Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
I once saw a car in front of me doing that on some dirt road in the middle of nowhere, but I was like... ten at the time so I don't remember what my dad's explanation was after we stopped to help them.

It's hypnotizing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Lowclock posted:

It's coming out at such a velocity and volume and angle that I wanna say anything but a crazy pump couldn't manage that even if it was very carefully set up to do so, but the car also appears to be running.

Are gas tanks even vented by anything but the evap system or gas cap? Can't say I've ever seen it done any other way, and even if that was the case how would you actually get that much gas in there for it to expel that much for that long? Fill your tank with something besides a gas station pump that has no safeties and a tight seal?

I'm mystified and can't stop watching.

My gut feeling from the pressure is that it's exhaust gas pumping into the tank

I have no loving clue how, though.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

My gut feeling from the pressure is that it's exhaust gas pumping into the tank

I have no loving clue how, though.
This is basically the only other idea I had that could possibly make something that looks like that but it sounds so unreasonable and weird that I can't understand how or why it could happen.

That or it's some kind of strange movie prop or something.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lowclock posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mrP1w45.mp4

Please god someone explain this because I sure can't.

That smells like regular. She needs premium, dude! Premium, duuuuude!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Looks like it might be filmed in the Middle East. It's probably an add-on to show how wealthy you are, like all the drive-on-two wheels videos. Fuel comes out of the ground, so let's just pour it there as we drive.

I tell you, fuel prices are just about the only thing I miss about living there. $0.90 per gallon in Bahrain when I was there...

Oh and the shawarma.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

It's obvious what happened here.
The vehicle had some gas

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've had that happen when I trusted a drunk fart.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

I've had that happen when I trusted a drunk fart.

Hi there! And welcome to the Land Of Too Much Information!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Even them AY-rabs want to own the libs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wesleywillis posted:

Even them AY-rabs want to own the libs.

Makes sense. The only difference between Islamist extremists and the alt-right is which religion each one subscribes to.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The result of Hoovie scattering his Prius engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOV69lQYEtg

They are saying Nitrous + Atkinson Cycle Engine = bad idea.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I remember reading a series of articles about a guy trying to turbocharge a first-gen Prius. That actually worked, but he had to seriously dick with the electronics of the hybrid system to get it to *let* the engine make more horsepower. It kept dialing it back when he added boost.

edit:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 8, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone had a lovely day at work.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The truck seems to be enjoying it at least.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Powershift posted:

The truck seems to be enjoying it at least.

SHWING!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
why is that guy shoving a fire hydrant up his rear end

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

why is that guy shoving a fire hydrant up his rear end

He's actually really short and strong, and is using and old fire hydrant as a prosthetic leg.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Lowclock posted:

Please god someone explain this because I sure can't.

It's hot enough that the fuel is boiling in the tank.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

xzzy posted:

Someone had a lovely day at work.

Fairly typical for a landscaping company. I used to do fleet maintenance for one so I know exactly how this goes.
There's one guy who isn't an idiot says "truck is making a clunking noise." So I go and diag the issue and it's a u-joint, boss says WE'RE TOO BUSY TO HAVE THAT TRUCK OFF LINE FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME DON'T TOUCH IT IT'LL BE FINE.
This goes on for a couple weeks and then what happens is that.. in my case it was a f250 with a 6.0, when the driveshaft let loose it destroyed the transfer case, floor, cables and wires, and fuel tank.
AND ONLY THEN did my boss say "uh oh, is this going to take a long time to fix? Guess you should get on it."
It already had electrical system issues and the engine ran weird, so it got junked, but yea. Landscaping vehicles get sent until they blow.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

Fairly typical for a landscaping company. I used to do fleet maintenance for one so I know exactly how this goes.
There's one guy who isn't an idiot says "truck is making a clunking noise." So I go and diag the issue and it's a u-joint, boss says WE'RE TOO BUSY TO HAVE THAT TRUCK OFF LINE FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME DON'T TOUCH IT IT'LL BE FINE.
This goes on for a couple weeks and then what happens is that.. in my case it was a f250 with a 6.0, when the driveshaft let loose it destroyed the transfer case, floor, cables and wires, and fuel tank.
AND ONLY THEN did my boss say "uh oh, is this going to take a long time to fix? Guess you should get on it."
It already had electrical system issues and the engine ran weird, so it got junked, but yea. Landscaping vehicles get sent until they blow.

