Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

doomrider7 posted:

I forgot SAO.

there's a reason this is an isekai and vrmmo thread, and not just called an isekai thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

A lot of things can be considered isekai-esque if you massage language hard enough and squint at text a lot.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Space Flower posted:

there's a reason this is an isekai and vrmmo thread, and not just called an isekai thread

True, but SAO isn't actually good so it never comes up on here hence the mental slip. In either case, the possibility of it beating SAO wouldn't necessarily be out of the realm of possibility though it WOULD surprise the hell out of me given how massive that franchise is. Granted it doesn't have a huge Manga presence going for it hence the possibility.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Argas posted:

A lot of things can be considered isekai-esque if you massage language hard enough and squint at text a lot.

Luckily Space Jam is just an isekai for all intents and purposes and my favorite example to use as well.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is there a good isekai that involves someone from a fantasy world dying and reincarnating in another, entirely different fantasy world?

in my head this would be a cool vehicle to explore culture clash without having to accurately represent real life cultures

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's this: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/okami-wa-nemuranai/

the guy doesn't die, but he does move from one fantasy world to a different fantasy world with divergent culture, technology, and magic. the translations are slow and steady, and it's a pretty chill story.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

is there a good isekai that involves someone from a fantasy world dying and reincarnating in another, entirely different fantasy world?

in my head this would be a cool vehicle to explore culture clash without having to accurately represent real life cultures

I don't think I've ever seen this exact premise before. There are tons of series where someone from a fantasy world dies and reincarnates thousands of years later, there's a few that feature earthling MCs hopping from one fantasy world to another (Arifureta and Death Mage both being prominent examples), and I've seen a few about someone from a sci-fi world finding their way to a fantasy world, but never anything just like this.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

What is the most profitable isekai and why is it Superman?

Jesus is the most profitable isekai, actually. :v:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
He's reverse Isekai, actually.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is there an Isekai about someone reincarnating into an Isekai story yet, or has the genre not reached that level of meta-commentary?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Is there an Isekai about someone reincarnating into an Isekai story yet, or has the genre not reached that level of meta-commentary?

like you even had to ask

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't know about "good" because I didn't read past the first chapter, but Ex-Hero Candidate's, Who Turned Out To Be A Cheat From Lv2, Laid-back Life In Another World does the fantasy to fantasy isekai.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Quantum Leap is an isekai.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is an isekai

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I don't know about "good" because I didn't read past the first chapter, but Ex-Hero Candidate's, Who Turned Out To Be A Cheat From Lv2, Laid-back Life In Another World does the fantasy to fantasy isekai.

poo poo ahhhhh bccdefhcddcgvbefhb

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...strieri/.146974

Real short interview with the author of Tanya and the English translator of the novels, but I thought it was a fun read.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
“On a gut level, I hate Nazis. It wouldn't do to write a story that shows Nazis doing cool things.”

Good author.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The author really wanted to write a story about WW1 and what was so interesting about it, and added the more familiar WW2 elements as a comprise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that makes me feel a lot more positively about tanya, actually. there are so many devoted fans of nazi germany that someone merely being a fanboy of imperial germany seems downright quaint.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That makes me want to try the novels more. He sounds like he knows his stuff, which I hadn’t really gotten from the anime, which seemed like a bit too much WWI window dressing to me and not a very good reading of the military and social issues moving in the background of it.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The books repeatedly address social issues and the will of the public driving incredibly stupid decision making and dragging ever more people and resources into an ever more foolish conflict.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That, as well as neatly showcasing how awful purely amoral pragmatic decision making can be. Tanya’s a good series.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
...gently caress now I'm getting compelled to want to read Tanya. On that note, someone mentioned that lovely person though he was, that he WAS justified in firing the guy that killed him since said guy was apparently a junkie who was making the work environment really toxic for everyone else along with him apparently having even tried to help him get cleaned up. Can anyone corroborate this info?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
As I understand it, he was dale from stik tek.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

doomrider7 posted:

...gently caress now I'm getting compelled to want to read Tanya. On that note, someone mentioned that lovely person though he was, that he WAS justified in firing the guy that killed him since said guy was apparently a junkie who was making the work environment really toxic for everyone else along with him apparently having even tried to help him get cleaned up. Can anyone corroborate this info?

it depends on which version you're talking about. In the LN, yeah, guy was a junkie who salaryman/tanya tries to help. Manga/anime version is less sympathetic

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TheFlyingLlama posted:

it depends on which version you're talking about. In the LN, yeah, guy was a junkie who salaryman/tanya tries to help. Manga/anime version is less sympathetic

Ah ok. That makes sense.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hey Sekai Game got a new translator https://clownworldtranslations.home.blog/2019/05/22/sekai-game-vol-3-prologue-part-1/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new slime isekai

https://mangadex.org/chapter/635579/1

it's taking its sweet drat time, though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

new slime isekai

https://mangadex.org/chapter/635579/1

it's taking its sweet drat time, though.

It's actually right on time since the raws dropped only a few days ago. Not sure why, but there'll be video of the raws, but no actual available raws for scanlation until much later. I think it might be Kodansha getting much more possessive with the series ince it's one of their biggest sellers and they seem to be grooming it to be their successor shonen flagship series. That's all just a hypothesis though. What's more shocking is that all of the groups that have picked it up have been one man teams and poo poo. For a series this popular you'd think it'd attract bigger teams like Jamini's Box or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh I meant the series is going at a seemingly glacial pace for a monthly series, not that the scanlation was slow.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

oh I meant the series is going at a seemingly glacial pace for a monthly series, not that the scanlation was slow.

Ah ok. I'm not sure how things work for monthly's so I dunno. But yeah it really does lag a bit. I've heard stuff from people wanting it to be a bi-weekly series. The issue I think is that you'd need a pretty drat big team since some of these chapters DO need those 30+ pages and doing that biweekly would be a big strain on a small team. In any case, thanks for the update. Off to read and share in the other thread. Also though I had seen it before, I love Myulan's Majin form. It actually reminds me a bit of Drakeengard 3.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I'm not saying the mangaka needs to pump out twice as much, just that the pacing of the last few chapters is not great.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying the mangaka needs to pump out twice as much, just that the pacing of the last few chapters is not great.

No I get that. The issue is that I legit can't think of an easy fix for this issue. Making it weekly would feel off since some of the chapters really do need those extra pages to work properly and one week isn't enough time to churn out thirty something pages, biweekly would work if they give Kawakami a bigger team or with said bigger team he can churn out longer chapters. I've heard some musings here and there that the latter might happen/is happening, but I'm not 100% sure.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
It's not marked as such, but it technically IS iseaki since they aren't in their world anymore.

Maou Sounanchu!!!

Basically...What if Konosuba, but from the POV of the Demon Lord and his minions and stuck on a deserted island. Right now I'm just laughing my rear end off.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

doomrider7 posted:

It's not marked as such, but it technically IS iseaki since they aren't in their world anymore.

Maou Sounanchu!!!

Basically...What if Konosuba, but from the POV of the Demon Lord and his minions and stuck on a deserted island. Right now I'm just laughing my rear end off.

lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was updated a week ago, but a handful of new combatants will be dispatched! chapters dropped.

Stay strong, Zipper Man.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

poo poo ahhhhh bccdefhcddcgvbefhb

The B rank absolutely says "Butt".

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Where else would a tree nut keep it's milk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

linall posted:

Where else would a tree nut keep it's milk?

The fridge, probably