Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yorkshire pudding being considered the best thing about English cuisine tells you all you need to know about its state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

ah I see the chart of slightly different shades of brown I ordered finally got here

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

Yorkshire pud is god tier, bangers and mash are top tier, but toad in the hole, which is literally Yorkshire pudding with embedded sausages is mid tier?

The bangers make the yorkie greasy which is not good.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Toad in the hole is delicious though? Then again I like haggis and black pudding

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Helpful of them to mirror the shephards pie picture for the cottage pie picture. A pallet swap wouldn't have been as elegant.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Scotch egg, toad in the hole and tikka masala all deserve a much higher place on that list. :colbert:

Also bacon sandwich is not god tier.

Otherwise pretty spot on though

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

Scotch egg, toad in the hole and tikka masala all deserve a much higher place on that list. :colbert:

Also bacon sandwich is not god tier.

Otherwise pretty spot on though

Bacon sandwich is only up there because of its power to destroy political careers.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

How come y'all looking at that list and not calling out Haggis as being stuck in the crap tier.

c'mon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mehall posted:

How come y'all looking at that list and not calling out Haggis as being stuck in the crap tier.

c'mon

Black pudding and haggis are like the two things in that picture that don't deserve to be cast into the abyss, so of course the average Brits would hate them.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
OK I stand corrected but that means America gets to claim pizza.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
What we call pizza, we can probably have, is the impression I get.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Pizza is Italian-American immigrant food.

I've been to Italy. The pizza's poo poo.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ToxicFrog posted:

Hey, at least they announced it.

My brief experience with Games For Windows Live featured the discovery that the website lets you put in basically whatever you want when creating an account, but the in-game client silently truncates the password you enter, with no visual indication that this has happened.

Usually it's because I click "forgot password" and they email me my old password.

I had a website where I was allowed to create a 20 character password, but the UI to authenticate wouldn't accept a 20 character password. I had to change it to a 16 character password and the UI worked.
I know I wasn't mistyping it because I was using a password manager.
Also sites that say "use special characters" but don't tell you which ones and you try a $ or % and it freaks out.
Or you create a password like %kl8_G*g and get told the password is too short. Bitch, nobody gonna guess that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Aleph Null posted:

I had a website where I was allowed to create a 20 character password, but the UI to authenticate wouldn't accept a 20 character password. I had to change it to a 16 character password and the UI worked.

This exact thing happened to me once when i worked at loving Microsoft

Best part is, the same UI was used for password changes so i had to call up IT and waste a bunch of time on the phone with them until they fixed it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I haven't had most of those and some day it would be nice to correct that.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Goon Danton posted:

Helpful of them to mirror the shephards pie picture for the cottage pie picture. A pallet swap wouldn't have been as elegant.

It is an obscure concept of culinary chemistry: the chirality of the British meat pies.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I haven't had most of those and some day it would be nice to correct that.

Most of it is hearty stodge to help you deal with the rain and general miserable weather.

Lot of it won't have strong flavours though. So if you're American it may appear bland.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A lot of it also formalised during the rationing in WW2, with very little access to spices beyond our handful of native herbs. There's this a heavy dependence on gravy for flavour. Like, nobody ever eats plain Yorkshire puddings.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Tenebrais posted:

A lot of it also formalised during the rationing in WW2, with very little access to spices beyond our handful of native herbs. There's this a heavy dependence on gravy for flavour. Like, nobody ever eats plain Yorkshire puddings.

Yeah, and then adding to that 200 years of industrialisation meant a lot of immigration from rural areas to cities, which wiped out a lot of regional cooking traditions. Especially anything that relied on foraging for edible greens in rural/woodland areas. Instead you end up with a lot of pies, because those are an easy lunch for factory workers to prepare and carry with them.

