Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Just had dinner with a friend who was very excited about having an extra $36k in his labor budget because he got rid of one employee and he's planning on spending that amount on 3 cheaper employees instead. Wanna be excited for him and his position of having an owner who is apparently really going to be letting him run things. On the other hand gently caress not paying people proper amounts of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sextro posted:

Just had dinner with a friend who was very excited about having an extra $36k in his labor budget because he got rid of one employee and he's planning on spending that amount on 3 cheaper employees instead. Wanna be excited for him and his position of having an owner who is apparently really going to be letting him run things. On the other hand gently caress not paying people proper amounts of money.

You need to tell him that. You can be supportive of your friend while also shining a harsh light on bad practices.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Trying to catch up on this thread after an extremely long time and it feels like a bummer. It makes me sad to read that people are not having positive kitchen experiences by means of financial compensation or having a reasonable amount of fun work to do.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

infiniteguest posted:

Trying to catch up on this thread after an extremely long time and it feels like a bummer. It makes me sad to read that people are not having positive kitchen experiences by means of financial compensation or having a reasonable amount of fun work to do.

If it helps I just left a position as an assistant manager due to an awful restaurant manager that joined around 6 months ago. It's unfortunate that one person can turn a previously great work environment into a toxic one, but it's always possible to get out.

I just interviewed for a small, family-owned place at a lower position but waaay more interesting and was offered the job, I'm pretty happy to make the change. The new place seems like it treats staff way better and even offers part ownership for long term employees.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You need to tell him that. You can be supportive of your friend while also shining a harsh light on bad practices.

Generally agree, although it might be that the guy he fired was awful. Saying that $12k per person isn't enough anywhere and I imagine they would be avoiding healthcare and other benefits by having three part-timers instead of a single employee, which is just a lovely thing to do.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Raikiri posted:

Generally agree, although it might be that the guy he fired was awful. Saying that $12k per person isn't enough anywhere and I imagine they would be avoiding healthcare and other benefits by having three part-timers instead of a single employee, which is just a lovely thing to do.

Oh yeah, the one guy was an awful waste of space who had implanted himself firmly in the owners ear, so his removal definitely got a hi5. But also, yeah. $12k per person. gently caress that.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Skwirl posted:

What counts as early morning for a dive bar?

Coming in at 7am to start prepping for Friday lunch and finding the Thursday night bartender still doing an after-hours deep clean. He was well lubricated.

I'll never forget walking down the steps confused as gently caress and hearing him go "heyyyyyyyyy Brute Squad" from around the corner.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

EDIT: Didn't like my original post. Hate industry. Miss making tamales.

Once worked for a restaurant whose bar made Old Fashioneds with grapefruit instead of orange and they literally tasted like barf, but it was their "signature" so they refused to do it any other way.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 3, 2019

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I run a southern restaurant, and people will have their server come ask me what they can eat with a pepper, garlic, butter and onion allergy. :psyduck:

My previous joint was a place with "biscuit" in the name. That was our thing, we made biscuits. People would come in demanding gluten-free options, when we had Chernobyl levels of flour just hanging in the air and coating everything BOH.

My current joint, we had a plate come back the other day because, quoting the server, "she has an intolerance to mashed potatoes".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I will never understand those people. We had a big rear end sign by the door at the bakery to remind people with serious allergies that it was full of airborne flour and peanut/tree nut dust and those with strong allergies were not safe to come inside.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

I will never understand those people. We had a big rear end sign by the door at the bakery to remind people with serious allergies that it was full of airborne flour and peanut/tree nut dust and those with strong allergies were not safe to come inside.

OBVIOUSLY this doesn't apply to ME, the VALUED CUSTOMER

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My current joint, we had a plate come back the other day because, quoting the server, "she has an intolerance to mashed potatoes".

pride month is an excellent time to learn tolerance

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
had an order come back for a "well done" burger

difficulty: i work at a vegan restaurant

had fun imagining someone on the opposite side of that spectrum going "AND THAT VEGETABLE BETTER STILL BE GROWING WHEN IT HITS MY TABLE"

i am so very, very tired

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Plan Z posted:

EDIT: Didn't like my original post. Hate industry. Miss making tamales.

