Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

It's not region locked, but they still might not sell things in every region. You can of course buy things from the japanese store or wherever with an according account, but you also have to get money on it.

Does Nintendo accept non-japan issued Visa on their japanese store? I've run into some issues with that with online bookstores that aren't Amazon. You can buy gift cards, but those too are restricted to their region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

a cartoon duck posted:

Oh, that's neat then. Maybe it is finally time for Antinomy of Common Flower but with actual netplay.

Being on Switch doesn't automatically mean they'll fix the netplay to work outside of Japan.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Well, picked up the final localized volume of Forbidden Scrollery today. After having gotten used to the idea of buying Touhou manga from a local bookstore it now is gonna be a little strange not doing so from now on. I do hope that FS did well enough for them to justify bringing over another though early Wild and Horned Hermit's art being as rough as it is would probably make that an unfortunately hard sell.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'd love to see the 3 Fairies manga get brought over. Maybe without Eastern and Little Nature Deity to prevent the artist switch from confusing people.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Absolutely. I would buy ten copies just to revisit the adventures of those three dorks and their mascot Piece

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Now that it's fully translated and all, I'm finally reading through the new book and it's really good. "spell cards presented as a fireworks contest" was enough to get me in, but the story that develops is cool as hell. Also it's really funny

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/sekiyuCeltic/status/1135057167969480704

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Steam pages for TD and DDC are up with a release date of July 4th.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1043240/__Double_Dealing_Character/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1043230/__Ten_Desires/

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I never played any of the touhous between SA and four seasons; which of them were the most fun?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

nrook posted:

I never played any of the touhous between SA and four seasons; which of them were the most fun?

UFO: It's cool but I hate the UFO mechanic because it gets me killed so much and failing UFOs loving blows, as well as accidentally picking up the wrong color because that essentially deletes both of your stocked UFOs. The most defining feature of UFO for me is that I think UFO stage 6 is aesthetically one of the greatest moments in video games.

TD: The game is pretty boring overall, much easier than usual but also gives you very few extra lives/bombs. Nothing about this game jumps out to me as particularly notable. In my playthroughs of the game I honestly got really annoyed that I died so much to just enemies spawning in while I was collecting items, and died relatively little to any of the actual patterns.

DDC: IMO one of the best Touhous along with SA and IN. The "gimmick" (autocollect a lot of items at once to get big bonuses) isn't too obnoxious/intrusive and the shots feel really powerful, patterns/characters stand out well. It has a lot of silly gimmicks that people don't like playing with though (one boss flips the screen various ways, final boss has a survival card where your hitbox is giant and it doesn't match the sprite very well at all).

LoLK: I think this game is fun to play through in Pointdevice but it's WAY harder than every other Touhou because it's made to be played with Pointdevice. I actually really like the characters/patterns in this game but the difficulty is rough. I haven't played legacy mode but from my understanding legacy mode gives you an absurd number of extra lives and you still end up struggling because there's just so much poo poo in the game that's stupidly hard, to the point where it doesn't really feel like you're actually learning the patterns but just resource burning through them.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Thanks, sounds like it's time to go beat up some gnomes

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
TD is the best because you can play Youmu. Also it's easy enough that a complete beginner (me) with little patience for endless dying can 1cc normal difficulty on their first or second attempt. I think it was one of the first games where you could 1cc on Easy and still get the good endings too.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I recommend 14.3, Impossible Spell Card, a lot. It's the best of the "photography" style games (although in ISC's case it's actually quite different since the camera is just one of a number of tools you have,) and super fun. It's also on steam. https://store.steampowered.com/app/937570/__Impossible_Spell_Card/

It's my favorite game in the entire series.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I should probably play that too, shoot the bullet is one of my favorite games in the series. I think it really conveys what makes Touhou’s design unique in a small, punchy package

Also I can’t play as Youmu because I never learned the safe spot on her midboss card on stage 6

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Seconding the recs for DDC and ISC, they're probably my favorite games overall too, along with Four Seasons. I've warmed up a lot to UFO over time, but I agree that TD is a little boring compared to the rest. LoLK gave us clownpiece and that's it (Hecatia's cool too)

I also love all the photography games for their bite-size nature and their mechanics, and those are the ones I use to onboard people just because it really easily gets across what's so creative about these games and how they depict bullet patterns.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I wish Ten Desires had DDC's gimmick because i was (/still am) bad at shmups even when they're for babies and I wish I had more resources and it takes one million years to get what stuff in TD

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
oh yeah also i did this

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

LOLK has amazing music, particularly beautiful spellcards, and clownpiece

if it wasn't so goddamn ed hard it might be my favorite

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

anyone know where i can get the tool used in this video to jump to spell cards in 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOC1y_j-QEw

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

lets hang out posted:

anyone know where i can get the tool used in this video to jump to spell cards in 6

or any game without spell practice, really

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

lets hang out posted:

I haven't used it but it should be this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/3ejp3h/guide_using_spoileral_for_efficient_practice/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

nah, you can use that to freeze the rank and timer and make yourself invincible but there's no jumping to parts of the stage and no in-game menu. at least not with the SSGs in that post. did find one that lets you jump straight to bosses and certain spell cards from this page. kinda works?

the one in that video looks like something this person made but i haven't had any luck finding it

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 12, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

lets hang out posted:

the one in that video looks like something this person made but i haven't had any luck finding it

well, you could ask him

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Final chapter of WaHH.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That panel of Kasen in the rain owns and it's fantastic that Reimu just spams Fantasy Seal until it works. Reimu's the best :allears:
The interview at the end is nice, too. Thank you for translating as always.

e: My favorite thing from the interview is Zun's love of knocking other characters, like Mamizou, down a peg. His comments on Reimu & Kasen's relationship in particular are interesting

rannum fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 14, 2019

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well looks like relying on Reimu's intuition can be a bit too risky.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Ending. Kasen didn’t keep the long hair.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Reading WaHH was the thing that took me from liking Touhou to really being into it, so it feels kind of a shame that it's ended, but that ending was a perfect fit for it and gave me everything I really could have wanted. Definitely a good excuse for a re-read.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bad Ending. Kasen didn’t keep the long hair.

Both styles are good

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

aww Kasen looks so content at the end

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Was hoping we wouldn't get a return to the status quo but it was also expected, so.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Best mom.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Was hoping we wouldn't get a return to the status quo but it was also expected, so.

I believe in fighting games bringing us oni kasen and true oni kasen as characters

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

A heartwarming ending. I love Kasen.

Still feels weird both Forbidden Scrollery and this are over now...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

goodnight oni prince

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

rannum posted:

I believe in fighting games bringing us oni kasen and true oni kasen as characters

Needs a power mode where she combines with her arm

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

rannum posted:

Zun, make this happen, my dude.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
The last tankobon (along with a special edition that includes Reimu & Marisa figurines) and an artbook of Azuma's Touhou illustrations is coming out on Sept. 27.

https://twitter.com/a_to_z/status/1140149462372773888

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I wonder how much that special edition is going to be because I might go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Double Dealing Character and Ten Desires are out now, about two weeks early.