Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

this is a pretty good own

what happened to sony's television department anyway. pretty much my whole childhood sony tvs were the defacto standard

they succumbed to market desire for the absolute largest and cheapest TV possible

they are horrible garbage just like all other modern tvs and dont differentiate themselves in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

what happened to sony's television department anyway. pretty much my whole childhood sony tvs were the defacto standard

they made some non lcd flat panel bets that burned them

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

it still exists and they make very good ones?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
got a 50 inch tcl shitbox for like $350 or some poo poo and it kicks rear end

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pulcinella posted:

Microsoft has been trying to make the Xbox more than just game console since the original Xbox. The only reason they made the Xbox in the first place was because they were afraid Sony was going to take over the living room and from there the PC.

Then it turned out that it was smart phones that are killing most of the PC market.

Yep. Everyone was obsessed with taking over "the living room" in the early 00s, then it turns out the living room is kinda boring.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

it still exists and they make very good ones?

ever since crts faded into obscurity they went from being the best to being another manufacturer slapping their logo on other companies' panels

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

LanceHunter posted:

Yep. Everyone was obsessed with taking over "the living room" in the early 00s, then it turns out the living room is kinda boring.

but it’s where I do my best masturbatin’

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LanceHunter posted:

I think it's more that it became trivial to wedge connectivity into literally every device you already had in your living room so there was no reason to buy into microsofts ecosystem unless you wanted to play halo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

I think it's more that it became trivial to wedge connectivity into literally every device you already had in your living room so there was no reason to buy into microsofts ecosystem unless you wanted to play halo

and thats how we got cortana on the desktop

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

PleasureKevin posted:

does it really sound like they care about making a console or making some kind of cross-platform streaming service?

both and more. they want you to give them money in as many ways as loving possible.

pay them for a console
pay them for console accessories
pay them for xbox live
pay them for third party games
pay them for first party games
pay them for game streaming
pay them by watching ads on their platform
pay them for microtransactions

do as many of these things as frequently as humanly possible.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

sup, smythe?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Granite Octopus posted:

they succumbed to market desire for the absolute largest and cheapest TV possible

they are horrible garbage just like all other modern tvs and dont differentiate themselves in any way

sony still makes some of the best TVs on the market. they also make trash. perhaps unsurprisingly the good TVs cost ten times as much as the trash

the middle section of the market is just gone

you have tvs that cost $3,000 and tvs that cost $300 and not much in between

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sony was really good at CRT. I think it was the Trinitron or whatever. once LCDs became a thing, they were at the same level as everyone else. CRT patents couldn't help them make better LCDs.

I still think I want a Sony TV that supports Playstation Now. I mean, I prefer dumb TVs, but does Apple TV have Playstation Now yet? pretty sure no.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sony went all in on plasmas didn’t they?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

I have a Sony tv

it takes it one minute after boot before I can change input

the menu has so much eye candy it can't get a constant FPS

let me tell you about my Sony tv

it is a piece of poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you bought a bad one OP, next time buy a good one instead

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

Sony was really good at CRT. I think it was the Trinitron or whatever. once LCDs became a thing, they were at the same level as everyone else. CRT patents couldn't help them make better LCDs.

I still think I want a Sony TV that supports Playstation Now. I mean, I prefer dumb TVs, but does Apple TV have Playstation Now yet? pretty sure no.

sony makes the best LCDs available, bar none, but they cost a fortune, and always have

sony only uses the best technology in the most expensive panels, holding onto margins from the 1980s

hobbesmaster posted:

Sony went all in on plasmas didn’t they?

sony dabbled in plasma

panasonic went all-in, and it killed their tv business

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
panasonic plasma was real good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sony 900 series lcds have the second best picture quality after lg oleds [and sony oleds which are just oem lg panels] and I can go months without having to look at anroid tv but no poors I guess since one might cost a thousand whole dollars *gasp*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

sony 900 series lcds have the second best picture quality after lg oleds [and sony oleds which are just oem lg panels] and I can go months without having to look at anroid tv but no poors I guess since one might cost a thousand whole dollars *gasp*

the "900 series" varies from the best picture quality available at any price, rivaling OLED for black level while delivering 10x the brightness, down to panels I wouldn't foist on a prison cell

it's a weird and lovely world in television sets

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sony makes the best LCDs available, bar none, but they cost a fortune, and always have

maybe so, but was it always that way? I think I remember reading they held on to CRT land too long because they were the top dog there. in any case, whenever there's a big change in technology many companies lag behind, unless you're really forward thinking and leading that change. like say Apple, in many cases. but I think I read that was not the case with Sony during the CRT to Plasma/LCD transition, they lost the lead there iirc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PleasureKevin posted:

whenever there's a big change in technology many companies lag behind, unless you're really forward thinking and leading that change. like say Apple, in many cases.

