Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

Do you see a lot of unsecured firearms in your line of work?

Definitely. Every ~4th apartment has a gun, sex toy, hard drugs, or a fat wad of cash sitting out. "Giving a poo poo" is an extremely uncommon trait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Definitely. Every ~4th apartment has a gun, sex toy, hard drugs, or a fat wad of cash sitting out. "Giving a poo poo" is an extremely uncommon trait

Dang, my inspections usually involve student housing with growing levels of cabinet-top booze.

I did have an inspection where the PCA guy joked about making the lack of tidiness in one unit a required repair. Not so much filthy as just 5 or 6 college dudes who gave zero fucks.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
You need to secure that cash when they’re not looking.

Self posting but my coworker gave my wife a funko pop (it’s Britney, b) and I’m very upset about it and it’s going to tear apart our happy home I just know it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

zelah posted:

You need to secure that cash when they’re not looking.

Self posting but my coworker gave my wife a funko pop (it’s Britney, b) and I’m very upset about it and it’s going to tear apart our happy home I just know it.

The first one’s free.

The next 4,000, well...

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Krispy Wafer posted:

The first one’s free.

The next 4,000, well...

loving hell, there really are that many

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I worked in IT with a guy that had Funkopops at his desk and was super excited about Ready Player One.

He was also well dressed, well groomed, physically active, married, and had good social skills. I don’t understand.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I worked in IT with a guy that had Funkopops at his desk and was super excited about Ready Player One.

He was also well dressed, well groomed, physically active, married, and had good social skills. I don’t understand.
I don't believe you.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

there's been something like 3 pops released per day since they started. what the gently caress

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

RP1 wasn't aimed at goons, it was aimed at dudes whose formative movie watching years were the 80s.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What exactly is the appeal of Funkopops? They all look gently caress ugly to me so what, is this another beanie baby fad?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Aces High posted:

What exactly is the appeal of Funkopops? They all look gently caress ugly to me so what, is this another beanie baby fad?

"Nerdy" beanie babies, yeah.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Not only are they ugly, they have poo poo fabrication too. You'd think a simplified plastic doll could at least have clean mold lines and consistently applied paint but they can't even manage that

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

silvergoose posted:

RP1 wasn't aimed at goons, it was aimed at dudes who think it's cool to pretend their formative movie watching years were the 80s.

PS: can confirm letting someone else own a boat is GWM.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

silvergoose posted:

RP1 wasn't aimed at goons, it was aimed at dudes whose formative movie watching years were the 80s.
¿Por qué no los dos?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I enter people's homes for a living and I can confirm that Funko Pops go hand in hand with mental illness. If there's a single Pop in a household, there is likely to be hundreds more, plus tons of garbage, a dog that shits indoors, kids' bedrooms with no furniture, etc.

Any time Amazon ships a Funko Pop to an address, they should send a social worker with it

We only have one. It's of Kevin from Home Alone, given to us at our annual Thriftmas party (all gifts must be $10 or less, chili is served, and it is done White Elephant style). Our dog shits outside.

The friend who gave it to us...well, she keeps a pack of Virginia Slims in her freezer and smokes them socially over the span of 3 months. She looks like a brunette Betty Draper when she does. I dunno, I got nothing on her.

I did find out that the co-worker I mentioned earlier that somehow has a $2,700 a month apartment on a 50k a year pre-tax salary has NO health insurance. At all. Her basic opinion is that she doesn't want to know if something is wrong, so why bother having it. We all kind of jumped on her for that, so she MIGHT sign up in the next go around, but let's be honest...I don't think she has the $50 twice a month to spare.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BMan posted:

there's been something like 3 pops released per day since they started. what the gently caress

There is a Wheel of Fortune set with a Vanna variant.
Bloody hell.

Content:

This starts off as just being potentially bad with money. Continue with the comments and she's just as delusional as he.

"r/relationships posted:

My husband and I have been married several years. I finished college, he didn't (and didn't really need to due to his audio experience). We moved to a big city and he immediately got a job in audio. It didn't pay the best, but combined with my salary, we were living comfortably.

Eventually, we decided to move to a cheaper area so he could transition to doing music full-time (as he'd found he enjoyed music more than audio engineering).

