Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Aw man, I wanted to see Therion's.

Also, I wasn't aware there were over 700 people reading this. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Yeah I wanted to see Therion's too, but at least he'll get to have some fun in Grandport.

Steam release of Octopath Traveler has some new official art.

Tressa's at the front, appropriately for our next chapter, and Linde is in this! CAT PHOTO requirement met.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, I wasn't aware there were over 700 people reading this. :stare:

I think the votes may have been messed with a bit, considering I've only been averaging a hundred or so (and that's with me allowing multiple choices per vote).

The last time I saw it legit though, Tressa was leading, so that's all I have to go with.

Can't get enough of that Octopath art.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Tressa's foil is sitting at $13.00, and it doesn't look like anyone's put Ophilia's or H'aanit's up yet.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

If achievements are any gauge of character popularity, PC players have some very bad taste, because Therion has had the most people clear his Chapter 1, and Alfyn and Tressa are dead last.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To be fair, that could just be people who already played on the Switch who are meta-gaming to always have Therion’s chest unlocking.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm more surprised that there's a non-zero number of people who've already unlocked the advanced jobs and mastered the basic jobs.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

I'm more surprised that there's a non-zero number of people who've already unlocked the advanced jobs and mastered the basic jobs.

Cheat Engine I'd assume, especially easy here because you can simply cheat up the JP number and then buy the abilities.

E: or a "Primrose always and only gets the 100x JP/100x XP dance" mod

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I can't not have Therion in my party after ch1 because I hate missing treasure, and I don't want to come back to the areas again, so I might as well start with him, even if Alfyn is my actual favourite.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Time to make our way to Grandport to finish Tressa's story!

Some tier-two enemies I missed before.

The Grandport area's not that much different from the Goldshore area.

Requisite foes of course.

Also a boat is here. Perhaps one day the Octopathers can go sailing. But not this game, sadly.

At any rate, let's enter Grandport, the only Chapter 4 town besides Orewell with a unique theme.

Music: Grandport, Center of Commerce

It's time to make our mark in the world of commerce!

I can't believe it. I'm finally here!

This is incredible. There are merchants and treasures from all over the world here...

Hehe, I can't wait to see what they have for sale!

One and the same, miss!
Rumor has it he's got enough money to buy himself a small country. Supposedly he invests quite a sum into the Fair, too.

Only the rarest and most beautiful treasures have been gathered here.

I expect so.

One of the highlights of the Fair is a competition. Merchants show off their finest pieces to Mr. Wyndham...
And he picks only the very best one to give to his daughter.

For the record, we have a mere million after all of our adventures. A billion is, well, a really freaking lot.

I guess all that money'll touch your noggin' eventually. I don't get it.
At least his daughter's happy.
Though it does make me wonder how he chooses a winner...

(Will the eldrite do the trick? If I prove myself here, I'll know this journey wasn't for nothing.)

Tressa's ready to prove her mettle as a merchant, and she's got the eldrite to back her up. Let's see what she can do!

...A bit later, as suddenly...

Video: Noa

SILENCE

I recommend watching at least the first part of the video cutscene, as I find the voice acting adorable for this part. And a bit awkward, but whatever.

Yes, thank you.

O-Okay, if you say so.

...She seems to be struggling a bit at this whole "walking" thing.

Music: Tranquil Days

Thank you so much for your kindness.
Hehe, you don't have to thank me.

A traveler...

You don't have to be so formal. "Tressa" works just fine!
I...I see... Tressa.
See? That's not so hard! How are you feeling, by the way?
Better, thank you. I thought I could make it just a bit further...

But I've always longed to see the world.

(...This girl reminds me of me.)

...I came here by sheer willpower alone. I hoped I'd find something to help make my dreams come true.

Noa's a sickly girl, yet one who dreams to travel the world and see its wonders, just as Tressa has been able to. Unfortunately, her fragile state hasn't granted her the same opportunities Tressa had.

Plus, there's one more twist to his whole meeting...

Lady...?
I'm sorry I worried you, Gill.
And who is this young woman?
Her name is Tressa. She lent me her aid.
My word! Miss Tressa, you have my deepest gratitude.

