Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Daewon posted a thank you relating to the documentary on his instagram along with a short edit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxwazgVBrBm/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

I love his style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Just found out that Ron Whaley skated boards that were like 8.2" wide with size 14 shoes. That's pretty wild and I'm gonna quit bitching about not being able to find boards wide enough for my size 13s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSe5V2sVKok

That board looks itty-bitty under those feet, holy poo poo.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Aren't big rear end boards kinda 'in' nowadays? I could be wrong about that. I keep going up .25 inches at a time I don't know when it will start to get annoying. It's cool that there are amazing skaters who are big boys as well as the stereotypical twig like teenager.

Anyways I have been skating again and having the best time. But I'm doing this cool thing where I am getting more consistent with the flip on my kickflips but at the price of for some reason landing sideways on my back foot and rolling the poo poo out of it. not great!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm sure someone out there has min/maxed board size vs landing in terms of ease to flip, weight, and foot landing area but like every sport the "optimized" thing isn't always the one that gets the best results for an individual.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Business posted:

Aren't big rear end boards kinda 'in' nowadays? I could be wrong about that. I keep going up .25 inches at a time I don't know when it will start to get annoying. It's cool that there are amazing skaters who are big boys as well as the stereotypical twig like teenager.

Anyways I have been skating again and having the best time. But I'm doing this cool thing where I am getting more consistent with the flip on my kickflips but at the price of for some reason landing sideways on my back foot and rolling the poo poo out of it. not great!

I kept going bigger but then once I got to 8.75"-9" I found that it started making some things harder just cause the board is a little less maneuverable. Then I went back to 8.5", things were easier to do and I'm going to skate that for the foreseeable future.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I've attempted to skateboard 3 times in my life. Once when I was a little kid and my dad bought a powell complete from ron jon surf shop, then when I was in the navy as my friends were all skaters. That deck was 8 inches I think? I rebuilt my board with a 8.25 deck and it felt a lot more stable. I also put in new bushings but the bonez mediums don't really feel all that stiff as I can still get wheel bite.

I was having fun trying to get back into skating but I broke my foot last week doing non-skating things.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
8.25 - 8.5in is absolutely the standard now which rules because people are still riding 52-54mm wheels like its 2001

thats for street btw. at parks it isn't unusual to see bigger with aysemmetrical shapes

kids with babby shoes are doing laserflips and poo poo on 8.25s so don't overthink it. go smaller if you wanna get insanely tech but the tradeoff isnt worth it imo

overall its barely an inch or 2 difference so it reallt depends on how ocd you are

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

After trying for literal hours between yesterday and today, I think I have finally broken the habit of pushing mongo. Using my front foot to control the board is starting to feel "correct" to my weird brain.

If you are in the NYC metro area, I'd highly recommend Skateyogi in Brooklyn. They have adult classes for not very much money, and the staff is very nice and laid back. It was extremely helpful to just have someone watching my stride and giving me pointers.

Feels good to be skating, goons. But holy poo poo am I sore right now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hey, I know gently caress all about skating that isn't in a video game, so I'm hoping I can get some advice ITT. If you were setting up a complete newbie, what would you suggest to get them off on the right foot? In terms of like sizes and wheels and stuff. My niece is friends with a bunch of skaters I guess and wants a board for her birthday (she's 13 so probably like, not a kiddie board). I think they probably just hang out and skate around their culdesac, not really any parks near her or anything, so keeping that in mind.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

homeless snail posted:

Hey, I know gently caress all about skating that isn't in a video game, so I'm hoping I can get some advice ITT. If you were setting up a complete newbie, what would you suggest to get them off on the right foot? In terms of like sizes and wheels and stuff. My niece is friends with a bunch of skaters I guess and wants a board for her birthday (she's 13 so probably like, not a kiddie board). I think they probably just hang out and skate around their culdesac, not really any parks near her or anything, so keeping that in mind.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Enjoi_Whitey_Panda_LTD_Complete/descpage-EIWPCMP.html

