Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you don't mind waiting, I'm hoping that Ryzen 3000 finally pushes the price of an R3 1200 down below $50, so I can snag one as an insurance policy. I'd be willing to ship it around for people who need to update BIOSes and poo poo but don't have flashback-enabled motherboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3peat
May 6, 2010

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Where's that from? E3?

What's the Threadrippers going to be called then, since the AM4 CPUs are treading onto their naming scheme.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Presumably E3 yeah, and VCZ also got a Navi slide from the same source: https://videocardz.com/80966/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-picture-and-specs-leaked

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose these shots were snuck out of a rehearsal then, because the actual AMD conference is tomorrow at 3PM PT.

eames
May 9, 2009

really impressive, though the fact that 8C and 16C both are advertised with 105W TDP (lower baseclock) makes me wonder what they'll really pull under load.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
gently caress, well, um, I guess I'm replacing my dual-socket E5-2603v4 server with this...

I can't I need the PCIe lanes, but, if there are IPC improvements over Broadwell (there will be), wow. I might build a superfluous new desktop.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

eames posted:

really impressive, though the fact that 8C and 16C both are advertised with 105W TDP (lower baseclock) makes me wonder what they'll really pull under load.

That depends entirely on the Bios implementation.
Sometimes the manufacturer takes the number and turns it into a hard stop, sometimes it's a soft wall that can be temporarily breached (but how far/long varies a lot), sometimes all bets are off and the only limit is the thermal sensors on the CPU.

Of course there are no reviews or lists that I know of that say which board and Bios version do what. It's a surprise :)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Okay, so they bumped the turbo boost by another 100MHz, added 4 cores, and kept the TDP the same.
This. This is the CPU I want. 4.7GHz over 16 cores with better than (Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake) IPC? Reviews can't get here quickly enough.
I can see the base clock is a touch lower than the 3900X, but who really cares about that? If it can be "overclocked" by "just" holding an all-core 4.7 turbo, it will be incredible; TDP be damned.

Edit: I also really think more needs to be said about the batshit amount of cache these new CPUs have

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 9, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
VideoCardz just doubled down and said the 3950X leak is confirmed: to be revealed at E3.

eames
May 9, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

That depends entirely on the Bios implementation.
Sometimes the manufacturer takes the number and turns it into a hard stop, sometimes it's a soft wall that can be temporarily breached (but how far/long varies a lot), sometimes all bets are off and the only limit is the thermal sensors on the CPU.

Of course there are no reviews or lists that I know of that say which board and Bios version do what. It's a surprise :)

True but realistically most enthusiasts will pull all stops and try to overclock to all-core (or in this case 8 core should be enough) turbo. I could easily see the 16C pull 450W or more in that situation. There's nothing wrong with that but it's going to be a long, long way off the advertised TDP.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
How many videogamers are paying $500+ for a CPU? I appreciate that this exists, I just think they mis-marketed as a side effect of the "anything over budget tier = gaming" marketing we've seen the past six years.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Craptacular! posted:

How many videogamers are paying $500+ for a CPU? I appreciate that this exists, I just think they mis-marketed as a side effect of the "anything over budget tier = gaming" marketing we've seen the past six years.

The answer is 'some', and it's all profit. People who need the power will find it / but it anyways, or step up to a marketed as workstation CPU. By branding this as a gaming processor it'll get reviews as such and the numbers junkies will at least be considering it.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I'm going to wait and see what the price is. I'm already probably locked in on a 3900x, but that's really reaching the limit of my budget. If it's only a couple hundred bucks more (which I don't expect at all), then it might be a winner. If not, hello 12 cores in July. My PC is mainly a workstation with some gaming here and there, so I feel like 12 cores will be plenty, but if the price isn't too bad then maybe I can justify it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Where's that from? E3?

What's the Threadrippers going to be called then, since the AM4 CPUs are treading onto their naming scheme.

WX ?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The neat thing about this is even if inter-die latency is an issue for games you can just just disable half of the chip like you do with Threadripper :lol:.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Threadrippers can easily be 3975, 3990, 3995 and 3999 with all sorts of Xs and tildes afterwards.

I'm confused at revealing the 16 core at e3 but maybe they wanted a bit more yield information.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How long am I going to have to wait to for an eight core CPU with integrated graphics so I can finally upgrade my linux desktop (where I don't need or want the a graphics card)? I assume the next round of APUs will be a no-go as it's still based on Zen+ and won't have the die space?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

The neat thing about this is even if inter-die latency is an issue for games you can just just disable half of the chip like you do with Threadripper :lol:.
Why would inter-die latency be a problem? The distance to the memory controller is the same for either compute die.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jesus christ I know I cant justify like $500 on a processor but if I did I'd buy this

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Welp, this is it. This is what I'm gonna buy. Can't argue with doubling the cores and almost 5ghz.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
The 3900X is already $500, and they're adding a third more cores for the 3950X. I'd be surprised if it comes in under $700.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm really curious to see how the 3950X scales with memory frequency, it's really pushing the limits of dual channel.

Where's the point of diminishing returns on frequency when you've got 16 cores to feed?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why would inter-die latency be a problem? The distance to the memory controller is the same for either compute die.

Maybe MaxxBot is talking about possible latency issues between the chiplets themselves? I'm going to wait for the benchmarks and see how it all shakes out before buying anything. I'll probably have my heart set on a 3700X for gaming though since it's a single chiplet and hopefully latency won't be an issue with a single chiplet.

