Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

that said its fine to defacto decline a job after seeing what it is at an interview if you weren't interested in creating simple CRUD stuff at that point in your career

That's cool and all, if you just don't think it's for you then hog wild. I just got the impression from the post that he was surprised that his answer wasn't well received and that it was all some kind of ploy by the interviewer to feel good about themselves, which was almost certainly not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

qhat posted:

Yeah. You weren't rejected because you weren't personally interested in the dumb website, you were rejected because you came across like an rear end in a top hat who'd be a downer to work with since you couldn't feign even the smallest modicum of interest in what he's probably working on.
You’re right about all of that and people shouldn’t follow the example. The guy was probably justifiably proud of his site that solves for many people a problem that I don’t have. In context I thought the interview was heading into “are you psyched about our domain” territory and that may have been an overreaction

FYI there have been more recent interviews where I was able to engage effectively in domain chat

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 13, 2019

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
in the behavioral interview i thought i tanked i leaned a lot on “management’s expectations of their technology team did not align with our preference to [do good work], here are some examples.” i don’t know exactly what my interviewer thought of me but i somehow managed to spend 45 minutes bitching about moron assholes and still get an offer.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

talked with the recruiter. he opened the convo with the ‘i don’t want to waste either of our time so what’s your base’ and i’ve been so fed up with that bullshit and also loving myself by answering it that i just replied with a flat ‘i’m not answering that question’ and letting the air hang. was genuinely ready to hang up but he recovered the convo and eventually came around to telling me what the base pay would be and if that was sufficient to move forward.

it was 55% more than my current base.

‘i think we could make that work’

never say a number. jfc

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
nice article about how interviewing and recruiting became such garbage: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/06/looking-for-a-job-americas-listings-are-inscrutable/591616/

focus is on how useless all those inane "we are looking for rockstar jedi ninjas who are PASSIONATE about marketing analytics" job listings are

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

nice article about how interviewing and recruiting became such garbage: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/06/looking-for-a-job-americas-listings-are-inscrutable/591616/

focus is on how useless all those inane "we are looking for rockstar jedi ninjas who are PASSIONATE about marketing analytics" job listings are

lol

quote:

In a survey ZipRecruiter conducted last year, he says, most employers said they were focusing all their recruiting efforts on job listings themselves. “Instead of doing things like lowering the skills required or improving the pay, it was all about how much they were spending on more job boards or more recruiting solutions,” Siegel says. “There was a real resistance to responding to the market that was telling you that if you want to get good talent, you have to improve your offer.”
"we've spent like 200 grand on on cutesy crypto puzzle billboards on 101 and haven't hired anybody. better put one on 280 also"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

“The ‘Customer Service Hero’ job title isn’t to stand out from other companies; it’s not clickbait for talent,” Shaya Fidel, who works in human resources at Autodesk, told me over email. “When we first created the ‘Hero’ position, we wanted the job title to reinforce that customer support is the lifeblood of everything we do.”

mega lomarf at that general "customer support is our greatest passion" horseshit, but especially at that line coming from autodesk

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Is "mandatory paid overtime" something that will be unavoidable? I keep getting these messages from recruiters on LinkedIn, sounds good, they have like a 4.5 star average glass-door review, and then half the reviews are "lol you have to do mandatory OT a bunch, but management does it too! if you don't really CARE about your work, you won't like it here! XD", 5 stars.

Like I'm not trying to deal with that poo poo.

This was a 4 star review :psyduck:

"Really long hours. Mandatory overtime! Work/Life balance is pretty much non-existent. Once you join FAST, they think they own you and can dictate your schedule. You get paid well for your time, but you will never actually have the time to do anything with the money. If you are single and don't mind working and stashing money away for a few years then it is great, otherwise it can really suck. Clients can be very difficult and downright unreasonable. Project managers receive little to no training so some are good and others are really bad. Not much room for advancement due to relatively flat organizational structure (which is a really nice thing for reporting, just not for promotions)."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scionix posted:

Is "mandatory paid overtime" something that will be unavoidable? I keep getting these messages from recruiters on LinkedIn, sounds good, they have like a 4.5 star average glass-door review, and then half the reviews are "lol you have to do mandatory OT a bunch, but management does it too! if you don't really CARE about your work, you won't like it here! XD", 5 stars.

