Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the buff applies to anyone, but Ventrue have a more specific restriction about who they're even allowed to drink from.

So like, as any other clan, you CAN be selective if you're aiming for some specific thing. Ventrue HAVE to be.

How does this work if some medieval Ventrue can only drink from, I dunno, Cathars and whoops guess the religion went extinct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like you're hosed, m'lord.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Ventrue feeding restrictions can change if they're non-sustainable, though it generally requires the Ventrue in question to go into torpor. You could, alternatively, feed off vampires since that bypasses the restriction, which is a whole different level of risky behavior.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

DeathChicken posted:

I mean Bloodlines wasn't even playable until a bit after the fact when the community got ahold of it

It was definitely beatable, but holy poo poo the amount of bugs and getting stuck in geometry was ridiculous. The sewers and the hollywood nosferatu warrens still give me tiny bits of ptsd

Morol
May 21, 2007

The full gameplay demo looks like a polished version of a vertical slice.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think some of the clunkiness of the combat could be chalked up to the player being bad but stuff like the backflip dodge not lining up right several times isn't really on them. The thing that bugged me was actually how lifeless the characters were in conversation. The first game was the opposite with how expressive the people were, sometimes cartoonishly so, but it always stuck with me as something I really liked about it. Like here you go back to the lady and tell her you killed the guy without getting what she asked for so her tone of voice changes and she's annoyed but her face remains still the whole time.

Stuff I liked - the lighting looked really good, the dancing animation was straight from 2004, and the vampire powered traversal was neat and seems like it could add a lot of options to how you approach situations. Although I wonder if plopping down uninjured from the roof of a building would violate the masquerade if somebody sees you doing it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Although I wonder if plopping down uninjured from the roof of a building would violate the masquerade if somebody sees you doing it?

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
I thought E.Y.E. was great, so I have a high tolerance for jank. Looking forward to this.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Probably wanted to just show cool poo poo you could do (which, uh), also it looks like almost every time they landed they entered a new “blind spot”, which I assume means a place on the open map where you don’t get dinged.

More to the point, punishing players for basic movement is going to become a point of contention. Why have parkour if you’re not going to use it

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Vlex posted:

How does this work if some medieval Ventrue can only drink from, I dunno, Cathars and whoops guess the religion went extinct?

Like PantsOptional said that can change - one of the examples given in the revised clanbook is of a Ventrue warlord that took his directive to kill the gently caress out of a city-state too seriously and realized too late that he had also developed a taste for the people living there. He went in to torpor and woke up several centuries later able to eat the community that grew up from the ruins.

You could also hack the Beckoming and just never stop being on the edge of frenzying when you feed to avoid developing the restriction but the book describes that as something that'll end poorly for everyone involved.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Finally got around to watching the gameplay demo, some observations:
-Pop In issues, especially with lighting, will probably be minimized in the optimization stage.
-Facial Animation: it's obvious they don't have Face-Tech embedded yet, it was there before because Valve sold theirs as a part of the Source package. They can add this any time and then sync Audio animations to mouth/facial expressions.
-Hobos are modeled and walk the same as the first one.
-Model clipping is probably here to stay, however, feeding should look more visceral when they get some face tech in.
-Whoever is playing this has never played an FPS on a controller before.
-Gun systems appear to be incomplete or the game is in 'Story' mode because the player took no damage from SMGs or Shotguns during both fights.
-Vegetation models do not appear to be dynamic, it's hilarious to watch the plants during the Slugg conversation (This could be changed later provided they have the right bones in the model.)
-There's definitely Blood Heal
-Attack Lock is in considering how many times the player looked away from their targets, then immediately snapped into them when attacking.
-Traversal movement seems fine. character has animations based on the distance they're climbing.
-No guitar strum for completing a quest, lame.

I think it's an overreaction to claim that it's bad; the game is not going to have the AAA pedigree of Rockstar, but the bones of the game look pretty solid. If Brian and the writers can bring the charm and zeal to characters and quests like the first one, then this should be a serviceable sequel.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Tetrabor posted:

-Hobos are modeled and walk the same as the first one.

Ahem I think you meant unhoused persons.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
The same gameplay video but not played by a lobotomized potato.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybopB0_4Abk

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That's some pretty weightless melee combat. They gotta fix that.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm not enthused with the first person view. It seems like the developers can't decide between compelling gunplay or decent melee combat and therefore do both poorly. They need to focus on one and stick with it, however it might already be too late if we're only a year out from release.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah I gotta assume thats some placeholder stuff there because that melee combat looks rough

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tarantula posted:

He activates the 'hunter vision' and it doesn't look like he actually used Auspex so maybe all Vamps get that?

