Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

there's not enough b-ball's here, and the background should be something other than black but you're onto something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Finally

Uncle Wemus posted:

Platinum games works in a space harrier reference to every goddamn game they do

Give Barkley 2 to Platinum, bhroom!

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

mp5 posted:

there's not enough b-ball's here, and the background should be something other than black but you're onto something

how bout this

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
it's beautiful

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Barkley 2 developed by Platinum and directed by Yoko Taro

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

Gortarius posted:

I think I'll hit the snoozegow and I think there are 2 possibilities when I wake up...

1. Thread has been gassed

2. B2 Demo appears and thread is filled with people yelling about how bad the game is and if this is really what we wasted 6 years on

3. with the demo bhroom has managed to gaslight even more people into thinking this game is coming out and that they'll actually get to see any of the stuff that's been mentioned in this thread.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Found what I think is the Space Harrier BBall prototype. Dont have a windows machine around to double check so it may also be virus infested garbageware. Let me know if its the right thing.

ThisIsBBall.exe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FQDvFoQS3DznrY2Ed9oQhEQD9N04TBdN/view?usp=drivesdk
spaceharrier.gm81: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UECWe5FtSJkUvf4TET78swDvZ240ChIW/view?usp=drivesdk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bisse posted:

Found what I think is the Space Harrier BBall prototype. Dont have a windows machine around to double check so it may also be virus infested garbageware. Let me know if its the right thing.

ThisIsBBall.exe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FQDvFoQS3DznrY2Ed9oQhEQD9N04TBdN/view?usp=drivesdk
spaceharrier.gm81: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UECWe5FtSJkUvf4TET78swDvZ240ChIW/view?usp=drivesdk

I can confirm this is very real

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bisse posted:

This never happened but we wanted to make a Mode7 cutscene where Hoopz sings among a golden barley field about finding out who he is. The song I think was meant at one point to be a cover of that Sting song with the lyrics changed to ’Fields of Barkley’.

I made a Mode7 engine for this and also used it for a Space Harrier B-Ball prototype. My idea was the bball competition quests would all stay the same except when players are on court and ref starts the game you are suddenly taken to this absurd Space Harrier minigame where hoopz runs with a B-Ball through skyscrapers and enemies like T-rexes, helicopters etc and then dunks a hoop at the end. Then back to the court and players go ”Wow that was a good match!”. This was before TTX existed.

After TTX and its quest happened I wanted to make a quest where Hoopz scoffs at the lame imposter b-ball (TTX) kids grow up with these days and finally gets a chance to play True B-Ball (Space Harrier). This never went beyond ideas stage because I could never write a quest to completion to save my life. Another addition to the Cool Ideas Landfill.

did you at any point, any of you, even consider any feature at all which actual humans might have one day been able to incorporate into a game

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Treebeh posted:

I just wanted to follow news on the sequel to my favorite Basketball JRPG and I ended up reading five pages of discussion on furries and nazis and stuff.

The thread got even worse since this post lol

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

did you at any point, any of you, even consider any feature at all which actual humans might have one day been able to incorporate into a game

It doesn't seem like they were too concerned about it which is funnier than the actual writing so I think it's a good project when all is said and done

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

The craziest part is that the impossibly complex stuff seems to have been mostly implemented and it’s the other poo poo that ended up sinking the project .

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

Bisse posted:

Hot drat playable Barkley 2. Thread delivers! This was awesome, I dug that it had a sort of 3D Worldrunner vibe to it but it also reminded me of the bonus stage in Sonic Blast (I do not recommend playing Sonic Blast but I would play this)

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Its true what they say about humor not aging well, grew to appreciate that while working on Barkley2.
Even over just the course of working on Barkley2, some of the jokes have probably taken a different tone than they started with, which is I guess a pretty specific risk for humorous games that take forever to make.

If you remember one of the early clips we showed of character creation, there's a bit where you choose your gender. There's like 6 options, and you can pick any combination of em, even all of them at once. Your choice is represented on a little statue that resembles the Venus of Willendorf. So you get to set up your identity as part of an over-elaborate WRPG-style character creation system, alongside answering quiz questions to choose your alignment and picking tarot cards etc.

But time marches on, and in the meantime, reactionary manchildren grow really fond of "attack helicopter" jokes and all of its knee-slapper variations to mock trans and genderqueer people, and never seemed to have really moved on from that joke even years later. Today, that screen could be interpreted as just more of that garbage.
Problems like that are the kind of thing playtesters can really help with, obviously, but we havent been doing much of that. With how its executed, I think its fine. but I'm not the target of that kind of mockery, so its pretty easy for me to say.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The craziest part is that the impossibly complex stuff seems to have been mostly implemented and it’s the other poo poo that ended up sinking the project .
This.

Space Harrier prototype: 20 hours tops.
Gunsfusion: Massive
TTX: 1,100 hours
Combat: Maybe 2–3-4000 hours total?
Babby huey dissection minigame: Not that much I think?

Basically making a crazy but haphazard one-off minigame is a lot easier than making a complex balanced system fitting into a larger puzzle.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Its true what they say about humor not aging well, grew to appreciate that while working on Barkley2.
Even over just the course of working on Barkley2, some of the jokes have probably taken a different tone than they started with, which is I guess a pretty specific risk for humorous games that take forever to make.

If you remember one of the early clips we showed of character creation, there's a bit where you choose your gender. There's like 6 options, and you can pick any combination of em, even all of them at once. Your choice is represented on a little statue that resembles the Venus of Willendorf. So you get to set up your identity as part of an over-elaborate WRPG-style character creation system, alongside answering quiz questions to choose your alignment and picking tarot cards etc.