I just got this for my 11-year old daughter. Obviously if your niece is like 6' or something, I'd get a 8.25" width deck, but that's a decent inexpensive starter board. If you have a local skate shop you can support, look for something similar there.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Independent published their 2019 Rip Ride Rally video and it's full of fun stuff. Glad that Jerry Gurney's time trial run made the cut, that guy's p nuts. Also featuring Willis Kimbel as "the Phelper."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un6YQLsf7cA

Lumpy posted:

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Enjoi_Whitey_Panda_LTD_Complete/descpage-EIWPCMP.html

I just got this for my 11-year old daughter. Obviously if your niece is like 6' or something, I'd get a 8.25" width deck, but that's a decent inexpensive starter board. If you have a local skate shop you can support, look for something similar there.
Seconding this.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 10, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thanks guys! Yeah I was going local, I just wanted to get an idea of what I'm looking for, didn't want to gently caress her over somehow.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

Thanks guys! Yeah I was going local, I just wanted to get an idea of what I'm looking for, didn't want to gently caress her over somehow.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah just grab a complete-set from a known company, probably not much cheaper than that 65 if you want to ensure quality parts, and you're all good.

The local shop should also have their own deals on a non-pro-model complete set up that's not all-boxed like that one where they'll just wrench it all together and griptape it for you there.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB37n0Rd2-8

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:yeshaha:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lmbo

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

homeless snail posted:

Take her to a skate shop and let her try and pick stuff out for herself. Most skate shop staff I've dealt with were pretty knowledgable and happy to help new skaters out.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
old man here trying out his 20+ year old skateboard again since I moved to a town with a beautiful skate park.
( and my wife likes to chill and watch king of the road)
The asphalt here in general is absolute shite. My skateboard might be more than 20 years old, the wheels bolted on it are even older.
Like all skateboards, it makes a lot of noise for what it is. And I don't want to annoy the neighbors too much.
So I was thinking, what are the best soft wheels to drive on asphalt with the texture of a crocodiles back, and dampen the noise a bit.
The same goes for bearings, I remember the difference in noise between good ones and old ones. But maybe there's been some progress on that part?

And maybe there's other things I can do to make the board a bit more quiet. I imagine that this isn't a priority for most skaters.

I general I don't feel skateboards have changed that much, if at all. Which is maybe also part of the beauty of it.
But feel free to tell me otherwise. Like I said, old fart not in the know.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

mrfart posted:

old man here trying out his 20+ year old skateboard again since I moved to a town with a beautiful skate park.
( and my wife likes to chill and watch king of the road)
The asphalt here in general is absolute shite. My skateboard might be more than 20 years old, the wheels bolted on it are even older.
Like all skateboards, it makes a lot of noise for what it is. And I don't want to annoy the neighbors too much.
So I was thinking, what are the best soft wheels to drive on asphalt with the texture of a crocodiles back, and dampen the noise a bit.
The same goes for bearings, I remember the difference in noise between good ones and old ones. But maybe there's been some progress on that part?

And maybe there's other things I can do to make the board a bit more quiet. I imagine that this isn't a priority for most skaters.

I general I don't feel skateboards have changed that much, if at all. Which is maybe also part of the beauty of it.
But feel free to tell me otherwise. Like I said, old fart not in the know.
Bearings are loud when they're old, so new bearings will be quiet. Bones Reds are what I've been using forever and they're good/cheap/available. Softer (i.e. lower durometer, like 80A) wheels will be quieter and better able to deal with the rough terrain.

edit: I need new shoes and can't decide on Vans or some other brands. None of the stores in town have my size (13) so it's hard to try any on. Strayes are okay, but I'm not really impressed with their durability.

scuz fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 14, 2019

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah reds go for like 15 bux on the eaat coast

ask for the softest wheels they make the biggest difference. you can also use non-plastic risers if you can even find them anymore.

the best filmers have boards with giant soft wheels, like longboard style, but they use normal/large-ish decks so they can still ollie up curbs and stuff. they roll forever because the wheels just blob over pebbles and cracks and you never have to push unless going up a signifcant hill or on cobblestone

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

scuz posted:

edit: I need new shoes and can't decide on Vans or some other brands. None of the stores in town have my size (13) so it's hard to try any on. Strayes are okay, but I'm not really impressed with their durability.

