Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Garfield is set in Muncie, IN and Jon Arbuckle comes from a farming family he occasionally visits and he brings Garfield and Odie with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Garfield himself was born in an Italian restaurant.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BrigadierSensible posted:

Footrot Flats rules! The movie was ACE, and they got John Clarke as a voice!

But Murray Ball, (the creator), turned out to be a miserable misogynist in his old age, and wrote at least one comic book about how feminism and/or PC culture is ruining the world etc.

Hell yeah this makes feminism look awesome.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He’s a cartoonist according to the first strip, but who knows what he got retconned into.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That reminds me I have to go and feed my parents' orange tabby tomorrow

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

That reminds me I have to go and feed my parents' orange tabby tomorrow

You should post a picture of him, and a Garfield comic

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

He’s a cartoonist according to the first strip, but who knows what he got retconned into.

I don't think he ever stopped being a cartoonist. It just quit getting mentioned somewhere along the way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jon Arbuckle's job is as relevant to the strip Garfield as my job is to my cat

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I hope this works

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Skwirl posted:

Jon Arbuckle's job is as relevant to the strip Garfield as my job is to my cat

Tell me about that bitch Cathy, your cat telepathically transmits, staring unblinkingly at you. Go ahead and vent, that's why I'm here.

"Cathy is not a bitch," you say with a sigh. You appreciate your cat's attempts to commiserate, but he was always a terrible misogynist. "She's still trying to bounce back from her miscarriage. And her husband left her."

poo poo, that means she's single, your cat's mind vibrates to you. You could probably get a piece of that real easy. Why don't you sidle up and start licking the back of her head? Maybe latch your jaws around her neck?

"I'm getting really tired of you, cat."

You got tired of me years ago, your cat trills deep in your mind. That's why you held me down in a tub after I knocked over your lasagna. At first it was to get the sauce out of my fur. Then it was to get revenge for the claw-marks on your arm. Then it was because you liked seeing the bubbles escape my mouth. And then the bubbles stopped.

"That didn't happen," you say, sweat running down your forehead. "God drat you, I'd never do such a thing. Never!"

Your cat licks his paw and smooths back the fur on his head. The scars on your arm don't lie. That little bare mound of dirt in the backyard doesn't lie either.

"Every loving night you do this," you hiss. You take a step toward the cat as he stares unblinking, unmoving. "You always, always antagonize me, and then you remind me of things that didn't happen. Why don't you loving leave me alone already?"

You know I'd never leave you. Your cat's voice in your mind is like nails on a chalkboard, but unnaturally warped and rippling. You stumble. Christ, not the headache again. Not that god damned headache...

The same headache you had when you invited Cathy over for drinks after work? When I suggested you take her to the backyard to see the moon? It's awfully quiet out there. And lonely, too. With that tall fence around, people never saw what happened. And now there's a larger mound next to mine, just as bare and forlorn. And nobody will ever find it, because you are just that lonely and uninteresting. You weren't even suspected.

Rage flows through your veins, hot and red and viscous, and for a moment -- just a moment -- you feel alive. You feel real. You feel whole. You wrap trembling hands about the cat's neck and squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze-

Your eyes open, and you sit up with a sharp gasp. You run your hands through your hair and shake your head. Why do you keep having this dream? You take a drink from the open bottle of vodka on the table and shake your head as the dream -- the horrible, terrible, beautiful dream -- begins to dissolve like mist on a spring morning. You reach down and idly pet your cat's head as it comes up purring, and you heave yourself out of bed.

Another day at work, another day of listening to Cathy whine about her loving miscarriage. But that's fine, because she's still pretty good-looking, and she obviously likes you, and she'd probably be up to hanging out for a drink or two. Maybe she'd even like to come out to look at the moon for a little while. You absentmindedly reach down to pet your cat at the thought, but you don't feel anything.

Your cat's gone. That's strange.

You take another drink. Popov takes like stale kerosene, but it makes the morning bearable.

Time to get ready for another day of cartooning.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Tell me about that bitch Cathy, your cat telepathically transmits, staring unblinkingly at you. Go ahead and vent, that's why I'm here.

"Cathy is not a bitch," you say with a sigh. You appreciate your cat's attempts to commiserate, but he was always a terrible misogynist. "She's still trying to bounce back from her miscarriage. And her husband left her."

poo poo, that means she's single, your cat's mind vibrates to you. You could probably get a piece of that real easy. Why don't you sidle up and start licking the back of her head? Maybe latch your jaws around her neck?

"I'm getting really tired of you, cat."

You got tired of me years ago, your cat trills deep in your mind. That's why you held me down in a tub after I knocked over your lasagna. At first it was to get the sauce out of my fur. Then it was to get revenge for the claw-marks on your arm. Then it was because you liked seeing the bubbles escape my mouth. And then the bubbles stopped.

"That didn't happen," you say, sweat running down your forehead. "God drat you, I'd never do such a thing. Never!"

Your cat licks his paw and smooths back the fur on his head. The scars on your arm don't lie. That little bare mound of dirt in the backyard doesn't lie either.

"Every loving night you do this," you hiss. You take a step toward the cat as he stares unblinking, unmoving. "You always, always antagonize me, and then you remind me of things that didn't happen. Why don't you loving leave me alone already?"