The Wyndham family!?
I'd love to repay you for your kind deed, but I'm afraid we must be on our way. Let us make for the auction hall, my lady.

I'm just glad you're all right. See you around, Noa!

Noa is the daughter of Mr. Wyndham...

And so Tressa has met her potential customer, so to speak.

...Though there's a mysterious figure who's going to complicate things soon enough.

But before that (and after we pick up some loose change Noa dropped), we have a lot of banters to go through!

Do you know of the Wyndhams, Professor?
Yes. But in a different way, I posit, than a merchant such as yourself. They are patrons of the arts, and generous benefactors to the world of scholarship. They can trace their family line back to the founding days of an ancient kingdom. The Wyndhams have witnessed great changes in the arts and in politics, and have recorded that history in their family chronicles. Scholars such as myself have many reasons to be grateful to them.
I had no idea! We merchants never thought of them as anything but fabulously rich.

Oho! Food for thought, would you not say? The merchants see the Wyndhams one way, the scholars another... 'Tis a fair reminder that the same object can look quite different, depending on who is doing the viewing...
Right. There's all sorts of people in the world, and that's what makes trade so fascinating!

The Wyndhams are not only rich, but are a huge contributor to maintaining the art, literature, and culture of Orsterra. And of course, it's Cyrus and Tressa appreciating one family in two completely different ways.

Ophilia, are you praying for Noa?
I am. I do not think our meeting was happenstance. Fate played its hand.

It took a lot of courage for her to come this far. It just goes to show that money can't solve everything.
Indeed. We all have our own troubles and cares.

Yes.
I can't say I know exactly what Noa is searching for... But I sure hope she finds it.

Ophilia, meanwhile, is concerned with the sickly Noa, whose dreams are hindered by her health. It seems even large amounts of money can't get her what she seeks...

Here are the Grandport Markets, with tons of people ready to do business.

This place is a blessing and a curse. A blessing, beacuse they have tons of delicious goodies I can't wait to get my hands on. A curse, because I kind of dread writing the update for this town...

A couple more banters get activated here, so let's view those as well!

I mean, have you seen this weaving? Such detail, such splendid designs!
And this vase! Simple yet elegant, with a shimmering glaze. Oh, and a price to match...
Look here! A landscape by the renowned artist Master Bonito! This can't be an original...or can it!?

Is something the matter?
Forgiven me.

It makes sense H'aanit would find Tressa's reactions more fascinating (and amusing) than the items themselves. She's a hunter, after all, all she cares about are the resources she needs to stay alive and continue her trade.

You bet I am!
It's a thief's dream. All these lavish wares, just sitting there for the taking...
I know! It's like my eyes can't stop moving from one thing to the next...

...You mean those cups and bowls? How valuable can they be?
Well, they're made of the finest white porcelain! Very rare, very costly.
...Heh. You know your stuff.
As do you! When it comes to jewelry, at least.
A thief who can't tell gold from copper won't last long in the profession.

And so Tressa and Therion finally bond over their mutual interest in various items, and the worth and obtaining of such. Of course, how they obtain said items is still a source of contention...

Ooh! That's House Sennedi tableware!

You really can find anything at the Fair!

-----

Oh, hello. Can I help you?

S-sure. By the way, I didn't get your name.

Finally... My search is over.
Your...search?

Ungh!

Music: On a Knife’s Edge

Not anymore, little girl. A word of advice before I go:

My notebook...

That weird woman stole Tressa's notebook for...reasons? Anyway, this isn't something Tressa's going to let go, especially considering how important it's been for her journey so far.

What's going on?

I know that voice!

Music: How Amusing!

It is Ali!

For those of you who don't know, let me tell you the tale of this peculiar piece. The Khafqas are famous aristocrats from the north. Several decades ago, a craftsman presented the family with a very special carpet.

Business boomed and profits soared, and eventually they were blessed with six beautiful children. It seemed as though the more memories the family made together, the more their happiness grew. Their luck both at work and at home was greater than ever before.

Who knows? With this in your own home, your luck could change for the better, just like the Khafqas.

I'll give you fifteen!
Hah! I'll pay twenty thousand!

Thank you, thank you!
That merchant sure has a way with words. He could make a handful of sand look like gold!

Ali's doing as well as ever, it seems.