i skated vans for like 10 years when i worked for them but nowadays i have just been getting the busenitz over and over. best skater - best shoes considering vans aren't cheap anymore

also maybe check out new balance? a lot of ppl are trying them now that arto saari got involved

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thief posted:

i skated vans for like 10 years when i worked for them but nowadays i have just been getting the busenitz over and over. best skater - best shoes considering vans aren't cheap anymore

also maybe check out new balance? a lot of ppl are trying them now that arto saari got involved

I hadn't really thought about NB, but I'll check those out. Pretty bummed that nobody seems to like high tops as much as I do, already broke an ankle and would prefer a little more protection than "none at all."

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've been getting Vans Kyle Walkers ever since Lakai stopped making the old marc johnson. They are pretty good for me and almost like a mid with the high Achilles part.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

scuz posted:

Pretty bummed that nobody seems to like high tops as much as I do, already broke an ankle and would prefer a little more protection than "none at all."

Right?
I remember, back when the animals could talk, everybody had high tops because if you didn't the nose or tail of someones skateboard was gonna end up in your Achilles heel or something.
I guess the low ones breath more and have better movement.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feawbb2fjas

:drat: Chris Pierre is a beast of a skater

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is there an electric skateboard thread, or is this it? I just bought a Boosted Mini S from a kid on Craigslist yesterday. If I had any idea how much fun these powered skateboards are I would have bought one ages ago. It's all the fun of skating around town, with none of the work. It's so loving perfect for me because I sort of live at the top of this slow sloping hill, so going anywhere is amazing but getting home basically involved carrying my board and walking. Buzzing up these same hills on the Boosted board? loving amazing.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Andy MacDonald's been using a Boosted board on vert from time to time so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. At least it's not a scooter!

XIII posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feawbb2fjas

:drat: Chris Pierre is a beast of a skater
:eyepop:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9PSIIZ2K7Q

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I see someone with one of those boosted boards on my commute and it makes me jelly, looks hella fun. I think the pics online make them look smaller than they are, unless the person I see has an outdated version it's more like an 80's asymmetrical board than a penny cruiser.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 17, 2019

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Favorite old guy skater Ben DeGross made a NB 420 review and I THIIIIIIIIIINK I found my shoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtMz1pwY-Oo

More looking around has revealed that the synthetic material actually holds up really well even compared with suede so I'm pretty stoked. They're not high tops, but I've kinda given up on finding any of those that I really like.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

brandon westgate and donny barley were chillin at our park last weekend and they both had shoes like that 🙈

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I am building an electric skateboard from scratch, and it has turned into a pretty large project. I can post more about parts, cost, etc. if people are interested. I'm certainly no expert, however, and have just been piecing info together from other people online. I'm waiting on a few parts and still need to decide on a couple final things, but once everything starts getting put together I will be able to speak on them more confidently.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I have a couple friends with OneWheels (which are more like longboards or snowboards I guess) and they're both covered in scabs from bailing.

Thus, my wife has disallowed it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Read an article about a pro skater form my local town, who came out with a video about his alcohol/drug addiction. It's loving brutal to read.
( https://www.freeskatemag.com/2019/06/04/jarne-verbruggen-what-paradise/ ) and skate video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz6EbAYKnAw

Judging by the comments there's a lot of others with serious issues?
I don't know anything about the current skate world.

His skate videos are fantastic, though. Like the locations.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/By3-r1UlM0E/?igshid=113goosg4ed0

Not skating, but I'd rather post a cool clip of it rather than a depressing picture. Rumors going around that El Toro is getting demolished or altered. They are going to have to make it literally unskateable or else it will just be a new, probably more dangerous challenge.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Rip El Toro

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NonPK5SUT3U

:911:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
somebody did a bike jump off the roof onto the new el dirto bank

https://www.instagram.com/p/By4D9hCFbdc/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
*Fry meme*

not sure if praiseworthy continuation of street sporting on the spot that righteously declares that they just spent thousands and didn't solve their problems

or terrible desecration of a holy site by filthy bike riding heathens