Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

al-azad posted:

I have to eat fistfuls with literally every meal

What's the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

fermented bean sprouts are cool and good

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

al-azad posted:

I wish I could get them in quantities smaller than "a loving trash bag" but I have to eat fistfuls with literally every meal to not waste them.

Yeah, that's how Big Beansprout gets you - I've hardly ever been able to eat my way though a bag of bean sprouts before they go bad and that's while piling them into dinners for 4 days plus just eating them out of the bag as snacks.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Jeoh posted:

fermented bean sprouts are cool and good

Yeah I'd say pickle 'em.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Bean sprouts are really easy to grow, you can just make small batches.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can do this to make them last longer: https://www.koreanbapsang.com/kongnamul-muchim-seasoned-soybean/

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Whole Foods has tiny containers of beansprouts for $4 if you feel like paying more for less (waste).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Amergin posted:

Yeah I'd say pickle 'em.

Do they pickle well? I do a rice vinegar quick pickle for cucumbers that is quite nice, might repurpose that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chili oil and chinkiang vinegar might be my new favorite combination. :yum:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Get yourself a bottle of shaanxi vinegar if you can. It’s more mature and sharper than the jiangsu stuff. I actually like the taste a lot more

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
are those the 'earthy' vinegars they serve in dumpling joints?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's generally going to be some form of Zhenjiang/Chinkiang black vinegar. I don't think I've ever had Shaanxi vinegar.

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

Tried to make I think it’s called 紅油抄手?

It was actually pretty good! Did the “vinegar at the bottom, pour hot oil over chili flakes and aromatics” thing and it worked quite nicely. Not a great picture but it was tasty.

I hate folding wontons tho.

Can you send me the recipe? Have to give it a try!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chalkece posted:

Can you send me the recipe? Have to give it a try!

The filling was complete crap that I winged (bog standard pork meatball) and the wrappers were store-bought, there’s nothing fancy or notable going on. I pretty much just searched 紅油抄手 on youtube and mimicked what they did in those videos cuz I don’t speak Chinese. It is not even slightly correct, and I don’t remember where I got the soy-sauce-and-vinegar-at-the-bottom thing anyway :blush:

This dude’s version seems tasty, and he has a cool cat: https://youtu.be/HhZQqiW3ciw

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude
I've never really cooked with Sichuan peppercorn before and I bought a bag of dried peppercorns recently. The the bag states that I need to soak, clean, and then boil them for 15 minutes or they could be dangerous to my health. There are small twigs in the mixture so obviously cleaning them is a good idea. But the boiling seems weird to me. Can I just clean and roast them?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

dudemanbudguy posted:

I've never really cooked with Sichuan peppercorn before and I bought a bag of dried peppercorns recently. The the bag states that I need to soak, clean, and then boil them for 15 minutes or they could be dangerous to my health. There are small twigs in the mixture so obviously cleaning them is a good idea. But the boiling seems weird to me. Can I just clean and roast them?

if that's true I'm going to be dead extremely soon

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

dudemanbudguy posted:

What in the unholy gently caress no you don't have to do any of that

They're already dried. Throw a handful in with your other aromatics. Usually the same time as you're adding the dried chilies. If you want check to make sure there aren't any of the pits (small, round, black) and you can remove the twigs I guess but nobody in Sichuan bothers.

No roasting, no grinding, no soaking, no boiling, no. They're ready to go as-is. Whoever wrote that on the bag is a moron.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are you sure you bought the right thing?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't like 红油抄手

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude

Grand Fromage posted:

What in the unholy gently caress no you don't have to do any of that

They're already dried. Throw a handful in with your other aromatics. Usually the same time as you're adding the dried chilies. If you want check to make sure there aren't any of the pits (small, round, black) and you can remove the twigs I guess but nobody in Sichuan bothers.

No roasting, no grinding, no soaking, no boiling, no. They're ready to go as-is. Whoever wrote that on the bag is a moron.

Okay, I thought I was going crazy... why would I rehydrate something I want dried?! I'm guessing this is some legal warning to protect themself when some idiot inevitably eats a handful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

dudemanbudguy posted:

Okay, I thought I was going crazy... why would I rehydrate something I want dried?! I'm guessing this is some legal warning to protect themself when some idiot inevitably eats a handful.

Eating a handful is also cool and good once you've built your tolerance up.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't like 红油抄手

I will fight you

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've always toasted sichuan peppercorns before use, but that step is probably optional too I guess.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I will fight you

Dont worry about him, his gimmick is being wrong about everything

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't like 红油抄手

the gently caress is wrong with you

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Tried to make I think it’s called 紅油抄手?

It was actually pretty good! Did the “vinegar at the bottom, pour hot oil over chili flakes and aromatics” thing and it worked quite nicely. Not a great picture but it was tasty.

I hate folding wontons tho.

I'm very happy my city (Des Moines) has a real Sichuan restaurant now. This was my appetizer a few nights ago.

Are 红油抄手 and 酸辣抄手 different dishes as opposed to different names for the same thing? I've made https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/how-to-make-sichuan-wontons-in-chili-oil-dumpling.html several times and the sauce is browner and less bright red than the ones I had this week.

Edit: The first time I made that, I didn't know you were supposed to remove the seeds, and mortar-and-pestil ground up a bunch of peppercorns with their seeds. The result was tasty but grittier than a Flyers game.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 9, 2019

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pollyanna posted:

Chili oil and chinkiang vinegar might be my new favorite combination. :yum:

I do this, plus a little light soy and sometimes a little honey and it's delicious on basically everything

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Are 红油抄手 and 酸辣抄手 different dishes as opposed to different names for the same thing? I've made https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/how-to-make-sichuan-wontons-in-chili-oil-dumpling.html several times and the sauce is browner and less bright red than the ones I had this week.

They're both the same type of dumpling, but the first is "red oil" choushou which means chili oil, and the second is "sour hot" which could be a vinegar/chili thing or pickled peppers as the topping.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hauki posted:

the gently caress is wrong with you

It's the greasiest dumpling.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sichuan food is great but the dumpling game is pretty weak compared to most other parts of China. Dongbei kicks its rear end.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

eh, fair enough

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arglebargle III posted:

Come on mate, you gotta start remembering to turn your monitor on

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Your posting made me blind.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
What do I do with this angry lady spicy chili crisp anyways besides noodles?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Captainsalami posted:

What do I do with this angry lady spicy chili crisp anyways besides noodles?

Put it on pretty much anything you want like a condiment. Even pizza. Or maybe especially pizza.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Particularly good on eggs, or mixed into scrambled eggs.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Tacos. Baked potatoes. Fried potatoes. Fried rice. Fried mushrooms. Cream of mushroom soup. Tacos. Hotdish. Hot dogs. Chili dogs. Chili. Tacos. Spaghetti. Congee. Popcorn. Moussaka. Tamales. Tacos. BBQ. Korean BBQ.

hotpot dipping

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I'm very happy my city (Des Moines) has a real Sichuan restaurant now. This was my appetizer a few nights ago.

Edit: The first time I made that, I didn't know you were supposed to remove the seeds, and mortar-and-pestil ground up a bunch of peppercorns with their seeds. The result was tasty but grittier than a Flyers game.

Where's that at? I go through DSM a lot, and wouldn't mind a good option.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Where's that at? I go through DSM a lot, and wouldn't mind a good option.

Heavenly Restaurant in Valley Junction.

https://www.tianluiowa.com/heavenly-restaurant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ah, sweet, I've been past there a couple times. Will have to stop in.