Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Is the anime tie-in stuff bad and/or is it still in the game?

I stopped playing a bit before they introduced that stuff and upon learning of it I figured I was done.

BUT THEY'RE PULLING ME BACK IN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Lastdancer posted:

You're gonna need to be a bit more specific than that. The game has been chock full of anime crossover content for years. It's all just cosmetic crap you can ignore, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lastdancer posted:

I stopped playing a bit before they introduced that stuff and upon learning of it I figured I was done.
why would anime tie-in stuff make you stop playing the game, its just costumes and minor quests

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Talking about the PSO2 Anime that came out; I just wasn't interested in that angle and I heard that it became part of the game, so I just lost interest. If it's actually coming here now I'm probably gonna just play through it, but I was just wondering how much of the anime the game takes on because I saw a little bit of that anime and... yeah, not interested in that.

Endorph posted:

why would anime tie-in stuff make you stop playing the game, its just costumes and minor quests

If it's just that then cool, I'll deal just fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Oh, literally nothing? The anime was just an ad for the game, the premise is just 'characters playing hit video game phantasy star online 2,' there's absolutely no need to play it to follow the game's plot or anything and there's not a ton of collaborations or crossovers with it. It's just a cheap 22-minute ad they aired for a few months.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

Oh, literally nothing? The anime was just an ad for the game, the premise is just 'characters playing hit video game phantasy star online 2,' there's absolutely no need to play it to follow the game's plot or anything and there's not a ton of collaborations or crossovers with it. It's just a cheap 22-minute ad they aired for a few months.

No, it does tie in to the Ep 4 story with some significance (and a bit in Ep5 later).

You still do not need to and indeed should not watch it.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
:aaaaa:
Looks like I'm going to have to buy an x-box.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
We don't know anything about what's going on with this Microsoft platform release beyond "its happening" and "it will be playable in North America"

I'll play it to hang out with people sometimes, but I won't be burning my account on this server any time soon. I still remember Phantasy Star Universe's Xbox360 server, and that was only 3 months behind the Japanese server to start.

That said, we don't know anything about what's happening on the Japanese server beyond a vague hint at a new class sometime this winter; so for all we know this could even be integrated into the Japanese servers!

and I can say that with a straight face because if you told me PSO2 was going to be at the microsoft E3 event yesterday I would have told you that joke was already old 5 years ago

EDIT:

Ardeem posted:

:aaaaa:
Looks like I'm going to have to buy an x-box.
look in the bottom right corner of that image

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

But will there still be Quna concerts?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

NextTime000 posted:

look in the bottom right corner of that image

:toot: Yay :toot:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

NextTime000 posted:

I'll play it to hang out with people sometimes, but I won't be burning my account on this server any time soon. I still remember Phantasy Star Universe's Xbox360 server, and that was only 3 months behind the Japanese server to start.

To say nothing of Eternal Christmas.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Maybe I'm just the odd one out, but I don't look forward to a version of PSO2 where every block is B-007 and I'm also a little too invested in the current server to just throw it away.
Not to mention most of the people I know who are/were into the game ended up playing on the JP server with me anyway.

I'll give it a shot, probably, but I doubt I'll take it seriously at all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Unless account transfer is a thing I'm probably staying where we already are. I ain't doing the hellgrind for that goddamned 13 star rappy egg again! You can't make me!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Have you done the hell grind for the 14 star rappy egg? :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
YOU CAN'T MAKE ME. :cry:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's so easy to get stuff that's passable equipment nowadays (and even fairly easy to get top-tier stuff compared to how it used to be) that I don't really think starting new would be too bad, even if you play in tandem or something

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

throw to first drat IT posted:

Hello is this where I become anime?

I am also curious if this is where I become anime?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Plasbad posted:

So I was just thinking about getting into this, but since it's now officially going to have an English release, I'm not sure if I should go through all the downloading and patching or if I should just wait. Does anyone think it'd be worth investing into now?

If you want to play with goons, get lots of crossover stuff that won’t get brought over to the western version, or play it at all before 2020 then go ahead and install it now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

get lots of crossover stuff that won’t get brought over to the western version

Everything is coming over, at least that's what the trailer suggested when it said "all the content".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Everything is coming over, at least that's what the trailer suggested when it said "all the content".

