Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

motherFUCK why isn't that the box art? poo poo's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, those are CG renders. It's unlikely the in-game graphics will come even close to that level of detail.

that's not the point. an artist had to pore over those models god knows how long to get them looking that good and with that much detail, regardless of whether in-game they're much lower poly.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

motherFUCK why isn't that the box art? poo poo's amazing

Box art isn't allowed to be good

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

A fuckin VR musical about the Corpo War holy moley

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CRAYON posted:

Lots of marketing that's targeted at me, and uses a likeness of me, uses of version of that likeness that is really nothing like me or barely resembles me. This does not mean that it is not a likeness.

The problem is that the likeness of trans ladies theyve chosen is a really lovely caricature that plays into a lot of transphobia in the real world.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shoehead posted:

A fuckin VR musical about the Corpo War holy moley

I like the 'Foreign Body' horror flick, it makes sense they write that kind of stories in that setting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Pretty good interview with Pondsmith. Ends up talking more about the pen and paper game than 2077.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9_rjQYByrA

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
I was hoping to be able to play a private detective in the style of Dashiell Hammet's Continental Op after the first gameplay footage suggested that players can actively participate in weird intrigues, doing the Red Harvest-style 'pit all corporations and gangs against one another while fulfilling the letter of contracts' when possible, and it looks like Mike Pondsmith is also a fan of the character, so I'm even more hyped up at this point. Honestly the biggest questions I have at this point is the degree to which we'll be managing relations and the degree to which they'll effect one another; the first round of footage and a lot of dev comments make it sound like there'll be Alpha Protocol levels of choice in allies, enemies, and the relations between the two, so I'm hoping it'll play out this way and isn't just me filtering everything through my desires. Has there been any new information on this aspect of the gameplay emerging out of the E3 coverage/interviews?

On a dumber note, I saw some commentary on the E3 footage covering outfits/player clothing early on; has there been anything else out on that?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

underage at the vape shop posted:

The problem is that the likeness of trans ladies theyve chosen is a really lovely caricature that plays into a lot of transphobia in the real world.

Cyborg trans lady is hot tbh

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Rinkles posted:

Pretty good interview with Pondsmith. Ends up talking more about the pen and paper game than 2077.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9_rjQYByrA

Half my initial hype in 2013 when they did that first announcement was that it might also mean an update to 2020 (although I still play 2e when I can rope in people interested in trying) especially considering the most recent news before that was that Talsorian had almost gone bankrupt, so tabletop stuff is good too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does V have to be young, or can I play a Murder Aunt?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Have any other media corroborated that we might see some kind of gameplay demo footage in August?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ufarn posted:

Have any other media corroborated that we might see some kind of gameplay demo footage in August?

CDPR said they're doing public gameplay at whatever the next thing is.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

JBP posted:

CDPR said they're doing public gameplay at whatever the next thing is.
Gamescom is Aug 21, so August just barely it might look like.

Matwic
Aug 21, 2007

ufarn posted:

Official message from CDPR is not enough?

hidden message from CDPR posted:

Finally, after months of preparation, we can share with you two big things we have been hard at work on — CP2077's cinematic story trailer and a brand new gameplay demo! Yes, yes, we know — for now, the demo is only available to the lucky ones who managed to get tickets to E3 and the rest of you will have to wait until gamescom or the public dev Q&A unveiling stream at PAX in August. Yeah, we can already feel the bashing you're gonna give us online :(. "Why are you not treating us fair", "why is the gameplay not being released right away?". The reason is we want to make the most out of the months of work we put into the demo and first showcase gameplay live at E3 and gamescom. Releasing gameplay right away would make the gamescom presentations pointless and would significantly limit our chance to build hype. Why do we need to build hype? To get more gamers interested in CP2077 and, hopefully, convince them to give it a go. We are putting our hearts and souls into making CP2077 a great game and we would like as many gamers as possible to find out about it and experience its amazing story. Also, hype can turn into sales (after all, we are not a charity), and good sales allow us to grow, take creative risks and deliver new, great games for you to enjoy.

And let’s not forget about one more super important announcement — the release date. Less than a year from now, on April 16th, 2020, you’ll finally be able to sink your teeth into Cyberpunk 2077.

As you probably noticed, we prepared 2 editions of the game. Why only two? Because when we pre-order ourselves, we don’t like to go to Wikipedia to compare content. We have a simple deal: there’s the standard edition, the one we think most gamers will choose, and a limited Collector’s Edition. While we're pretty proud of the CE, we'd like to turn your attention to that first one. Why? Because we have really maxed out the physical capacity of the box with goodies. We think this raises the bar for "standard" and we hope you'll think so, too. Also, since pre-orders are live, you might be wondering if there’s any point in placing an order now. Yes, if you want to give us some extra support. Pre-orders help us build anticipation — the more copies you pre-order, the more likely it is for us to get retail (both digital and physical) behind the game. Therefore, if you like what you see, we will appreciate you "voting yes" for CP2077 with a pre-order. If you are still hesitating though, we would rather you wait for more materials or reviews. Our goal is for you to truly enjoy CP2077 and not regret a pre-order.

