Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

That’s clearly just David Lee Roth from 1980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

He was a fun boss in Alpha Protocol.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Good to see Leonard Rockstein turned his life around

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Good to see Leonard Rockstein turned his life around

I mean he had a medical degree.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

He didn't age well, but at least he found a fallback gig

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I usually hate catchphrase characters but Rockso never got old for me, and I couldn't even say why.

I miss Metalocalypse so much, and I'm genuinely bummed out that it'll never get a proper ending.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Probably for the best really. I mean I love Metalocalypse but let's be real, the mythology got less interesting as it went on.

Like it could have worked if it made a full pivot into being a serious show, but you can tell that's not what Adult Swim wanted. See also: The Venture Bros and the case-study of what happens when an animated comedy does go full-on drama-- Morel Orel.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barry Foster posted:

I usually hate catchphrase characters but Rockso never got old for me, and I couldn't even say why.

I miss Metalocalypse so much, and I'm genuinely bummed out that it'll never get a proper ending.

:same:

It produced the best death metal (music video includes flickering images, so be careful if that triggers seizures for you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIGuLXCziU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mind the walrus posted:

Probably for the best really. I mean I love Metalocalypse but let's be real, the mythology got less interesting as it went on.

Like it could have worked if it made a full pivot into being a serious show, but you can tell that's not what Adult Swim wanted. See also: The Venture Bros and the case-study of what happens when an animated comedy does go full-on drama-- Morel Orel.

Morel Orel was fantastic and I would consider buying a Blu-ray release of the series.

I've got the season 1 DVD but man it hits season 2 and 3 and just went off the rails

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Morel Orel was amazing, but it also got cancelled and the creator himself has been up-front in saying [paraphrased] "Adult Swim was unhappy because they wanted a goofy 'David and Goliath' parody and they got a stone-cold psychodrama. I get that. They didn't get what they had paid for."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

It's because he didn't show up enough to get worn out. They also treated him like an annoying character that almost everybody hated and tormented him some. Granted he also had some Bill the Cat Effect going on; absolutely everything about him is utterly repulsive so he loops around and becomes everybody's favorite character.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

It ended just like Murderface’s birthday: in disappointment :haw:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The fact that they had an entire episode that revolved around him loving a 14 year-old in the 80s, with the final punchline being that now he wants to gently caress that woman's 14 year-old daughter, and it didn't tank the entire series right there... yeah that's skill.

Like ToxicSlurpee said-- it helps that he's so vile none of the other characters actually like him, they don't frame anything he's done as a good thing (although they walk the line in that episode), and most of the time he's there it's to get violently dunked on for being such a piece of poo poo.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Dr Rockzo is a top-shelf example of writing a character that's intentionally obnoxious without them actually being a chore for the audience. It's really easy to miss the mark on that.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It's like Bill Ponderosa from Always Sunny. He's that one dude who's somehow so much worse than the main cast and it's a spectacle to watch him destroy his own life over the series.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Honestly what ruined Moral Orel for me was hearing the creator is like some edgy racist dude? Like yelling at feminists and dropping n-bombs in Facebook threads like the worst kind of uncle.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aw that's sad.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Grand Gigas posted:

Honestly what ruined Moral Orel for me was hearing the creator is like some edgy racist dude? Like yelling at feminists and dropping n-bombs in Facebook threads like the worst kind of uncle.

Gonna need some evidence that Starburns is a chud. Can't seem to find anything on my searches.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The only damning thing I can find is he is friends with Andy Dick

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s actually worse

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

oldpainless posted:

That’s actually worse

More like olddickless.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

More like olddickless.

Ders' dad definitely packs Thor's Hammer, though

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I binged Morel Orel after only seeing the first season. Season 3 is some of the best television I've ever seen and I never want to watch it again. Apparently it was an extended apology from the creator to his family for being a drunk rear end in a top hat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Moral Orel starts off as something a 2000's era edgy Internet atheist would poo poo out but then it just changes on a dime to a genuinely great exploration of the hypocrisy and destructiveness of American Christian fundamentalism ending with the exact opposite message the show started off with.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Jun 12, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GrandpaPants posted:

Gonna need some evidence that Starburns is a chud. Can't seem to find anything on my searches.

Oh poo poo I didn’t realize Moral Orel was made by Starburns

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MY NAME IS ALEX!!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Moral Orel starts off as something a 2000's era edgy Internet atheist would poo poo out but then it just changes on a dime to a genuinely great exploration of the hypocrisy and destructiveness of American Christian fundamentalism ending with the exact opposite message the show started off with.

A forgotten part is that Adult Swim insisted on running their Christmas episode first, because the show was starting near Christmas. So people who turned in got a horribly depressing story that was supposed to be a dark finale and that's one of the first tastes of what they really wanted to do with the show, without any of the buildup from the silly episodes that made it work.

Just don't ever watch the special that they made about young Orel going to live on the farm with his grandfather. One of the big planned plotlines that got cut was Orel going to live with his grandfather while his leg healed, which would lead to him actually exploring his own faith through learning about atheism being a thing. I was always bummed that we didn't get that character arc.

Then they did a special, "Before Orel" that was close to it by focusing on a young Orel going to live on the farm while his mom was pregnant, and oh boy it was just a solid block of r/atheism that even my angry atheist rear end felt was dumb. The entire plotline is that Orel has perfect "faith" so people just constantly lie and gently caress with him and he's too dumb to realize it...it's not good.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's insane to me, given MASH's popularity, that none of the streaming services have done a Catch-22 series.

Has anyone said this post hasn't aged well yet? :v:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

MY NAME IS ALEX!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuGeWA-5pVs

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Moral Orel was a very liberal TV show and had episodes and had a very positive portrayal of a lesbian. I do not think it could be made by someone who "yells the n word and about feminism". Googling Dino Stamatopoulos, and googling that name with feminism brings no results.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Trust me you should hate him. No I won’t give any evidence or sources to back this up but trust me. Ok just trust me, he’s a BAD MAN with BAD OPINIONS

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
he called my dad a homophobic slur on social media

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Grand Gigas posted:

Explain yourself.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Has anyone said this post hasn't aged well yet? :v:

What's this about?

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Explain yourself.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Harmontown/comments/2l8l0w/official_video_of_episode_126_live_from_chicago/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
This is one. Lemme look for more.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

What's this about?
George Clooney is doing a Catch-22 mini-series for Amazon.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

I mean I do wanna note I was just recalling an anecdote that ruined a creator for me. I’m not cancelling him or anything. I’m sorry for hurting your feelings and saying someone may be bad, goons.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

George Clooney is doing a Catch-22 mini-series for Amazon.

Hulu.

I think all the episodes have been released. I'm on episode 2. It's alright. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the 1970's version though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The problem wasn't that you're trying to 'cancel' someone. It's that you 'recalled an anecdote' with zero citation on an issue that seems surprisingly well-buried for how explicitly awful it is. Just cite your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hulu.

I think all the episodes have been released. I'm on episode 2. It's alright. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the 1970's version though.
Oh word. Yeah I don't bother with Hulu. I tried watching the 70s version on Amazon and aside from baby Martin Sheen looking like the most arrogant son-of-a-bitch on planet earth I couldn't get into it. The humor looked like it worked way better on the page than the screen.