I wouldn't take it to mean that as such. It's mostly just assuaging fears that it'd be stuck in Ep2 forever like SEA.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have to say I'm puzzled by this announcement but am nonetheless pleased that I'll finally get to play PSO2 in the good old U S of A.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Saagonsa posted:

It's so easy to get stuff that's passable equipment nowadays (and even fairly easy to get top-tier stuff compared to how it used to be) that I don't really think starting new would be too bad, even if you play in tandem or something

Yeah this is true, we've helped plenty of new players rocket through the gear grind lately (one made their first Atlas Ex wand after like two weeks of playing). Getting everything re-affixed, though... :shepface:

NextTime000 posted:

and I can say that with a straight face because if you told me PSO2 was going to be at the microsoft E3 event yesterday I would have told you that joke was already old 5 years ago

:same: this was really unexpected

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I don’t think it’s like EVERYTHING-everything. That would be a legal nightmare.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I have to say I'm puzzled by this announcement

Same. I saw the announcement and I was like "...why?". But then I remembered that I actually know a few people personally who might be interested who didnt burn themselves out on the japanese version ages ago.

So I guess maybe I'll try the US version? Maybe? :confused:

Edit: also switch version or fuggoff :saddowns:

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
presuming separate servers; I'm also concerned about access to the 8 years of non-collab cosmetics too

as well as how cosmetics are distributed via gatcha/lootbox to begin with, which isn't the best look these days

but yeah maybe there's going to be a little more info this week; though they could wind up leaving us completely in the dark again until 2020 for all we know :v:

EDIT: as for the "why" question; well, there's at least going to be a whole lot more to do at launch compared to 7 years ago. as for "why now, after all this time"; yeah that's still unknown, and probably going to be a real funny story to hear

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 10, 2019

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah, I meant after all this time. The prior thread was enititled 'the fantasy of a western release', and its the one I clicked through on my UP to get here so I can register my astonishment that it actually is happening, and that I'm not stroking out.

I was 100% it would never happen, but here we are

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I bought an ice silver vita in February specifically to put cfw on it and play PSO2 with the English patch. I'm up to 89 as phantom with 85 gunner and 85 ranger. Just bought some AC which was the last step in triggering the western release. Sega sure had me when they closed down the PSO2 site last year but now that I see it was all just part of their plan, it's definitely :stoke: (I thought this said master stroke)

Also, sorry eurbros.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 10, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PSO2 western version will probably shut down in a year or two if we are being completely honest with ourselves. The game is pretty dated now, and I just don't think too many people in the west are going to be able to grasp or accept the way PSO2 handles content and gameplay mechanics.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

Edit: also switch version or fuggoff :saddowns:

Hope you like THE CLOUD

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I think you'll be surprised by the turnout; and well, I'll still say it'll be better to have had more people to have played this at least a little then to have never played it at all.

while I am all too familiar with their management of Xbox-based servers; I wouldn't be here today had I not played on those servers.

not to mention, if it shuts down in 2 years that's basically at the end of pscrew's original plan for this game's development support; so the amount of stuff they'd be missing out on would likely be minimal at worst.

The only really dated-feeling things in this game are strictly non-combat related; which is at least half of the reason I've been able to keep playing this for these seven whole years. The other half is the friends I've made along the way, which likely won't be an issue for people getting into the xbone version.

As for the combat, I've convinced people to start playing simply by sending them this video alone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBQpkqDddM

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 10, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There are literally dozens of us who haven't played PSO in 20 years excited that the sequel is finally coming to the US, which is enough to keep the servers afloat.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
It's also a less of a hassle to get friends to try it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Adaptabullshit posted:

It's also a less of a hassle to get friends to try it

You're right, as an adult I no longer have any friends so I won't be bothered.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I honestly don’t know what the gently caress took them so long

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am confused, will it be for Xbox and PC or Xbox only?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I am confused, will it be for Xbox and PC or Xbox only?

Xbox and Windows 10

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I have had trouble off and on trying to get into the japanese release by myself cause of commitments of playing other games with friends over the years.

My lazy rear end friends no longer have an excuse to avoid PSO tweaker and the English Patcher. This is a boon to me. If i cant get them on the JPN release i can get them on the western.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

I am also curious if this is where I become anime?

This is where you become all the anime at the same time. :getin:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the worry that they'll blanket IP ban the states like they did for SEA when those servers release founded? Kinda pissed off if they do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is the worry that they'll blanket IP ban the states like they did for SEA when those servers release founded? Kinda pissed off if they do that.

Yeah there's some concern about that and it'd suck if they did, but you could always get a VPN.