Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Kanos posted:

I have to admit that I was honestly expecting ghost man to kill Nitoku to try to sell Purgatory. Son of a bitch, Kengan, you got me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kengan setting up a guy to lose with death flags only to show that, no, he’s actually very strong and then wins is a magic trick that I fall for every time

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

I have to admit that I was honestly expecting ghost man to kill Nitoku to try to sell Purgatory. Son of a bitch, Kengan, you got me again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Begemot posted:

That gave me big Holyland vibes, but I trust the Kengan writer way more because he has an actual martial arts consultant and doesn't do it CONSTANTLY.

Every chapter of Holyland had an aside like "no this is real I saw it with my own eyes!!"

....on youtube

holyland martial arts info was always so drat funny.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kengan just takes realistic fighting concepts (mostly) and stretches them until they look Anime enough.
It's kinda like Ippo but Ippo tends to be even more conservative (except for Mogli).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dias posted:

Kengan just takes realistic fighting concepts (mostly) and stretches them until they look Anime enough.
It's kinda like Ippo but Ippo tends to be even more conservative (except for Mogli).

And a lot of Takamura's poo poo tbh

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sliding scale of realism to batshit insane fighting manga from Ippo to DBZ.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dias posted:

Kengan is in the middle of anime fighting bullshit, with Ippo in one end and Baki in the other.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Teppu was pretty accurate.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru is probably the most realistic I've seen and Sakigake! Otokojuku is probably the least. I'd highly recommend the latter if you like insane martial arts and don't mind heavy Japanese nationalism.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

my parents boyfriend posted:

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru is probably the most realistic I've seen and Sakigake! Otokojuku is probably the least. I'd highly recommend the latter if you like insane martial arts and don't mind heavy Japanese nationalism.

Otokojuku and its spinoffs pwn and honestly thr nationalism on some parts was so over the top that it might as well be parody.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Minoru feels almost too realistic where everyone's limbs turn purple from a single side kick.

The sleazy management parts feel pretty genuine.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Plutonis posted:

Is Toyoda 3 meters tall

He looks about the same height as Adam, who is 6'3"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Minoru has a nice down-to-earth slice of life vibe, but also has some real bad homophobia and transphobia. Kinda soured me on the whole thing.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!

Begemot posted:

Minoru has a nice down-to-earth slice of life vibe, but also has some real bad homophobia and transphobia. Kinda soured me on the whole thing.

How about Minoru getting a powerup from constantly having to escape his roommate's attempts to rape him? I was thinking about making a youtube video about anime characters who shouldn't have been forgiven and Pedro is definitely going into it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pedro is the greatest Brazilian in manga.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Big Chairman guy is big, but also remember that a lot of the other people here are short.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Teppu doesn't fit into the Ippo - Baki scale because it's too realistic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
otokojuku was always supposed to be a parody of ultra-masculine japanese nationalism. that's the basic premise!

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
All rounder meguru is definitely one of the most realistic I've read. I just wish it updated more than once in a blue moon.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

otokojuku was always supposed to be a parody of ultra-masculine japanese nationalism. that's the basic premise!

I AM THE PRINCIPAL OF OTOKOJUKU, EDAJIMA HEIHACHI!!!

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

where the red fern gropes posted:

chapter 17 of Kazzy Knows Everybody: Series 2

I love how through the course of Ashura and Omega Kazzy has evolved from absolute nobody salaryman to one of the most connected, (and thus outright important) people in secret punchmans world.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
He needs to recruit King from opm and win the vs purgatory tournament through sheer intimidation.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Seriously this series rules every next thursday is so far away.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

Kazzy is going to somehow become one of the Kengan Association's representative fighters for the tournament.

Well sure, why else would he keep cultivating Koga? Once Kazzy completes the dark ritual to steal his youth and martial prowess, he'll be unstoppable.

For real, though, everyone else already said it but: I love that nothing in this is a foregone conclusion. It breaks expectations at every turn in a way that is so refreshing! There's a lot of suspense in every match.

Also:

Nice touch having Kazzy, known kinetic vision haver, be taken in completely by the technique that preys on a person's ability to read their opponents moves.

Also Koga for some reason. No reason to read too much into that one.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I thought it's been strongly hinted that Koga has a very similar ability to King Kazzy.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wow the jobber guy won. Must be in order to set up his next fight where he jobs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Wow the jobber guy won. Must be in order to set up his next fight where he jobs.

His beard is too lovely to protect him

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pewdiepie posted:

He was originally going to be the designated jobber in the Kengan Tournament until he retired, so Gensai had to take his place. Too bad Gensai didn't get the memo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gently caress I didn't think of that, Nikito is about get his rear end kicked by the dude Toyoda brought with him.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

gently caress I didn't think of that, Nikito is about get his rear end kicked by the dude Toyoda brought with him.

The guy's actually the secretary, he just like dressing up super cool and standing in badass posses but he actually cant fight at all. The lady with the clipboard is Hanufasa style serial murderer that uses nails or poo poo.

The kengan matches have all been men, would we ever see a lady enter the stage?

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 16, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

The guy's actually the secutary, he just like dressing up super cool and standing in badass posses but he actually cant fight at all. The lady with the clipboard is Hanufasa style serial murderer that uses nails or poo poo.

The kengan matches have all been men, would we ever see a lady enter the stage?

Absolutely not.

Also lol, Toyoda has no rear end.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also this is what Kazzy's VA (Cho) apparently looks like?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This guy doesn't just voice the part, he totally looks the part.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Noooo, don't tell me this stuff. Not when the animation and CGI looks so bad and won't pull a DOOM and turn extremely good before release!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Plutonis posted:

His beard is too lovely to protect him

It is a watchtower with but a single elephant inside, at best.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - https://mangadex.org/chapter/643560/1

loving lol that Nitoku does Kengan matches as a sideline so that he can support his writing career.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Looks like Ghost gave up the ghost

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aw, I liked Ghost. He was a nice mixture of creepy and moe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Good Good. Sambo Man will be around for a while.

PROBABLY GET dunked on but the fight will be good?