Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

so I have a slightly weird movie recommendation request: my favorite movie ever is Repo Man. I love stuff like Assault on Precinct 13, They Live, Death Wish, The Warriors, Escape from NY, etc and to a slightly lesser extent, Soylent Green and Omega Man. basically things from the 70's/80's that have synthesizer heavy soundtracks and an aesthetic focus on urban decay in the late 20th century, particularly in big urban areas. like, I watched Death Wish II last night (objectively a horrible movie that Ebert correctly gave 0 stars for lacking both stylistic merit and being "morally repulsive") and remembered why I liked it despite that stuff - the street scenes of urban decay in LA, where Kersey wanders around hunting the inexplicably multiracial rape gang of 80s syle punks.

can anyone think of anything else in this genre? specifically stuff with lots of or at least a few compelling scenes like the one from Repo Man when Otto learns he won't be able to go to college and takes a long walk around lovely neighborhoods kicking a can, or the original Death Wish street scenes? I just have this deep affection for depictions of decay and social unease in this period and things like The Warriors or the beginning of Romero's Day of the Dead where the police are heading to the slums/the news reporters are working.

i've seen lots of stuff from this era but it also seems as though the most compelling scenes of this type are often buried in otherwise lovely films so I'm wondering if anyone else digs this particular thing

In the future, please post these types of requests in the new Recommend Me A Movie thread.

The last one was closed, so it's fine that you posted this here, but please, everyone in the future, use the Recommend Me thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Frog Act posted:

so I have a slightly weird movie recommendation request: my favorite movie ever is Repo Man. I love stuff like Assault on Precinct 13, They Live, Death Wish, The Warriors, Escape from NY, etc and to a slightly lesser extent, Soylent Green and Omega Man. basically things from the 70's/80's that have synthesizer heavy soundtracks and an aesthetic focus on urban decay in the late 20th century, particularly in big urban areas. like, I watched Death Wish II last night (objectively a horrible movie that Ebert correctly gave 0 stars for lacking both stylistic merit and being "morally repulsive") and remembered why I liked it despite that stuff - the street scenes of urban decay in LA, where Kersey wanders around hunting the inexplicably multiracial rape gang of 80s syle punks.

can anyone think of anything else in this genre? specifically stuff with lots of or at least a few compelling scenes like the one from Repo Man when Otto learns he won't be able to go to college and takes a long walk around lovely neighborhoods kicking a can, or the original Death Wish street scenes? I just have this deep affection for depictions of decay and social unease in this period and things like The Warriors or the beginning of Romero's Day of the Dead where the police are heading to the slums/the news reporters are working.

i've seen lots of stuff from this era but it also seems as though the most compelling scenes of this type are often buried in otherwise lovely films so I'm wondering if anyone else digs this particular thing

Lots of Freidkin movies have this (Cruising, To Live and Die in LA, French Connection), Black Caesar (and really most blaxploitation movies), not the US but Get Carter is an excellent urban/industrial decay film

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The last kingdom figured out sword hand in one episode, how on Earth did game of thrones never give what's his face a sword hand

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Okay, if you're into Black Mirror, I'd like to ask you a long-winded, meandering, and fairly rude question about the show.

I love classic Twilight Zone and am 100% all in on its style of moralizing. Black Mirror's first season, by contrast, felt trite and imprecise to me. I always want to love show like this but I'm also super judgmental of them. Is there a corner that gets turned at some point, or is it more like if I don't like the beginning then maybe the show isn't for me?

It’s incredibly hit or miss. When it hits it’s great but there are some stinkers. There are no diamonds in the first season so I wouldn’t hold that against it. The fourth has the strongest episodes but also probably two of the worst, so good luck!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Class of 1984 or Looking for Mr. Goodbar i think fit ur bill

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Frog Act posted:

so I have a slightly weird movie recommendation request: my favorite movie ever is Repo Man. I love stuff like Assault on Precinct 13, They Live, Death Wish, The Warriors, Escape from NY, etc and to a slightly lesser extent, Soylent Green and Omega Man. basically things from the 70's/80's that have synthesizer heavy soundtracks and an aesthetic focus on urban decay in the late 20th century,

I can't fight down the urge to recommend Punisher: Warzone. It's not a good movie, or from the 80s, but it reminds me of the aesthetic you're describing. Fight Club? Nameless dystopic city, definitely has self serious moments.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

It's a VERY good movie

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Okay, if you're into Black Mirror, I'd like to ask you a long-winded, meandering, and fairly rude question about the show.

I love classic Twilight Zone and am 100% all in on its style of moralizing. Black Mirror's first season, by contrast, felt trite and imprecise to me. I always want to love show like this but I'm also super judgmental of them. Is there a corner that gets turned at some point, or is it more like if I don't like the beginning then maybe the show isn't for me?

Imo season 1 is the best season, so probably the latter.