We've been in the cheaper area for about six months now. He does gets songs released through labels and travels to DJ different gigs (about 2 per month), but he barely makes any money off of this. Luckily, he still does a bit of audio work on the side for his music friends, so that's the main way he makes money.

My main concern for a long time has just been him cancelling out his own expenses (because he spends a LOT on music gear). So far he's been good about this, but last month we ended up $7K in the red, which he will probably earn back, but... I'm very stressed. Lol.

I'm just so tired of it. I got a higher-paying job and we're still in a worse situation than when we lived in the city due to him doing music. It's like I'm working harder and harder yet my quality of living just keeps getting worse. He's living his dream, but there's no money for me to have any hobbies or do basically anything. I've spent most of my 20s just sitting at home doing nothing so that I can afford to support us while he does music. And he's so busy with music that we barely spend time together... but I can't ask him to not work as much because the more he works, the faster he'll get to the point of making real money, and we need that.

He's making amazing progress and I don't want him to stop because I fear that if he gets an audio job, he'll be unhappy the rest of his life. And the best time for him to take this risk is now, before we have kids.

I should also add that I've been looking for a second job for a long time now, but nothing has come through. And it feels unfair for me to work my rear end off while he lives his dream. Maybe that's selfish of me, but that's how I feel.

How do I get over this resentment/actually start living my life through all this?

tl;dr My husband is living his dream with a music career but I feel like there's nothing leftover for me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I really want to know what version of "doing music" this is. Because it sounds like they glom on guy you call only because he's got the PA setup so you don't have to rent one.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

silvergoose posted:

So.... goons? Is there anyone left on this website that isn't pushing 40?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Barry posted:

Yes? A whole lot of early to mid 30s that have zero connection whatsoever to the 80s.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

silvergoose posted:

Yes? A whole lot of early to mid 30s that have zero connection whatsoever to the 80s.

My 80's connection is that I was born in them. Technically lived in them for 4 years but I literally have no knowledge of it.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

silvergoose posted:

Chronologically, sure. Physiologically? Years of shitposting then poopsocking with vidya games, soda, and fast food have aged you well beyond 40.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bloody hell.

Content:

This starts off as just being potentially bad with money. Continue with the comments and she's just as delusional as he.

WTF, why would you need to quit your full time job to play two gigs a month? He's not a musician, he's just unemployed.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
But can you imagine, like, not having your dream job? Seriously.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
But guys, he’s making incredible progress. There’s no upside for her here. If he continues to struggle, she burns money. If he becomes a success he’ll leave her for someone more exciting (because she has no hobbies and works all the time).

Also, isn’t doing audio work supposed to be part of the dream? Working in the industry doesn’t mean you’re always the talent. Given the choice of working around music or working around an Excel spreadsheet I’d think he’d still be moderately happy sharing time with both.

Barry posted:

I’m pretty sure everyone in CSPAM and D&D is 13.

Edit: I grew up in the &0’s and the whole decade sucked. My kid just recently discovered music from before she was born and she’s all about the 70’s tunes but says 80’s songs sound weird.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 11, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

spwrozek posted:

My 80's connection is that I was born in them. Technically lived in them for 4 years but I literally have no knowledge of it.

Well yeah no emotional connection, is what I meant.

Anywho, funkopops are indeed super dumb and bwm.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A musician mooching off his girlfriend/spouse? Weird!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

howdoesishotweb posted:

Chronologically, sure. Physiologically? Years of shitposting then poopsocking with vidya games, soda, and fast food have aged you well beyond 40.

Fuckin hells yes.

Sadly something awful is actually pretty gwm.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bloody hell.

Content:

Loooool the dude is an aspiring techno DJ and is in his early 30s. Boats sailed on that career if you aren’t already famous bud.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also, isn’t doing audio work supposed to be part of the dream? Working in the industry doesn’t mean you’re always the talent. Given the choice of working around music or working around an Excel spreadsheet I’d think he’d still be moderately happy sharing time with both.

I’ve seen this attitude before with writers. Only wanting to do their art or research (in the case of academics) rather than the poo poo that will pay the bills.

All of them were trust fund kids who could afford to ignore poo poo like “getting money to pay rent” and “building a career before I’m 40.”

