Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Boxing news roundup for today

-Anthony Joshua reflects on his loss in a video on his youtube channel. He basically reiterated the same points as he did in the immediate post fight -the loss doesn't change him, he had a good camp and will exercise the rematch clause- but it was nice to hear him do so without just having sufferd a traumatic brain injury
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohuf1yRror0

-Maurice Hooker vs Jose Ramirez in a WBO/WBC 140 lb. eliminator is set for July 27th taking place in Arlington, Texas (not AT&T Stadium of course) on DAZN. It's effectively the other half of the Matchroom/Top Rank swap with Luke Campbell fighting Lomachenko on ESPN likely on August 31st. If Hooker wins the chances are higher he fights the WBSS champion, either Josh Taylor or Regis Prograis, and the division is fully unified for the second time in three year.

https://twitter.com/DAZN_USA/status/1136416707046719488

-Sergey Kovalev claims Anthony Yarde has pulled out of their fight and he in negotiations to take place in a tournament which is widely believed to be the 3rd season of the WBSS. I think the division is ripe for a tournament as there are a lot of names but not a lot of stars.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1136306475800977409

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can they just make the tournament with those 4 fighters rather than adding 4 others?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Honesty all of the big 3 heavyweights are extremely vulnerable, which is a big part of what makes the division so exciting right now.

What's fury's vulnerability? Earnest question

I don't think he's TBE or anything, but he seems pretty solid

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
the WBSS light heavy tournament seems too good to be true. Has Top Rank ever allowed one of their fighters to take part in one?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Monday Bandele posted:

the WBSS light heavy tournament seems too good to be true. Has Top Rank ever allowed one of their fighters to take part in one?

They gave not and if it really happens I suspect they would not let Gvozdyk and Zurdo in. If that happens and the tournament does happen I think it would be something like this (in seeding order):

Bivol, Kovalev, Beterbiev, Browne. Unseeded would be Smith Jr, Jack, Buatsi, Pascal

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

He's prone to hitting the coke and pies and his fights are poo poo to watch.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah, Fury's mental state is his vulnerability. He's very open about how he struggles with depression and mania, and there's always the risk that he relapses into drug use. Makes it hard to predict where his head is at going into any given fight, or how well he prepared ahead of time.

I think he's the best of the big three (or four) right now and believe he will win the Wilder rematch by a wider margin than he should have won last time, but I still wouldn't be too eager to lay money on him without some really compelling odds.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Can they just make the tournament with those 4 fighters rather than adding 4 others?

Having eight fighters means they can promote the championship matches in the first round to get people hyped for the semifinals and beyond. It's a way to build up the tournament, which itself is a way to build up these title fights. An eight-man tournament also gets around criticisms that some good contender was frozen out of the tournament or avoided.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is by far the most active I can remember a boxing thread being which has to be a good sign for boxing generally

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

In addition to the mental thing, he's pretty low activity. He's also got a weakness to body shots that nobody has really seemed to be able to capitalize on yet, but its there. His chin isn't exactly granite either, but I can't argue with his defense and recovery.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

According to badlefthook, Gennadiy Golovkin (gonna take me some time to get used to that spelling) is anywhere from a 40-1 favorite all the way to a 100-1 favorite against Rolls. Meaning if you wanted to win $100 betting on him to win, you would have to bet a whopping $10,000. Rolls is something like a 15-1 underdog. Good luck making money on this fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

According to badlefthook, Gennadiy Golovkin (gonna take me some time to get used to that spelling) is anywhere from a 40-1 favorite all the way to a 100-1 favorite against Rolls. Meaning if you wanted to win $100 betting on him to win, you would have to bet a whopping $10,000. Rolls is something like a 15-1 underdog. Good luck making money on this fight.

Even after.last week I just cannot believe that Rolls will win. Hell, I will :toxx: that if Steve Rolls beat Gennadiy Golovkin on Saturday I will donate $250 to a charity of your (ninth layer)'s choosing

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Even after.last week I just cannot believe that Rolls will win. Hell, I will :toxx: that if Steve Rolls beat Gennadiy Golovkin on Saturday I will donate $250 to a charity of your (ninth layer)'s choosing

Hell, if this happens I'll match you. :toxx:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Make it something related to brain injuries if it happens

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is fun; I'm thinking much smaller but I'll go the other way and donate $20 to same if GGG stops (doesn't go to a decision) him.