I dunno. I just generally enjoy it a lot. Sometimes it feels insightful, sometimes it doesn't. It's always entertaining to me and has some good twists, good performances and tends to look really nice more often than not.

Goons seem to have turned on it full stop and I really can't relate to why at all, so I don't even bother to try to understand anymore. Not that I expect everyone to enjoy it, but people's reasons for disliking it so much seem barely coherent to me. I'm not singling you out there or anything. If you don't like it you don't like it. that's fine. it's clearly not for everyone.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I Am Mother: how to write basic bitch western scifi about robots and AI. How we haven't gotten past this beep boop bad bads skynet phase yet is beyond me.
The robot mom actually looks really cool too. what a waste.

...Thinking about it, Moon did a real good job of having a cool AI character. I'll just watch that again and pretend I Am Mother was that.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 7, 2019

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, evil AIs are pretty boring now. I kinda liked that low-budget movie about a guy in prison and his AI jailor.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Imo season 1 is the best season, so probably the latter.

I dunno. I just generally enjoy it a lot. Sometimes it feels insightful, sometimes it doesn't. It's always entertaining to me and has some good twists, good performances and tends to look really nice more often than not.

Goons seem to have turned on it full stop and I really can't relate to why at all, so I don't even bother to try to understand anymore. Not that I expect everyone to enjoy it, but people's reasons for disliking it so much seem barely coherent to me. I'm not singling you out there or anything. If you don't like it you don't like it. that's fine. it's clearly not for everyone.

Yeah, I like season 1 a lot. Some of that is definitely due to David Cameron actually loving a pig though. It's always been hit or miss for me, but I've found stuff to enjoy in every season so far. The latest stuff though just does not interest me at all.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks for all the gritty 80s recommendations my dudes, now I’ve got a lot of stuff to check out! Next time I’ll use the right thread

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's not quite the same, but City of God might have what you're looking for too.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Frog Act posted:

Thanks for all the gritty 80s recommendations my dudes, now I’ve got a lot of stuff to check out! Next time I’ll use the right thread

Please tell me you have already seen Streets of Fire.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
All of you should just go and watch Chernobyl. It is probably one of the finest pieces of TV I've ever seen.

You're welcome :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

All of you should just go and watch Chernobyl. It is probably one of the finest pieces of TV I've ever seen.

You're welcome :)

Yes it is. Around episode 3 I was wondering if they would do the roof scraping sending folks to their doom. Sadly, it didn't disappoint.

edit: That was an intense scene.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 8, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TheMopeSquad posted:

Oh hell yes. This is a great rec that was missed.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

TheMopeSquad posted:

I haven’t, so that’s going on the list. I got stoned and rewatched Repo Man last night and it’s still my favorite movie of all time, so I’m definitely in the mood for anything aesthetically similar or equally well written

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TheMopeSquad posted:

Streets of Fire and Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai are my favorite '80s movies that rarely get included on lists of people's favorite '80s movies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I haven't seen Streets of Fire either.... Thanks all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow Black Mirror SSN 5 is a real piece of work. And by work I mean poo poo.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Just finished I Am Mother and though it in the end didn't offer anything truly surprising, it felt really well-made and -acted.

Whole plot spoilers below:

I think the director was banking a bit too hard on the audience not being good at math though. The passage of "13,867 days" at the beginning of the movie is immediately suspect to anyone willing to convert that to years and realize it does not match up with the age of Daughter at all.

Still, even seeing the twist coming, it didn't stop me enjoying how the full scope of the AI's scheme was revealed. The implication that Mother deliberately left APX01 in the care of human survivors as a baby, watched over her from afar and then engineered her encounter with Daughter to serve as an example of humanity at its worst. It puts a whole new angle on the plot that she was always aware of everything, and allowed everything to happen as it did to psychologically engineer Daughter to be the perfect mother for the future human race that Mother desired to create.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't watched I am mother yet so I could be totally wrong (not reading spoilers cause I'll probably watch it tonight), but the trailer makes it look like a huge ripoff of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I've watched four episodes, and it's 4 for 4 at making my jaw drop. I'll be very surprised if there's a better TV show this year.

Watch Chernobyl you guys. Currently only streaming on HBO, but I know some of you probably have a couple weeks left thanks to Game of Thrones.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Slashrat posted:

Just finished I Am Mother and though it in the end didn't offer anything truly surprising, it felt really well-made and -acted.

Whole plot spoilers below:

I think the director was banking a bit too hard on the audience not being good at math though. The passage of "13,867 days" at the beginning of the movie is immediately suspect to anyone willing to convert that to years and realize it does not match up with the age of Daughter at all.

Still, even seeing the twist coming, it didn't stop me enjoying how the full scope of the AI's scheme was revealed. The implication that Mother deliberately left APX01 in the care of human survivors as a baby, watched over her from afar and then engineered her encounter with Daughter to serve as an example of humanity at its worst. It puts a whole new angle on the plot that she was always aware of everything, and allowed everything to happen as it did to psychologically engineer Daughter to be the perfect mother for the future human race that Mother desired to create.