But time marches on, and in the meantime, reactionary manchildren grow really fond of "attack helicopter" jokes and all of its knee-slapper variations to mock trans and genderqueer people, and never seemed to have really moved on from that joke even years later. Today, that screen could be interpreted as just more of that garbage.
Problems like that are the kind of thing playtesters can really help with, obviously, but we havent been doing much of that. With how its executed, I think its fine. but I'm not the target of that kind of mockery, so its pretty easy for me to say.
For what it's worth, Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor and Caves of Qud have similar systems related to gender and both developers are progressives. Really just depends what the "joke" is -- in those cases, the joke/worldbuilding comes from "gender is chaotic, confusing, and sometimes very silly," not South Park-esque dolphin poo poo. I don't think you'd have any trouble there. But I agree with you in general.

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019
It occurs to me that you could just have made a totally fake RPG system. Make a fun mouse and keyboard shooter, make the gun's utility focused, then had the damage numbers seem to scale based on level but in effect be totally meaningless. That would be funny and also extremely playable. I wanted to get my hands on this for all the weird random bullet patterns and stuff. Most of the actual numbers go up stuff in RPGs is basically negligable anyway, look at Destiny, which only uses it really to gate content. The actual progression part of Destiny is a good perks setup. Since Barkley 2 was a single player game you could have just had bigger numbers being the little reward that tickles the lizard brain.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

FrankieSmileShow posted:

of course i can only speak for myself but as a trans lady i woulda taken my gender of female with a side of cyberdwarf with pride

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bisse posted:

Basically making a crazy but haphazard one-off minigame is a lot easier than making a complex balanced system fitting into a larger puzzle.

Yeah, see, in the fantastical dream world where Barkley 2 actually happens, now I'd want it to be an exploration game ala Jazzpunk where you wander around, finding funny things, talking to bizarre NPCs, playing weird minigames, and uncovering the story. No combat needed, and the humor takes center stage.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Bisse posted:

Haha if you take too much stamina damage on Bball.exe the green health bar just continues to cover up the word "Stamina"

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s easy to say what B2 should’ve been and what was possible in retrospect, but I would’ve been thrilled to have played the run and gun shooter they were planning. I love that type of gameplay and I could see it working just fine in a Barkley game.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like that it turned out like Event Horizon only instead of a group of quantum physicists who try to achieve faster than light travel and accidentally discover hell it's a group of indie game developers who try to make the ultimate random epic internet humor game and accidentally discover the LD50 for THC

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Seshoho Cian posted:

how bout this
I'm looking forward to this gang tag.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Seshoho Cian posted:

how bout this

I still don't get the ballin vibe but it does look very solid otherwise, well done jammer

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gortarius posted:

I think I'll hit the snoozegow and I think there are 2 possibilities when I wake up...

1. Thread has been gassed

2. B2 Demo appears and thread is filled with people yelling about how bad the game is and if this is really what we wasted 6 years on
The word "snoozegow" is killing me, thank you for this post

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barlarley

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
*Clicks "Show only posts made by Bongo Bill"*

Bbardvark

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Bark box

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Oh, nothing has still actually happened.

I guess it's just impossible to put in a few dark drakers to block the areas you don't want to show, click the "Make .exe" button and upload it. There's only been six loving years to do this but hold on, let's not rush things, wouldn't want to look like fools here by rushing things.

This really loving annoys me and I'm extremely salty over this. Reminds me of that time back in the early days when there was some really good momentum for the project, I was making the Character Creation segment from the designs I was being shown and told, and it only needed one or two more days of work from the people involved and it would have been feature complete but then all of a sudden let's just stop working on it for no reason. It's not interesting anymore. We can't possibly muster the energy to design the last 10% of it or have the guy who was making the graphics for it draw up the remaining sprites.

Should've just done it on my own, except then I would've been told to go gently caress myself for making unauthorized work.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 11, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mp5 posted:

I still don't get the ballin vibe but it does look very solid otherwise, well done jammer

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Gortarius posted:

Should've just done it on my own, except then I would've been told to go gently caress myself for making unauthorized work.

Hearing all this stuff from you and the other ex-devs has been harrowing but also cathartic. Thank you for blowing the lid on this mess.

RIP borkely

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The second one is perfect. Think I’m gonna buy it when I get home from work.

Is cboy still reading this thread? I wouldn’t blame him if not but I’d certainly love to hear the tracks he made.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've been lurking this thread for a week now and I wanna say that second tag is the better of the two- if you wanted my random dumbass opinion :v:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Bisse posted:

This.

Space Harrier prototype: 20 hours tops.
Gunsfusion: Massive
TTX: 1,100 hours
Combat: Maybe 2–3-4000 hours total?
Babby huey dissection minigame: Not that much I think?

spend less on combat???

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

spend less on combat???
Hu

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

spend less on combat???

someone who is good at the developing please help me budget my time. my game is dying

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The second one absolutely whips rear end, great job

Gortarius posted:

For what it’s worth I’m glad you are posting in this thread and I hope all this is somewhat cathartic for you.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

90s Cringe Rock posted:

spend less on combat???
Yeah combat should have just been Beyblade

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Is cboy still reading this thread? I wouldn’t blame him if not but I’d certainly love to hear the tracks he made.

He hasn't been, I think the whole topic is still a big source of anxiety for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

spend less on combat???

no