Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Cocoa and honey sounds intriguing. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I do cocoa and honey as well, with some milled flax seed, sometimes I add banana, sometimes I add peanut butter, sometimes I add both.... just blend with almond milk and stir in oats after

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's tomato season, my dudes

BLT and a grilled zucchini walnut salad

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

It's tomato season, my dudes

BLT and a grilled zucchini walnut salad

My vines are flowering like crazy and are reaching the 2nd rung of the cage, can't wait for this poo poo to be ready.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Hoi sin glazed cured pork belly strips with bao buns, pickled daikon/carrot/cucumber and rice flavoured with cardamom, lemon grass and pandan leaves.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Raikiri posted:

Hoi sin glazed cured pork belly strips with bao buns, pickled daikon/carrot/cucumber and rice flavoured with cardamom, lemon grass and pandan leaves.

:drat: That looks loving amazing. How was the pork belly done, just in the oven?

sterster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 5, 2019

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Raikiri posted:

god drat

i tried making bao buns a few weeks ago and failed absolutely miserably. instead of soft, delicious buns of goodness i instead got rigid, crusty bullshit. i followed a recipe and have no idea if it was the recipe (probably not) or me (probably)

may I ask how you properly make these little pillows from heaven?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

sterster posted:

:drat: That looks loving amazing. How was the pork belly done, just in the oven?

Thanks, yep, I cooked them for about 3 hours at the lowest setting on my oven (slow cook, below gas mark 1) in a covered dish.

Took them out, drained, glaze then cook for 10 mins at gas mark 6 then repeated another 2 times.

kumba posted:

god drat

i tried making bao buns a few weeks ago and failed absolutely miserably. instead of soft, delicious buns of goodness i instead got rigid, crusty bullshit. i followed a recipe and have no idea if it was the recipe (probably not) or me (probably)

may I ask how you properly make these little pillows from heaven?

I am awful for actually using recipes or weighing stuff and this was my first time making these but I'll give you roughly what I used.

250 - 275g plain flour (tipo 00 as this was all I had)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 tsp instant yeast
125ml water
30ml milk
2 tsp veg oil
1 tsp rice vinegar

Mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
Mix the water, milk and 1 tsp oil.

Add to together and form a slightly wet dough, add more flour or water as required.

Add 1 tsp rice vinegar to the dough (I didn't add this earlier as I thought it might cause the milk to separate).

Knead for 5-6 mins then rest in a covered bowl for 1 hour or so, depending on how warm the room is.
After it has doubled in size knead again then roll out to around 1/3 inch/8mm thick.
Add the last tsp oil on top and brush, cut with a 3.5-4 inch round (should get 6 ish).
Fold over in half and roll out a little bit more, then rest again in the steamer.

Steam for 12-13 mins, take off the heat but leave them in the steamer, covered for another 10 mins before serving.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Empty the fridge udon. Miso marinated red snapper, big pile of miso butter shimeji mushrooms and some blanched yu choy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pan-roasted cod with green garlic and snap pea risotto

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Matafan- a fancy French word for a giant pancake fried in bacon grease and butter and filled with bacon and onions and covered in cheese.

And of course I grabbed the 425 degree handle of the fresh out of the oven skillet when I went to cut it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Matafan- a fancy French word for a giant pancake fried in bacon grease and butter and filled with bacon and onions and covered in cheese.

And of course I grabbed the 425 degree handle of the fresh out of the oven skillet when I went to cut it.

Worth it?

Holy poo poo that looks good.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s pretty easy/simple really. Just don’t grab the hot skillet. I use this recipe and it’s good hot out of the oven and also good cold for lunch the next day. I used pancetta instead of bacon and threw the white parts of the green onions in after the pancetta has browned a bit to soften them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...560053054118700

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I was going to get out the DSLR but then I ate the rice.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Grilled cabbage with bacon? Anything else go into that? I always dig grilled veggies.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Totally Reasonable posted:

I was going to get out the DSLR but then I ate the rice.

Omuriiiiice

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ZombieCrew posted:

Grilled cabbage with bacon? Anything else go into that? I always dig grilled veggies.

Just a sprinkle of salt then some blue cheese dressing.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just made pesto/Alfredo sauce since my basil is going nuts. A friend brought me a jar last summer and it was to die for so I thought I’d attempt it. Oh boy you should try it, I’d never heard of it. I went with about half and half of each. Heavenly.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bacon, lettuce, onion, avocado, tomato (BLOAT) with mayo and pickled hot pepper spread on toasted hearty white bread.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The Midniter posted:

Bacon, lettuce, onion, avocado, tomato (BLOAT) with mayo and pickled hot pepper spread on toasted hearty white bread.

