Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vonnie posted:

I was gonna make an effortpost to try and elaborate on the one good point the scanlators are making, but I don't think it would convince anyone who wasn't already on their side, but basically:

That's not a problem for YOU, the manga reader, but it is a problem for THEM, the amateur translators. It is highly unlikely that any given group uploading content to mangadex would make the cut when/if they go legit, and any group that DOESN'T make the cut gets hosed, they have to find yet another site like batoto/mangadex to upload to. So if they're going to have to do it anyway, why not now, when Mangadex has clearly signaled their intent?

At the end of the day, the people adding the content that mangadex is flourishing with are doing it for free, and Mangadex want to use their free labor to strike it rich, leaving the amateur translators in the ditch.

I hadn’t considered that. I still don’t agree with the (angry) scanlators, because they are also using other people’s works and have Patreons set up, so it seems a little hypocritical. I don’t think that MangaDex will ever reasonably go legit with multiple publishing companies already having legal means to publish, so I think their concerns about that are largely unfounded.

I appreciate your explanation, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It seems like this whole deal started when one of the guys said, off the cuff, "we haven't really thought much about the future, but it would be nice if we could maybe go legit someday." Then a bunch of scanslators, who have already gotten burned by other sites "going legit" using their free labor, got all up in arms.

Thing is, MDex doesn't appear to have a plan or anything. It was just the one guy going "here's one possible scenario." These scan groups hit the Full Outrage button far too early, in my opinion.

JB is really the only group that does any series I care about anymore, and I used their delayed releases on MDex to remind me that, oh yeah, there's probably a new We Never Learn out on JB's site, oughta go check for that. Now I have to REMEMBER things. Ugh.

It'll suck if they pull their existing catalogs and leave huge gaps in the library, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the shooting themselves in the foot effect of pulling their releases is especially stupid because mangadex added the staggered release schedule that says you can go read it on their site right this instsnt, which likely also directs you to their patreon at some point too, thus maybe providing more income. But instead, I just forget about x series until someone else uploads stuff to mangadex because I'm not interested in keeping track of a gaggle of random scanlator sites that often have subpar at best reader setups

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t understand being angry that a site wants to go legit eventually.

Mangadex could go legit right this very second if they were wanted to; they'd just have to drop all their content. They haven't done that, because the goal isn't to "go legit." They're perfectly fine being a pirate website, but hey, if by chance they become a big enough problem that a publisher decides that buying them out is the easiest solution, then why not take the money?

It sucks for fan translators who want the security of one hosting website that will last forever or some poo poo, but even Animesuki only lasted 11 years and :lol: at expecting Mangadex to take some ethical position in favor of piracy.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
Mangadex's "go legit" is explicitly a pipe dream they'd want if they could keep most scanlations not some "let's burn the community to he ground for money". Also JB is spearheading this exit and they aren't even in a grey legal area.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I hadn’t considered that. I still don’t agree with the (angry) scanlators, because they are also using other people’s works and have Patreons set up, so it seems a little hypocritical. I don’t think that MangaDex will ever reasonably go legit with multiple publishing companies already having legal means to publish, so I think their concerns about that are largely unfounded.

I appreciate your explanation, though.

Yeah I don't want anyone to think that I am fully taking the scanlators side. Mangadex eventually going legit is good for them, they can go ahead and do that.

My beef with mangadex comes from these images from that thread (I haven't read the full thing, just the initial post and response)
https://i.imgur.com/IMccs8w.png This comes off really lovely "Oh they don't want to upload their stuff onto our platform? They're stupid!"
and
https://i.imgur.com/Do4n4k9.png Lines 3, 4, 9, 13, and 14 don't really paint the best picture either.

Entertaining the idea of trying to pressure scanlators into forking over their content is hosed.
Mangadex has other problems besides money, they have no experience with what legitimacy would actually entail.
Mangadex produces no content, if content is king, then scanlation groups are the important ones, not the hosting platform.
:siren: They want to hold a monopoly on scanlation. :siren: The fact that they have no way of really doing that doesn't matter, the fact they want that power is bad enough.
The "millions of users" are there for the work that the scanlation groups put out, not for mangadex itself. If mangadex died people would almost instantly move on, just like with batoto.

Holo is super transparently being an absolute poo poo, trying to turn public opinion against scanlators for the grave sin of... wanting control of "their" content and getting paid for their effort.