:toxx:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Fury's weakness is the anti-doping agencies. If they'd done their job even half properly he'd not even been in the ring with wlad

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Fury's weakness is the anti-doping agencies. If they'd done their job even half properly he'd not even been in the ring with wlad

What was the real story with that? I've only heard Fury's side that he was innocent.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

willie_dee posted:

What was the real story with that? I've only heard Fury's side that he was innocent.

Tyson (and Hughie) Fury had a positive test for elevated levels of nandrolone in February 2015. For reasons never explained very well by UKAD, they had a whole lot of trouble moving forward with this and nothing was brought to general attention until the following year, when Tyson tested positive for cocaine. My understanding is that there was some mismanagement of test results that lead to this not being reported or something like that. Neither one tested positive for nandrolone in any following test, because of that and the financial/legal issues UKAD was having, they basically dropped any official proceedings against the fighters at the end of 2017.

Fury took the classic contaminated meat defense, saying that eating uncastrated wild boar caused his elevated levels of nandrolone. I don't know if this is a scientifically valid excuse. (E: If I'm reading this excerpt right, the answer is maybe)

I found this tidbit, which is a bit loaded, but you might find interesting:

quote:

Among its side effects are wild mood swings, baldness and kidney damage.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 7, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol do they just search that site for any excuse that might be valid

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm sure the boxer who repeatedly said doping should be allowed and has dropped huge amounts of weight in incredibly short timeframes just ate some wild boar.

He pissed hot in Feb 2015 so shouldn't have been in the ring in July.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nandrolone from wild boar is the dumbest loving excuse, managing to be even worse than Frank Mir's turinabol from wild kangaroo. At least turinabol is oral, so you could see it being an a wild animal somehow, through a ridiculously dumb series of events which would never happen. Nandrolone is injected, so good loving luck. Is someone running around giving injections of expensive steroids to random wild pigs? And even then, it's unlikely that it would survive his digestion etc etc.

The only PED I've heard of getting into someone's system verifiably through meat is clenbuterol, which gets used in Chinese and Mexican agriculture.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I personally think all (or at least most) top boxers are juicing, and only the dumber ones get caught.

I'm of mixed minds about it. In a perfect world all athletes would be clean and boxers would compete man vs man. But even without PEDs boxers who are wealthier, more successful or better supported are going to have advantages, and PEDs exacerbate those advantages because those are the boxers with the means to juke testing protocols.

We don't live in a perfect world and athletes are going to take risks to get a competitive edge, I'd almost rather they just did it in the open instead of all of us just pretending it's not happening. But I also think I'd rather live in a world where athletes make at least a token effort to appear clean, rather than one where pharmaceutical companies are openly sponsoring super soldier athletes.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Andy Ruiz says that if AJ wants the rematch in the UK, he wants $50 million.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/6/7/18656248/andy-ruiz-jr-they-have-to-give-me-50-million-to-rematch-anthony-joshua-in-uk-boxing

Doubt he's getting that much but was interested to learn he made around $7 million for the first fight, which isn't bad at all, and that's before whatever endorsements and commerical deals it sounds like he's getting.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah guys, to be clear, I think the tainted meat excuse is bullshit. I was just saying I didn't even know if that was a possible way to test positive. Apparently it might be, but I do think it's self evidently unlikely that Fury just happened to eat a bunch of Boar testicles the day before his drug test.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The SituAsian posted:

I'm feeling pretty spicy so I'll add on to this :toxx: that if GGG does not stop Steve "Texas Roadhouse has the best dinner" Rolls I will donate $100 to a charity of Mr. ninth Layer's choosing

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Andy Ruiz says that if AJ wants the rematch in the UK, he wants $50 million.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/6/7/18656248/andy-ruiz-jr-they-have-to-give-me-50-million-to-rematch-anthony-joshua-in-uk-boxing

Doubt he's getting that much but was interested to learn he made around $7 million for the first fight, which isn't bad at all, and that's before whatever endorsements and commerical deals it sounds like he's getting.

good for him. he brutally knocked out the consensus best heavyweight on a month's notice while working as a part time security guard and looking like a full time security guard. get paid.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

good for him. he brutally knocked out the consensus best heavyweight on a month's notice while working as a part time security guard and looking like a full time security guard. get paid.