And my price prediction for the 3950X is ~$1000. It's a premium part and AMD will charge a premium for it.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 9, 2019

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

spasticColon posted:

Maybe MaxxBot is talking about possible latency issues between the chiplets themselves? I'm going to wait for the benchmarks and see how it all shakes out before buying anything. I'll probably have my heart set on a 3700X for gaming though since it's a single chiplet and hopefully latency won't be an issue with a single chiplet.

And my price prediction for the 3950X is ~$1000. It's a premium part and and AMD will charge a premium for it.

Yeah I meant between different chiplets as opposed to main memory access, I don't know if that's actually gonna be an issue though.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 9, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Maybe MaxxBot is talking about possible latency issues between the chiplets themselves? I'm going to wait for the benchmarks and see how it all shakes out before buying anything.
The main issue will be threads core hopping and finding a cold cache. The secondary problem will be two threads communicating, if they're each on a different die, where everything goes through the memory die instead of local caches. But if the data sets are large enough to make a difference, they'll probably getting flushed out of the caches anyway, when other unrelated threads run and want their data.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 9, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

And my price prediction for the 3950X is ~$1000. It's a premium part and and AMD will charge a premium for it.

If AMD wanted to absolutely murder Intel, they could release it at ~750 to continue the whole "Less than half the price" motif. The 7960X would look real bad in comparison. Of course at $1000 the 3950X would still be $500 less. So it could go either way I guess.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I might splurge and get a 3950x and not have to worry about updating my CPU again until the PS6 and Xbox 3 generation rolls around.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Kinda surprised the "50" in 3950x isn't in gold for that anniversary flavor.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm confused at revealing the 16 core at e3 but maybe they wanted a bit more yield information.

Perhaps the longest delay in a "One more thing" reveal I'm aware of.

I think the marketing department probably just recognized they had the chance to own the headlines for a solid quarter.

May - Ryzen 2 lead up, post Comdex coverage.
June - Oh and one more thing, preorders, benchmark speculation.
July - Release and benchmark articles all month long.

I'm really curious to see how many chips they can actually ship. Are the same fabs producing 3000 chips that produce Epyc 2? I'd have to assume AMD really wants to ship as many Epyc 2 chips as possible since there's more profit and I can only imagine demand is high given customers who bought Intel chips have seen their performance degrade significantly over the last 18 months.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Well Intel already blew their load with the 9900ks. This reveal will go completely unopposed and will dominate the tech news cycle until release in July.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Almost Smart posted:

I might splurge and get a 3950x and not have to worry about updating my CPU again until the PS6 and Xbox 3 generation rolls around.

We don't even know the exact specs for the PS5 and Xbox 2 yet. All we know so far is eight Zen 2 cores and a Navi-based GPU. And I'm sure Microsoft and Sony will do a mid-generation refresh of the next-gen consoles too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

Presumably E3 yeah, and VCZ also got a Navi slide from the same source: https://videocardz.com/80966/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-picture-and-specs-leaked

Hrm, based on FP32 perf, just *slightly* in under a Vega 56, but actual performance remains to be seen with the new CU arrangement.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

spasticColon posted:

And my price prediction for the 3950X is ~$1000. It's a premium part and AMD will charge a premium for it.
$659-$799 is the range I'd consider realistic. Probably toward the high end of it.

Latency will be better than 16c TRs have now. And you don't need to disable anything to game on those outside of a few old titles that freak out over the core counts. The 32c TRs have some trouble on windows, but the zen2 variation shouldn't have any trouble anywhere.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Klyith posted:

The thing is, when I look at the prices of the 3800X and 3900X I feel like the 3900X is actually a decent deal. It's a *lot* of CPU for $400. If anything the 3800X is the member of the lineup that feels overpriced.

The only reason the 3800X exists is that AMD figured it could milk gamers for the 3700X chips that just so happened to clock really, really well.

Also, Z390 is a dead end and I didn't want to get stuck with a mobo that had no upgrade path available. And no, the 9900KS isn't an upgrade.

Welp, that just knocked the 3900X right out of contention, didn't it? Still waiting on the MSRP. I wouldn't be surprised if it was north of $700

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If Threadripper gets an announcement at E3, I would probably take a sick day to recover.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Looks like I'm finally going to put my 2500k out to pasture

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sub Rosa posted:

Looks like I'm finally going to put my 2500k out to pasture

You mean you haven't already?! Like, I know the meme is to ride the 2500K because there's nothing meaningfully better, but there has been product that's meaningfully better for a year now.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 10, 2019

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there a current "best" itx am4 motherboard? It seems to be a trade off between better VRMs (MSI) Vs better audio and USB (asrock). In day to day use I'd guess the latter would be more noticeable, but will the worse vrm setup become an issue in a small case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Basically. The Asus Strix X470-I or the weirdly identical B450-i are the only ITX boards that gets you decent VRM + 2 PCIe M.2 slots + better quality onboard sound + 4xUSB 3.0 & 2x3.1 Gen 2 on the back. The MSi B450i Gaming Plus has better VRM, but you lose the second M.2 slot, some onboard sound quality, and some have fewer USB 3.0 ports. The ASRock boards lose VRM quality, the second M.2 slot, and fewer 3.0 ports (though one of the Gen 2 ports is type C).

Honestly, though, they all have fine VRM for a decent overclock on a 2600X. You'd want one of the higher-end VRMs for overclocking a 2700X (or probably a 3700X+), but you may not be likely to do that in a small case! As long as you have decent airflow, the VRM itself shouldn't be an issue.