Take care and looking forward to seeing you in Night City!
CD PROJEKT RED team

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, those are CG renders. It's unlikely the in-game graphics will come even close to that level of detail.

Those are pretty clearly gameplay models (even if it's the highest cutscene level of detail), if you look at the edge of the character you can clearly see the vertices.

You wouldn't see these sharp edges on a CG trailer model because they would be imperceptable due to such a high number of verts. They might be rendered outside of the engine but that doesn't just magically create detail, you'll probably see this in game.

e; The textures may be higher res and the lighting may not be in-engine but nothing in that screenshot is particularly higher detail than any other triple A game these days so I don't see why it would be.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 14, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think a lot of that detail is also a testament to how far texturing software has come. Great textures can really give the illusions of a detailed model (not that those models aren't detailed), but actually making a lot of those fabric textures has become fairly easy nowadays

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The textures don't even look that high res, they are just overlaid with a detail map is my guess. Very cool regarldess.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
God I hope we'll get something better than a vaguely worded texture setting so we have to figure out for ourselves how many GB of VRAM each takes up.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm scared about how hyped I am for this game.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LeYWTjUMoM

So, the guy starts talking about the Cool stat in this video at around 4 minutes. And it is possibly the most unhype thing I have heard about the game as far as gameplay goes. It basically immediately reminds me of how guns worked in the first Mass Effect.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I haven’t pre ordered a game since I dunno, Skyrim? Maybe I, preordered fallout 4 and that’s why?

I really liked Witcher 3 though and it looks like they are really doing something with this, so maybe I will!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gahh I loving love poo poo like this

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LeYWTjUMoM

So, the guy starts talking about the Cool stat in this video at around 4 minutes. And it is possibly the most unhype thing I have heard about the game as far as gameplay goes. It basically immediately reminds me of how guns worked in the first Mass Effect.

I think it's one of those things that works out great for tabletop, but yea...I hope CDProjekt knows enough to not do a direct translation like ME1 was. Alpha Protocol also went for a similar principle, where if you didn't spec in assault rifles you'd prefer to just pistol snipe everything if you specced into that, but at least that one relied more on the special perk abilities you unlocked.

I do like the theme mentioned before by someone else, that the adverts are cringy, exploitative pop poo poo that are plastered over legit cool art underneath. It jibes with what Pondsmith said about 2077, along the lines of: "Well, the corps' boot that stomped on people might've been lifted a bit by the end of 2020, but by now a new sort of shinier, more acceptable boot has become pretty ubiquitous."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chalks posted:

I'm scared about how hyped I am for this game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m excited to do a Hands-Free playthrough where I just hack the environment and never lift a finger to waltz through the game doing whatever I want.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just want my perfect and literal "have a bullet for free" run

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

hakimashou posted:

I haven’t pre ordered a game since I dunno, Skyrim? Maybe I, preordered fallout 4 and that’s why?

I really liked Witcher 3 though and it looks like they are really doing something with this, so maybe I will!

You should wait for reviews.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The one thing I am always worried about when a game has stealth as an option is that the game will punish you for not using stealth.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The one thing I am always worried about when a game has stealth as an option is that the game will punish you for not using stealth.

I can't remember a CRPG where this happened.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Do you mean punished narratively?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If anything my concern is it's like Wolfenstein where the stealth is there but realized to the same degree as the "normal" guns blazing method

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Do you mean punished narratively?

Either narratively, as in Dishonored where killing people locked you into a more gloomy storyline, or mechanically, as in Human Revolution where you got less XP from taking a direct combat approach than from stealthing around.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

Either narratively, as in Dishonored where killing people locked you into a more gloomy storyline, or mechanically, as in Human Revolution where you got less XP from taking a direct combat approach than from stealthing around.

In the first case, I don't know if i would call that punishment; it's just different. As for the second, guns blazing is generally faster and easier than stealth, so the lowered rewards at least could be justified as a trade off. Plus you get more material loot from killed enemies, and the ability to thoroughly loot the area with no pressure after the dust settles.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

In the first case, I don't know if i would call that punishment; it's just different. As for the second, guns blazing is generally faster and easier than stealth, so the lowered rewards at least could be justified as a trade off, plus you get more material loot from killed enemies.

Literally everyone ends up worse off in a High Chaos playthrough compared to chaos in Dishonored

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm as hype for CP2077 as I was for RDR2, and when I got my sweaty hands on it, I beat the main story in 3 days. I need to contain myself for CP, but drat it looks so good :swoon:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Andrast posted:

Literally everyone ends up worse off in a High Chaos playthrough compared to chaos in Dishonored

Well yeah, but a different narrative isn't neccesarily "punishment for playing wrong". If it was definitely "what you're not supposed to do", why would you do a second Chaos playthrough?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Turns out killing heaps of people has a negative effect on society.

I've never understood the dislike for high chaos. If you like killing people it gives you more people to kill. If you like stealthing you don't have as many people to hide from, making it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I could do without the Deus Ex air vents this time, though.