Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Does anyone else just not give a gently caress about Le Mans this year? Even Gareth Jones isn’t going and didn’t seem sad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm pretty stoked. Biggest starting grid ever, P2, GTE Pro and GTE Am all look to be good battles, and the P1 privateers should make a good battles, will be interested to see how far they've come from last year. Just because the Toyotas are still likely to walk away at the front doesn't make the rest of the race any less interesting. Just sad we're not gonna see Ginetta with the new engine

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I mean I'd like to see a front-engined Corvette win Le Mans one last time before they go away for good or maybe Jon Bomarito ride the #66 to a win as his career in the very early stages of winding down, but otherwise I think you have to be a pretty serious ELMS fan to be really hyped for the field as a whole

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

an oddly awful oud posted:

I mean I'd like to see a front-engined Corvette win Le Mans one last time before they go away for good or maybe Jon Bomarito ride the #66 to a win as his career in the very early stages of winding down, but otherwise I think you have to be a pretty serious ELMS fan to be really hyped for the field as a whole

Same reason I'm interested. Isn't it also the end of the factory Ford GT program?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Does anyone else just not give a gently caress about Le Mans this year? Even Gareth Jones isn’t going and didn’t seem sad about it.

I’m going to be jet lagged out of my brain watching it this weekend, and I don’t have anything to do but “laundry” and “not work,” so at least it will be entertaining. And I live in a country where the app works so :toot:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I'm always hype for Le Mans but I work this weekend so I'm going to miss a lot of it :(

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Red flag in practice 1 for a huge crash involving Tracy Krohn

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

mactheknife posted:

I'm always hype for Le Mans but I work this weekend so I'm going to miss a lot of it :(
Same. I'm out of town for a wedding in a rural place with poor cellphone service. RIP my auto racing weekend.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

That was incredibly dumb.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

mactheknife posted:

I normally work Saturdays but remembered to ask for the day off for both Le Mans and Nürburgring.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

CactusWeasle posted:

crash involving Tracy Krohn

here is my shocked face -> :geno:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Red flag in practice 1 for a huge crash involving Tracy Krohn

Le Mans getting off to a good start

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It was Krohn's first lap out and he said an LMP2 car came across his nose - on the straight - and hit him, causing him to crash

There is no video footage to prove otherwise :iiam:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is the commentary team on the FIAWEC broadcast any good? I muted them for Radio Le Mans last year and synching wasn't too bad, but I didn't like having to piece together replays of crashes / etc.

I'm still pumped for this even if Toyota will probably run away with the overall win. GTE Pro never fails to be exciting.

Is it worth buying tickets to the 2020 or 2021 race? I want to see a race with the new specs but from the last page or so it sounds like it'll be a mess with no factories.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 13, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Even if the racing isn't great you'd still be in France on vacation.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Is the commentary team on the FIAWEC broadcast any good? I muted them for Radio Le Mans last year and synching wasn't too bad, but I didn't like having to piece together replays of crashes / etc.

I'm still pumped for this even if Toyota will probably run away with the overall win. GTE Pro never fails to be exciting.

Is it worth buying tickets to the 2020 or 2021 race? I want to see a race with the new specs but from the last page or so it sounds lime it'll be a mess with no factories.

Personally I think the WEC commentary is good. They're not as good as Radio Le Mans but that's a pretty high bar.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Allan MacNish and Graham Goodwin are pretty dang good. Not a huge fan of Martin Haven but he's okay. They've also got Peter Dumbreck (flippy Mercedes lad that isn't Mark Webber) and Jim Roller (fmr. IMSA pit lane reporter) for LM this year.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Absolutely nothing can be worse than the Eurosport crew.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The WEC purchase server has poo poo the bed so I can't even give them money.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Tracey Krohn has been told he can't race, astonishingly because of the accident rather than his general garbagemanship.

So the car has been withdrawn because if he can't drive it, he won't pay for it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Not ten minutes ago Eurosport said Krohn was passed fit to drive. Welp thats enough Eurosport for this year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well that screws Pat Long's attempt to set the consecutive starts record for an american.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Cursed image
https://twitter.com/NickiThiim/status/1139098045713399808?s=19

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Confirming I'm 100% better off going with a VPN + FIAWEC's notorious failures at start over Motortrend on Demand?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Nicki Thimm owns

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Shumagorath posted:

Confirming I'm 100% better off going with a VPN + FIAWEC's notorious failures at start over Motortrend on Demand?

FWIW I've not had to use a VPN all week for the wec site from the US.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
So it looks like the new Yeepercar (I learned this pronunciation from Radio Lemans and I'm sticking with it) class is confirmed for next season.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/06/14/aco-confirms-le-mans-hypercar-prototype-regulations-for-2020-21-season.html

I don't think I can manage staying up all night but hopefully I'll manage to watch a good chunk of LeMans, mainly because for some reason I bought the full superseason pass ages ago.

Edit: apparently Aston Martin are already confirmed?

https://twitter.com/astonmartin/status/1139462575396139008

I mean it couldn't be worse than their last LMP1 car right? right???

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 14, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Toyota is also coming in with another hybrid but that shouldn't surprise anyone.
https://twitter.com/Toyota_Hybrid/status/1139489876628451329?s=19

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AKociok/status/1139485620378767360

Anyone want to weigh in on this tweet? I mean he's talking about LMP1 non hybrid right? Surely the motorsport world will be rocked by the lack of Bykolles????

Although this sucks pretty bad and doesn't bode well for the new spec cars being as mental as the current LMP1H
https://twitter.com/Pitlaneandy/status/1139470971881107461

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think he's talking about the fact they're restricting the top class to manufacturer only and then BoPing it to gently caress so everyone wins.

And I'm a little lost what this gives us over just making LeMans GTE only and having 62 of those fuckers running around, especially if they're going to restrict the LMP2s to be barely quicker than GTE anyway.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Well it's not like LMP1H was full of privateers, or even manufacturers (plural)

But it does sound like this new hypercar class is going to suck rear end. I mean we only recently got LMP2's that had enough power to pass the GTE cars and now they want to slow them the gently caress down again.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The ACO is so bad

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

The ACO is so bad

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Well Ford is definitely not in the new hypercar class.
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/ford-rules-out-hypercar-program-dpi-2-0-regs-going-in-right-direction/

quote:

Rushbrook, who was present at Friday’s ACO press conference that confirmed its Hypercar direction, has declared Ford will not pursue an entry in the yet-to-be-named class.
“It was interesting to see the confirmation of Hypercar continuing in the direction they were,” he told Sportscar365,
“We won’t [pursue it] at this point because our principles are relevant, affordable and global. And while it’s global in WEC, it’s not global in allowing competition in IMSA.”
Ford’s decision to forgo involvement in the Hypercar class has left IMSA’s DPi formula as the lone remaining prototype option for the manufacturer, which remains undecided on its short and long-term sports car racing plans.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Work has sent me on a last last minute trip to the circuit, so I'm currently poo poo posting at you all live from the eurotunnel.

I'm so loving pumped I wasn't planning to go this year at all. :toot:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
These rules are complete garbage and I’m sorry, 750hp doesn’t cut it as a “hypercar” when the Corvette C8 Z06 is going to make that much power as a street car.

These things will be slower than current DPi cars, never mind DPi 2.0.

The ACO are such tossers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Just chiming in to agree that the ACO sucks, these rules are bad and they're not gonna accomplish any of their goals.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_fTSnvs9rc

oops

https://us.motorsport.com/lemans/video/toyota-7-crash/447702/

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Crashes follow Maldonado everywhere, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

jesus christ loving black flag him