Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, Gyro's death feels way worse than any to me in JoJo if only for how much you know it devastates Johnny. Bruno, Caesar and Kakyoin dying are bummers, but Giorno, Joseph and Jotaro knew them for like, not even two months, and they all have other people in their lives too. Johnny and Gyro really feel like they only have each other, and you can buy that they've become great friends over the course of the story.

Still tho, I don't think I'd change it, it's so important. Gyro is, on paper, the hero of the Steel Ball Run. He's fighting to save a sick kid, and has a family legacy to live up too, meanwhile Johnny is here for totally selfish reasons. Johnny isn't trying to become a better person, he's trying to remove a punishment that he was dealt (justly or unjustly however you read it). But Gyro's death and final words is what propels Johnny into the proverbial saddle and take the reigns as the Hero of this story, shown in how his final battle is a classic JoJo vs DIO battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gyro dies as a direct consequence of walking back on his redpilled True Man's World bullshit and putting himself at risk to save Lucy. Everything else aside I like his failure against Valentine comes from deciding being a good person is more important than ABSOLUTE DETERMINATION even though the stakes in his case are literally fatal.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can deal with Gyro dying, but the kid he was trying to save dying of a cold was just unnecessary.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

TheLoneStar posted:

I can deal with Gyro dying, but the kid he was trying to save dying of a cold was just unnecessary.

Honestly, he hadn't been trying to save that kid for at least half of the race by that point; he wasn't even all that concerned with winning the race anymore because stopping Valentine was self-evidently much more important. My impression was that this ridiculously pointless death was a self-ironic tying-up of a dangling plot thread left from the first third of SBR, which blatantly had a different plot than the last two thirds.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

BaDandy posted:

I always read that scene as "This happens in American prisons," like all of the other stuff that was establishing what Green Dolphin Prison was like. And it absolutely does happen in U.S. prisons, all the time.

Part of me doesn't believe that Jolyne wouldn't know a trans dude when she sees one because it's implied she's kind of into the gay/drag scene, but then, cis people act really loving mystified about what hormone therapy can do, so eh.

I thought the whole joke was "Jolyne is naive" since we see that the prison also has men in it. The guard just gave some excuse for why they were being searched in the same room.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Momomo posted:

I thought the whole joke was "Jolyne is naive" since we see that the prison also has men in it. The guard just gave some excuse for why they were being searched in the same room.

the men's prison is a separate prison on the same island i thought

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

multijoe posted:

I would really like to hear Araki try and explain what was up with all the elves and goblins in Part 6. Even for a series called JoJo's Bizzare Adventure that was such a baffling artistic choice.

Those elves and goblins are just normal American citizens.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I just finished part 7. I see why people like part 7 and Johnny Joestar in particular. Guess I had a couple issues with the ending, though. Mainly every rider who had something at stake for the corpse chase or horse race is dead except Johnny so it turns out the race outcome did not matter. Also everything that happens to Lucy or around Lucy is completely hosed, her arc is stranger and more unpleasant than Weather Report's rainbow snail arc. But when it's the Johnny and Gyro show it is extremely strong.

I can't really compare part 6 and part 7, part 6 is the third sort of exploration into the world created by Stardust Crusaders and a culmination of all that. Part 7 even when stands are involved it does not feel like parts 3 thru 6. Don't think I can put one of 6 or 7 above the other, same with Jolyne and Johnny. Part 6 though stuck its landing for me.

oh, and Dio content: I find Dio interesting as a villain as he's one of the better incarnations of the mystique around The Devil, an enthralling wickedness with power and presence but that began as a man. So part 6 explores that maybe he had ideals and a plan, maybe there was something more going on with him... and then part 7 and its ending is basically a reminder that if Dio had never become a vampire he'd just be a creepy rear end in a top hat. I guess Diego with Scary Monsters might have been on a little bit of a redemption path, having to face down someone stronger and work with others. Funny Valentine's Diego though is an encapsulation of what he really is.

Well, on to past 8, which I've noticed no one puts on the "top jojos" list. Gear up for a very odd sounding story.

