Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

quote:

If I needed a shot, or if J.J. decided we needed another shot, we would set up in a corner and get a green screen shot of something. Getting to know the cast and having them be comfortable with me, it was a really great way to understand what they were going through.”

Wait, they're on sets/locations shooting with a green screen to get pick-ups/inserts? What?

e: Also, from the Vanity Fair article:

quote:

When Isaac arrived in Wadi Rum for his first week of shooting, Abrams had set up a massive greenscreen in the middle of the desert. “And I was like, ‘J. J., can I ask you a question? I notice we’re shooting on greenscreen.’ And he’s like, ‘So why the hell are we in the desert?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah!’ And he said, ‘Well, because look: the way that the sand interacts with the light, and the type of shots you would set up—if you were designing the shot on a computer you would never even think to do that.’

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I know its ingrained in us growing up that we all should strive to be rich and famous, but acting has to be one of the worst God drat careers. sure if you're an a-lister you're probably rich, but

- you'll probably gently caress up with all that money and owe nic cage-esque back taxes

- you have no privacy and awful shitheads trying to snap pictures of your dongle

- if you're a woman good luck finding roles past 40 or so

- if you're in it for the love of the game, greenscreens have to be the most insulting poo poo

- JJ Abrams

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
This probably got posted a while back, but lol

https://twitter.com/swtweets/status/1017139557412638720

Perhaps they should have considered using "red matter" instead, lol

Also, that "Star Wars fact" has people thinking that the First Order may have ripped holes in space-time. Here's a Looper video cued up to the relevant silliness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhgzV0lePfk&t=324s

Just loving lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SWTweets is second only to denny's solo collector's placemat series #10 as my source for canon deets

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

SWTweets is second only to denny's solo collector's placemat series #10 as my source for canon deets

I apologize, I'm a dumbass

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I probably also shouldn't listen to dumb Looper vids while playing video games

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bogus Adventure posted:

I had to re-read that tweet a few times because that was my exact reaction.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm ignorant about processing film, but am I wrong if I read that and assume that the only way they could be editing while they shoot is because...they're filming digitally?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Wait, they're on sets/locations shooting with a green screen to get pick-ups/inserts? What?

I mean it kinda sounds dumb but it makes sense I guess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cheesus posted:

I'm ignorant about processing film, but am I wrong if I read that and assume that the only way they could be editing while they shoot is because...they're filming digitally?

I honestly have no clue. JJ Abrams gave an interview to Vanity Fair or some other publication back in, like, 2014, about how he felt it was so important to preserve shooting on film (even though some shooting on TFA was done on Arri ALEXA cameras), but we won't know more until American Cinematographer or Cinefex does a writeup about the movie's production.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
If only these people who care so much about how light refracts on grains of sand somewhere off-screen cared as much about competent storytelling, character development, meaningful themes, and other things that make their expensive pretty movie memorable after I leave the theater parking lot Netflix page.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Timby posted:

I had to re-read that tweet a few times because that was my exact reaction.

If it's really true, I will die of laughter like Judge Doom's weasels.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Almost Blue posted:

Isn't this a scene from "The Disaster Artist"?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I choose to read this as them being so close to each other they're cutting away all the bad parts.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wow. A desert. Truly, the most original and imaginative locations for this series about wars in the stars. :geno:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

Also, that "Star Wars fact" has people thinking that the First Order may have ripped holes in space-time.

Probably also a bunch of credulous morons eagerly discussing the "lore implications"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don’t even blame JJ for this. Kevin Feige will go down as whatever the cigar chomping Hollywood bigwig generational talent is. No one but him seemingly can make these long connected franchises work. It’s just the most sad with Star Wars because I’d rather have movies I’ll never forget for the wrong reasons like the prequel then the totally forgettable messes we’ve gotten so far that really stink of studio mishandling.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bogus Adventure posted:

Hell yeah, LOBOT IS IN THE MOVIE!!!

Lando punches a button on his watch in a moment of crisis, hard cut to a skeleton with a beeping headset attached to its skull.

Lando- “Sometimes on the bad days I forget he’s gone.”

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

General Dog posted:

Lando punches a button on his watch in a moment of crisis, hard cut to a skeleton with a beeping headset attached to its skull.

:negative:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

General Dog posted:

I wish! :lol:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

weekly font posted:

I don’t even blame JJ for this. Kevin Feige will go down as whatever the cigar chomping Hollywood bigwig generational talent is. No one but him seemingly can make these long connected franchises work. It’s just the most sad with Star Wars because I’d rather have movies I’ll never forget for the wrong reasons like the prequel then the totally forgettable messes we’ve gotten so far that really stink of studio mishandling.
It feels like Disney didn’t even bother to have any real control over what these movies were though.