Once worked for a restaurant whose bar made Old Fashioneds with grapefruit instead of orange and they literally tasted like barf, but it was their "signature" so they refused to do it any other way.

Old fashioned sours use squirt instead of white soda :shrug:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SHVPS4DETH posted:

had fun imagining someone on the opposite side of that spectrum going "AND THAT VEGETABLE BETTER STILL BE GROWING WHEN IT HITS MY TABLE"

i am so very, very tired

Paleo/raw restos are a Thing.

In capitalism there's always floor to fall below. Always.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

i am so very, very tired

I had a guest order a veggie burger, which I made her. Her husband had a regular beef burger. For context our veggie patties are half as thick as the beef patties, and you get two.

She called the server over to confirm it was a veggie patty and not beef. He confirmed it.

She called me out to confirm it was a veggie patty, which I did.

She told me it was clearly meat. I told her that the point of a veggie patty is to simulate a meat patty. She didn’t believe me and refused to eat it.

How far up your own rear end do you have to be to think that a restaurant is conspiring to trick you into eating meat, to the extent of having a separate, different looking meat patty to trick vegetarians with?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SHVPS4DETH posted:

i am so very, very tired

Having a lol thinking about medium rare tempeh.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mithross posted:

I had a guest order a veggie burger, which I made her. Her husband had a regular beef burger. For context our veggie patties are half as thick as the beef patties, and you get two.

She called the server over to confirm it was a veggie patty and not beef. He confirmed it.

She told me it was clearly meat. I told her that the point of a veggie patty is to simulate a meat patty. She didn’t believe me and refused to eat it.

How far up your own rear end do you have to be to think that a restaurant is conspiring to trick you into eating meat, to the extent of having a separate, different looking meat patty to trick vegetarians with?

are you sure you weren't unknowingly in a commercial for veggie patties?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

are you sure you weren't unknowingly in a commercial for veggie patties?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

iospace posted:

Old fashioned sours use squirt instead of white soda :shrug:

The problem was that they would take a grapefruit rind, mash it with a pestle, and just put it in a glass with the ingredients. Anybody who tasted it hated it, and it was the default thing they'd force the bartenders to serve if a customer asked for an old fashioned.

The owner was actually genuinely crazy and weird.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Mithross posted:

i had this exact situation except that the person sent the burg back bc they didn’t believe it was a veg patty

i cooked another one of the same patty without salt and pepper seasoning and they were happy :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

So the place I'm at now is pretty fuckin' big, we have the main dining area, but also an upstairs, a private wine room, and a speakeasy. The last 3 we rent out for private parties, usually 20-75 people depending on the space.

Chef will let us know if we have a party coming up, but everyone but me seems content to just go "Durrrf, okay, lots of people Thursday night" but not bother to read the specifics on the request form we get. Me, I not only like to be prepared, but I'm just loving nosy about who or what is gonna be dropping 4 digits on renting our space out. Usually it's like some some dentists' convention, or maybe a bunch of lawyers... Once we did a funeral reception, which I actually thought was cool. I know if I had money when I died, I'd want everyone to eat well and have an open bar and hear some good tunes on our bitchin' sound system. Anyways, just generally whoever can afford us is more classy than goony.

Tonight? It's a Magic the Gathering party. Cash bar, and the instructions just say "will be ordering off menu". No indication of how many we're expecting, the only specific is "set up tables for MTG card play" --- yeah, cause I'm sure our FOH knows what that means. Thanks, management.

My heart breaks for everyone involved. I predict I'm gonna get crushed with pizzas, fry is gonna get slammed, and the psych major/den mother in me might need to set up a triage station for my sisters in FOH getting traumatized by a room full of gawking smelly neck beards that probably don't know how to tip.