Like, oh man, the groups have PATREONS? They want money? That's terrible!

...Oh wait Holo wants money too, and... power? because they host the images and have a half decent reader.

Like yeah, I get how the idea of the groups getting paid for piracy is kinda hosed, but they're doing actual work. I don't really like how people can consume pirated content, and then wag their fingers disapprovingly at the people actually working to produce it. At the end of the day, it's still labor.

And again, just to emphasize, it's not Holo's dream of going legit with mangadex that I'm against. It's that Holo seems to feel entitled to the work of these other people, and should be the only one that sees the benefit of it.

Edit: I suppose it would be better to read "Mangadex" as just Holo. Holo comes off as a massive poo poo even ignoring the images posted by the OP.

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 12, 2019

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it may be labor, but it's not legitimate ethical labor. scanlators shouldn't make any money off their work, ethically. neither should aggregators. collecting enough cash to cover monthly bandwidth costs is the most ethical course of action (aside from not doing it) but still making it reasonably available. patreon is bad because it (and advertising) can go beyond this cap.

i think translators should just bear it when it comes to aggregators, which i also don't agree with because they make scanlated manga more widely available - which brings more attention from rights holders. it also obviously adds a host of its own ethical issues. in a perfect world we'd still be getting it from irc with as little attention as possible, as cumbersome as it may be, and scanlation would still be acknowledged as a hobby rather than this parallel business model the pirates are trying to make it (but i'm not denying the sale of bootlegs etc. haven't always been present in the scene) by slyly putting several degrees of separation between "give us money, you get chapter"

two wrongs making a right though would be someone uploading the pay-to-read hostage scanlations of guyver and baki (and whatever other series do that)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah I can't really say I am a fan of money entering into the equation with regards to scanlation, those groups setting up patreons doesn't sit very well. IMO the reason to go straight to the scan group's page (or irc or livejournal or whatever) was to reduce the aggregation sites making money off of piracy and keep the profile lower; turning the whole thing into a business crosses the line in a big way to me.

Reminds me of the Stop Tazmo poo poo back in the day, I guess now the reaction is to just go set up their own pay site instead of trying to take down the guy charging people.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015

Vonnie posted:

Yeah I don't want anyone to think that I am fully taking the scanlators side. Mangadex eventually going legit is good for them, they can go ahead and do that.

My beef with mangadex comes from these images from that thread (I haven't read the full thing, just the initial post and response)
https://i.imgur.com/IMccs8w.png This comes off really lovely "Oh they don't want to upload their stuff onto our platform? They're stupid!"
and
https://i.imgur.com/Do4n4k9.png Lines 3, 4, 9, 13, and 14 don't really paint the best picture either.

Entertaining the idea of trying to pressure scanlators into forking over their content is hosed.
Mangadex has other problems besides money, they have no experience with what legitimacy would actually entail.
Mangadex produces no content, if content is king, then scanlation groups are the important ones, not the hosting platform.
:siren: They want to hold a monopoly on scanlation. :siren: The fact that they have no way of really doing that doesn't matter, the fact they want that power is bad enough.
The "millions of users" are there for the work that the scanlation groups put out, not for mangadex itself. If mangadex died people would almost instantly move on, just like with batoto.

Holo is super transparently being an absolute poo poo, trying to turn public opinion against scanlators for the grave sin of... wanting control of "their" content and getting paid for their effort.

Like, oh man, the groups have PATREONS? They want money? That's terrible!

...Oh wait Holo wants money too, and... power? because they host the images and have a half decent reader.

Like yeah, I get how the idea of the groups getting paid for piracy is kinda hosed, but they're doing actual work. I don't really like how people can consume pirated content, and then wag their fingers disapprovingly at the people actually working to produce it. At the end of the day, it's still labor.

And again, just to emphasize, it's not Holo's dream of going legit with mangadex that I'm against. It's that Holo seems to feel entitled to the work of these other people, and should be the only one that sees the benefit of it.

Edit: I suppose it would be better to read "Mangadex" as just Holo. Holo comes off as a massive poo poo even ignoring the images posted by the OP.

If you dont have the full story you really shouldn't be offering your opinion.

Those images are over a year old and presented without any context, plus multiple members of MD's staff have claimed that if MD was doing what you're accusing them of they would have already left the site.