Like I'm not trying to deal with that poo poo.

This was a 4 star review :psyduck:

"Really long hours. Mandatory overtime! Work/Life balance is pretty much non-existent. Once you join FAST, they think they own you and can dictate your schedule. You get paid well for your time, but you will never actually have the time to do anything with the money. If you are single and don't mind working and stashing money away for a few years then it is great, otherwise it can really suck. Clients can be very difficult and downright unreasonable. Project managers receive little to no training so some are good and others are really bad. Not much room for advancement due to relatively flat organizational structure (which is a really nice thing for reporting, just not for promotions)."

If you get paid for the overtime, then consider "do I want extra money for less freetime?" If you're not getting paid for OT hours, red flag.

e: for the example given, hard loving pass.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paid overtime with a tech salary seems extremely my poo poo. definitely a one or two years horde money situation though.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah really that's on you to decide whether or not you're okay with working an extra 1-2 hours a day, there's nothing inherently wrong with it as long as you're getting nicely compensated for it. Wouldn't be my poo poo though, overtime gets really old after a couple of weeks.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I don't mind doing overtime when I feel like it or I consider something important. Mandatory overtime loving sucks though. At least when it's my choice (or there's enough grey area for me to have that illusion) I feel like a good boy overachiever and can forgive myself the slower periods. When its mandated for everyone its just more drudgery.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

the one thing I learned from factory work is that you can make shifts as long as you want but you’re only getting 8 hours of actual work out of someone. the amount of fuckkng around in a 12 hour shift was absolutely hilarious.

exceptions of course for some quick “lets get this poo poo out the door” or “let’s resolve this emergency” situation

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

bitchtard posted:

the one thing I learned from factory work is that you can make shifts as long as you want but you’re only getting 8 hours of actual work out of someone. the amount of fuckkng around in a 12 hour shift was absolutely hilarious.

exceptions of course for some quick “lets get this poo poo out the door” or “let’s resolve this emergency” situation

You're not getting 8 hours of work out of someone working 8 hours

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

bitchtard posted:

That's interesting but not surprising. I haven't done any actual Work since highschool, but I figured the concept of overtime must have come from there where you could maybe just go on auto pilot.

I know even when I'm working against a deadline I can feel my brain shutting down after only 6 hours of hard concentrating... I can crank out user stories or sit in meetings forever (probably why managers think "if I can do it, they can") but actual productive coding or debugging, forget 12 hour days, I'd just be warming the chair.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I'm extremely fortunate in that my company does not care at all about how much overtime you subject yourself to so now I take mass transit and do all my inbox janitoring on the bus and bill for that time.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i don't get explicitly paid overtime or whatever but the pay has a big performance component and I've always been happy with it - if it was bad i could leave easily enough (i realise in general this isn't a good system!).

in france you seem to accumalate extra holidays via working more than 35 hours a week. i thing it only applies to some people but it seems pretty cool to me, some people end up with 50+ days off a year if you include public holidays and their base holiday.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scionix posted:

Is it a consultancy? I've worked for a couple of those and hated it both times. Consulting is Not For Me, apparently.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Expected overtime is the "I loving quit" line for me. I am willing to do some overtime if everything is hosed, but I expect compensation in return AND that it will not happen often.

What the gently caress is wrong with america?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Xarn posted:

Expected overtime is the "I loving quit" line for me. I am willing to do some overtime if everything is hosed, but I expect compensation in return AND that it will not happen often.