Part 8 is good but extremely bizarre.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the real biggest mystery of part 6 is how emporio is decked out in cubs gear despite living in a prison in florida his entire life. now that i think about it i wonder if it's an allusion to the chicago fire?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's a Cubs uniform, he almost certainly found it in the trash can he travels in.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Part 8 is good. Paisley Park is a really cool stand and Soft & Wet is a really good song.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if jojo parts were decided on cool the stands looked, soft and wet, paisley park and king nothing would make part 8 phenomenal

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nut King Call is an awesome stand even if it is attached to Joshu who I love after Milagro Man

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I like JoJolion overall, but at the same time I'm kind of ready for it to just end already. Araki pretty blatantly rewrote where the main story was going to go at least once, and it feels like the endgame has been around the corner for at least two or three years, but it just never happens. And this is usually because some Rock Human or other similar figure gets introduced right out of nowhere to stand in the protagonists' way. Not to mention Josuke has just kind of become another Giorno.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Didn't Koichi get shot in the neck by the stand arrow? And lived?

E: with josuke helping him of course.

Ee: meaning that neck and arrow is probably fatal.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 11, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it doesn't matter where you get shot by the arrow, it only matters if you can support having a stand which the arrow jumpstarts. if you can't then you will die, barring loopholes like koichi where he gets healed and later develops his stand

i don't think we ever have anyone just get fuckin domed in the brain by the arrow but maybe presumably they'd be fine as long as they can hold a stand because it usually seems like a wound isn't a problem as long as they have enough willpower to pull through.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
koichi was some random, weak-willed kid with no hidden depths when he got shot. jotaro effectively bypassed the arrow selection process for koichi, which means he probably could do it for any living thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i like to imagine that if koichi was unworthy of a stand echoes would have just stayed an egg

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Crazy Diamond's ability to heal people and restore objects is just a side effect of its true ability: to impose character development.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

somepartsareme posted:

the men's prison is a separate prison on the same island i thought

Yeah, that's where Annasui initially was.

That doesn't stop Jolyne from being naive, but showing a transgender man in a women's prison is way less convoluted than a guy giving such a specific explanation just to gently caress with someone. Araki does a ton of research about everything he writes and probably stuck it in as a weird/interesting fact.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
california king bed is the stupidest stand in the entire series so far, both in terms of design and powers

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's a rihanna song so it rules actually

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

california king bed is the stupidest stand in the entire series so far, both in terms of design and powers

California King Bed's design was primarily chosen because Araki wanted to make it "cute and fluffy", since it belonged to a little girl.[4]
:colbert:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7oFaOYJGQU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

TheLoneStar posted:

I remember feeling like that played into the themes the part was going for when I read it, although I can't remember why I thought that now.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheLoneStar posted:

I like JoJolion overall, but at the same time I'm kind of ready for it to just end already. Araki pretty blatantly rewrote where the main story was going to go at least once, and it feels like the endgame has been around the corner for at least two or three years, but it just never happens. And this is usually because some Rock Human or other similar figure gets introduced right out of nowhere to stand in the protagonists' way. Not to mention Josuke has just kind of become another Giorno.

part 8's main flaw is that it's a mystery story and (good)mysteries require super consistent and laid-out plotting which does not work with araki's style at all

Josuke still beats Giorno because his power is still consistent despite how bonkers busted it is unlike giorno's "just does whatever"

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Part 8 will live or die, depending on whether ice motorcycle maid appears again and does awesome stuff

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Part 6 and 8 for me share the same issue in that Araki clearly thought "I'm going to step out of my comfort zone and do something different!" and as time goes on reverts back to what he's used to, has to bail or isn't able to pull some ideas off, and generally flounders.

