Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

JBP posted:

Kojima throws out the lines and when the biggest fish bites he reels it in and boats away.

Kojima ghosted the poor lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Adaptabullshit posted:

According to Stefanie Joosten, the model who was the face for Quiet, Kojima had asked her to play Fragile in DS and then never followed up.

https://youtu.be/J5Grr35FwnI

Hopefully he just forgot, 'cause that's pretty lovely.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

JBP posted:

If you are in the Death Stranding thread because you are interested in Death Stranding, you've done yourself an enormous disservice missing out on MGS2 forward.
I'd love to pickup where I left off 20 years ago if the PS5 ends up having PS2/PS3 compatibility. I've heard great things but the story reminds me of one of those long-running comic books that's gone in so many different directions over the years any discussion inevitably sounds like utter madness.

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah MGS2 is a cultural treasure.

I remember my dad buying me a PS2 + MGS2 package that they used to sold pack then? That was a thing right?
I don't know man, I jumped ship for Halo never looked back until PS4. I had a great time running through the whole Uncharted series last year since I never played a single one. With Death Stranding I'm kind of glad I can finally get back into a Kojima game without having to catch up on another decade worth of poo poo I missed out on.

Skeletron fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 11, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RatHat posted:

This is the guy who made David Hayter re-audition for his roles even after he’s been Snake for over a decade

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
David and Stefanie were just not famous enough.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Skeletron posted:

I'd love to pickup where I left off 20 years ago if the PS5 ends up having PS2/PS3 compatibility. I've heard great things but the story reminds me of one of those long-running comic books that's gone in so many different directions over the years any discussion inevitably sounds like utter madness.

It absolutely has and it's a joy if you're on the ride. My PS3 broke down and I bought a replacement for a hundred bucks a couple of years ago and all I wanted it for was to play the MGS HD release once a year.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

RatHat posted:

He didn’t forget, he’s just a starfucker.

This story would make more sense if she said Kojima wanted her to be Mama, since the actress he got for that looks a lot like her.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

he was ashamed of his words and deeds

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Look Sir Droids posted:

He didn’t forget, he’s just a starfucker.

This story would make more sense if she said Kojima wanted her to be Mama, since the actress he got for that looks a lot like her.

Starfucker is 100% going to be either a character name in DS or the name of some spacefaring organisation. You heard it here first.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’m okay with it if it’s Star Fuckerman.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funny thing about Hayter is that he was a much better Snake than KS imo. I kind of bought Kojima's lame explanation for the switch initially, but after playing the game he was just boring by comparison.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing about Hayter is that he was a much better Snake than KS imo. I kind of bought Kojima's lame explanation for the switch initially, but after playing the game he was just boring by comparison.

it's kinda neat at the end when Sutherland is almost doing a David Hayter impression

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
We're going to continue to see this trend of using every actor you can get your hands on for video game capture for I predict maybe 5 more years before everyone realizes most of them either can't hack it or don't care and it dies down a lot, like the celebrity voice actor trend of the mid-2000s. Also people may start to realize that faces you know from something else are bland faces and one of the best aspects of computer graphics is that you aren't constrained by them like real life.

Also you're going to see the widespread use of heavy mocap for a few more years before people start re-realizing that realism is generally a poo poo target, and handcrafted animations generally work better for non-photorealistic art styles.

Kojima will never change, though, because he's always desperately wanted to be a movie producer and director and video games are his way of getting as close to that as he can. Give him another 5 years and you'll have to be a A-lister to get cast as an extra in his games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah games really seem like they are cycling back into getting big name actors like they were around 2006 and it just seems like a waste. I don't think people generally give a poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

K8.0 posted:

Kojima will never change, though, because he's always desperately wanted to be a movie producer and director and video games are his way of getting as close to that as he can.

