Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I'm technically Southern and I've never known a person to make a beanless chili. Hell, I know more people that make meatless chili these days.

It's a Texas/Oklahoma thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Darko posted:

It's a Texas/Oklahoma thing.

I live in Oklahoma and have only seen beanless chili when it's served on hot dogs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Not to bring back Zombie chat but I haven’t seen his Halloweens..do I really need to watch his first one or can I just skip to 2?

Also 1000 Corpses is awesome and oddly genuine. Super rough around the edges but it’s a campy as gently caress spookhouse midnight movie if that’s your thing. Devils Rejects is really, really good but I’d rather watch Dwight get turned into a mermaid again instead

Zombie’s first Halloween is really uneven, but I really do think you kinda need it as context for the much better Halloween II.

If you liked HO1KC, I say watch em both.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Secret Black Christmas remake https://twitter.com/blumhouse/status/1139233050787627008?s=21

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

david_a posted:

Can someone please explain the appeal of Lords of Salem to me

Characters that I find pretty genuine and engaging finding themselves in a spooky Italian supernatural horror style scenario loaded with tons of Ken Russell imagery. A mash up of stuff that really appeals to me and really well made in all the technical aspects.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
@kvlt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msJTFvhkU4

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Starring Imogen Poots! Hell yea

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

I never saw the 2006 remake, was it any good?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

I’m curious about this too. It’s pretty universally reviled right?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

It was relatively inoffensive, which I guess puts it in the top half of horror remakes, but there's really no reason to bother with it imo.

Drunkboxer posted:

I’m curious about this too. It’s pretty universally reviled right?

I wouldn't say reviled. It was mostly just ignored.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I saw it and barely remember it. It was one of those movies where I was in high school, and it was only really talked about by people who didn't like horror enough to know it was a remake. It was appreciated by the same crowd that liked Cry_Wolf.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really like Lords of Salem, but for each really cool, cinematic visual there’s also one really stupid one (popes jacking off)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Happy birthday, Jason :toot:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

I saw it and barely remember it.

Same with me for remakes on Black Christmas, and Poltergeist. I know I sat through them but really couldn't tell you anything beyond what was taken from the originals.

Franchescanado posted:

Hell, I know more people that make meatless chili these days.

Growing up I had chili plenty of times with or without beans and or pasta so to me, meatless is the weird one. All I ask is it please have at least medium or higher heat otherwise it's an abomination to both Man and God.

Gejimayu posted:

For Content: Fried Green Tomatoes isn't horror but drat is it a good movie featuring cooking someone into food.

That's one of my few favorite movies that isn't horror. I still laugh when someone asks me what my favorite not horror film is and I say that one and as they think it over and then it hits them. "Secret's in the sauce..."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

Same with me for remakes on Black Christmas, and Poltergeist. I know I sat through them but really couldn't tell you anything beyond what was taken from the originals.

God I hate the Poltergeist remake. I bought it by accident because I thought it was the original, I was all excited to watch it and popped it in and was met with nothing but pure disappointment that not even Sam Rockwell could fix.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The.. uh first... remake of Black Christmas took out everything good about the original. The few phone calls aren't creepy and the backstory of the killer is explained in excruciating detail and flashbacks (and it's a dumb story too). It's way more actiony and has probably over double the kills. It also has more eye violence than a Fulci flick, for some reason. Supposedly the Weinsteins flexed creative control over the movie like they always do and ordered extensive rewrites and reshoots, and it shows because it's a drat mess.

Anyway, there's no reason for another remake. Despite being what I consider to be the best slasher ever made, it ain't a hot recognizable property like Halloween or F13, so I don't get it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What the gently caress am I looking at? Mint green noodles? 40 lbs of cheese? Paper thin chili in between? What is this!?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at? Mint green noodles? 40 lbs of cheese? Paper thin chili in between? What is this!?

Teaser for a new horror movie

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's... watchable? The worst part is that you see Billy and he's got yellow skin for some reason and his mom used to rape him a lot.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It exists. I think a Sorority Row and a Prom Night remake came out around the same time and they were all inoffensive nothing you forget the moment it's over and wonder why it came to be in the first place. It's probably the best of the ones I listed? Tough to remember.

Not nearly as rancid and offensive as the Silent Night Deadly Night remake that is a good argument for destruction of art.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Banana Splits trailer's out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R1-ZZTcTBY

Everyone who called it a Five Nights at Freddie's go were right.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

Holy poo poo are you loving kidding me. This is the kind of thing that’s supposed to be a Robot Chicken sketch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had to look it up to make sure it wasn't just a gag.

I'm still not sure.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

M_Sinistrari posted:

gently caress it, why not.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Circling back to Lords of Salem, I guess what bugged me was that Heidi didn’t do anything. I bunch of stuff happens to her but I don’t remember her having any agency whatsoever.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

david_a posted:

Circling back to Lords of Salem, I guess what bugged me was that Heidi didn’t do anything. I bunch of stuff happens to her but I don’t remember her having any agency whatsoever.