Yea and he’s intelligent enough to realize a) they need a rematch to beat him very badly and b) they’ll want it on their terms, so he can be a dick about it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ruiz better not let the fight get to the UK

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Is there anything interesting on the undercard for Golovkin tomorrow

Tix are pretty affordable so I’m thinking about going lol, what the hell

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

GalacticAcid posted:

Is there anything interesting on the undercard for Golovkin tomorrow

Tix are pretty affordable so I’m thinking about going lol, what the hell

The lead promoter of the event is actually GGG Promotions so basically it's prospects from the 'stans. I'll let Scott Christ from Bad Left Hook speak but I've literally never heard of any of these guys. But if you can get to the Garden without much cost in terms of time and money I would say why not. At the very least it should be a big drama show. And of course in light of last week-though I hope not for my wallet's sake-something totally bananas could always happen too

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/6/5/18652406/golovkin-vs-rolls-preview-analysis-breakdown-matchup-odds-who-will-win-dazn-boxing-undercard

Scott Christ in Bad Left Hook posted:

Super middleweight Ali Akhmedov (14-0, 10 KO) of Kazakhstan will face Marcus McDaniel (15-0, 2 KO) of New Orleans. McDaniel, like Rolls, is a 35-year-old unbeaten unknown, but he did pick up a win over rugged (and shot) veteran Bryan Vera on Feb. 9.

Junior middleweight Charles Conwell (9-0, 7 KO), a 21-year-old from Cleveland and a 2016 U.S. Olympian, returns against Courtney Penningon (12-3-3, 5 KO).

Junior middleweight Israil Madrimov (2-0, 2 KO) of Uzbekistan is looking to move relatively fast as a pro. He debuted in November, stopping Vladimir Hernandez in six, and beat Frank Rojas in two on March 9. The 24-year-old now faces Norberto Gonzalez (23-12, 13 KO), a 37-year-old Mexican who has lost four straight.

Maybe the most interesting of the undercard matchups is an eight-round welterweight fight between New York’s Brian Ceballo (8-0, 4 KO) and Kazakhstan’s Bakhtiyar Eyubov (14-0-1, 12 KO). Ceballo, 25, is that sort of prospect who may or may not be something, he kinda rides the line and it’s hard to gauge his upside right now. He’s not some overwhelming talented, but he does have skills. Eyubov, 32, is old for a prospect and hasn’t always looked great, anyway. He won a split decision over Karim Mayfield back in 2016, and scored a nice stoppage over Nicholas Givan in 2018. But last time out on Feb. 15 in Kansas, he went to a really disappointing draw with journeyman Jose Luis Rodriguez. So this fight with Ceballo is kinda make-or-break for Eyubov.

Promising 20-year-old middleweight Nikita Ababiy (4-0, 4 KO) will face an opponent to be named in a six-rounder. We last saw Ababiy on April 20 in London, where he won a TKO-2 on the Allen-Browne card.

Johnathan Arroyo (3-0-1, 1 KO) will face Jordan Morales (3-7, 2 KO) in a four-round welterweight bout. Arroyo is 32 and coming off of a draw with a guy who was 1-6, so don’t be fooled by the record, he’s not a prospect.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Nice thanks a ton.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Going with a couple friends. I live off the E line so getting to MSG is about as easy at it gets. Should be fun, I’ve never gone to a pro match before.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Live fights are a ton of fun, I definitely recommend getting there early enough that you can see a bunch of undercard fights.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Got cheap, lovely seats way up in the nose bleeds, was enjoying the first two undercard fights...then an usher hooked me and my two boys up with section 115 seats for free for some reason

This is tight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Got cheap, lovely seats way up in the nose bleeds, was enjoying the first two undercard fights...then an usher hooked me and my two boys up with section 115 seats for free for some reason

This is tight

That happens when the seats aren't full. They want the fans to be as close to the ring as possible for the cameras.

Kind of telling though, I guess they had trouble selling this. Super cool for you though!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pretty decent undercard fight going on, style wise.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
McDaniel got completely owned, jfc

Ceballo’s fight was fantastic though. Had a good New York cheering section too.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Golovkin is the favorite, listed between -1232 and -10000 on various books. Rolls, unbeaten and untested at this level, is between +670 and +2100. The -1232 and +670 odds are from the same book

lol

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah Ceballo's a guy to watch for sure.

War GGG!!

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 9, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Just getting into regular boxing viewing. Why does it look like Rolls has way bigger gloves than GGG? Am I crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
WE NEED MORE ROBE FACTS