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 11, 2019

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

BMan posted:

There's no question in my mind that the limiting factor is the speed at which they can license intellectual property, not the speed at which they can clone job out little figurines and mold them in China

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
For those of you who miss the Bogwitch, the LA Times has a feature on Witches of Los Angeles. https://www.latimes.com/columnone/la-me-col1-witches-of-los-angeles-20190611-htmlstory.html

quote:

There’s no official list of job duties for witches, no state licensing board that notes educational or training requirements (which means clients proceed at their own risk). Services run the gamut, from herbal workshops to love spells to communing with spirit guides; some witches charge up to $200 an hour for their time.

quote:

In January, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office released a warning about a blessing scam in which victims, many of them seniors in immigrant communities, were told that a terrible misfortune would befall their family unless a blessing ceremony was performed on their valuables.

One senior put more than $70,000 in cash and jewelry in a bag for a blessing. She was told not to open the bag for two days. When she finally did, all she had was a bag full of newspaper.

“There are always people who might be charlatans,” Berger says, “but in my experience most people who call themselves witches believe they are helping clients, and their clients believe they are being helped. Whether you think it’s ‘real’ or not, there’s nothing wrong with that.”

quote:

Daashuur is a former musician and celebrity stylist who now earns her living channeling spirits and sharing their insights with her clients.

She calls herself the Spirit Guide Coach.

Over the past two years she has seen private clients several times a week in a small pyramid-shaped space on the grounds of her home. The 75-minute sessions cost $200.

Daashuur and her clients begin with an offering to the spirits — candles, flowers, sage, chocolate — and a meditation. Then, she says, she goes into a light trance and starts to communicate with the spirit guides.

“I kind of picture it like we’re all sitting around an old ’70s kitchen table,” she says. “We have a chat.”  

By the way, if Witches of Los Angeles was a Bravo reality series, I'd watch the gently caress out of it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

canyoneer posted:

maybe a bugler

Combine your passion of horses with being a bugler

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CannonFodder posted:

Combine your passion of horses with being a bugler

Also, what kind of rear end in a top hat hides bones from their dog?

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
On Monday I was at the MOT station, waiting for my car to go through it's MOT. On the TV in the waiting room was one of those British afternoon quiz shows, Impossible.

The first guy that got through to the final was asked what he would do with the winnings (potentially £11,500). He said that his daughter wanted a horse, and he wanted a boat.

Thankfully, he didn't win.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice post from the bike thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522580&pagenumber=522&perpage=40#post495865158

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Dik Hz posted:

Also, what kind of rear end in a top hat hides bones from their dog?

I read it as the dog was eating them and/or burying their bones.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BWM 2019: My car only takes a 1 1/4" hitch, but I'd prefer to get the 2" -- guess I gotta upgrade the car as well.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cyrano4747 posted:

BWM 2019: My car only takes a 1 1/4" hitch, but I'd prefer to get the 2" -- guess I gotta upgrade the car as well.

I love his response:

And then my car might be worth more than my bike, so I'd have to upgrade that...

Obviously he is joking but I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Oof. This has to hurt. When companies collapse is BWM for everyone. This isn’t BWM per se, but still, yikes.

My company may be doing something unethical.

quote:

Here’s the situation:

I work in medical sales and last month our CEO stepped down, the sales manager took a leave of absence and asked everyone to “respect his privacy”. No big deal here.

Last week we had a sudden conference call that basically changed the way we operate entirely, and these changes will take place on July 1st. They promised us an official release on Monday with details and what to relay to Doctors. Monday comes, nothing. Tuesday comes, nothing. Wednesday comes, nothing.

So, we all believe something unethical was taking place with the way doctors were getting reimbursed for their services and that’s why things suddenly are changing.

Here’s where I need he financial advice, though. Currently I make about 180k a year. It’s a very good job and I don’t want to leave it if nothing is in fact going on. I also don’t want to stay put and wait it out only to have me and my family left hanging dry. What should I do in this situation?

Approach corporate for more of what’s going on?

Just look for a new job?

Wait it out?

If I do wait it out, would I be in mine for severance or unemployment? Additionally, what would I be looking at in terms or compensation?