Fancy meeting you here!

Music: Enveloped in Kindness

Is something the matter? You're not still mad I stole all your customers, are you?

-----

Uh-huh...

It's not funny! It was important to me! But that woman said it was in my own interest to forget about it...
Hmm... The plot thickens.

Huh?
I'm going to help you look for your notebook. I have a debt to repay, after all.
Ali...

...You call that praise? You've got a long way to go, Green Pea.

Where?

She's making her way to the auction hall up north. After a quick jaunt over...

That's definitely her. I'd recognize her anywhere!
What a strange woman. What would she want with your diary?
Quiet!

Music: Creeping Dread

I retrieved the notebook.

Excellent work. Now let us leave this town at once.

My thoughts exactly.

What're you going to do, Green Pea?

Are you coming or not!?
Hehe. Lead the way!

And so they follow the two into the building...

The showcase, sponsored by the gracious House Wyndham, will begin shortly. Only one piece is allowed per entrant.

Merchants, please prepare your entries.

Are you entering, Green Pea?
You got that right! And here's my winning entry. Ta-dah!

...Let's talk business, hey?
Keep dreaming, Ali.

But, you know, you might actually win with this. Maybe you're not such a green pea after all.

Different? How?

Anyway, first things first. We need to find that woman!
Right!

And after yet another brief walk...

All right, leave it to me.
What are you going to do?

I can't let you do that. It's too dangerous.
Hehe. Did you forget? I'm Ali, the One-man Army. I'll see that debt repaid one way or another, Tressa.

Now to get down to business.

Music: On a Knife’s Edge

What is it, kid?
I know I don't look like much, but I'm a renowned merchant in these parts. I was hoping I could have a moment of your time.

It won't take long, I promise. I'm actually quite interested in that pocket watch of yours, sir.
...Oh really?
Did you forget? We're in a hurry.

The King of the East, he was, and prized that very timepiece above all others. His famous words were, "Nothing is more precious than time--time kept and time spent."

My apologies, madam. Why don't we talk over there, sir? I have something that might be of great interest to you.
Do tell...

...Who knew watches could be so time consuming?

We've got Esmeralda by herself. Now we just need to follow her and get our notebook back! You know, after a final dungeon and boss fight, of course.

But for now, let's close things off with a banter.

What is it, Alfyn?
I was just thinking. That Ali's an awfully good fellow, don't you think? I wouldn't mind sharing a mug or two of mead with him...

Ahahaha! When you put it like that, I suppose he is.
But I have a feeling you two would get along just fine. Why don't you become partners?
...Partners?
You could make the medicine, and he could sell it for you. You'd both be rich in no time!
Ahaha! Golly, why didn't I think of that?
I bet Ali could fetch five times the coin that you manage to get.
I don't doubt that for a second.
Speaking of which, how much do you charge for your medicine?

Tressa literally cannot comprehend Alfyn's overly-generous nature.

Next time, we go sewer-diving for our notebook, then present our most precious treasure to the Wyndhams to close out Tressa's Chapter 4.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Since we did Cyrus's chapter 4 first, Olberic or Ophilia are the best ones to save for last. Of those, I'm leaning towards Olberic.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Another book theft? I thought we were done with Cyrus' story!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I love love love Grandport's theme. It's sooo good.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Since we did Cyrus's chapter 4 first, Olberic or Ophilia are the best ones to save for last. Of those, I'm leaning towards Olberic.

Nah, Ophilia.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Beating up children to steal a notebook. The most heinous of crimes.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Some Numbers posted:

I love love love Grandport's theme. It's sooo good.

Nah, Ophilia.

Ophilia’s is definitely the best to end on.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ophelia's final chapter equals/exceeds Cyrus's chapter in how how good it is.

It deserves to be the final one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pharohman777 posted:

Ophelia's final chapter equals/exceeds Cyrus's chapter in how how good it is.

It deserves to be the final one.

Agreed.

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Beating up children to steal a notebook. The most heinous of crimes.

Tressa would probably take offense to being called a child. :v:

Also, yes to both ending with Ophilia and Grandport's theme being awesome.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Before we continue, one more banter to start things off.