Only thing worse is plow trucks...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So glad I'm the boss and take good care of my equipment and trucks. It's stupid and wastes time and money not to do that. Dumbasses.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
That's any fleet vehicle for any trades company I've worked for here. You can report issues up the chain of command until you're blue in the face and everyone gives you some excuse why they can't fix the thing right now. When it finally shits the bed completely and you call your boss the first thing they say is "why didn't you report it and get it fixed?" Running to failure is such a loving stupid way to treat mission critical equipment, especially when you don't have spares.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It's hot enough that the fuel is boiling in the tank.

Back when I still daily rode motorcycles I would hear fuel boiling in the tank when I'd get stuck in traffic in Arizona summer...... it definitely didn't do this :v:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

BlackMK4 posted:

Back when I still daily rode motorcycles I would hear fuel boiling in the tank when I'd get stuck in traffic in Arizona summer...... it definitely didn't do this :v:

Gas cap was probably on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I was young dumb kid (instead of old and dumb) I was loving around with a van my parents had parked in the driveway on a hot summer day. I decided to take the gas cap off for reasons I don't recall and I got sprayed in the face with a bunch of fuel. Next thing I remember is my mom holding me under the water faucet in the bathtub to flush things out. :downs:

This was the early 80's so it was likely a 70's model.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

shy boy from chess club posted:

So glad I'm the boss and take good care of my equipment and trucks. It's stupid and wastes time and money not to do that. Dumbasses.

Don't you have a pretty much mint mid 90s Dodge Ram?

I rest my your case.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I worked for a lawn care company back in the mid-80's spraying lawns. We took IMMACULATE care of our tanker trucks, washing them at the end of each day, hitting all the zerks (there were dozens) with grease at least weekly and drivers being responsible for 3000mi oil changes. This was rare and at the painting company where I worked for a while we rarely even rolled the windows up when it was raining in the work pickups.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

STR posted:

Don't you have a pretty much mint mid 90s Dodge Ram?

I rest my your case.

Yea my 97 has like 42k on it and I keep it really nice. That one and my 86 GMC dump I was lucky to get in both low miles and good condition so I keep them up. My 00 Silverado I just got last year was a pile but I've been fixing everything as I go and I'll finish it by putting the new rocker panels on. I change the oil at 20-30 hours on my equipment and keep up on anything they need so breakdowns at work are rare. I just don't get the guys that buy new equipment and run it into the ground, it's so much cheaper to maintain stuff.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yea my 97 has like 42k on it and I keep it really nice. That one and my 86 GMC dump I was lucky to get in both low miles and good condition so I keep them up. My 00 Silverado I just got last year was a pile but I've been fixing everything as I go and I'll finish it by putting the new rocker panels on. I change the oil at 20-30 hours on my equipment and keep up on anything they need so breakdowns at work are rare. I just don't get the guys that buy new equipment and run it into the ground, it's so much cheaper to maintain stuff.

:effort:

and if you take care of it, how are you going to get a new truck every few years?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Maintenance is a monthly expense that is really easy to cut back on if you're pinching pennies. Everyone who can see past their own nose knows that it's a really dumb expense to cut down on, but it is usually one of the first things slashed once budgets need to be cut

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
There've been a bunch of times when I've told my boss: "truck/drill needs (service/repair/maintenance etc), like it should be done soon".

"Ok, we'll we'll schedule it in during a week when we have no drilling"

The only time we know we've got a week with no drilling is when that week is done.
Its cost us engines, hydraulic motors, pumps, cylinders, valves, and so on.

But yeah, standard practice in SOOOO many industries is pretty much this:

"boss, (part) on (machine) needs unbrokening"

"Can it last till the end of the job"?

"Ummmm Maybe".

"ok good".

Job ends

"Part on Machine still needs to be unbrokened".

"well, I got another job booked, can it wait"?

"Ummmm Maybe".

"ok good"

"part on machine broke, won't move, machine hosed".

"FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKK"!!!!!!!!!!!!

A week or two of down time later.........

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I even change the hydraulic oil and filters on time! I just spent $4k in the last 2 years just getting 4 pumps rebuilt so I want those fuckers to last at least another 2500ish hours. The one huge maintenance sin that I've committed since day one of owning my own vehicles is gear oil in the rear end of anything. I seriously don't think I've ever dropped rear axle fluid ever, only added it in 23 years of driving. Never had a rear axle problem either which is crazy. I plan to do all three trucks this year though and then keep track and change them occasionally.