One person has kinda green highlighting, the rest are just hearts with no veins. Interesting.

Later there's more people who don't have veins, but the hearts are different colors. Maybe the veins represent how much blood they have?

Ahhh no, you have to kinda focus on each person to reveal their veins and make the color more obvious. Okay.

E: Wait, no, it is probably auspex? Because that person is no thin-blood, they're a Tremere and using Thaumaturgy a lot. So they probably have Auspex too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 13, 2019

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

He activates the 'hunter vision' and it doesn't look like he actually used Auspex so maybe all Vamps get that?

One person has kinda green highlighting, the rest are just hearts with no veins. Interesting.

Later there's more people who don't have veins, but the hearts are different colors. Maybe the veins represent how much blood they have?

Ahhh no, you have to kinda focus on each person to reveal their veins and make the color more obvious. Okay.

I don't know anything about the lore for this series so my guess about the colours is either the persons health, maybe you drink their blood get a small bonus or buff, or they are a vampire in hiding?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tarantula posted:

I don't know anything about the lore for this series so my guess about the colours is either the persons health, maybe you drink their blood get a small bonus or buff, or they are a vampire in hiding?

See our previous discussion about people having moods and getting a bonus for feeding on someone with the right mood, I think that's what the colors represent.

But you're right, kindred should be able to recognize other kindred, so there could be color or markings to let you know they're a vampire too.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Tarantula posted:

The way that it allegedly is supposed to work is that when you feed off of people, they will have a "resonance" depending on their mood that shows up as those colored auras. If you feed off of someone who's angry, for example, you might get a temporary buff to your melee strength or something like that. But feed on them often enough, and you develop a specific taste for it, giving you a more permanent boost related to it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tarantula posted:

This looks better, but definitely still very janky. Also, the more I rewatch this footage, the more I realize the soundscape of this game is just going to be incredibly inferior to the original. The voice acting I actually have no problem with, but the soundtrack feels sort of boring, the UI barely has any sound effects associated with it, and all in all, the game just has a more neutered atmosphere.

Granted, I understand why they want to move away from the early 2000s aesthetic (we're not in the early 2000s anymore), but this just sounds (and to a certain degree looks) a lot more generic than the original game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Isn't sound one of the last things that gets finished in a game?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
At this point there have been posts of the "isn't X the last thing that gets finished in a game" template for everything from animations to VO to lighting to combat to sound design

I guess this will be a very eventful final stage of development

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, there's a lot of work to do, and I'm sure the final product will be better than what's shown here, but I also think it's fair to comment on what's been shown so far.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I agree, the demo looks uninspired and rough, and finishing touches can only fix so much.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Eh, I'm cautiously optimistic.

It looks a bit janky but after just replaying the original a few weeks ago nowhere near as janky as the original. The original was only any good because of its writing, and the alternative solutions to the quest in those two videos show they're giving that at least some consideration.

The level design seems a little promising too--I didn't notice the popup mentioning Pioneer Square and didn't realize that's where it was until I actually recognized the square and the buildings around it. I haven't been there in a lot of years, but I used to walk through there often and it seemed as accurate as you'd ever hope from a game. Though, given the location and what we saw in the demo, I wonder if that's more or less the extent of the map (which I think would make it around the size of the maps in the original) or if there's more to it.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Apparently the journalists weren't playing the game themselves, just instructing dev players on character choices:

the Discord posted:

Hey people, I got some precisions from our team in LA about the setup of the press demo you've seen shared since this morning (full gameplay demo of ~20 min). Those demos are hands-off, it's a Paradox person playing the game, the journalist is making the decisions like choosing the thinblood discipline or dialog options, but not holding the pad (despite some claims I've seen that people actually played the game). I'll ask you to assume all lack of skills or bad melee gameplay is caused by our team on the floor of E3 being super exhausted :smile: On a more serious note, as soon as we have time to do and publish one, we'll have our own clean recording of the demo shared on the official accounts, and we promise it'll be played by someone who's good at punching people while remaining in front of them :wink:

I don't know what technical improvments we can expect in the final product, but I'm a little worried about the dialogue for now. It's all generic questgiver requests, we don't get a good sense of these characters' quirks outside of maybe Slugg.