Music: Beneath the Surface

Are you worried for the lad?
Of course. He's putting himself into danger, all for my sake.
He swore he would pay his debt.
I know, but...

His pride wouldn't stand for owing me anything, that's for sure. I just hope he doesn't get himself hurt.
...As do I. But whether you fret or not, he will do what he has set his mind to.

Tressa is concerned Ali might get himself in danger again, but Olberic has a point that there's not much point worrying about it when there's a job at hand.

I finally unlock the last two Divine Skills I'm missing. Bifelgan's Bounty is garbage, but Draefendi's Rage is really drat good.

As usual, going low-level, which means Therion and H'aanit. Primrose still has a banter to go through, but even then she's pretty low herself at this point.

The Grandport Sewers are, well, sewers.

I luck out and get a whopping two encounters this entire dungeon.

Even better, I land a 25% chance and grab a new foe.

Unbroken, but still, not great damage. Of course, I don't really have Tressa geared for ElemAtk. Regardless, I'd rather use her runes and save her BP for stuff like Hired Help or Donate BP.

The Legion Dagger isn't as strong as the Viper Dagger we have, but it's still a solid secondary dagger, and gives a sizeable Evasion boost, so I'm definitely not complaining when dagger has been one of my weaker weapon groups as of late.

This gives slightly over 100 to both defenses, with the usual evasion hit. It's a solid all-around late-game shield, outclassed a bit by a couple others but it's still gonna get some good use from me.

And this polearm is the fifth-strongest in the game and a large upgrade from our current gear with its 262 PhysAtk and large Crit boost. Very good find, and a solid haul in general for a dungeon.

This dungeon is pretty short for a Chapter 4 one, so let's get to the action.

Ugh... What a useless book. And to think I wasted all that precious time looking for it...

Music: Pure Evil

Don't tell me. You came to get the notebook back.
That's right!
I told you to forget about it.

Important, you say?

Who wrote this book? Where did he or she come from?
I... Um...
Ignorance is bliss, little girl. Trust me.

It's been with me on my whole journey! It--
Save me the sob story, kid.

Really?
It's useless to me anyway. And because you're so attached to it...

Music: For Treasure

...!
You've been nothing but a thorn in my side, so I'm going to nip you in the bud.

You stole my notebook, and now you're going to return it and let me walk away.

Video: Boss - Esmeralda

Music: Battle at Journey’s End

I promise, not all the final chapters have out-of-nowhere bosses introduced at the last minute.

Like the other Chapter 4 bosses, Esmeralda has some unique gimmicks at her disposal.

But first, we buff. I don't know which rune I'll transfer yet, I'm gambling I'll find a relevant weakness by the time it's Tressa's turn again.

Esmeralda is a physical-oriented boss, and she hits pretty hard. The usual strats for physical bosses work here.

Her main gimmick are her colored blades. They do a large amount of damage and will seal something, based on the color. Red seals the Attack command, Blue seals physical skills, and Violet seals magic skills. These last until you break Esmeralda.

At any rate, I do find a Light weakness, so I can gear appropriately.

Also she has a polearm weakness.

Patience is so unfair.

H'aanit's Divine Skill is a powerful bow attack on all foes. She doesn't hit the damage limit like Therion does since Therion's factors in the huge speed boost from the Viper Dagger. It's still respectable damage, though.

Especially with the Light Rune proc.

Patience is so unfair.

Esmeralda can change weaknesses after break, and adds more shields. The only consistent weakness she has, appropriately enough, is Wind.

Five Strikes will do five random physical attacks, and these are just nasty.

Leghold to buy time to rebuild my team.

This time she's weak to arrows.

Her final color blade is Black Blade. Each round, the timer goes down by one. When it hits zero, that character dies.

Breaking her also fixes this.

Still lame.

Eight shields is her max.

And a pretty unlucky roll with Five Strikes. It's OK, I'll manage.

After I get paid, of course.

Her final trick occurs after half health, where Black Blade Rush will inflict a death sentence on the entire party.

Poor H'aanit draws the short straw.

And as a final jerk move, Esmeralda can debuff your party's PhysDef.

She's one of the very few foes to have actual equipment as a steal. In this case, the Rune Knife has weak PhysAtk but good ElemAtk, which is kinda rare for daggers. More flexibility is always welcome.