This is a very odd meme considering that Kojima has done more than most people in the industry in terms of using video games as a medium to tell stories that would be impossible in any other medium.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

One of the major themes of Metal Gear Solid 2 is the relationship between player and the character they're controlling. Raiden himself is has played Metal Gear Solid 1, and that effects his relationship with Snake. And it literally ends with Raiden going off to define himself, not only as a person no longer trying to emulate the video game character he idolized, but also by explicitly rejecting the role of a player-controlled character in a video game. I don't know how people could play through that and think "this mother fucker just wants to be making movies"

Like, Kojima is just loving around using video games as a medium in unprecedented ways while quietly seething that he's not making Die Hard 7

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

At the very least the whole "Kojima just wants to make movies" idea should've been killed when Kojima became friends with Guillermo del Toro and decided to collaborate with him on a video game.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

yeah games really seem like they are cycling back into getting big name actors like they were around 2006 and it just seems like a waste. I don't think people generally give a poo poo.

uh, did you completely miss all of the "Keanu Reeves won E3" gushing?

many, many people give a poo poo

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There's always going to be a push toward more realism and detail, and we're already well past the point where artists can keep up. So we have to scan faces and do motion-cap, that's not going away. And there will end up being people who are good at acting in golf ball suits, and do it regularly as their job, and so you might see them from game to game. So maybe the fervor over pulling movie stars into video games will die down, but I don't think the idea of actors looking recognizably like themselves in different games is going to go away. We might even end up with the notion of a video game star. It's already kinda happened with Troy Baker and Nolan North -- they don't always disappear into their characters, and have become small-scale celebrities as a result. This will apply even when people are playing fantastical, unrealistic characters -- Thanos is a big purple alien with a scrotum chin, but he still has a lot of Josh Brolin's features and mannerisms.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

friendly 2 da void posted:

Keanu is huge tho. Everyone- the internet especially- likes him as a human being and a signifier of goodness, not just as an actor. That was a masterstroke on CD Projekt's part, getting him involved.

Guys like Reedus or Mikkelson, on the other hand, are actors associated with well liked projects. From a cultural perspective they are in no way comparable to ol Reeves.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

No one's going to buy Cyberpunk because of Keanu. People who weren't previously aware of Cyberpunk might now be aware of it because he's involved, but that's because big-name celebs attaching themselves to games is still a novelty. If it happens a lot then it'll stop being a novelty, and will stop being effective as a marketing gimmick.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"a signifier of goodness"?

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

mysterious frankie posted:

Keanu is huge tho. Everyone- the internet especially- likes him as a human being and a signifier of goodness, not just as an actor. That was a masterstroke on CD Projekt's part, getting him involved.

Guys like Reedus or Mikkelson, on the other hand, are actors associated with well liked projects. From a cultural perspective they are in no way comparable to ol Reeves.

I mean, I agree completely but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about whether or not videogames are going to enter a big starfucker phase, and they totally are, because celebrities drive a ton of attention and love and AAA games need the increased noise to stay relevant. Keanu is proof people DO give a poo poo when you pick the right actor. CD Projekt aren't unique marketing geniuses, they're just a little bit smarter and faster on the gun than everyone else. You can expect all the major studios to start dropping big-name mocapped actors (and probably Youtubers and top 40 pop artists, oh god) into games over the next few years.

Why is this happening now? It's a combination of increased budgets, increased mainstream acceptance of videogames and gaming culture (celebrities aren't walking away from these offers anymore, we're in the post-Forenite era), and better graphics and mo-cap. You can actually have actors play themselves in games now, and people really do give a poo poo about them. I'm guessing the "Keanu moment" will happen many many times in the future.

All of which applies to Kojima and Death Stranding, in kind if not in degree. Obviously Reedus and Mikkelson and del Toro didn't create the same level of buzz (although they created a ton tbqh), but that's because Kojima is more-or-less prototyping the trend. Yesterday it was Kiefer, today it's Keanu, and tomorrow it will be Beyonce.