Art direction looks decent, though I'm hoping each hub has its own emphasized identity and it's not all fog and neons everywhere.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

chaosapiant posted:

This is a bit of an exaggeration, and I'm sure I'm not the only person itt who beat the game shortly after release with no community updates. Granted, it was definitely a lot buggier, but not unplayable.

There was a bug that could crop up, I think at the end of the mid point story arc- (society of leopold, hunters, a small boat???? I'm half remembering) that straight up killed your game and a community fix is what I used to get past that point. And that was like a month after release after i bought the game for five quid out of the literal bargain bin.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

I hate companies that think it's better to push out an unfinished product and patch it later, just push the release date back and release a polished product.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tarantula posted:

I hate companies that think it's better to push out an unfinished product and patch it later, just push the release date back and release a polished product.

Eh, release dates can't be pushed forever, and even games that are perfectly good at release can still benefit from improvements and bugfixes based on community feedback.

That said, I certainly agree that games shouldn't be rushed out of the door in a bad state.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I think some people need to take a step back and reassess. This game is still 9 months away from it's stated release. Some of the critiques I'm seeing are coming off as if this is a gameplay reveal for a game coming out next month or something. I'd take most of the stuff you see in one of these videos with a grain of salt.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Okay, that video looked a bit better, but the conversation animations need a ton of work and the combat still looks uninspiring. Hoping it's all placeholder, otherwise modders have their work cut out for them once again.

Also, that street sign blinking into existence three feet away was weird considering the rest of the environment looked pretty solid. Maybe they have newfound powers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PureRok posted:

I think some people need to take a step back and reassess. This game is still 9 months away from it's stated release. Some of the critiques I'm seeing are coming off as if this is a gameplay reveal for a game coming out next month or something. I'd take most of the stuff you see in one of these videos with a grain of salt.

I just don't think 9 months is very much time at all.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

SplitSoul posted:

Also, that street sign blinking into existence three feet away was weird considering the rest of the environment looked pretty solid. Maybe they have newfound powers.

Malkav works in mysterious ways. Usually through street signs.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah. I really think it's going to get pushed.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

steinrokkan posted:

9 months is super loving short for them to be showing "pre-Alpha" (in this case meaning more than likely the rest of the game just... isn't there yet, and this is a true vertical slice which is still really rough) gameplay footage with a plan to release in under a year. Hell, under 2 years.

I had assumed we'd get a Holiday 2020/Q1 2021 release at the earliest, but trying to say this will be out in under a year? Just the bug testing and QA for a game of this type, with presumably 20ish side quests along with the main plot, would take 3-4 months, minimum. The fact that Hardlight's main previous experience is a continually updated F2P shooter is actually a strike against them because they may not actually understand how much more polish and work needs to go into the game PRIOR to release, because banking on patches and poo poo, especially with a game of this type, is a terrible idea. Paradox also doesn't make shooters, so the usual interplay of the publisher demanding milestones and continually wanting to see current builds may not even be there, particularly since they're notorious for doing the same poo poo of releasing buggy and unfinished games which get patched into greatness two years out.

So yeah... I'm rarely a doomsayer and anyone that's been on the forums in the last 15+ years would know my relationship with Bloodlines in particular, but I'm staying reservedly cautious. I have zero doubt that Paradox will keep working on and supporting the game after release, that's one reassuring thing about both companies which wasn't true the last go around for various reasons, but still... I'm not expecting this to be a gem or be great on release unless they either push things back or get a shitload of extra people. Even in the latter case, a lot of games just need more time to iterate and improve and be tested, no amount of extra help will speed that process up, which is something a lot of studios/publishers have learned the hard way (Anthem most recently springs to mind).

Still gonna open palm slam pre-order this poo poo with all the bells and whistles because gently caress, it's Bloodlines! But yeah...

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 13, 2019

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It does look a lot better with someone competent at the controls, but yeah, I still suspect it'll be delayed 6 months or so.

Skip to the combat bit.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 13, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Considering they want to add clans in it probably isn't unfair to say a lot of this game's jank will be smoothed over after release. How janky it is between now and release is up in the air.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The only thing that ultimately matters is how jank it is the week prior to release/release day since that's when reviews come out and players will take their first dive in. If it's a mess, it will be dragged over the coals and get a rep, and breaking a rep is really hard in this industry. Not impossible, but not an easy feat by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

steinrokkan posted:

I'd agree, but things can come together. I hope it comes out Q1 next year and works, but if it gets pushed that's just more time to finish Cyberpunk.