You know I'd never leave you. Your cat's voice in your mind is like nails on a chalkboard, but unnaturally warped and rippling. You stumble. Christ, not the headache again. Not that god damned headache...

The same headache you had when you invited Cathy over for drinks after work? When I suggested you take her to the backyard to see the moon? It's awfully quiet out there. And lonely, too. With that tall fence around, people never saw what happened. And now there's a larger mound next to mine, just as bare and forlorn. And nobody will ever find it, because you are just that lonely and uninteresting. You weren't even suspected.

Rage flows through your veins, hot and red and viscous, and for a moment -- just a moment -- you feel alive. You feel real. You feel whole. You wrap trembling hands about the cat's neck and squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze-

Your eyes open, and you sit up with a sharp gasp. You run your hands through your hair and shake your head. Why do you keep having this dream? You take a drink from the open bottle of vodka on the table and shake your head as the dream -- the horrible, terrible, beautiful dream -- begins to dissolve like mist on a spring morning. You reach down and idly pet your cat's head as it comes up purring, and you heave yourself out of bed.

Another day at work, another day of listening to Cathy whine about her loving miscarriage. But that's fine, because she's still pretty good-looking, and she obviously likes you, and she'd probably be up to hanging out for a drink or two. Maybe she'd even like to come out to look at the moon for a little while. You absentmindedly reach down to pet your cat at the thought, but you don't feel anything.

Your cat's gone. That's strange.

You take another drink. Popov takes like stale kerosene, but it makes the morning bearable.

Time to get ready for another day of cartooning.

Yeah but how does nermal figure into this

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Nermal leads the Abu Dhabi wing of ISIS, which was started by Tyler Durden.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm guessing that part's because Jim Davis himself grew up on a farm.

One of these days I need to post some Footrot Flats in here, a New Zealand comic strip about a dog (known as The Dog) and his farmer. It's got really nice art.

Footrot Flats is cool and good, and The Dog is a good dog.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao i just got this :golfclap:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's a goodie Screaming Idiot.
:thumbsup:

E: Andrew Garfield was shot on a saturday but died September 19, 1881 which was a monday!

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Jun 14, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BrigadierSensible posted:

Footrot Flats rules! The movie was ACE, and they got John Clarke as a voice!

But Murray Ball, (the creator), turned out to be a miserable misogynist in his old age, and wrote at least one comic book about how feminism and/or PC culture is ruining the world etc.

Awww. I didn't need to know that :(

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

lmao i just got this :golfclap:

Is there something more to get than "this comic would be better without anything in it"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh, it was just a joke on inverting Garfield Minus Garfield for a strip without Garfield, which amounts to the same thing in the end.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh lol i thought jon and liz were under the table doing whatever he was implying in the one i posted hahha

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

The comic works on so many levels. You're a true artist Captain Hygiene

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

just brilliant, and erotic

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I laughed, I cried, I SHIDDED AND FARDED AND CAMED MY PANTS.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jim Davis is a really funny guy and a great writer, he's just indescribably lazy most of the time.

And poo poo, good for him!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Korgan posted:

The comic works on so many levels. You're a true artist Captain Hygiene

All interpretations of edited comic copyright (c) 2019 me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Jim Davis is a really funny guy and a great writer, he's just indescribably lazy most of the time.

Garfield is a self-insert

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Garfield is a self-insert

Well obviously he wouldn't make his self-insert drink hot dog jizz.

Or so one hopes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

that semen was canonically at room temperature, and furthermore

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dewgy posted:

He has like 5 people working under him doing the comics now. None can tell the apocrypha from the authentic anymore.

Sometime in the future it will be like when fans realized why some of the Donald duck comics were better than others: It was the good artist, Carl Barks. Except with all the cut & paste, identifying the funny Garfields comes up to word frequencies and timeframes (this one can't be by Author B because he was most likely on vacation at the time).

At no point will the actual humor be considered.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Jun 14, 2019

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Garrand posted:

I hope this works

I enjoyed this

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
liquefy garfield. put it in a blue mug. let me drink the comics puree. i am the garfield sommelier. there's only one of me and i chug dog cum 24/7

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

Sometime in the future it will be like when fans realized why some of the Donald duck comics were better than others: It was the good artist, Carl Barks.
... or Don Rosa.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

JazzmasterCurious posted:

... or Don Rosa.

Don Rosa did a good job but it was basically Carl Barks fanart.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The best Duck artist is still Romano Scarpa. Also the best writer.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

never heard of this carl barks but it seems he's actually the dog mascot of communism

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

World War Mammories posted:

never heard of this carl barks but it seems he's actually the dog mascot of communism

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Don Rosa is cool and hates Duck Tales.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Push El Burrito posted:

Don Rosa is cool and hates Duck Tales.

I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Beachcomber posted:

I don't understand.

no worry. nothing since 1960 under the any of the old marquees is worth anything at all, disney, warner, mgm, all of them. its all just corporate mouthwash

unless you have Tex Avery in your crew that is! sadly youtube blocks it because of bullshit laws, so in this specific case i will break my promise not to link to dailymotion:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4830ti