The actual likely inciting incident is that some other groups sniped the delayed releases and used a credits page urging people to not donate to scanlations, when the delayers complained to MD they said they don't interfere in scanlation drama. Strangely enough the complainers the started this movement.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Let's all move on from this back to the threads original purpose because whatever happens happens

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Doesn't Fakku and E-hentai have that market cornered?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vonnie posted:

I was gonna make an effortpost to try and elaborate on the one good point the scanlators are making, but I don't think it would convince anyone who wasn't already on their side, but basically:

That's not a problem for YOU, the manga reader, but it is a problem for THEM, the amateur translators. It is highly unlikely that any given group uploading content to mangadex would make the cut when/if they go legit, and any group that DOESN'T make the cut gets hosed, they have to find yet another site like batoto/mangadex to upload to. So if they're going to have to do it anyway, why not now, when Mangadex has clearly signaled their intent?

At the end of the day, the people adding the content that mangadex is flourishing with are doing it for free, and Mangadex want to use their free labor to strike it rich, leaving the amateur translators in the ditch.

Strike it rich with a site that doesn't have ads and probably has a fairly hefty hosting bill?

Mirage posted:

It seems like this whole deal started when one of the guys said, off the cuff, "we haven't really thought much about the future, but it would be nice if we could maybe go legit someday." Then a bunch of scanslators, who have already gotten burned by other sites "going legit" using their free labor, got all up in arms.

Thing is, MDex doesn't appear to have a plan or anything. It was just the one guy going "here's one possible scenario." These scan groups hit the Full Outrage button far too early, in my opinion.

JB is really the only group that does any series I care about anymore, and I used their delayed releases on MDex to remind me that, oh yeah, there's probably a new We Never Learn out on JB's site, oughta go check for that. Now I have to REMEMBER things. Ugh.

It'll suck if they pull their existing catalogs and leave huge gaps in the library, though.

Aren't they the guys that had a bitcoin miner running in the background of their site?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I doubt that having tens of patreon backers or branded mousemat sales are nearly as lucrative as some people seem to be imagining

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cuntellectual posted:

Aren't they the guys that had a bitcoin miner running in the background of their site?

Wasn't that MangaStream.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

Let's all move on from this back to the threads original purpose because whatever happens happens

David D. Davidson posted:

Doesn't Fakku and E-hentai have that market cornered?

look what you did jose

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vonnie posted:

er, no, they're already doing unpaid labor by making and maintaining the site. the alternatives to going legit are "run out of money for hosting/maintenance and eventually shut down" or "give your computer/phone cancer the way kissmanga does." :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it is kind of funny that the most pain-free way to read manga online is to use kissmanga with adblock/noscript, though

you desperately need those things or you're gonna have to do a full OS reinstall after a few times of visiting it, but... if you have them, basically the only non-ethics-related complaint anyone could possibly have is that they're still hosting the lovely old Berserk scanlations when there's totally scans of the DH translation around

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
From a scanslator perspective, Kissmanga doesn't let you take anything down or upload an improved version, so they're basically a way for your old shames to stick around on the internet forever without your consent.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Clarste posted:

From a scanslator perspective, Kissmanga doesn't let you take anything down or upload an improved version, so they're basically a way for your old shames to stick around on the internet forever without your consent.
That's basically what the internet is, though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
BIOTRUTHS

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol at anyone who still believes in IQ tests

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Reminds me of https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/kissing-cousins-icelandic-app-warns-if-your-date-is-a-relative-1.1390256

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

spoiler revealed:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Captain Invictus posted:

lol at anyone who still believes in IQ tests

IQ tests were meant to find out if a person was mentally disabled, not to find out how smart someone is.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hell,

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
That's a feeling alright.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did...did the Lusty Argonian Maid get a doujin or something?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

Did...did the Lusty Argonian Maid get a doujin or something?

This is bait, right? You don't REALLY have to ask??

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

"Just fyi, you suck unless you kill everyone that slighted you even a little."

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 21, 2019

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Jackard posted:

"Just fyi, you suck unless you kill everyone that slighted you even a little."

I've seen a lot of comments like that and i wonder why don't they just read Xianxia webnovels instead of complaining

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Not actually from a manga reader site, but I feel the content is in the spirit:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Roll Tide

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

The manga in question. A humanoid frog runs a little shop with a highschool girl as an employee.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Can Of Worms posted:

Do... do I want to know what's going on in Alabama? :stare:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
he also had a power pole to extend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Edit: Spicy comment section too.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 25, 2019