E: I forgot I had to get a rear wheel bearing replaced in my Galaxie but I bought it with that problem.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I changed the diff oil in my old Z because all the local mechanics charged what I thought was too much for what is in some ways easier than an oil change (no undertray to remove). After reading how bad used gear oil smells, and making extra sure to be careful, I proceeded to get 80k mile old gear oil on my face, in my mouth, etc. It's kind of weird though, in some ways it really is THAT bad, but it's not as bad as rotting organic matter or other horrible chemical smells.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
These maintenance practices are also common in the nuclear waste industry. My experience is limited to Hanford but I've worked with plenty of people from other DOE sites across the US to know it's common at those sites, too.

Unless the piece of equipment is required by law to be maintained, it won't be. Well, maybe the contractor has some extra money and they sponsor a preventive or even predictive maintenance program. But lol, that never lasts more than a year or two and then everything is back to RTF. (Run To Fail).

Example: nuclear waste tank primary head space exhausters. The waste tends to generate hydrogen which is bad. The exhausters pull a vacuum on the tank and it continually gets cleared out. This action actually is legally required, as is monitoring the exhaust air for contamination.
Maintain the motors and fan bearings? Get the gently caress outta here. They get switched from A to B train on a weekly basis and when something shits the bed, then maybe we'll replace something.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If you dont schedule downtime for maintenance, your equipment will schedule it for you.

Government is so loving bad at this poo poo. We've got stuff thats basically run into the ground and then WE get poo poo on by the supervisor for "Why is this truck totally unroadworthy!!!! You useless fuckers arent doing the weekly checks raaaargh!"

Until you take all the weekly checks, reports, copies of written notes, emails etc reporting all the broken poo poo to the department manager. Then you get poo poo on by the supervisor because he got his arse kicked for not being on top of equipment maintenance.

We had a bobcat sit for a YEAR with a hole in the fuel tank, and a brand new fuel tank sit on the shelf for a year because they didnt want to schedule two days for me to change it out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

TotalLossBrain posted:

These maintenance practices are also common in the nuclear waste industry. My experience is limited to Hanford but I've worked with plenty of people from other DOE sites across the US to know it's common at those sites, too.

Unless the piece of equipment is required by law to be maintained, it won't be. Well, maybe the contractor has some extra money and they sponsor a preventive or even predictive maintenance program. But lol, that never lasts more than a year or two and then everything is back to RTF. (Run To Fail).

Example: nuclear waste tank primary head space exhausters. The waste tends to generate hydrogen which is bad. The exhausters pull a vacuum on the tank and it continually gets cleared out. This action actually is legally required, as is monitoring the exhaust air for contamination.
Maintain the motors and fan bearings? Get the gently caress outta here. They get switched from A to B train on a weekly basis and when something shits the bed, then maybe we'll replace something.
That's a prime application for condition monitoring.

Condition monitoring for industrial equipment is slowly becoming the norm, especially for plant critical equipment, and so much if it can be done remotely now there is really no excuse to have unplanned failure in tyyol 2019. it doesn't even cost much.

Surprise and catastrophic failures can still happen with no notice whatsoever, but that is exceptionally rare.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Having spares laying around is the best thing you can do regardless of failure mode. Broke unexpectedly? We have a spare! Needs scheduled maintenance? Job doesn’t stop.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Critical spares is where we're getting nailed right now, because our preventative maintenance program is well-honed after maintaining the same machines for sixty years or so.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Government is so loving bad at this poo poo. We've got stuff thats basically run into the ground and then WE get poo poo on by the supervisor for "Why is this truck totally unroadworthy!!!! You useless fuckers arent doing the weekly checks raaaargh!"

lol, just lol if you think the private side is any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The one huge maintenance sin that I've committed since day one of owning my own vehicles is gear oil in the rear end of anything. I seriously don't think I've ever dropped rear axle fluid ever, only added it in 23 years of driving. Never had a rear axle problem either which is crazy. I plan to do all three trucks this year though and then keep track and change them occasionally.

I'm pretty sure the only people who replace rear end lube (lol) probably make up less than 2-3% of RWD vehicle owners. It's something nobody ever does, until it goes kablooey. The exceptions being true car nerds, and the occasional Corvette/Camaro/Viper/etc owner who thinks switching to Royal Purple will free up 50 hp.

I'm the guy that's never changed the gearbox oil on his current car, despite 2nd gear protesting quite violently every time I try to downshift (and on a lot of upshifts) for a couple of months now. My only excuse is you have to cut down an allen key to get the drain plug out.....