Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

I feel like you could easily stumble across Landis stories on Twitter, and that's thoroughly depressing.

This has been building for a while and it was clear to the public he was not a cool dude years ago (2017 at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LividLiquid posted:

Boy, those Red Letter Media fellas sure know how to pick their friends.

Their by far most famous video has a poo poo ton of jokes about kidnapping hookers, maybe they don't have the best attitude towards women?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Their by far most famous video has a poo poo ton of jokes about kidnapping hookers, maybe they don't have the best attitude towards women?
They have never written a single thing with a woman in it whose job wasn't "sex worker."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

peer posted:

also that he wrote Bright

Can we avoid jokes that equate to "His real crime was making a bad movie! :smug:" in this of all threads? Like I get that you don't care about his victims but keep your lovely opinions to yourself.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Skwirl posted:

They cut ties with him when this information became public including reshooting unreleased content to remove him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bar Crow posted:

They cut ties with him when this information became public including reshooting unreleased content to remove him.

Ehh, all this poo poo was practically an open secret already, so they don't get any credit. It's good these women are coming out with their stories, but most of them harrassed then blocked Lexi Alexander on Twitter for calling Max Landis a misogynistic piece of shir years ago.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t think I heard about the Landis stuff before he was on RLM.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

sponges posted:

Yeah, his video with them was well before I had personally heard any of the rumblings about him being an abusive prick. And they've done nothing with him since and (as already posted) went out of their way to scrap planned content that was going to feature him again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

sponges posted:

Then you were lucky, he's been creepy forever.
2 years ago ago
Bright screenwriter accused of sexual assault.

4 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmbUEYYMZG4

There's a loving weird as hell interview with him from even earlier where he basically admits to all of the behavior he's been accused of but I can't find it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

LividLiquid posted:

Boy, those Red Letter Media fellas sure know how to pick their friends.

*slide whistle in minor key*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Then you were lucky, he's been creepy forever.
2 years ago ago
Bright screenwriter accused of sexual assault.

4 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmbUEYYMZG4

There's a loving weird as hell interview with him from even earlier where he basically admits to all of the behavior he's been accused of but I can't find it.

Jezebel iirc

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You can kinda dance around RLM being lovely just by association, but their Captain Marvel review is all them

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You never really got the impression that they were actually that friendly with Max Landis. They were still perfectly willing to poo poo on him even before he got outed as a sex pervert and while he was producing content with them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You never really got the impression that they were actually that friendly with Max Landis. They were still perfectly willing to poo poo on him even before he got outed as a sex pervert and while he was producing content with them.

I always got the impression Max Landis was the one who reached out to them to be in a couple videos and they went 'sure ok' then proceeded to make fun of him for most of the content.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I swear to god it seems every year I hear about Max Landis but it took until now for a whole fuckton of people to really pour it on

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, all this poo poo was practically an open secret already, so they don't get any credit. It's good these women are coming out with their stories, but most of them harrassed then blocked Lexi Alexander on Twitter for calling Max Landis a misogynistic piece of shir years ago.

Lexi Alexander loving owns, I didnt know people tried to hush her up about this. I still recall Lexi doing a Spartacus thing to protect the true writers of a "bad people in Hollywood" list so she still has more guts than most.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1138795164401639424

The situation is not so simple!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You can kinda dance around RLM being lovely just by association, but their Captain Marvel review is all them

I'm rewatching it now, you mean the one where as soon as the review starts they make fun of misogynist incel chuds making GBS threads on the movie before it was even out? What point were you making, exactly?

Was it that they said it was "bland"? Whatta scoop!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 13, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

King Vidiot posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1138795164401639424

The situation is not so simple!

I'm rewatching it now, you mean the one where as soon as the review starts they make fun of misogynist incel chuds making GBS threads on the movie before it was even out? What point were you making, exactly?

Was it that they said it was "bland"? Whatta scoop!

Probably the part where they dunk on Brie Larson for being incredibly standoffish and seeming like not a fun person to be around.

Which is 100% how she came off to me during the promo run for that movie and Endgame.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

esperterra posted:

Probably the part where they dunk on Brie Larson for being incredibly standoffish and seeming like not a fun person to be around.

Which is 100% how she came off to me during the promo run for that movie and Endgame.

But they were right, she was. I mean Jay says that a more diverse range of voices in media criticism is a good thing, but the way Brie Larson was promoting the movie was obnoxious. I say that that's totally fair :shrug:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

King Vidiot posted:

But they were right, she was. I mean Jay says that a more diverse range of voices in media criticism is a good thing, but the way Brie Larson was promoting the movie was obnoxious. I say that that's totally fair :shrug:

Yeah, agreed. tbh Larson seemed like she wanted to be anywhere else but promoting her role in either movie.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've tried to watch those guys reviews before and I don't get the draw, the reviews are like 45 minutes long, you really need half the run time of the movie to tell me if it's good or not? No thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

esperterra posted:

Yeah, agreed. tbh Larson seemed like she wanted to be anywhere else but promoting her role in either movie.

