Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I Am Mother – I don't really disagree with anyone else's take on the story, but I will say the set design, art direction, and especially the acting exceeded my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Philthy posted:

Re: Urban Decay - The Troma movies might fit this. They have this weird aesthetic that kinda nails what you're going for. But the movies themselves you gotta be prepared for the ridiculousness.

Hell yeah they do, I should have mentioned that Class of Nuke Em High is one of my favorite movies. The newer stuff doesnt quite do it for me though

Also, the 2018 Halloween is on HBOgo, I had never heard of it until I thought I was going to watch the original just now and it’s actually...good? So far at least, I’m about halfway through and am impressed at their translation of the old slasher ambiance to today

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

:siren: oh gently caress, Ringo Lam's Category III masterpiece School on Fire is on Prime now :siren:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I kind of liked the Miley Cyrus black mirror, you could treat it as having layers of irony that the text itself probably doesn't support under closer examination (the idea that the music her 'true transgressive self' produces is still a poppier version of Nine Inch Nails sung by Miley Cyrus) but in general its basically an unabashedly slicker disney channel original movie & to that i say...cheers!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I Am Mother, just started: kinda weird how they grew all the embryos to a point, then stopped, instead of just preserving them all as zygotes.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Keith Atherton posted:

I just finished Black Summer and my disbelief was working until the final episode where civilians are wildly firing guns at close range with pandemonium going on and only the zombies get killed

What?Carmen is killed by stray gunfire and two of the main characters accidentally shoot at least two civilians dead by mistake

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lycus posted:

I Am Mother, just started: kinda weird how they grew all the embryos to a point, then stopped, instead of just preserving them all as zygotes.

I'm willing to assume that they grew them to the stage where the 24-hour gestation technology becomes practical, which they needed for the infant be selected and born entirely in the timespan of Mother's plot with Daughter meeting Hilary Swank's character.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It was bugging me who the woman in the first Black Mirror was. Oh duh, it's Mantis.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bad Times at the El Royale is pretty decent, but I felt like it was just sort of missing something. It’s got so many moving parts, and they all come together but I just don’t really know how satisfied with all of it I was.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The ending got too melodramatic and the big exposition dump at the end killed the pacing. That storyline needed to be integrated throughout for it to feel like a proper part of the build of tension. The whole film was trying too hard to do a Tarantino thing with its structure and shot itself in the foot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed 100%

It shifts gears from “what the hell is going on here? This movie is crazy!” to “it all makes sense but it’s not really very compelling” so quickly. None of it felt earned and was just sort of anticlimactic even though the last stretch of the film was pretty crazy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It makes more sense when you realize it was directed by Drew Goddard who did Cabin in the Woods.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I loved cabin in the woods though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

I loved cabin in the woods though.

Me too. Things just kind of happen in both movies and they're fun and I loved them both. I was shocked at how much I loved Bad Times, even if what was happening didn't always make sense.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

veni veni veni posted:

Bad Times at the El Royale is pretty decent

nope

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Aggretsuko season two is out!!! Finally!

edit: I’ve watched three episodes so far and the new hire guy makes me feel bad and anxious just watching it :(

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 15, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A Scanner Darkly is on Prime! Watch it!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

precision posted:

I love Blade Runner, but A Scanner Darkly is my absolute favorite PKD adaptation because it captures the paranoid feel of the novel so well.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
To Old to Die Young Nicholas Refns show came out on amazon prime yesterday. Its really self indulgent and if you've seen his other movies hes really just treading the same ground but man theres some impressive shots in there

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

precision posted:

Oh man, I saw this in theaters when I was sixteen with my dad and brother. I was a lovely teenager and I had gotten really stoned beforehand and I’m sure they knew, so it was memorably awkward. I remember liking it but I wonder if I’ll get more out of it as an adult who has read most of Dick’s work

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Terminal autist posted:

To Old to Die Young Nicholas Refns show came out on amazon prime yesterday. Its really self indulgent and if you've seen his other movies hes really just treading the same ground but man theres some impressive shots in there

I've seen two episodes and am about to call it quits unless I'm hearing extremely stellar praise for the rest. Refn is fine in movie length but I dont need 15 hours of him.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love Blade Runner, but A Scanner Darkly is my absolute favorite PKD adaptation because it captures the paranoid feel of the novel so well.

It's also about as grim as Requiem for a Dream.

