Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How the gently caress is he supposed to get out, unless this is another Nutty-Putty write-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How the gently caress is he supposed to get out, unless this is another Nutty-Putty write-off?

Geez. You keep going through until you come out the other end, dummy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ulex minor posted:

where is this from? why is he doing that?? isn't he going to be showered in woodlice and spiders???

LOL it's obviously reversed. This is how Ents are born.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ulex minor posted:

where is this from? why is he doing that?? isn't he going to be showered in woodlice and spiders???

:iiam:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL it's obviously reversed. This is how Ents are born.

No, this is how Ents get a colonoscopy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Deepfake

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
HAPPY MAYFLY SEASON Y’ALL

This was a gas station in Slidell, Louisiana this time last year:

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
That's Hell. You're in Hell and they forgot to tell you

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A mayflys life is very short and brutal hell.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I thought I was in the Warhammer: Vermintide II thread for a second

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sloth Life posted:

I’ve seen the president, we were all told.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
There’s nothing like sweeping a writhing, buzzing pile away from the front doormat because people keep tracking half-mayflies onto the carpet. They also got into the air ducts and kept dropping from the ceiling at random intervals.

They don’t bite or sting but they do block windows.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It’s a shame that sign in the background doesn’t cut off higher up because NO is exactly the response I had to that picture.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Some years back I was at a gas station in the middle of the night going back home and it was COVERED in what I now suspect were mayflies. The sounds of them crunching under my car was audible as I pulled in and you couldn't step anywhere without destroying them. It smelled like a rotting swamp.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A mayfly lives for two or three years in perfect comfort but then it gets bored and grows wings in an concerned effort to make the world miserable.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Busket Posket posted:

Every year everyone there buys futures in windshield washing fluid just before they come out. Everyone is a little richer, every year.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I know of a bridge in Minnesota that gets shut down every once in a while because of mayflies. They're attracted to the lights and will cover the entire structure, and after enough traffic the driving surface will become dangerously slick with mayfly corpses.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Busket Posket posted:

In a sagging economy thems is free protein

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sloth Life posted:

It's very ephemeral

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

scumby posted:

go for it!

wikipedia posted:

Mayflies are consumed in several cultures and are estimated to contain the most raw protein content of any edible insect by dry weight. In Malawi, kungu, a paste of mayflies (Caenis kungu) and mosquitoes is made into a cake for eating. Adult mayflies are collected and eaten in many parts of China and Japan. Near Lake Victoria, Povilla mayflies are collected, dried and preserved for use in food preparations.[81]

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The only reason you’d make something to eat out of mosquitos is pure spite, and satisfaction. I want to try it :swoon:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

scumby posted:

Make a vacuum that sucks them right into a food dehydrator....mmm crunchy goodness

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Icon Of Sin posted:

The only reason you’d make something to eat out of mosquitos is pure spite, and satisfaction. I want to try it :swoon:

Is there a mosquito snuff channel where I can see millions of them in a food processor? Somehow the impossibly horrifying seems a-okay when it comes to mosquitos.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Icon Of Sin posted:

The risk of bloodborne disease is too high.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

The risk of bloodborne disease is too high.

So you want me to pick mosquitoes out of my mayfly cake paste? That would involve touching gross bugs!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

cordyceps

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Its like my nightmare had a nightmare

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My sister made this for me for my birthday, it reminds me of this.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
There are two ways to die (as a tiny tiny creature) that horrifies me the most. That is the second worst, the worse being the "parazlyed and alive with a wasp egg on my back so I provide warm food for their brood"

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
RE: Mayflys

When i first moved to PA after many short visits back and forth from the UK, Mayfly Day was something I was not prepared for in any way that Flying Ant day could provide.

It was nowhere near as bad as that gas station, but when crossing at bridge at dusk while going 50-60mph, something I had done many, MANY times before, I was not expecting the sound nor instant darkness that occurs upon hitting a swarm of them fuckers.

It was like a thick, wet, bag of cottage cheese was thrown at my windscreen, slimy and chunky at the same time. I first was worried it would actually crack the glass, and then realised visibility had dropped to maybe 5%. Slowed down, used maybe my entire washer fluid contents to no avail. Pulled into the nearest gas station and was met with a dozen other drivers that had just done the same thing all in a queue to use the courtesy squeegee and soapy water. Only, the containers of soapy water were 3/5ths dead mayflys and associated goop, so that resulted in just smearing the mess even more.

The next day was the first time I took my car through an automatic car wash as i refused to do that poo poo by hand, even using a pressure washer i was fearful of bug splash-back.

The UK's flying ant day is nothing compared to that winged hell. The main difference being flying ants aren't restricted to mostly rural areas and will happily infest cities too, and ant bites kinda suck.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Ick at flying bitey ants. We also get “love bugs”, so named because they mate and stay stuck together until they die, 2-3 days later. They don’t bite, but they do swarm over buildings, cars, and people, and their guts eat away at paint. Local car washes will offer special heated bug gut cleaner when it’s love bug season.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I never get invited to wild orgies like that

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I never get invited to wild orgies like that

You would if you'd quit bugging people.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Busket Posket posted:

Ick at flying bitey ants. We also get “love bugs”, so named because they mate and stay stuck together until they die, 2-3 days later. They don’t bite, but they do swarm over buildings, cars, and people, and their guts eat away at paint. Local car washes will offer special heated bug gut cleaner when it’s love bug season.

triggered

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

dpack_1 posted:

Flying Ant Day

When I was a kid around the Maryland area, we'd get seasonal swarms of flying ants. The interesting part was that they were citronella ants, so when crushed they'd release a very strong odor just like that from citronella mosquito repellant. No clue whether the stuff actually repelled mosquitos, but it made accidentally stepping on one smell kind of nice.

We'd also get massive swarms of gypsy moth caterpillars. They spin big communal web sacks in the crotches of trees and venture out to eat all the drat leaves they can find. My neighborhood had a lot of trees around and if the city wasn't on top of spraying there'd be hundreds of them wobbling around in the street or grass, getting run over by cars or eaten by birds and dogs. The nests would look like thick sheets of cobweb with a mass of dark, squirming worms inside. If you were in the woods, every now and then one would fall onto your head.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Wild T posted:

We'd also get massive swarms of gypsy moth caterpillars. They spin big communal web sacks in the crotches of trees and venture out to eat all the drat leaves they can find. My neighborhood had a lot of trees around and if the city wasn't on top of spraying there'd be hundreds of them wobbling around in the street or grass, getting run over by cars or eaten by birds and dogs. The nests would look like thick sheets of cobweb with a mass of dark, squirming worms inside. If you were in the woods, every now and then one would fall onto your head.

No no no no no

I went to get pictures of the giant spider webs from Australia or Greece and found there was a similar phenomenon in Dallas, TX, which is only 4 hours from me. Probably less if you’re traveling via windborne web and there’s no traffic. No no no no no.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Please tell me where all these places that resemble the ninth circle of hell are so I can never EVER go there

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Walking under these is really creepy/cool as its like walking into some weird nightmare dream tunnel. About halfway through you feel the gentle patter of light rain tapping against your shirt/jacket, only to realize its not raining outside......

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Busket Posket posted:

No no no no no

yes yes yes yes yessssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
That used to be a person. Now it's feeding the bug army