Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

How dare you guys mock the main character for making a dark pact with Cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao that escalated quickly

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Wait, I also like reptiles. Are the reptile pet shop mangas any good?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's one which, if I don't misremember, is called "Between Smooth and Rough" and one of the kids works in his parents reptile shop, even though he's not all that fond of reptiles himself.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Okay what is that from, I need to know the context

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wark Say posted:

There's one which, if I don't misremember, is called "Between Smooth and Rough" and one of the kids works in his parents reptile shop, even though he's not all that fond of reptiles himself.

Yeah that one's pretty good!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cuntellectual posted:

Okay what is that from, I need to know the context

The context is exactly what it sounds like. Reptile shop employee meets a girl, falls in love, then finds out she’s an elementary schooler. It’s real creepy.

https://mangadex.org/title/23993/madonna-ga-glass-case-no-naka

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RatHat posted:

The context is exactly what it sounds like. Reptile shop employee meets a girl, falls in love, then finds out she’s an elementary schooler. It’s real creepy.

pretend I pasted that entire comments section in here because jesus

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RatHat posted:

jesus christ

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

RatHat posted:

:chloe:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
whew boy sure glad y'all dug that up for everyone to gawk at :chloe:

e: for some wholesome content

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RatHat posted:

So it turns out the wacky comment is just describing the actual context then. :staredog:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
But which cute manga do they want to crossover with kyuu-chan?! The suspense is killing me.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this is a comment on a manga reader site

https://mangadex.org/thread/92399

mangadex gonna try doing a crunchyroll

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Oh well

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Relin posted:

this is a comment on a manga reader site

https://mangadex.org/thread/92399

mangadex gonna try doing a crunchyroll

All I’m getting from this is scanlators are entitled brats about the series they’re pirating.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Nothing much will really change, i'll jsut keep doing what i've done before: read all mangas that are on mangadex on mangadex, and (begrudgingly) read all mangas that aren't on mangadex on kissmanga.

Lol, just lol at the thought of going to individual scanlators's sites for anything. When i saw that magical message of "chapter unlocks in 9 days" on mangadex via that hostage timer that some scan groups used, my first and only thought was always "well, see you in 9 days then"

The only thing that suffers is discoverability, since mangadex (and this forum) are the best things for that, and the only thing that wins is kissmanga

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I tried going to a scanlator site recently and every single click brought up an ad.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RatHat posted:

All I’m getting from this is scanlators are entitled brats about the series they’re pirating.

tbf they totally do deserve recognition for the work they do, but some just drive off a cliff into crazytown

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

Are you not getting the part where the aggregator is already rubbing his hands in glee about their "huge catalogue" and how they'll convince companies that they might as well ally with the hosts of said pirated content? Are you sure that it's the scanlators doing the pirating, my dude?

I probably wouldn't stick around either if the guy I'm working with is already planning on how to turn my work into a cashcow.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i stopped using km because of the "maintenance" blank page they constantly serve people running adblock. unless they cut that poo poo out? or you don't use adblocking.......

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Relin posted:

i stopped using km because of the "maintenance" blank page they constantly serve people running adblock. unless they cut that poo poo out? or you don't use adblocking.......

We've Noticed You're Using Adblock

yes there was a reason for that thank you

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here:
https://greasyfork.org/de/scripts/4900-kissanime-anti-adblock-blocker

prevents you from being ip-blocked or whatever nonsense they're doing, but if you're already getting the maintenance page, you need to wait it out first

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

batteries! posted:

Are you not getting the part where the aggregator is already rubbing his hands in glee about their "huge catalogue" and how they'll convince companies that they might as well ally with the hosts of said pirated content? Are you sure that it's the scanlators doing the pirating, my dude?

I probably wouldn't stick around either if the guy I'm working with is already planning on how to turn my work into a cashcow.

They just want to go Crunchyroll and said they'd hire scanslators. Frankly it seems like a win-win?

There's also the irony that every one of the groups pulling out has their own Patreon + a bunch of ads on their websites. This isn't a conflict of morals, it's a conflict of two pirates both trying to rip each other off.

Edit: For the record, I am in fact a scanslator who posts things to Mangadex and these groups really don't get my sympathy at all. The point of Mangadex is to centralize scanslations and make it easier to publish. That's it, as far as I'm concerned.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

you don't Scanlate With Honor

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The "going legit" thing has been a distant dream since day 1 of mangadex, so nothing new here. It's still a distant dream.
It's the thing fueling their motivation to improve the site (and drat, it's p. great, even on batoto i still needed a webcomic reader plugin to get the customization and comfort i wanted, but on mangadex it's all built-in), but still way outside the current scope of the website. So going the crunchyroll way is still hella off.

So yeah the motivation for people to pull their stuff from mangadex is probably the number 1 search result on google for "[scanlation team] patreon"

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I'm glad the few things I read now are either easy enough to pay for or can be read for free from an official source online

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

lil baby anime posted:

I'm glad the few things I read now are either easy enough to pay for or can be read for free from an official source online

Mangaplus has been an absolute wonder for me and I love that being stuck in a third-world country isn't an impedement for legally reading what I like for free now.

It doesn't have everything I'm reading but it has an important amount including the big series, so I'm very happy with it!

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

the endstate of every single one of these sorts of sites is legit (Crunchyroll), eternal legal trouble (Pirate Bay), blatant criminal activity (Kissmanga), or dead. honestly, I don't see how the admins planning for the option that doesn't involve massive lawsuits is supposed to make me trust them less.

(yeah, the answer is the scanlators are all individually convinced they can be Kissmanga Jr., but shhh.)

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
I like the mangadex staff making GBS threads on the teams for having a patreon and being backed up by people talking about shekels and (((teams)))

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

This doesn't look like something anyone should care about..?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well, it's stupid drama that results in a less centralized and safe place to read manga, which does absolutely suck. it's not explicitly a "manga reader site comment", but I'm sure someone could dig out an actual comment that breaks the situation down if you need it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t understand being angry that a site wants to go legit eventually. How was Crunchyroll and Fakku going legit bad? Online pirates can be such babies

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There will still need to be somewhere that's willing to host unlicensed manga. It is frustrating that the current site doing that is looking to pivot to an unrelated service.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t understand being angry that a site wants to go legit eventually. How was Crunchyroll and Fakku going legit bad? Online pirates can be such babies

Shut up bitch.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The admins made it pretty clear that that is an unlikely pipe dream. It’s not like they’re going to go legit anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I was gonna make an effortpost to try and elaborate on the one good point the scanlators are making, but I don't think it would convince anyone who wasn't already on their side, but basically:

thetoughestbean posted:

The admins made it pretty clear that that is an unlikely pipe dream. It's not like they're going to go legit anytime soon

That's not a problem for YOU, the manga reader, but it is a problem for THEM, the amateur translators. It is highly unlikely that any given group uploading content to mangadex would make the cut when/if they go legit, and any group that DOESN'T make the cut gets hosed, they have to find yet another site like batoto/mangadex to upload to. So if they're going to have to do it anyway, why not now, when Mangadex has clearly signaled their intent?

At the end of the day, the people adding the content that mangadex is flourishing with are doing it for free, and Mangadex want to use their free labor to strike it rich, leaving the amateur translators in the ditch.