Wish us luck, I'll let you know how it goes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Ahh you are close to SCG headquarters in Roanoke i take it? Most of the MtG community is fine these days. The worst ones aren't social enough to be invited to a private event like that one you are hosting.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

So the place I'm at now is pretty fuckin' big, we have the main dining area, but also an upstairs, a private wine room, and a speakeasy. The last 3 we rent out for private parties, usually 20-75 people depending on the space.

Chef will let us know if we have a party coming up, but everyone but me seems content to just go "Durrrf, okay, lots of people Thursday night" but not bother to read the specifics on the request form we get. Me, I not only like to be prepared, but I'm just loving nosy about who or what is gonna be dropping 4 digits on renting our space out. Usually it's like some some dentists' convention, or maybe a bunch of lawyers... Once we did a funeral reception, which I actually thought was cool. I know if I had money when I died, I'd want everyone to eat well and have an open bar and hear some good tunes on our bitchin' sound system. Anyways, just generally whoever can afford us is more classy than goony.

Tonight? It's a Magic the Gathering party. Cash bar, and the instructions just say "will be ordering off menu". No indication of how many we're expecting, the only specific is "set up tables for MTG card play" --- yeah, cause I'm sure our FOH knows what that means. Thanks, management.

My heart breaks for everyone involved. I predict I'm gonna get crushed with pizzas, fry is gonna get slammed, and the psych major/den mother in me might need to set up a triage station for my sisters in FOH getting traumatized by a room full of gawking smelly neck beards that probably don't know how to tip.

Wish us luck, I'll let you know how it goes.

Haha that's amazing. The super awkward ones likely won't be in attendance, but I suspect you're right about the tipping. Go say hello to the mtg thread if you're so inclined, odds are even someone in there might be at the party or at least in town

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ahh you are close to SCG headquarters in Roanoke i take it? Most of the MtG community is fine these days. The worst ones aren't social enough to be invited to a private event like that one you are hosting.

This. Not to mention you're mostly or only going to be dealing with paper players (as opposed to people who play the online version), so they're at least ostensibly used to interacting with others in person.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Spikes32 posted:

Haha that's amazing. The super awkward ones likely won't be in attendance, but I suspect you're right about the tipping. Go say hello to the mtg thread if you're so inclined, odds are even someone in there might be at the party or at least in town

We get a rather large DnD event at the resort I work at every year and as a whole they are some of the nicest people we get in. Some will require a bit of additional service and 8 Cokes with dinner, but they tend to tip appropriately.

One guy couldn't decide on what steak to order, so he rolled for it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

EGM, you're on the money: I am in Roanoke (and had no idea this city was home to, like, the MTG capital of the world until I just googled it).

The (way too much) time I spend on these here forums had colored my perspective; I was expecting a room full of fat smelly neckbeards showing asscrack who tipped their fedoras instead of their servers. But FOH said they tipped nicely, and BOH only got hit in small waves because they didnt eat while playing; and even when a table finished up, they were all sporadically ordering separate checks, not like many parties when we get chits that are as long as a CVS receipt.

Did a whole lot of pretzel stick apps, though, I don't think I've ever fried so many pretzels. If I'm still around this place next year and they're booked, gonna remember to make more queso dipping sauce.

I love the story about the DnD guy rolling for steak. Maybe I should do that; we get a free shift meal of whatever the gently caress I want, and I'll always come into work around 3pm absolutely starving, but can't decide what I want because I have TOO many options. Next thing I know it's 9:00 and I'm hangry as hell because (sigh) den mother that I am, I've been too busy making sure everyone else's station is good. I'm surrounded by food, but I've lost about 10 pounds since I started here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

EGM, you're on the money: I am in Roanoke (and had no idea this city was home to, like, the MTG capital of the world until I just googled it).

The (way too much) time I spend on these here forums had colored my perspective; I was expecting a room full of fat smelly neckbeards showing asscrack who tipped their fedoras instead of their servers. But FOH said they tipped nicely, and BOH only got hit in small waves because they didnt eat while playing; and even when a table finished up, they were all sporadically ordering separate checks, not like many parties when we get chits that are as long as a CVS receipt.