I’m not sure who is in charge of the Star Wars stuff but they are clearly not doing a good job with keeping things on track in regards to production and the overall vision of the project.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Disney's treatment of it kind of makes sense if Kathleen Kennedy is taking the "playground for storytellers" approach that someone in either this or the other Star Wars thread mentioned George Lucas had originally intended. However, it's kind of weird to do that with the sequel trilogy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bogus Adventure posted:

Disney's treatment of it kind of makes sense if Kathleen Kennedy is taking the "playground for storytellers" approach that someone in either this or the other Star Wars thread mentioned George Lucas had originally intended. However, it's kind of weird to do that with the sequel trilogy.
So is Kennedy the person actually in charge of the SW films? I wasn’t sure if that was the case or not

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

She is president of Lucasfilm, but going from both official and unofficial behind-the-scenes accounts, she is also very involved with the production of the films (as she has co-produced all of the post-buyout ones up to this point).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

So is Kennedy the person actually in charge of the SW films? I wasn’t sure if that was the case or not

Cross-Section posted:

She is president of Lucasfilm, but going from both official and unofficial behind-the-scenes accounts, she is also very involved with the production of the films (as she has co-produced all of the post-buyout ones up to this point).

Yeah, I don't want to place all of the blame on her because it seems like the writers of these movies have a certain amount of leeway with story (especially JJ and Rian in the sequel trilogies). However, she's probably the person in the best position to exercise some form of creative oversight.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Bogus Adventure posted:

This probably got posted a while back, but lol

https://twitter.com/swtweets/status/1017139557412638720

Also, that "Star Wars fact" has people thinking that the First Order may have ripped holes in space-time. Here's a Looper video cued up to the relevant silliness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhgzV0lePfk&t=324s

Just loving lol

why do people want this to become some direct-to-DVD shitpile?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Me: gently caress Lucas for using green screens!

Also Me: Lets fly out to the desert but shoot on greenscreen cause sand is loving up my shot

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Luke-rear end.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, I don't want to place all of the blame on her because it seems like the writers of these movies have a certain amount of leeway with story (especially JJ and Rian in the sequel trilogies). However, she's probably the person in the best position to exercise some form of creative oversight.

To be fair to Kathleen Kennedy, she was a producer on the original Jurassic Park so she has a bit of cred. But it seems like she's more involved with the Star Wars films than anything else and is the one that made the push for so many films.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

To be fair to Kathleen Kennedy, she was a producer on the original Jurassic Park so she has a bit of cred. But it seems like she's more involved with the Star Wars films than anything else and is the one that made the push for so many films.

Jurassic Park was a standalone film though, not a franchise.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was a monster juggernaut of marketing everywhere. It was everything. It was planned with franchising from the start.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

She produced most of Spielbergs films, starting with E.T. and stuff like Back to the Future that he co-produced, so there's way more cred than that. But, given her production history, it basically seems to be "let the director do whatever."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

She produced most of Spielbergs films, starting with E.T. and stuff like Back to the Future that he co-produced, so there's way more cred than that. But, given her production history, it basically seems to be "let the director do whatever."

Well that kind of fell apart with Solo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Well that kind of fell apart with Solo.

It fell apart with Rogue One

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

It fell apart with Rogue One

Oh right, true, though it's always been a little less clear to me how much changed there. There's stuff in the trailer that's not in the movie, but I thought the director himself said they just shot a bunch of stuff without knowing what would end up in the movie. I know there are reports that they brought someone in to do reshoots and edits and cut Edwards out, but I don't know how much is true vs. rumors.

Meanwhile on Solo they just straight up fired the directors and brought in Ron loving Howard. Much more clear cut what happened there.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

There's stuff in the trailer that's not in the movie, but I thought the director himself said they just shot a bunch of stuff without knowing what would end up in the movie. I know there are reports that they brought someone in to do reshoots and edits and cut Edwards out, but I don't know how much is true vs. rumors.

The "extra stuff" is probably half true. A huge chunk of Force Awakens' marketing was made up of unused shots and deleted-scene footage - but we also know that a decent amount of Rogue One was rewritten/reshot by an uncredited Tony Gilroy. (Luckily, Gilroy did a pretty good job of it.)

Also, as it happens, the recent movie Prospect is an unofficial Star Wars movie about space outlaws that's vastly superior to Solo in every way.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Oh right, true, though it's always been a little less clear to me how much changed there. There's stuff in the trailer that's not in the movie, but I thought the director himself said they just shot a bunch of stuff without knowing what would end up in the movie. I know there are reports that they brought someone in to do reshoots and edits and cut Edwards out, but I don't know how much is true vs. rumors.

Meanwhile on Solo they just straight up fired the directors and brought in Ron loving Howard. Much more clear cut what happened there.

My understanding is that the events of the Scarif battle were pretty heavily changed, and that the entire space battle over Scarif and the New Hope tie-in were late additions by Gilroy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Scarif was simplified. Originally it had them steal the plans in one building, then run to another part of the island complex to transmit them. They reworked it to all be the same building.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

High Lord Elbow posted:

If only these people who care so much about how light refracts on grains of sand somewhere off-screen cared as much about competent storytelling, character development, meaningful themes, and other things that make their expensive pretty movie memorable after I leave the theater parking lot Netflix page.

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1139557533947977730

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What in the gently caress? I skimmed that and uh... yeah.