Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hard counter posted:

what to do in a standoff situation against a moose has become a part of my daily life

that was from brian’s winter you poser scrub :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

food court bailiff posted:

that was from brian’s winter you poser scrub :colbert:

https://study.com/academy/lesson/hatchet-chapter-16-summary.html

get wrecked son :smugmrgw:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wait the Moose comes back in Brian's Winter?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Amazingly, there is more than one moose in Canada.

There are two, and they are named Betty and Bert.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arivia posted:

Amazingly, there is more than one moose in Canada.

There are two, and they are named Betty and Bert.

What about Bullwinkle?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What about Bullwinkle?

last I heard he had a decent job and a house with a roommate somewhere in Minnesota

I’m sure he keeps in touch with his parents, but life and thwarting the sinister machinations of Cold War Eastern bloc spies gets in the way, you dig?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hard counter posted:

iirc in one sequel there was a journalist who was interested in the kid's survival story and wanted to write about it in detail and on site so they journeyed together into the woods to recreate the experience - hilariously, the journalist stipulated that hatchets were an unlikely tool for a person to have in an emergency situation so the kid had to use knives or some such

anyway the fella has some kind of stroke so it becomes a time-sensitive river journey back to civilization to get him medical aid

I read both of these and I'm not sure why.

El_Elegante posted:

Hatchet taught me that if someone farts in an airplane they are moments away from death. I wish I’d retained at least one other detail from that book.

When you're hunting for... whatever fowl it was that hides as tree stumps, you need to look for the shape rather than hoping to see feathers, and you also need to approach it laterally, zigzagging back and forth, so it doesn't run away.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mind the walrus posted:

Moose Returns: The Legend of Brian’s Gold

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I heard that Marilyn Manson took out his rib so he can suck his own dick!!

i heard that he's the friend from wonder years all gronw up

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I think there was only one what-if timeline in Hatchet; the one where Brian had to winter over in the wildnerness. The others followed on from either that, or the original book.

...I did not know there was a fifth one.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

the moose never left

do not give those things a taste for blood

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If You Give A Moose A Motive

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Apropos of nothing the my side of the mountain sequel had him build a hydroelectric dam and get yelled at by BIRD COPS.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Wait, there was a sequel to My Side of the Mountain? I loved that book. Sounds like it's better I never read the second one

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

hard counter posted:

the moose never left

do not give those things a taste for blood

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MrUnderbridge posted:

Wait, there was a sequel to My Side of the Mountain? I loved that book. Sounds like it's better I never read the second one
There were at least two, might have been a third I did not read. They got kinda libertarian iirc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Obviously they need a sequel from the perspective of the moose.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

christmas boots posted:

If You Give A Moose A Motive

So wait it's a Hatchet sequel and a sequel to If You Give A Moose a Muffin?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moose Welfare is the #1 cause of child death

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

Moose Welfare is the #1 cause of child death

A moose once bit my sister.....to death

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mooseontheloose posted:

So wait it's a Hatchet sequel and a sequel to If You Give A Moose a Muffin?

They're set in the same universe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

They're set in the same universe.

The Amelia Bedelia Literary Universe, right?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MrUnderbridge posted:

I think I had a 3-in-1 hardcover of them at one point, so there was at least that many.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My Side of the Mountain, The Far Side of the Mountain, and Frightful's Mountain, which from what I gathered was from the perspective of the bird, and which I yet somehow never read.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got around to watching Star Trek: TNG's first episode on Netflix. Interesting and the space jellyfish were cool, but wow that Fu Manchu looking guy at the trial. Again, the Post-Nuclear Horror is an interesting concept, but wow that stood out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got around to watching Star Trek: TNG's first episode on Netflix. Interesting and the space jellyfish were cool, but wow that Fu Manchu looking guy at the trial. Again, the Post-Nuclear Horror is an interesting concept, but wow that stood out.

Post-Nuclear Horror is a good outcome in our current timeline

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Have you seen the rest of TNG? I'm guessing you have.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
This is BioEnchanted we're talking about. There's good odds he's determined to experience all media in chronological order, and has only just unlocked TNG.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Elfface posted:

This is BioEnchanted we're talking about. There's good odds he's determined to experience all media in chronological order, and has only just unlocked TNG.

Ha, ha. No I've never got around to watching anything Star Trek apart from a couple of the movies, so figured I'd check it out after seeing innumerable clips on youtube.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just so you know, the second episode of TNG is one of the worst of the whole series and pretty racist to boot!

TNG didn't get good until Season 3, other than the odd good episode here and there in S1&2

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Veotax posted:

Just so you know, the second episode of TNG is one of the worst of the whole series and pretty racist to boot!

TNG didn't get good until Season 3, other than the odd good episode here and there in S1&2

At least it gets it out of the way early then.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think beardless Riker was also S1, which makes the entire season strange in its own right.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

Are you doing a watch diary with one of the Star Trek threads? If not, you should because we love that poo poo.

I just watched Escape from LA and noticed Snake repeatedly deadnaming his ex-friend.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Veotax posted:

That's the third episode. The second one is where they redo a TOS episode but hornier, and also before you know any of the characters.

The first 2 seasons' reputation is deserved, but fortunately they are not unwatchable. They're weird and often bad, but still pretty entertaining. I think I actually enjoyed season 3 a bit less, as a whole, because it's way more polished and occasionally fantastic, but often kind of boring.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The best season 1 episode is when they land on this planet that's booby trapped to hell and back and it turns out to be a long-abandoned demo for a planetary security system, and Picard saves the day by telling the hologram salesman that he's ready to buy one

Spoiled that since someone's watching it for the first time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

At least it gets it out of the way early then.
It's more like the batting average improves. Bad Star Trek episodes can happen any series, any season, any time.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

hard counter posted:

iirc in one sequel there was a journalist who was interested in the kid's survival story and wanted to write about it in detail and on site so they journeyed together into the woods to recreate the experience - hilariously, the journalist stipulated that hatchets were an unlikely tool for a person to have in an emergency situation so the kid had to use knives or some such

anyway the fella has some kind of stroke so it becomes a time-sensitive river journey back to civilization to get him medical aid

The Winter timeline ends with Brian being unable to deal with modern society and willingly becoming a hermit again while he's still legally a minor which is actually just a really depressing tale of a guy who can't get adequate support for post-traumatic stress.

Then he kills a bear.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think beardless Riker was also S1, which makes the entire season strange in its own right.

TNG's future was definitely not secure early on. Frakes grew a beard and then the show took off so people would sometimes joke that it was Riker's beard that saved it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The myth goes that Patrick Stewart only signed on because he figured it would get canned after the first season and he'd make some quick residual money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

The myth goes that Patrick Stewart only signed on because he figured it would get canned after the first season and he'd make some quick residual money.

He actually confirmed that in a variety interview - his agents were all "Oh, it won't last a year, get paid and move on" and then it lasted for a million years. Apparently Ian McKellen tried to warn him away from Star Trek but he didn't listen.