I break Esmeralda right before Therion's set to die. Of course, this dispels the effect.

And it allows me to deliver the killing blow.

SILENCE

Hehe. I told you not to underestimate me. I'll take this.

Why would you go through so much trouble for a stupid book? It's just an old diary.

I hoped I'd find something to help make my dreams come true.

...That's right.

It seems Tressa has found that one treasure most important to her after all.

-----

Fine, thanks. And you?
See for yourself.

I heard he was a wanted criminal, so I handed him over to the guards.
You really saved the day, Ali.
Well, that's to be seen. Did you get your book back?
Yep!

It sounds like the showcase is starting.

Kismet trees are among the rarest in the realm. They're known to bring good fortune in marriage. This doll was made from the trunk of that tree. Alongside it comes a legend:

First the snowdrop gown, then the Nis tiara, and now this? I don't know how Mr. Wyndham decides!
Hah! I wish I had his problems. Instead, some of us have to sell our souls just for a chance at that prize money.

For the case of the various customers, I'm gonna use random sprites since there's no real denoted speaker. The voice samples suggest they're all male, at least.

Hehe. Hope you're not nervous. It's almost your turn. You've only got one chance to win the judge's favor.

This is it for Tressa. It's time to show the Wyndhams a valuable treasure and win over her customer.

...which is why she's going to take a different approach.

Music: Determination

You can't be serious.
I am.
But why?
The eldrite is rare and beautiful, of course. But... I want to offer something my customer desires.

That's the kind of merchant I want to be.
There's something I want to give to Noa. Something I think she could truly treasure.

Hehe. You won't be disappointed.

After we pick up Ali's pocket change, we trigger the final banter of this chapter.

Are you nervous? Because you look it.
I've never done anything like this before. Not in front of so many people.
Then let me give you a trip, from one who's spent her fair share of time on stage...

...A fish?
Yes. You, the audience, everyone. A fish. And the hall is a vast ocean. Out in the ocean, with so many fish swimming around, no cares [sic] about any particular fish.

Wait... What do you mean, "teensy"!?
Anyway. That's what I do when I'm on stage. Imagine myself as a fish, swimming in the endless sea...
Fish, huh? Well, I'll give it a try... Thank you, Primrose.

Leave it to Primrose to find the goofiest solution to stage fright. It's also nice to see her actually help out Tressa for once.

This way, please.
Tressa.

And now we get to probably one of my favorite cutscenes in this entire game, as it's Tressa at her finest.

Video: An Anonymous Notebook

Tressa Colzione!

Here's hoping she won't disappoint.

Today, I brought something very special to me.

Music: Tressa, the Merchant

Sometimes I'd gaze out at the ocean and think to myself...

And then I came across this notebook. It was written by someone whose name I don't know... Someone who traveled across the world and wrote down everything about their journey.

I wanted to explore the world as a merchant and learn the trade as I went. And along the way, I met some unforgettable people.

After I moved onto the next town, I ran into an old acquaintance.

There, he taught me something very important.

Until I finally found it. What's truly precious to me...

I've written all about it here, in these pages.

And just like this nameless traveler allowed me to realize my dreams... I hope that my travels can help someone realize their own.

Tressa had the chance to get to know Noa, and thus knows what she truly desires. All the priceless trinkets and wonders of the world may have value to others, but Tressa believes she has the one item that her customer will truly treasure.

SILENCE

Does she have any idea where she is?
In all my years, I've never seen something so embarrassing...
Someone, get her off the stage.

...This didn't seem to work out as well as Tressa hoped, if the audience's reaction is anything to consider.

...But then, what they think doesn't matter. All that matters is her customer.

Did he just...?
Is he serious?

Pardon me, but... Are you absolutely certain?

I don't go back on my word. Now please, bring me that diary.

It turns out, Tressa nailed what her customer wanted, and has truly proven herself to be a true merchant.

Why did you choose this diary?
You see, my daughter...

Noa!

Music: Enveloped in Kindness

But I could tell it was never enough. However, when this young merchant stepped onto the stage and spoke of her travels...

...!
When I heard about your journey, Tressa...

My heart never wanted the story to end.

I hope this will suffice for your diary.