That’s what I took to be the tragic part of the story. It’s just fated to happen, regardless of what she does. She essentially has no agency as a human being.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So yeah, Rosemary's Baby.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

M_Sinistrari posted:

That is, bar none, the stupidest loving thing I've seen in film in a long time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kvlt! posted:

what movies is 31 ripping off tf

I mean, Rocky Horror Picture Show with that very obvious homage to the cannibal dinner scene.

Drunkboxer posted:

I remember meatloaf :haw:

This guy knows what's up :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Blast Fantasto posted:

That’s what I took to be the tragic part of the story. It’s just fated to happen, regardless of what she does. She essentially has no agency as a human being.

You can also look at how the character has a past drug addiction issue that her two colleagues know about but clearly don't care to notice or do much about until it's both way to late and even clearly at the "Huh these old people are clearly abusing this woman in some way' the ex-boyfriend/radio co-workers just sort of fades away instead of doing anything.

But that was also kind of the one nitpick I had with the movie. It maybe spends a little too much time in poo poo the "regular people around her should notice that poo poo is clearly wrong" territory so it feels like it's spinning its wheels a little towards the end. But I still loved it and think it's his best movie.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Also I’m real late on this, but The Texas Chain Restaurant Massacre where the Sawyer family have expanded their barbecue restaurant to a regional TGI Friday’s type chain is an amazing idea for a movie

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tart Kitty posted:

That is, bar none, the stupidest loving thing I've seen in film in a long time.

You mean it's great?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just noticed that Boar has finally hit US Shudder Prime, Australian horror film about a giant pig with John Jarratt? I'm watching this poo poo now.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Origami Dali posted:

So yeah, Rosemary's Baby.

Rosemary does a ton of poo poo in that movie, it just doesn't succeed because patriarchy.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Glenn Danzig made a horror and it sounds baaaad

https://film.avclub.com/holy-hell-glenn-danzig-mightve-just-made-the-room-of-h-1835503250

quote:

At one point, a woman looks into a mirror for minutes on end, while the camera zooms in...then out...then in...then out...then in...and so on. A guy in the row ahead of me started laughing so hard, it drowned out several of her lines, which was fine. The mix wasn’t so hot to begin with.

quote:

During one scene, a random woman has a conversation with a man in a darkened alley, and then the camera pulls back to reveals she’s having a casual chat with an eight-armed spider creature, who then snaps her neck. Cut to the news anchor describing the scene, and saying the killer is being called “The Neckbreaker.” It’s spectacular.

quote:

Highlights of this story include too-good-to-be-true moments like the cops, standing over the body of yet another woman with her face cut off, saying, “The killer’s motive is clear: He cuts their faces off.”

I must see this.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 14, 2019

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Danzig has always struck me a person that takes themselves way too seriously

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Catfishenfuego posted:

Rosemary does a ton of poo poo in that movie, it just doesn't succeed because patriarchy.

I can understand your interpretation of patriarchy at play, though I'd say the cultural conflict between generations was stronger theme. Granted I'm probably mixing book with movie, but Rosemary's shown to have been raised fairly traditional and her relationship with Guy (actor and not really religious-practically a scandal on legs to a traditional type family) and moving to worldly NYC's been a bone of contention. She feels guilty over moving away from how she was raised even though she's got no reason to and might be an underlying motivation for her friendship with Dutch, making him the stand in for a parental figure. The elder figures around her that she'd expect to be a similar sort of traditional really aren't. Case in point, the Pope's visit is a big deal to Rosemary but Minnie's all 'take away the gold and jeweled robes and he's a man like anyone else'. There's also the clash between the younger generation represented by Rosemary and her friends with their more freespirited attitudes questioning and clashing with the elder figures while not traditional are still the ones establishing the way things must be. Guy's essentially moving from the former to become part of the latter regardless of sacrifices required. Despite all that Rosemary goes through she's in the unique position of while she's rebelling against the coven, she does have an unofficial position in the hierarchy as Adrian's mother and is exempt from any repercussions/requirements someone else would receive. Case in point, she tells the coven she won't join and they're okay with that. In the end, Rosemary finds her agency in stepping up to be a mother to her son and doing what she can to counteract any influence from the coven.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Danzig has always struck me a person that takes themselves way too seriously

Which is just what you want from a bad movie. Making a deliberately bad film takes actual skill. But no skill+over inflated ego results in things like The Room.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone can help me:

I've been trying to find the original uncensored version of American Horror House, which is a Syfy movie from 2012. It appears to be completely unavailable anywhere in any physical or digital format, including any/all streaming services.

The only version I can find that's still sold in America is a censored version on DVD only that's titled Sorority Horror House, and even that seems to have been discontinued.

There is a region B blu-ray version titled Paranormal Initiation, but it's even more heavily censored than Sorority Horror House. They took what was basically an R-rated movie and watered it down to about a PG.

Has anyone heard of this movie? Any idea where I can find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

david_a posted:

That's one of the many reasons I found the film unengaging.