At least the poll is accurate in that British people almost always vote for the worst loving things. Cauliflower cheese is two ranks higher than kippers and haggis? C'mon.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Augh, I just noticed that there's steak and kidney pie in one tier, and then steak and kidney pudding (that appears to also be a pie?) in a different one. What the gently caress Britain

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Goon Danton posted:

Augh, I just noticed that there's steak and kidney pie in one tier, and then steak and kidney pudding (that appears to also be a pie?) in a different one. What the gently caress Britain

YouGov makes these kind of charts periodically and the consensus last time was that they're clickbait to drive interactions. I can't remember what the last one was but lots of times the results don't even make sense

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
There was a chips one making the rounds that had Pringles in the top tier of chips.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Goon Danton posted:

They use different types of pastry, pie is baked in an oven and pudding is steamed iirc.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Red Bones posted:

pastry ... is steamed

:crossarms:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fathis Munk posted:

There was a chips one making the rounds that had Pringles in the top tier of chips.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's suet.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I'm from the UK but I've only ever cooked regular pies, I'm just reading the recipe.

quote:

Suet pastry filled with tender steak and kidney in a rich gravy - a British classic pudding to be proud of.
Place the pudding onto an upturned saucer or small trivet in a large, deep saucepan and add enough just-boiled water to come halfway up the sides of the basin. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and place on the hob over a medium heat. Steam the pudding in simmering water for 2½ hours, adding more water as necessary.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Monster Much anywhere but top tier is heresy and wars have been fought over less

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
S

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Aleph Null posted:

Or you create a password like %kl8_G*g and get told the password is too short. Bitch, nobody gonna guess that.

Passwords of 8 characters are very brute-forceable today. Most standards (proper standards, that is) require 10-12 characters for regular passwords, 16+ for privileged accounts and 20+ for super users. The last two also requires 2FA.

In practice, most places rely on old standards (8+ characters of random gibberish and change them every 3 months, to ensure they are written down in the least secure way possible).

klafbang has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Jun 13, 2019

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Haggis is fine, the only thing potentially off-putting is the backstory but if you're already eating dead animals in your life you might as well mash up their organs, get some good use out of them. When the aliens land and harvest us for meat they better drat well use every part I don't want my life to be wasted

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tenebrais posted:

Yorkshire pudding liberally doused with a Louisiana style hot sauce would probably be delicious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Roblo posted:

It's not 100% certain, looking online, but it's pretty likely it was invented in England by Indian immigrants tailoring their curries to British tastes. So yes it belongs on that list.

It's also one of the few things on there that aren't garbage, even if it's bland compared to actual Indian food

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Angepain posted:

Haggis is fine, the only thing potentially off-putting is the backstory but if you're already eating dead animals in your life you might as well mash up their organs, get some good use out of them. When the aliens land and harvest us for meat they better drat well use every part I don't want my life to be wasted

also, blood sausage is delicious

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Savoury puddings are steamed and usually a suet pastry, it goes back to the history of what a 'pudding' was before it became another word for dessert.

Steamed puddings like steak and kidney are delicious. I've steamed many a pudding. Just wait till you find out about canned steamed pudding where you literally boil a can.

Best dessert pudding is Yorkshire Pudding with Jam.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

one thing about British food I always remember is that when I was a kid I thought porridge was some kind of local dish we didn't have here but I came to find out It's just oatmeal

Aramoro posted:

Just wait till you find out about canned steamed pudding where you literally boil a can.

this is the most normal part to any north american familiar with dulce de leche

southern US food is also almost entirely earth tones but with more mixtilized corn and less pudding

why is white gravy so weird to brits? it's just a sausage/milk/flour roux, you folks got all those things. Is it the pepper? I'm guessing it's the pepper.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Peanut Butler posted:

why is white gravy so weird to brits? it's just a sausage/milk/flour roux, you folks got all those things. Is it the pepper? I'm guessing it's the pepper.

I think it's just because Brits are used to brown gravy, that's all. Gravy=brown. So it's odd when it's white.

Don't think anyone has anything against it, just isn't what a Brit would consider gravy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

British gravy is meat juices and stock, thickened with a little flour and seasoned to taste. They're completely different sauces given the same name. (ironically the opposite of your porridge/oatmeal confusion)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah we have white sauce and bread sauce, but gravy is specifically meat juices with a roux to thicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah we got brown gravy, too, that's what's so weird about this!

I'm guessing it's real popular here, on biscuits (yeah, yeah), since it's an easy way to feed a whole mess of people working/travelling westward. Real easy to whip up a vat of white gravy, from stuff that keeps well pre-refrigeration. Like pancakes or grits or black beans or really any breakfast where you gotta get dozens of people ready for a hard day but everyone's still tired from yesterday

e: oh it's just not called gravy??? okay this is one of those things where you also have puzzles but some puzzles are called 'mind-delights' and are never called puzzles

Peanut Butler has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Jun 13, 2019