My customer has something she can treasure forever. That's more than enough reward for me.
I understand your sentiment, but I can't let you go without recompense.

I'd like to save it for then.
Understood. I'll prepare a memorandum. If you're ever in need of it, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Thank you, sir.

So Tressa is now a billionaire, except she doesn't actually have the money right now. A shame, all the things I could buy...

It feels kind of like a potential sequel hook, but who knows what they're going to do with the next game.

If you don't mind, I...

And I'd love to tell you all about it!

...?
I've made up my mind, Tressa.

Just like you did.
Noa...

And someday, I'll write my own stories in here. About my own journey.

And much as that nameless author inspired Tressa to start her own journey, Tressa has inspired Noa to do the same.

But what about that nameless author?

SILENCE

I must say, you put on quite the show there.
Thank you, sir.
Hoho, I suppose I should introduce myself. I dedicated many years of my life to creating something...

Mm-hmm. The writer was someone else, though.

Music: Reminiscence

Graham Crossford... So he's the one whose travels I've been reading about.

That name should sound familiar, as that's the very same man who saved Alfyn's life as a child. Small world, huh?

He was just about to head off on a journey. He didn't know where his travels would take him. So I told him he ought to keep a record of where he'd been.

But there wasn't anyone else's journey I wanted to hear about as much as his. Writing in a diary comes from the heart... And there was no one with a heart as great as his.

It was like you were in love with that notebook.
If you ever meet Graham, could you tell him something for me?

I don't have the heart to tell him about Graham.

-----

Video: Going Home

Hmm...

Music: Bonds of Friendship

I've experienced so many things on this journey. It was filled with so many moments that can't be contained in a diary. I traveled and traded across the land and met amazing people along the way. And when I stood on that stage, I realized...

I can't wait to see the look on their faces.
Home, huh...
How about you, Ali?

My father is waiting for me.

So, who's the better merchant between you two?
I'd like to think I am.

Yeah?
Next time we meet...

Music: Tressa, the Merchant

What!?
See, you're like a skystone...

Hey!

And there goes Ali.

And with that, Tressa heads home.

Video: The Next Chapter

My journey isn't over yet.

She gave me this diary to fill with my own memories.

And someday, I hope to follow in her footsteps.

And that's it for Tressa's story!

Music: Tressa Motif

(Click here for larger version.)

It's time to move on to the next character, so go vote for them!

Next time, we explore the massive (and lucrative) city of Grandport, do a side story or two, and maybe even go back to some side dungeons I've skipped earlier. Depends really how I want to structure the next set of updates. Until then!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Maybe it's because I did Tressa's later (and got JP x100 twice in my playthrough so everyone had tons of abilities) but I found Esmerelda to be by far the easiest final boss.

Also, here's hoping Tressa didn't write down everything they learned in the ruins!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

This Graham Crossford name has cropped up in two different characters' Chapter 4s. Since this is JRPG, there's no way that's a coincidence.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Ha, ending on Noa's new entries instead of the narrator or Tressa herself summing up is such a perfect little flourish.

I'm repeatedly impressed by how well they get nuance and detail right in the game to really flesh out how short the story segments are on paper.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"You can have this book back. I don't need it. But also, I'm going to kill you for no reason."

Well okay then. :psyduck:

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Tressa's story is 'the real treasure is the friends you made on your journey' but unironically. I love it.

Her approach as a merchant is to give people what they want, instead of trying to talk up her wares like Ali does. Not that his approach is necessarily bad, but Tressa wants a more personal connection to her customer. Noa wants to travel the world, and she's probably also pretty lonely, so a book about someone's travels around the world, written in first by Graham and later by her new friend Tressa, is what she really wants to have. It means far more to her than all the fancy treasures she could buy. The ending is a little cheesy, but I still like it. It's a nice, cheerful, happy story with no betrayals or angst, so I usually save it for after the heavier chapters.

Esmeralda feels like there really should have been more to her. The whole 'you're a thorn in my side' would make more sense if we'd ever seen her before. Like if she'd tried to buy the book in one of the other chapters. She could have been a fun reoccurring comic relief villain. She's actually got some interesting moves with her coloured daggers so if you're not steamrolling the fights with the op classes the fight is actually... well, not tough, but it's fun.

