Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"design critics" are the worst because they spend all their time going to conferences and talking about design instead of y'know designing stuff and the more successful you are as a pundit the further you are from any kind of actual design

jakob nielsen never designed anything in his life, he just learned a set of hci heuristics in the 80s and wrote 1000 articles applying them to websites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sounds like an expert to me

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

it’s me the guy zooming into vector graphics to find knowledge signaling opportunities about ink traps

sprung

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

qirex posted:

"design critics" are the worst because they spend all their time going to conferences and talking about design instead of y'know designing stuff and the more successful you are as a pundit the further you are from any kind of actual design

jakob nielsen never designed anything in his life, he just learned a set of hci heuristics in the 80s and wrote 1000 articles applying them to websites

roger ebert never directed a movie, he must be a hack

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

how is this different from any critic of anything ever

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it'd be like a film critic doing a frame-by-frame analysis of a film in order to point out matte lines around a character in a green screen shot

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AWWNAW posted:

it’s me the guy zooming into vector graphics to find knowledge signaling opportunities about ink traps

sprung
thing is there's no way at modern screen resolution ink traps would cause an actual problem and definitely not a "major, major" one, especially since maintaining a separate print version would be a massive pain in the rear end. looking through his site this dude's whole schtick seems to be blowing things up to 1000% and pointing out minor inconsistencies. he apparently is autistic so I'm not going to beat up on the guy but it's funny the people who bubble up as "experts"

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

roger ebert had a phd in film

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i think apple arcade is gonna be super attractive to parents. its gaming without:

- risk of the kid buying iap
- bullshit grind and loot box mechanics to push iap
- voice chat online matches with teenagers saying the vilest poo poo
- probably even violent games
- privacy worries

and all this on devices with the strongest parental controls around.

(nintendo has a very similar value proposition)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

and all this on devices with the strongest parental controls around.

(nintendo has a very similar value proposition)
counterpoint: no fortnite, no minecraft/roblox ergo no kids will care

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

infernal machines posted:

remember when you said xbox one was the last xbox?

good stuff pk

honked again

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nintendos refusal to go ~social~ really is a stone cold long term play that i hope works out for them, i respect apple for the same, but they are indeed in a position where it isn't much hardship.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
apple buying nintendo is my #1 fav fan fiction merger

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fortnite is already on ios and maybe tvos?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

poty posted:

apple buying nintendo is my #1 fav fan fiction merger

imagine the click in controllers on the switch, but, instead are on ugly dongles that can barely stay in the port and have cables 3 inches long

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nintendo would have to be in very bad shape to accept a buyout from a US company

e: even if they were in serious trouble, i doubt they would

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Nintendo should buy Apple. :smuggo:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

fortnite is already on ios and maybe tvos?

yeah but it has loot boxes and won't be in apple arcade

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

WilWheaton posted:

imagine the click in controllers on the switch, but, instead are on ugly dongles that can barely stay in the port and have cables 3 inches long

butterfly switches on the controllers

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

qirex posted:

roger ebert had a phd in film

jakob nielsen has a phd in hci :v:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is gen ed “genital education”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

jakob nielsen has a phd in hci :v:
yeah but hci is not design, in fact many hci programs go out of their way to avoid any whiff of actual design in their programs

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Ruffian Price posted:

Nintendo should buy Apple. :smuggo:

now your talkin

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Last Chance posted:

nintendo would have to be in very bad shape to accept a buyout from a US company

e: even if they were in serious trouble, i doubt they would

The Japanese government would bail out Nintendo before they let an American company buy them out.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nintendo is worth 40-50bn right? apple has 225bn in the bank rn lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

The Japanese government would bail out Nintendo before they let an American company buy them out.

ya

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

qirex posted:

he also had a JAVA pinky ring, which I don’t see you sporting.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

he also had a JAVA pinky ring, which I don’t see you sporting.
one of my friends hooked one of those readers up to his computer so it could only be unlocked using his fancy java ring then the reader broke and he had to pay like 100 bucks for one off ebay

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I downloaded a bunch of archived USENET files from 1981 I was interested in looking at, the only problem is that I can't open the files as they seem to be ".101" and increase (.102, .103 etc.).

I looked it up and apparently I need the Apple II operating system to open them? wtf?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
are they actually binaries?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex posted:

one of my friends hooked one of those readers up to his computer so it could only be unlocked using his fancy java ring then the reader broke and he had to pay like 100 bucks for one off ebay

lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

(roger ebert did co-write a movie though)
(gene siskel rated it 0/4 stars and dunked on its writing super hard lol)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BobHoward posted:

(roger ebert did co-write a movie though)
(gene siskel rated it 0/4 stars and dunked on its writing super hard lol)

it is a truly bad movie with a surprise transphobic ending to boot.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

are they actually binaries?

yes every file is utzoo.101 + 1. So utzoo.101, utzoo.102 and so on.

It looks like these files were taken off of some sort of magnetic tape and put on the internet in 1996.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Pulcinella posted:

Eli sometimes has interesting takes about design, but he is also a very, very reactionary centrist.

I looked through his feed and went “okay, I can see where he’s coming from” and then it got into politics and :yikes:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Chuka Umana posted:

yes every file is utzoo.101 + 1. So utzoo.101, utzoo.102 and so on.

It looks like these files were taken off of some sort of magnetic tape and put on the internet in 1996.

did you read this yet

https://www.joe0.com/2019/02/17/converting-utzoo-usenet-archive-from-tgz-to-mysql-database-java-code/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, so they're not binaries, they're plaintext files for each post

e: or you're looking at the tarballed archives, in which case you can dump the contents, which are plaintext

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 11, 2019

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

qirex posted:

yeah but hci is not design, in fact many hci programs go out of their way to avoid any whiff of actual design in their programs

its been a while since I've been in a DTDT debate!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

remember when you said xbox one was the last xbox?

good stuff pk

from the Verge

quote:

The head of Xbox just unveiled a new console, but Phil Spencer isn’t too worried about selling you one. “I don’t need to sell any specific version of the console in order for us to reach our business goals,” the told me in an interview yesterday, the day after Microsoft held its annual E3 keynote.

There’s plenty going on with Xbox and gaming at Microsoft. In addition to a big lineup of games, at E3, Microsoft officially unveiled Project Scarlett, its next-generation console that launches next year, and provided a bit of detail on its xCloud streaming service, which will debut in October. Just ahead of the show, the company also brought its Game Pass subscription to PC, furthering its foray into services.

they don't even sound enthusiastic about selling the console. but you're right, they are now talking about AMD, CPUs, SSDs, etc, so there's less doubt in my mind that there will be a traditional console successor to Xbox One. prior to this, they were talking about servers, xCloud and Game Pass when talking about the future of Xbox.

But look at the Project Scarlett reveal. It literally opens like this:

quote:

When we think about gaming, it's not just consoles, it's not just mobile, it's really all of the above.

Xbox is all about choice. [...]

The games you want, with the people that you want on the devices that you want.

does it really sound like they care about making a console or making some kind of cross-platform streaming service?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Microsoft has been trying to make the Xbox more than just game console since the original Xbox. The only reason they made the Xbox in the first place was because they were afraid Sony was going to take over the living room and from there the PC.

Then it turned out that it was smart phones that are killing most of the PC market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Pulcinella posted:

Then it turned out that it was smart phones that are killing most of the PC market.

this is a pretty good own

what happened to sony's television department anyway. pretty much my whole childhood sony tvs were the defacto standard