A+

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Gimme that sandwich

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Goddamn. Just goddamn.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Midniter posted:

:vince:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing super impressive, but I liked how breakfast turned out this morning:

Cracked some eggs into some hash browns, simple seasonings, melted some cheddar cheese on top, and couldn't decide on what sauce to top it with, so I did a different sauce for each egg. Ketchup on one, sambal oelek on another, and okonomi sauce with kewpie mayo on the last so there was a sour one, a spicy one, and a savory one.

Spoiler: I expected the okonomi one to not work at all but it ended up being my favorite.

It was all good though!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Framboise posted:

Nothing super impressive, but I liked how breakfast turned out this morning:

Cracked some eggs into some hash browns, simple seasonings, melted some cheddar cheese on top, and couldn't decide on what sauce to top it with, so I did a different sauce for each egg. Ketchup on one, sambal oelek on another, and okonomi sauce with kewpie mayo on the last so there was a sour one, a spicy one, and a savory one.

Spoiler: I expected the okonomi one to not work at all but it ended up being my favorite.

It was all good though!

Why is it screaming?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
you'd scream too if you were about to be devoured

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Framboise posted:

you'd scream too if you were about to be devoured

goonmouth vore the eggs

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Sauerbraten, spaetzle, rotkohl und gurkensalat

Marinade (ended up marinating the beef for 8 days. It was actually amazing)

spaetzle maker!

always butter your spaetzle between batches

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
For your future Spaetzle adventures, they are something you can easily freeze. The clean up is so annoying that I kept making around 2.5kg per batch and just froze it for future use. Goes really well with most of the meat/sauce combos from Europe (Voressen/Osso bucco/stoofvlees).

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Ranter posted:

Sauerbraten, spaetzle, rotkohl und gurkensalat

Marinade (ended up marinating the beef for 8 days. It was actually amazing)

spaetzle maker!

always butter your spaetzle between batches

I need that now. What did your marinade consist of?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Onion, carrot, celery, garlic, red wine vinegar, red wine, water, juniper berries, cloves, bay leaves.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Made some stuffed shells with vodka sauce.

I burned the garlic in the stuffing.

It's a shame because the vodka sauce was excellent but the dish as a whole just tasted like burned garlic. :doh:

My father loved it. Apparently he doesn't mind burned garlic.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Was going to make Pad Thai tonight but I forgot to grab bean sprouts on the ride home from work.

Had some butternut squash ravioli in the freezer so I just whipped together a little sage and fig sauce to throw on top of it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Made Katsu Tuesday night.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bad photo, amazing food.

36h sous vide pork ribs with miso-garlic-lime blistered green beans. The ribs were incredible, but the beans are about to become something I make at least twice a loving week holy poo poo.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 21, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Whalley posted:

Bad photo, amazing food.

36h sous vide ribs with miso-garlic-lime blistered green beans. The ribs were incredible, but the beans are about to become something I make at least twice a loving week holy poo poo.

Ok that looks great so you have to post a recipe for the beans please.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

That Works posted:

Ok that looks great so you have to post a recipe for the beans please.

They're so loving easy.

3 tablespoons white miso paste
3 cloves garlic, either minced or grated if you can find your microplane which I couldn't
2.5 tablespoons lime juice (which was what I got outta 1.5 limes, but next time I'm gunna drop down to 2 tablespoons)
A bit over 1 tablespoon honey

Whisk that together in a bowl, leave sit.

Blister a pound of green beans in a bit of neutral oil for 10 minutes, then once done, turn off the heat and pour the miso sauce straight into the pan, along with a pinch of red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper. Toss to combine, then cut up about a third of a cup of cilantro or however much you wind up grabbing when you go to tear "some" cilantro out of the bunch, and toss that through.

They're far too delicious for the amount of effort it takes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Whalley posted:

They're so loving easy.

3 cloves garlic, either minced or grated if you can find your microplane which I couldn't
2.5 tablespoons lime juice (which was what I got outta 1.5 limes, but next time I'm gunna drop down to 2 tablespoons)

Blister a pound of green beans in a bit of neutral oil for 10 minutes, then once done, turn off the heat and pour the miso sauce straight into the pan, along with a pinch of red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper. Toss to combine, then cut up about a third of a cup of cilantro or however much you wind up grabbing when you go to tear "some" cilantro out of the bunch, and toss that through.

Awesome thanks. I have a few roast green bean variations I have tried but not one with miso yet. We are about to start getting a lot of long pole beans from the garden which will work great for this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Whalley posted:

They're so loving easy.

Yes, thank you for this. I have a similar recipe that I came up with to try and imitate the green beans and ground pork dish that they sell at the deli counter at Kam Man, I'm going to adjust it now.

Frying the beans right is the important part.