Interestingly in her concept art she had crow tattoos on her legs but that didn't make it into the final game. I guess that provides one more connection between the stories, if she's part of the same organisation as the Three Crows Primrose is hunting.

Chocolate Bunny fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 9, 2019

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Esmeralda does have a crow tattoo on her leg, you can see it in the boss fight. That's likely why people wanted this chapter done fight, she's a member of the Obsidians.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019

Tell me where on her leg the crow is. If you think it's at the very top of her thigh, I'm sorry to tell you that's the laces of her dress.

Chocolate Bunny fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 9, 2019

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"You can have this book back. I don't need it. But also, I'm going to kill you for no reason."

Well okay then. :psyduck:

Yes, Esmeralda is ridiculously petty.

And then she gets beaten by a little girl. Toldja Tressa would take offense. :cheeky:

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Esmeralda feels like there really should have been more to her. The whole 'you're a thorn in my side' would make more sense if we'd ever seen her before. Like if she'd tried to buy the book in one of the other chapters. She could have been a fun reoccurring comic relief villain. She's actually got some interesting moves with her coloured daggers so if you're not steamrolling the fights with the op classes the fight is actually... well, not tough, but it's fun.

Esmeralda in this chapter has the same problem Simeon did in Primrose's Chapter 3, in that they kinda just spring to prominence in the chapter they appear in.

Perhaps there would've been more impact if she'd shown up posing as a merchant in Victor's Hollow, instead of the Generic Hooded Evil Cultist/Obsidian/Scholar Man-In-Black we saw at the tail end of Tressa's Chapter 3. Hmm, MIB G(H)ECOS has a nice ring to it...

At least we'll actually see Simeon again. Primrose's Chapter 4 is next up on the CAT PHOTO.

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Interestingly in her concept art she had crow tattoos on her legs but that didn't make it into the final game. I guess that provides one more connection between the stories, if she's part of the same organisation as the Three Crows Primrose is hunting.

Not sure why they omitted the tattoo in the final game. Maybe with the Left and Right Wings of the crow flitting around, they didn't want to confuse players by adding a Right Talon to another Traveler's story.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

calling it now, super boss fight is Crow Voltron.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That was touching. Still, would've been nice for the game to give some indication why Esmeralda thought the notebook would be valuable, but wasn't. "He didn't record the formula in here..." would've been enough, because then you find out it was a traveling apothecary, and she thought the notebook would have some valuable/needed medical formula. I dunno, something.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Also why she said it was better off if Tressa knew nothing about it, which made it seem kinda sinister (maybe she was just bullshitting).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's beautiful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This took me a while to figure out. It would work better with spaces between words.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I don't get it.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There were enemies in the final dungeon explicitly called 'obsidian enforcers' or something like that. Since Mega64 had the low encounter-rate skill on, he never saw them.

The obsidians have a keen interest in grahm crossford for some reason.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Given that you fight Obsidian mooks in that dungeon as well (Mega64 just never encountered any of them), she and her partner are definitely members of the Obsidians.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Given that you fight Obsidian mooks in that dungeon as well (Mega64 just never encountered any of them), she and her partner are definitely members of the Obsidians.

They really should have kept the tattoo on her sprite. Get a comment from Primrose in an interlude (on the line of "My father's killers were men, but I'm more than happy about taking care of an accomplice") and we're good to go.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Honestly I think they just didn't want to muck up their motifs.

There's three crow men because Yatagarasu, so if you introduce a right leg you not only make 4/3 but suddenly "okay but where's the other two legs" becomes a thing on the creative end.

I guess it's also possible that tying her more explicitly to the Obsidian would make her presence in the comical Tressa chapters a bit more incongruous? but it's pretty clear she's with them regardless if you take the time to notice so that seems a bit weak to me as the reasoning.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Also, everyone knows crows are boys and ravens are girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So we now know that Crossford gave up his diary to the pirate for passage, which means his journey happened before he found the cure to his wife's disease. After he returned with the cure, he found his wife had died, used that cure on Alfyn, then went somewhere.

I think the Obsidians are interested in what happened to him after he gave up the diary, which is why that agent says its worthless after reading it.