This I honestly don't get TBH. Like even if she did what does it matter? There are tons of actors who act that way, including Marvel/Disney actors. Harrison Ford is famous for not giving a poo poo in promoting his films.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean, her performance was awful, too. Not wanting to promote a movie is fine but she gave me real Jennifer Lawrence clearly wishing she wasn't in X-Men teas while watching it. It's only an issue if the actor seems disdainful for what they made overall.

Promoting movies seems like it blows and some people are better at pretending they want to be there than others.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

esperterra posted:

I mean, her performance was awful, too. Not wanting to promote a movie is fine but she gave me real Jennifer Lawrence clearly wishing she wasn't in X-Men teas while watching it. It's only an issue if the actor seems disdainful for what they made overall.

Promoting movies seems like it blows and some people are better at pretending they want to be there than others.

I thought her performance was fine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

Larson was very clear that she was utterly confused by the character she was supposed to play, because she shot Endgame before she did Captain Marvel, yet apparently Endgame basically has her established with almost no exposition, so she was clueless and begging for help from the Russos and the writers of Captain Marvel.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

Larson was very clear that she was utterly confused by the character she was supposed to play, because she shot Endgame before she did Captain Marvel, yet apparently Endgame basically has her established with almost no exposition, so she was clueless and begging for help from the Russos and the writers of Captain Marvel.

I've no doubt that whole situation was a hot mess (they do that a lot, iirc Gwyneth Paltrow had no idea she was even in Spider-Man: Homeoming), and I think the script was rather weak as well. But Larson is imo and incredibly talented actress and I expected her to be able to lift it more, I guess? :shrug: to me it just felt like she wasn't very into being a superhero.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

All the scenes with Larson and Sam Jackson were great, she has no sceenes with him in endgame so she's not as good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I mean, Endgame she's trying to keep peace, investigate what happened, keeps things stable on numerous planets, so it makes sense that she isn't as jovially as she is in Capt. Marvel.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

esperterra posted:

Brie has stated that she's an introvert, which explains why such activity would be a pain in the rear end for her.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Timby posted:

Endgame seems like it was at times like, literally a counter-productive working environment for an actor. Just last week it was revealed that a lot of the crew thought the funeral at the end was a wedding during filming, and I'm almost certain Tom Holland made a comment a couple of months ago about how the Russo's wouldn't even tell him what he was fighting as he bopped around in front of a green screen. Like what are you even supposed to hold onto for a performance in a situation like that?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tart Kitty posted:

Endgame seems like it was at times like, literally a counter-productive working environment for an actor. Just last week it was revealed that a lot of the crew thought the funeral at the end was a wedding during filming, and I'm almost certain Tom Holland made a comment a couple of months ago about how the Russo's wouldn't even tell him what he was fighting as he bopped around in front of a green screen. Like what are you even supposed to hold onto for a performance in a situation like that?

Why don't they just try acting?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Leeets not get sidetracked here

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Edit: Max landis sucks rear end

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Holy poo poo, the guy who publically stalked a woman director, begging her to have a conversation with him is a giant loving creep?

It's another good example of how good we are as a culture at ignoring red flags.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Tart Kitty posted:

Well it wasn't that counter-productive because Endgame is incredible

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've always thought it was weird that stalking anyone famous is apparently totally fine and not problematic in the slightest because of some paper thin bullshit about them "thrusting themselves into the public eye"(rights for public figures), whatever the gently caress that means. Like because their job is to act on television that some how logically translates to gently caress their privacy and rights to not be constantly followed around and harassed by weirdos. Makes perfect sense.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's an interview with Larson around CAPTAIN MARVEL where she's asked about diversity I think, and she answers that she's proud to be "part of the normalisation of this type of content" and it felt like the most buzzwordy nonsense. It's not even human speech, it feels like it's generated by an algorithm somewhere.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tart Kitty posted:

Wasn't Tom Holland making a joke about how he tends to blab spoilers during interviews? But yeah, that wedding/funeral confusion sounds dumb. I imagine it was an insanely strained production, to the point where the directors don't have time for the actors anymore.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Edit: Max landis sucks rear end

A fine point, and one I think we can all agree on.

As for Brie Larson, I guess in her defense all that stuff she said during the Captain Marvel promotion could've been talking points the studio put her up to saying. It wouldn't really surprise me. I'm really more annoyed at Woke Capitalism than I am at Brie Larson.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

davidspackage posted:

Wasn't Tom Holland making a joke about how he tends to blab spoilers during interviews? But yeah, that wedding/funeral confusion sounds dumb. I imagine it was an insanely strained production, to the point where the directors don't have time for the actors anymore.

They also shot both films back to back, which meant a very stressful production for everyone involved. You know those red and white suits they have to wear at one point? Those were fully CGI. They filmed the scene before they had even decided on a design, so they just wore the costumes they'd be changing back into and had perfectly photorealistic suits digitally applied over them.

Also goes to show just how much money and manpower the studio is willing to throw at the movies that they can use "Just replace everything with CGI so perfect that you can't tell it's fake" as a solution to not having costumes ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

More Max Landis being a poo poo.

https://twitter.com/ashleylynch/status/1138716391052271616?s=19