Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"My secret will probably come out eventually, so it would be better to just not have secrets and be open about my feelings" is, I think, not how people work on this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The issue is that Enta was aware of the surface level genre signifiers—color coded scarves, transformation sequences, monsters of the week—and deduced that he was in a really weird sentai, and thus that everything follows a predictable pattern. Thus far, that pattern was that whoever is the tip of the dildo/gets the focus episode is the one who has the leak. As long as he doesn’t get up there and sing, he reasoned, the secret will never get out. The issue is that he’s actually living out a completely different type of show that only has the visual trappings of children’s television

e: this is of course all in line with his visual archetype being “the smart one” in terms of the apparent team structure no matter how little that actually applies to him

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 25, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh my god, Enta is the dumb jock.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does Toi's use of the ruler make him in fact a neeerd

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fangz posted:

Does Toi's use of the ruler make him in fact a neeerd

I feel like Kazuki is the nerd given his ability to plan a kidnapping in a hurry complete with maps.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Enti is the dumb jock, Kazuki is the nerd, and Toi is the one with emotional intelligence.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Toi being emotionally the most stable out of all the kids after literally murdering someone when he was like 7 says a lot actually

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm pretty sure that Toi is just better at hiding his turmoil

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh my god, Enta is the dumb jock.

Telegraphed because he’s the yellow frogranger not green

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Toi being emotionally the most stable out of all the kids after literally murdering someone when he was like 7 says a lot actually

I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop with that kid. In a show about shameful secrets, all of his so far have been "things I don't want the police to know".

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Just rewatched the first two episodes with three people, one of whom has seen all of Utena, one of whom has seen through all of Sailor Moon and the second season of Utena, and one of whom was a complete Ikuhara virgin. It was amazing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

I like noodles, I like broccoli (especially when stir fried), but steamed broccoli + ramen + mayonaise what the gently caress is that

It's student/low-level "cooking". Like adding a boiled egg to your cup ramen.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dzhay posted:

I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop with that kid. In a show about shameful secrets, all of his so far have been "things I don't want the police to know".

He literally killed somebody, and he seems to avoid having friends out of fear of them thinking he's a monster.

Kazuki just going "sure, that's fine" is the weird part. Especially since Enta seems to have taken the opposite stance.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Well gently caress.

Guess we got to that "poo poo just got real" Ikuhara moment.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Well gently caress.

Guess we got to that "poo poo just got real" Ikuhara moment.

That episode title drop at the end, god drat.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ikuhara bingo at last.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
gently caress

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Welp.... gently caress.

bon jovi anyone?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man I choose a poor time to binge through this anime. :smith:

Gibbering posted:

All these boys be messy bitches.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Well, what happens now? We only have three episodes left!!! Augh gently caress!!!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ACAB, otter cops especially :argh:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That one brazillian footballer is pretty great huh

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
So Reo is his own worst enemy on multiple levels.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That was one hell of a scene to have post credits.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Heavy poo poo this episode

and broken misplaced anuses

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

The beginning and end of the ep really couldn't be more tonally dissimilar despite being kinda the same thing.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gibbering posted:

The beginning and end of the ep really couldn't be more tonally dissimilar despite being kinda the same thing.

(Keppi Comedy StingTM)

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
This went from bright magical sentai violence to gang violence with guns very quickly.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

i have a feeling

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So is this just one season, or will there be more? Because there’s a lot still going on.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

AFAIK it's just the 11 episodes

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'm genuinely pretty curious how they're gonna wrap all of this up. Off the top of my head loose ends include:

-Who Sara is and her place in all of this (this is the big one)
-What's up with the cop dads not recognizing her
-What's up with the cop dads in general, are they otters? are they just dudes? why were they involved in the war
-Are we done with Haruka or does he still have a secret left (framing and dialogue of the convo in the last episode kinda implied to me that something is still up with him)
-What exactly do keppi and the otters want
-What was special about that one soccer player all the kids loved
-What's the D-D-D-D-DARKNESSSSSS

Not saying that ikuhara shows have ever been about ~lore~ but most of these elements have been built up as mysteries for a while and I have no clue how they'll all get resolved in a satisfying way in just two episodes

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

1. I'm fairly sure that Sara is herself... not that important. I think she's just another survivor from the Kappa kingdom, the Kappa princess.
4. I think we are done with Haruka
6. Probably not important

I expect the show to drop some of the extraneous plot threads for the final arc to focus on the Boys - Cops - Otters dynamic, basically.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting discussion from 2000 between Ikuhara and the feminist media critic Mari Kotani about sexuality in fiction that may provide some fruitful context for Sarazanmai.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

youcallthatatwist posted:

-What was special about that one soccer player all the kids loved

The dark skinned blond guy with the name that means lion and a penchant for posing and fancy footwork who's never been seen facing the camera?

He doesn't necessarily have to be anyone special beyond what we already know, kids idolize sports stars (and idols) like that. Wanting to be connected to him through the micanga and imitating his poses is the way the boys connected to each other. It'd be nice to have a quote from him about teamwork or philosophy floating around so I could compare him to the Prince who inspired Utena to imitate him.

He's probably not literally Leo Niiboshi ten years ago if only because Leo's career timeline is slippery enough as it is without throwing a third country into the mix, but there's very little I would put past Ikuhara in the name of pulling together loose ends.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I thought he was meant to be Messi.

These boys are Messi’s bitches.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Yeah, I took the Brazilian as a Neymar/Messi hybrid.

Anyway I just binged through this series over the past couple days and I love it.

MissAnthropic
Jul 28, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

Interesting discussion from 2000 between Ikuhara and the feminist media Mari Kotani

Whoa, hey there! Last place I expected to find this before it was even finished! This is an article from Musashino University's scholarly publication, I found it and scanned it, got it translated (thank you so much Youzicha), and have the completed thing up on my website with the article images (couple boobs) and with all the obscure (and less obscure) references linked to resources for!

Disturbing, Traversing, Borderless, Shaking Sexuality: The Place where Revolutionary Girl Utena was Born

There's a couple tidbits in it that feel very like the roots of some of the messaging in Sarazanmai, like that men feel a need to connect through hobbies, things, and material gain. There's also the very early stirrings of a conversation about feminizing men and how yaoi/BL/slashing culture varies between Japan and the west. It's a huge article, I'm still kinda gobsmacked that I found it, and that someone dared translate the hulking thing.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/scomberesocidae/status/1138992817613578241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
This show descending into End of Eva level madness would make me happy beyond words.