Did a whole lot of pretzel stick apps, though, I don't think I've ever fried so many pretzels. If I'm still around this place next year and they're booked, gonna remember to make more queso dipping sauce.

I love the story about the DnD guy rolling for steak. Maybe I should do that; we get a free shift meal of whatever the gently caress I want, and I'll always come into work around 3pm absolutely starving, but can't decide what I want because I have TOO many options. Next thing I know it's 9:00 and I'm hangry as hell because (sigh) den mother that I am, I've been too busy making sure everyone else's station is good. I'm surrounded by food, but I've lost about 10 pounds since I started here.

The smelly neckbeard stereotype is primarily video game folks. Playing Magic and DnD, you're interacting with people in person on a regular basis - showing up smelling like 4 day old socks will quickly lead to invites getting lost. Video games, however, you never leave your couch/chair/basement, so things like "hygiene" are pretty easy to forget.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

The smelly neckbeard stereotype is primarily video game folks. Playing Magic and DnD, you're interacting with people in person on a regular basis - showing up smelling like 4 day old socks will quickly lead to invites getting lost. Video games, however, you never leave your couch/chair/basement, so things like "hygiene" are pretty easy to forget.

Fun fact I travel for magic: The Gathering a few times a year and there’s a group of us from assorted different areas that always meet up and go out for food. We’ve hand curated the list to contain people who are polite, social, enjoy beer, and tip.

Neckbeards and chuds DO exist, but they don’t get invited out for dinner.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's still a thing in wargaming.

The guy who organizes events for my local game store gripes about having to have the 'axe is not shower in a can' conversation with people.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
It’s always fun having that conversation with employees, too.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Liquid Communism posted:

the 'axe is not shower in a can' conversation

I volunteer at a major games convention in Boston. Have this conversation at least once an hour.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Fun fact I travel for magic: The Gathering a few times a year and there’s a group of us from assorted different areas that always meet up and go out for food. We’ve hand curated the list to contain people who are polite, social, enjoy beer, and tip.

Do you guys do the credit card game, too? Instead of trying to split checks, everybody just tosses their credit card in a hat, then they get pulled out one by one, last one out pays.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Do you guys do the credit card game, too? Instead of trying to split checks, everybody just tosses their credit card in a hat, then they get pulled out one by one, last one out pays.

We only get that with golfers. I'll take the stack to our bartender (who knows the name/card number of the biggest rear end in a top hat since they usually have a drink before dinner) and have her pick.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Kilonum posted:

I volunteer at a major games convention in Boston. Have this conversation at least once an hour.

I'm guessing PAX. PAX can be a stinky place.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Truly and utterly - bless you for this.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One of my "worth it" moments in the industry was working weekend mornings when Setsucon (a local anime convention) was held in the hotel where I worked. Our hotel's brunches were really good and kind of got close to up-scale dining, with lots of the richer State College crowd showing up after church. This one Sunday I lucked out and instead of having to cook for the brunch I got to do carving/omelette during Setsucon weekend. I had trouble holding my poo poo whenever I saw some old person in their suit just glaring at a Naruto or Goku grabbing poached eggs further down the line.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's an old story I guess but if you hate Yelp, this dude hates them more (click the image for the story)

Seems like it did the trick for him, although how reproducable the formula will be is questionable. I guess the story's in the news again because of the release of Billion Dollar Bully last month.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That guy is definitely Italian. I remember a little restaurant in Florence that had a handwritten sign in the window that just said (in English) “NO ICE.”

I guess they got tired of answering the question...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
THe best part of that story was the cease-and-desist letter Yelp sent him. He copy-pasted the whole thing, swapped Yelp in for [his name] throughout, and sent it back. It was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Lost power in the middle of dinner last night because some dipshit hit a power pole and took out the whole block. Was pretty much told "do what you can and get out of there if it's not back on in an hour or so".

Now I get to head up there this morning and hope that a) the power is actually back on, b) the surge beforehand didn't destroy anything expensive, c) we didn't lose too much product, and d) the money isn't hosed up because I didn't have any checkouts to rectify the drawers.

Pray for me.