If you want to know exactly where gaming is going next, look at Kojima. Also if you want to know exactly where gaming will never ever go again, look at Kojima.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Rinkles posted:

"a signifier of goodness"?

he's mopey and gave people motorcycles once. practically a saint.

but seriously, he's enjoying elevated cachet at the moment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

mysterious frankie posted:

he's mopey and gave people motorcycles once. practically a saint.

but seriously, he's enjoying elevated cachet at the moment.

He pops up in a lot of places doing nice things for people. He's extremely rich but seems grounded and people like it. He paid for a woman's excess baggage at the airport one day for instance. His public image is that of a righteous dude.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lady Gaga and Ted "Theodore" Logan being involved elevate Cyberpunk above a potentially good Deus Ex knockoff to me

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Keanu seems like a good dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmBJdx7peo

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

On the other hand, Cyberpunk will merely be good, while Death Stranding will be memorably odd.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

friendly 2 da void posted:

Yeah but Keanu Reeves is basically a walking meme now. Would you say that reaction is even remotely representative of other celebrities being in games?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Keanu Reeves is a one of a kind celebrity, his cult of personality is just.. Different. Tbh I'm not sure who would've possibly been more exciting than him within the realm of accessibility. He's got Bill Murray levels of love.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A lot of people itt are forgetting that Call of Duty with Kevin Spacey in it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m okay with it if it’s Star Fuckerman.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

acksplode posted:

No one's going to buy Cyberpunk because of Keanu. People who weren't previously aware of Cyberpunk might now be aware of it because he's involved, but that's because big-name celebs attaching themselves to games is still a novelty. If it happens a lot then it'll stop being a novelty, and will stop being effective as a marketing gimmick.

'Celebrity is in [X]' will always be mildly effective because the general public will always love celebrities. See: SNL still being profitable despite not being funny for several decades

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

'Celebrity is in [X]' will always be mildly effective because the general public will always love celebrities. See: SNL still being profitable despite not being funny for several decades

SNL isn't an action RPG with dozens of hours of gameplay that costs $60, it's some stupid poo poo you put on in the background for a couple hours a week. Low commitment. Keanu is not getting people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in a game like Cyberpunk to buy it. He's getting the attention of gamers who would otherwise be distracted by another video game. That's why they put him on stage at E3. Put it this way: if all Cyberpunk delivers on is Keanu, everyone looking forward to it will be pissed, and probably become cynical about celebs in games.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 12, 2019

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

acksplode posted:

SNL isn't an action RPG with dozens of hours of gameplay that costs $60, it's some stupid poo poo you put on in the background for a couple hours a week. Low commitment. Keanu is not getting people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in a game like Cyberpunk to buy it. He's getting the attention of gamers who would otherwise be distracted by another video game. That's why they put him on stage at E3. Put it this way: if all Cyberpunk delivers on is Keanu, everyone looking forward to it will be pissed, and probably become cynical about celebs in games.

It didnt happen when Patrick Stewart and Liam Neeson did it

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

It didnt happen when Patrick Stewart and Liam Neeson did it

I don't know what you're referring to, which I guess speaks to the extreme mildness of what slapping a celeb on the box can do for a game's brand awareness.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

acksplode posted:

I don't know what you're referring to, which I guess speaks to the extreme mildness of what slapping a celeb on the box can do for a game's brand awareness.

Bethesda (Oblivion and FO3).

According to what CDPR told Game Informer, Keanu has a big role and is present throughout the game.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Oh yeah, those are not comparable situations. The trend we're talking about here is a celeb's complete likeness being put into a game, not just a film actor doing VA. Hell, I completed FO3 and forgot Liam Neeson was in it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You idiots, you absolute clowns... 50 Cent pioneered this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Didn't they try to put Bruce Willis in a PS1 game? I remember the EGM cover story, but I can't remember if that actually got released, or was cancelled, or ended up becoming something totally different.