lm-ao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the "900 series" varies from the best picture quality available at any price, rivaling OLED for black level while delivering 10x the brightness, down to panels I wouldn't foist on a prison cell

it's a weird and lovely world in television sets
the 900f and 950g are both fald, are you talking about the 930/940? because those are like 3 years old now

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

maybe so, but was it always that way? I think I remember reading they held on to CRT land too long because they were the top dog there. in any case, whenever there's a big change in technology many companies lag behind, unless you're really forward thinking and leading that change. like say Apple, in many cases. but I think I read that was not the case with Sony during the CRT to Plasma/LCD transition, they lost the lead there iirc.

sony was never a leader in plasma, but they were there

they were always at the forefont of lcd stuff, because duh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

the 900f and 950g are both fald, are you talking about the 930/940? because those are like 3 years old now

welp model lines change

oops

the 900f of course is already quite expensive

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PleasureKevin posted:

Sony was really good at CRT

that's because they bet the farm on it, and then lost it all to sarnsung

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
sony put a lot of people out of work in an already depressed community too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

$900 for a tv that's better than one that cost like 4 grand a few years ago doesn't strike me as exorbitant I mean it's less than a single monitor stand from other vendors

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PleasureKevin posted:

Sony made their own CRTs, and they made them better than anyone else. the technology to make LCDs is very different and they were late to the game and never had a chance to catch up with the others, leaving them unable to make large format panels when the rest of the market was switching over. so they had to source panels from other makers and lost their ability to differentiate. they could also never catch up because the market was rapidly commoditizing and they just didn’t have the money to invest in growing their own technology.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

sony still had a few firsts in the post-crt world, albeit more as gimmicks than anything actually meant to sell. they had a display with an array of local dimming leds back in 2004 that cost $10k, they had the first edge lit lcd back in 2008, which was $3k when similarly sized displays were dropping below $1000, and they can brag about shipping the first commercial oled display, which was an 11" 960x540 display that cost $2500

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
This poo poo makes me miss degaussing my lovely old packard bell monitor, such a satisfying bit of computer janitoring

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Smythe posted:

same op

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

sup, smythe?

Greetings my friend

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i still think about your werthog 95 dunks sometimes and smile (i am smiling now)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Management posted:

Sony made their own CRTs, and they made them better than anyone else.

wasnt mitsu's diamondtron superior to trinitron in that it had no/reduced damper wire lines? iirc that's what apple used in the crt studio displays too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I used trinitrons for years and the shadow mask line was like “huh it’s there” once a month or so when I was really squinting at something. I can see steve getting mad about it but everything else about sony monitors was the best available in the 90s

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

qirex posted:

I used trinitrons for years and the shadow mask line was like “huh it’s there” once a month or so when I was really squinting at something. I can see steve getting mad about it but everything else about sony monitors was the best available in the 90s

yeah i had and loved my sony gpd400 19" trinitrons, but i remember being jealous of my friend's diamondtron. no wires and i seem to remember it had a slightly higher resolution or refresh rate, and of course was also a perfect flat geometry so whats not to like

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

I had a 30" trinitron I fished out of a dumpster when I was a teen and it was so heavy it caused a several degree bow in my lovely particle board Walmart desk.

I lived with so much jank to have my own computer since I could only afford to build poo poo out of parts I fished out of the garbage when businesses did their refreshes.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

panasonic plasma was real good

I you loved color dithering and burn-in, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

the ps2 totally did take it over, so did the ps3 actually- we used ours for games and blu rays (dvds with ps2)

microsoft seeing this as a space where a computer can work (lol media centre pcs*) or a space that would somehow subsume the desktop, is rather asinine

*I realize this can be an actual use case but it will always be niche