Yeah, I wouldn't say IAM (I kinda like the Biblical way the acronym turned out, all things considered :v: ) goes any entirely new places compared to the whole of robot fiction, but I definitely consider it well-executed, and reasonably more complex than just another "Skynet" story.

It's basically one big trolley problem type thought experiment, like the doctor question Mother presents during testing, but playing out in real time with no more opportunities to sit at a desk and take your time pondering or second-guessing your answers. The whole movie is Daughter's final exam playing out in real time. Terrifying, but I enjoyed it.

Also there was more foreshadowing than just the days not adding up, like Woman vaguely remembering watching that show, or the fact that they look weirdly similar. It's definitely meant to be extremely obvious by the second time you watch even if you miss it the first time through. Personally I didn't quite catch it, and just had some vague thought about "oh maybe that's just how long it took the system to fire up Mother" and didn't think about it again until later.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't watched I am mother yet so I could be totally wrong (not reading spoilers cause I'll probably watch it tonight), but the trailer makes it look like a huge ripoff of Horizon Zero Dawn.

The basic premise is similar, and that was my impression going into it too, but it's different enough that you forget about it entirely by the half-way point.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

TheMopeSquad posted:

oh poo poo this reminds me, while it's not american, also 1000000% School On Fire

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I just watched Always Be My Maybe, and holy poo poo Marcus is the most genuinely irritating character I've seen, especially for a lead. He's such a prick at every moment for absolutely no reason. It really doesn't help that Randall Park's voice makes everything he says sound sarcastic.

Not to mention the movie was just bad. Pretty much every moment with the assistant character was just "it will be funny if I just write my stand-up act here, or the several moments they have Ali Wong ADR stand-up style lines when the back of her head is to the camera.

EDIT: That scene near the end after the gala when Marcus, the embodiment of a failson, simultaneously man- and Asian-splains the theory of cuisine to one of the most renowned chefs in the country was enraging. Not only was he belittling the success she's had for unspecified reasons, but he also accuses her of appropriating her own culture, while racistly insisting that all Asian cuisine is the same.

Euphoriaphone fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 9, 2019

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Euphoriaphone posted:

I just watched Always Be My Maybe, and holy poo poo Marcus is the most genuinely irritating character I've seen, especially for a lead. He's such a prick at every moment for absolutely no reason. It really doesn't help that Randall Park's voice makes everything he says sound sarcastic.

Not to mention the movie was just bad. Pretty much every moment with the assistant character was just "it will be funny if I just write my stand-up act here, or the several moments they have Ali Wong ADR stand-up style lines when the back of her head is to the camera.

EDIT: That scene near the end after the gala when Marcus, the embodiment of a failson, simultaneously man- and Asian-splains the theory of cuisine to one of the most renowned chefs in the country was enraging. Not only was he belittling the success she's had for unspecified reasons, but he also accuses her of appropriating her own culture, while racistly insisting that all Asian cuisine is the same.

Randall Park and Ali Wong had zero chemistry in the movie, and even seeing their history together, I couldn't understand what they saw in each other or why they wanted to be together.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Can someone please confirm if we see the robot have intercourse and get impregnated in I Am Mother?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

veni veni veni posted:

There's literally a "what if phones, but too much" episode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I Am Mother was ok. I was left feeling kind of meh at the end because it didn't really wrap up all that well. They had enough going on with the premise that I felt like they could have done something more interesting than that. Also for some reason Hillary Swank's character annoyed the living gently caress out of me. Overall it was entertaining and decently well made though. It's the type of thing I enjoyed watching but will probably forget about entirely in a week.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

IG-88 posted:

Can someone please confirm if we see the robot have intercourse and get impregnated in I Am Mother?

Can confirm. One of the robots in the movie is literally a truck-sized dick on four legs.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
After watching Man of Tai Chi I want Keanu Reeves to direct more. That guy knows how to film action scenes.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Slashrat posted:

Can confirm. One of the robots in the movie is literally a truck-sized dick on four legs.

How on Earth am I supposed to not watch it now

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How is the French paranormal series Black Spot?

E: on Netflix

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I just finished Black Summer and my disbelief was working until the final episode where civilians are wildly firing guns at close range with pandemonium going on and only the zombies get killed

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's not just that the episodes are poor, but they are way too long. There's no way to justify the run time on these episodes.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Re: Urban Decay - The Troma movies might fit this. They have this weird aesthetic that kinda nails what you're going for. But the movies themselves you gotta be prepared for the ridiculousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

It's not just that the episodes are poor, but they are way too long. There's no way to justify the run time on these episodes.

Yeah, I was really disappointed when I got 20 minutes into one of them and saw I had 45 minutes left.

I wonder if part of the problem is that some of the most appropriate material to drop—like, say, three-quarters of our time with Topher Grace playing his cliched tech-bro billionaire—couldn't be cut because they got Topher Grace, and so on.