For 8 specifically, considering that all parts single out the villain asap (bar Part 4 which hones in on him halfway through) the fact that Jojolion still kinda doesn't have a clear "this is the badman gogetem" just makes every chapter feel unfocused towards anything at all.

e: When it's done and over it'll probably be better in retrospect but the month to month read is fuckin weird.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yinlock posted:

Josuke still beats Giorno because his power is still consistent despite how bonkers busted it is unlike giorno's "just does whatever"
I meant more that Josuke is just really loving boring now. I miss the charm he had early on in the story.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Gappy's determination to save Holly like thirty chapters ago because she's the only connection he has to he was as a person was the last time I really liked him, as it played into the deep loneliness he felt as an amnesiac in the very beginning, but he really feels completely muted of his original weirdo characteristics. Combined with Soft & Wet just doing whatever, I really don't care about him too much

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Someone hit a bingo in the anime thread

Vookatos posted:

I've watched all the openings and endings, because they loving rule, and noticed something in the latest ending. Spoilering because if I'm right, it's actually kinda huge. I'm too lazy to verify this, but I'm pretty sure new stands were added from bottom to top every time we met them since the ending was introduced. Now, on the second part of the pillar, we first see Fugo, and then Abbacchio's stands, followed by Narancia and Bruno. Only then we see King Crimson weirly in the middle of all this, not in some cool or important part of the tower, followed by Trish, Mista, and finally Giorno. So, uh... Is this the order characters loving die (or in case with Fugo, leave)? I mean, there were some foreshadowing moments in endings before. Makes sense why King Krimson is in the middle of all the bullshit and not more prominent, but still fairly close to the top.
What makes me think it's all bullshit is Bruno being higher than Narancia. I mean, they both got hosed up, but Bruno can't even loving walk. And my only hunch is two characters at the bottom, aside from enemy stands, so I could just be reading too much into this. I kinda hope so, frankly. Still have hopes for Bruno's recovery.

So yeah. This is a theory, don't spoil poo poo, I don't care if I'm right or wrong. Just noticed that and thought it might be a thing.

If that's intentional in the ending then I didn't even notice.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's definitely intentional and i think people were picking up on it as soon as the ED started airing. they've done that sort of thing multiple times before in the past.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Szmitten posted:

Part 6 and 8 for me share the same issue in that Araki clearly thought "I'm going to step out of my comfort zone and do something different!" and as time goes on reverts back to what he's used to, has to bail or isn't able to pull some ideas off, and generally flounders.

For 8 specifically, considering that all parts single out the villain asap (bar Part 4 which hones in on him halfway through) the fact that Jojolion still kinda doesn't have a clear "this is the badman gogetem" just makes every chapter feel unfocused towards anything at all.

e: When it's done and over it'll probably be better in retrospect but the month to month read is fuckin weird.

I think the kicker here is Damo who would've been an a+ big villain but got killed immediately and part 8 has been spinning it's wheels ever since

also a lot of part 8's fights are just "josuke and/or yasuho get chased by some automatic stand"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i like automatic stands

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
One complaint I have about part 8 is that there seem to be a lot of running fights, where the main crew is being chased or is chasing someone. Chase sequences are to be expected in a mystery story I guess but I just want them to catch this 89(?) year old man already!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hatty posted:

One complaint I have about part 8 is that there seem to be a lot of running fights, where the main crew is being chased or is chasing someone. Chase sequences are to be expected in a mystery story I guess but I just want them to catch this 89(?) year old man already!

ore wa Chase You

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I don't think the story has been spinning its wheels ever since Josuke's amnesia got cleared up, but it definitely made Josuke less interesting. Maybe that maybe-maybe-not-love triangle popping up is an attempt to get him more involved again while the finale is ramping up.

However, I think Jobin has gotten MUCH more interesting ever since then. I'm kinda hoping he turns out to be the big bad now, despite the obvious looming shadow of Kaato; he's kinda unique as far as JoJo antagonists go. He's menacing, yet kind of a whiny pampered fuckhead. He's really loving scared of Josuke. He's pathetic, yet weirdly ambitous. I have a feeling there's some major crazy loving poo poo coming up with this guy.

Also, I gotta know what's up with this 89-year old guy, I mean can you believe this guy is 89 years old

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

this guy's age doesn't make sense

i have trouble believing he's an 89 year old man

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The 89 year old man is the big bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

how can someone be 89 years old, that's not a real number