:capitalism:

had a call with a vp of engineering that had either just railed a line of coke or popped a bunch of adderal. dude talked for 15 minutes straight without pause, asked me a question, then launched into another 15 minutes and then the call was over. i hope he filled out the feedback form while he was high as poo poo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

we’re expected to be on call all weekend (unpaid) if we happen to be on the L3 support rota the week of a release. ive been “busy this weekend, sorry” every single time my support has coincided with a release because gently caress you im not giving up a weekend for free

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

we’re expected to be on call all weekend (unpaid) if we happen to be on the L3 support rota the week of a release. ive been “busy this weekend, sorry” every single time my support has coincided with a release because gently caress you im not giving up a weekend for free

lmao that can gently caress off

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I worked at a company that:
A. working extra hours was expected
B. you'd be on call in case something went wrong and had to be in the office for 9 hours a day that week and ready to take calls at home if poo poo hit the fan, including on the weekend (and you were the only one)
C. Hired me as a programmer and stuffed me in data entry in the end.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 14, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Xarn posted:

It's been hmm 19 years at this point but I still remember a Director calling an all staff meeting and announcing, "Saturday is no longer an optional workday."

We were on a hard contractual deadline and made it, it wasn't fun, but the stock did buy my first house in SV. Would I do it now or quit? I don't know. If it was a steady state thing, yes for sure. But...
1) I'd expect it to be better communicated than that. I'm 19 years later and still using that as a demonstration of how not to do it.
2) It'd need to have that clear exit criteria and that reward for doing it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

feedmegin posted:

Is it a consultancy? I've worked for a couple of those and hated it both times. Consulting is Not For Me, apparently.
consulting firms love overtime because the $200/hour they're making on you becomes 300

Hughlander posted:

It's been hmm 19 years at this point but I still remember a Director calling an all staff meeting and announcing, "Saturday is no longer an optional workday."

We were on a hard contractual deadline and made it, it wasn't fun, but the stock did buy my first house in SV. Would I do it now or quit? I don't know. If it was a steady state thing, yes for sure. But...
1) I'd expect it to be better communicated than that. I'm 19 years later and still using that as a demonstration of how not to do it.
I crunched for 31 straight days during the first dot-com boom and ended up with exactly zero extra dollars so it goes both ways

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Hughlander posted:

So, do you think the Director made more, or less than you did?
And do you think he worked more, or less than you did?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Xarn posted:

So, do you think the Director made more, or less than you did?
And do you think he worked more, or less than you did?

More to both, but I'm not arguing any of that. My entire point was go in with your eyes open and gently caress open crunch.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
considering a probably lateral move to a new company cause ~reasons~. would realistically only be there for a year + until i graduate abd pursue computer jobs. would this hurt my resume??

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Eh, if it's a job you had while in school I wouldn't think too much of leaving after you graduate.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

considering a probably lateral move to a new company cause ~reasons~. would realistically only be there for a year + until i graduate abd pursue computer jobs. would this hurt my resume??

this is fine at the start of your career and in this era i’d almost consider normal

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

you're not even graduated yet? people literally won't care like even a tiny amount.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

this is a career transition. i have 12+ years experience in what i currently do

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you’re getting a PhD?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

no i have an associates. i went back to school for a bachelors

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

okay. in that case i've changed my prognosis to people probably won't care like even a tiny amount

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oh it’s a typo for “and” :downs:

(“abd” means “all but dissertation”)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol yeah rapid hops are expected when you’re doing something like this. it takes a bit to get settled into a place you like and most people aren’t lucky enough to nail it on their first try.

it’s only a problem if someone skimming your resume can immediately see a clear established pattern

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

yeah i've seen resumes that i've dumped immediately because it was one job followed by another job 6 months later followed by another job six months later followed by a third job six months after that followed by their application to our company six months after starting at their current company. as long as you're not that guy you are good.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

okay cool thanks. i know our hiring people are pretty biased against less than 2 year work experiences. the original plan was to land a software job or stick it out till graduation but its become pretty toxic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

okay cool thanks. i know our hiring people are pretty biased against less than 2 year work experiences. the original plan was to land a software job or stick it out till graduation but its become pretty toxic

yeah my first job was pretty drat toxic (lol oracle) and i barely made it over a year. it’s fine