You just have to remember that Requiem had a few good comedic moments amidst the foreshadowing of something awful coming.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The end of A Scanner Darkly is downright hopeful compared to Requiem for a Dream, he finds the drug flowers and says he'll keep them for when his friends come to visit, everyone in Requiem for a Dream is just completely hosed literally and figuratively and the only winner is heroin

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 16, 2019

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

The end of A Scanner Darkly is downright hopeful compared to Requiem for a Dream, he finds the drug flowers and says he'll keep them for when his friends come to visit, everyone in Requiem for a Dream is just completely hosed literally and figuratively and the only winner is heroin

Keanu's character doesn't seem to have much hope left on a personal level. but yeah I guess there is hope that the government can find those fields that for some reason they were not allowed to find before, put your faith in the government PKD might say

edit: losing your arm or freedom or sexual agency (or well let's face it Ellen Burstyn's character was probably down for the count permanently) is all bad but Arctor seemed to get the worst deal IMO

Skratchez fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 16, 2019

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Requiem For a Dream is like Happiness where I’m like gently caress that’s a great film but can’t recommend any friends watch it

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Keith Atherton posted:

Requiem For a Dream is like Happiness where I’m like gently caress that’s a great film but can’t recommend any friends watch it

I won't re-watch Requiem, Natural Born Killers or Dancer in the Dark. But y'all should :corsair:

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
Trinkets on Netflix is a perfect example of getting the wrong impression from the description. This is not a show about three teenagers addicted to shoplifting. Not that I was expecting a heist show but it was disappointing how little the shoplifting seemed to matter. There is a "caper" later in the show but it's dragged out with little suspense. The characters and their romantic arcs are paper-thin. I do like that the show including the casting is very LGBT-progressive.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

If you’re a student, work at a university, or are part of a decent public library system you might have access to Kanopy, which has been improving its selection consistently for years

I watched Kurosawas first movie last night, Drunken Angel, and they also have a lot of his other films (can’t find High and Low on a legitimate service though). It was really, really good and made me want to watch his other stuff set in modern Japan.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
The ending to A Scanner Darkly is sadly beautiful, especially with that end text.

I stopped liking Requiem for a Dream after I rewatched it not long ago. I guess my taste in movies changed or something but I found it to be way over the top with melodrama and sensational.

A Scanner Darkly definately held up better.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
The Predator is really goofy and I was not expecting that tone

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

old.flv posted:

The Predator is really goofy and I was not expecting that tone

https://youtu.be/N9YsrGHmwIg

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

:perfect:

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Joe Chill posted:

The ending to A Scanner Darkly is sadly beautiful, especially with that end text.

I stopped liking Requiem for a Dream after I rewatched it not long ago. I guess my taste in movies changed or something but I found it to be way over the top with melodrama and sensational.

A Scanner Darkly definately held up better.

:hai:

RfaD was awesome when I first watched it. It was a full assault on the senses, not like that wussy stuff Aranofsky did with Pi. Now it's just a full assault on the senses and I'm like, okay I get it, heroin is bad.

Scanner is very different.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rotoscoping was such an amazingly perfect fit for the story too, I can't imagine it working nearly as well filmed normally. It just left you in a perpetual state of unease.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is black spot any good? Can anyone vouch for it?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Skratchez posted:

:hai:

RfaD was awesome when I first watched it. It was a full assault on the senses, not like that wussy stuff Aranofsky did with Pi. Now it's just a full assault on the senses and I'm like, okay I get it, heroin is bad.

Scanner is very different.

Glad to see this. I really enjoyed RfaD the only time I saw it not long after it came out. I still remember a lot of details / specifics, it made an impact. But, I feel like it would be less interesting going back to see it at this point. I had thought a few times about doing so but never did. I think I'm content to just let it be what it was.

Speaking of other things that didn't hold up well, I was in the unfortunate position to watch some of the Jay and Silent Bob movies recently and oof, they were already mediocre but that humor did not hold up at all. 'There's Something About Mary' might still be one of the fastest / worst movies that completely is tone deaf and bad now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skratchez posted:

I won't re-watch Requiem, Natural Born Killers or Dancer in the Dark. But y'all should :corsair:

...NBK seems like an odd fit with those two. You should rewatch it, it's a lot more manic and ridiculous than you probably remember it being.

Soundtrack rules, too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I finished Aggretsuko season two and it’s still pretty great overall. I don’t think the karaoke was as good this time around though. I liked the fleshing out of the annoying hippo coworker and Retsuko’s two friends. It’s nice to see her taking more charge of her own life, or at least attempting to. I still hate the new guy at work and am completely unsympathetic to his problems. He sucks!

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...NBK seems like an odd fit with those two. You should rewatch it, it's a lot more manic and ridiculous than you probably remember it being.

Soundtrack rules, too.

I used to love it when I was younger, saw it in theaters, owned the soundtrack (Thanks Mr. Reznor for introducing me to Leonard Cohen) but watching the opening "comedy" scene with Rodney Dangerfield and Juliette Lewis is now a lot harder than it was. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that's fair actually