original drive back in and dual-boot Windows.

Is that something I setup in the Clover config tool from MacOS, something I change in Clover at boot time? Will Windows complain about not being on the first SATA port anymore?

I haven’t touched anything but Apple laptops in a decade, so I’m out of my element. I just wanted a cheap garage Mac I could fill with sawdust.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nope.

However booting into Windows via the Clover boot menu doesn't work if you use the icons in that configuration. You will have to select "Exit Clover" which bypasses the bootloader and goes back the the normal startup process. If you want to use Clover to boot Windows you need to pre format the disk with an GUID/EFI partition. The format of the main partition can be whatever before the install as long as Windows installer can see that space and format that to NTFS.

Or use bios to point to what you want to start up. It's easier just to point to Clover as the bios start-up menu is much slower.

So it depends on how important you think pressing the right arrows a couple times means to you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Surely his Win10 is already going to be installed with an EFI bootloader.

Clover chains fine into Windows for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It doesn't for me and I looked it up wondering wtf as it worked fine before. I had completely wiped the disk letting Win10 do whatever. Haven't been arse to reinstall since I can always just exit Clover.

Maybe I am missing something. If I am I definitely wouldn't mind knowing.