Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Has this been talked about before - does anyone have any idea how many viewers ROH gets in an average week? I assume somewhere in between Impacts 20k and Raw's 2 million.

A few years ago it was in the range of 400,000. No one knows right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was thinking about picking up tickets to Summer Supercard but both Progress and Shimmer are running shoes that week so lmao

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
So ROH is holding a PPV in Baltimore in 2 weeks.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/ring-of-honor-wrestling/event/1500568FF7516F24

Oh dear...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I’m tempted to go to that lol seeing the prices

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
https://twitter.com/silentpoisin/status/1139602963754864642?s=21

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
#Buzz

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Per Voices of Wrestling, Juice is done with the company, he’s one of many New Japan talent who no longer like working there, and he’s not booked going forward

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Crossposting from the NJPW thread, here's the VOW audio I transcribed

quote:

It appears that Juice Robinson is done with Ring of Honor. You thought I was gonna say New Japan, but I swerved you. It appears as though Juice Robinson will no longer be working with ROH moving forward, he doesn't want to work for ROH moving forward, but we'll see how it all shakes out. But Juice was not happy working for ROH, and he's not booked upcoming for ROH, and it looks like he's done.

To go along with that, I was told that New Japan talent does not like working for ROH, almost unilaterally at this point. They feel it hurts their appeal, and the sense that I got was that maybe it's a situation where they feel they're being overexposed in the West when they work these ROH tours, and then New Japan tries to come and do their own thing, but people already paid money to see them on ROH shows, and ... there's a lot of disinterest among the New Japan wrestlers in working ROH, and a lot of them don't want to do it. Juice Robinson was pointed out specifically to me as someone who's finished with ROH. I don't know what that means for Lifeblood, or David Finlay when he comes back from his shoulder issue, but ... yeah. So that one came out of left field.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sad that these guys can't handle a little buzz.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

you rear end in a top hat chris i assumed you just posted in the wrong thread

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
It's fine Lifeblood didn't need him anyway

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Just bring in Paul London to sub, he’s got experience wearing dumb rear end top hats

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Worked shoot with Enzo and Cass just too much buzz for New Japan SMH

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1139680014134202371

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Sucks but ROH has suffered from an absolute decimation of their talent through wwe and aew and then just being so 3rd rate in their ROH/NJPW MSG show they're riding the wave of no momentum and you don't really know where the next star is going to come from.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
That MSG show couldn't have gone worse for ROH

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
From what I have seen online the Bully Ray stuff has pissed a lot of people off too.

RoH is in trouble right now. They have made a ton of mistakes. I am kind of surprised they didn’t use the leaving talent to help elevate stuff they were going forward with, like Matt Taven. Instead they had that entire build in the mid to lower card with little build outside of their tv which few watch. So when it came about time to crown him champion which they actually did in a timely manor no one cared because the perception from the fan base was he is a mid card geek.

I hope that this causes Sinclair to clean house. All of the front office there needs to get replaced. They need to bring in fresh people with new ideas. With what was said on the Observer about NJPW talent not wanting to work there anymore they seemed to have hosed up that golden goose as well.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Croc posted:

Sucks but ROH has suffered from an absolute decimation of their talent through wwe and aew

Did they really, though? They lost the same people NJPW lost in the Bucks and Cody. Who else was an ROH mainstay who left for AEW?

This is a legit question as I don't follow ROH outside of SA, but it didn't feel like a big talent raid from AEW.

WWE I could see but I also feel like that's always happening year after year and not like they just signed away 80% of the roster in the past month.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cody was a way bigger draw in ROH than he was in Japan

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Did they really, though? They lost the same people NJPW lost in the Bucks and Cody. Who else was an ROH mainstay who left for AEW?

This is a legit question as I don't follow ROH outside of SA, but it didn't feel like a big talent raid from AEW.

WWE I could see but I also feel like that's always happening year after year and not like they just signed away 80% of the roster in the past month.

WWE i'd put as the main culprit but thats been like so many guys for years and years. AEW really is just bucks, cody and omega but that's still a good chunk of tickets. There booking is really not helping and ultimately they're in the same boat as WWE creatively i would say based on the msg show in that they're not building up anything interesting people will pay for.

I actually am the same as you in that i don't follow ROH closely so maybe i am off base on this but that's just from reading and just an opinion and seeing their segments absolutely bomb as MSG.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bucks and Cody were the reasons you tuned into ROH. Scurll and Taven both have stepped up hugely but both those guys die if you don't have them in compelling storylines. They aren't have great matches for the gently caress of it guys, they need context for them to work with.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Chris Daniels is probably the biggest non-Elite talent loss to AEW

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I Before E posted:

The backstage role he could play alone was probably a huge hit to ROH.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The talent and brains currently in ROH and Impact could probably make for a very viable 3rd place fed. But with two feds fighting for third it doesn't seem like it will work. They are both kind of jokes right now.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I Before E posted:

Ohhh I completely forgot about SCU being in ROH. Losing Daniels has to be a big loss on a lot of levels.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The big major problem Sinclair ROH has and will always have is that Sinclair sees it as filler programming and doesnt want to invest money. Which is why over the last 8 years you have so much talent going and I dont think all of them would of left if they got good offers. Add in that Delirious is still booking despite being mostly cold and welp

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

I Before E posted:

I will agree to that. Daniels and Kazarian were long time vets that could be slotted into any place on the card and have the credibility to be able to move into a main event without anyone questioning it. The only guy they have left now that can do that is Lethal and to a lesser extent the Briscoes.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Being clearly behind AEW is hurting ROH more than losing the talent is. They've gone from being a bigger than an indy to just an indy.

It's like how TNA fell apart when they went from being "Hey, maybe we can compete with WWE sometime!" to "Okay, we tried fighting WWE and got our poo poo pushing in hilariously."

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
I think it was rovert on Twitter, but I also believe they poached anyone who was worthwhile from backstage as well, like ring crew and stage manager type roles.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The big major problem Sinclair ROH has and will always have is that Sinclair sees it as filler programming and doesnt want to invest money. Which is why over the last 8 years you have so much talent going and I dont think all of them would of left if they got good offers. Add in that Delirious is still booking despite being mostly cold and welp

They invested a ton of money in talent this winter. The problem isn't the money investment in terms of declining interest.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ganso Bomb posted:

Kazarian and Daniels were big losses too, basically you lost their biggest singles draw in Cody and their 2 of 3 of their biggest tag team draws in the Bucks and Addiction, plus upcoming talent like Page and Skye.

up until 2013/2014 while they were losing talent to WWE, but they were still able to replace it.

Then they decided to piss off everyone on the indies because of their exclusivity deals trying to kill FloSlam which left people deciding that they would rather go the WWN/Evolve route to get into NXT

So for a while they staunched everything by using New Japan and CMLL talent but still couldnt get anyone really over

And then after Cole and reDragon left for NXT, the biggest draws on papaer left were the Briscoes, Bullet Club Elite, Addiction, Jay Lethal, and Dalton Castle. Even then Lethals first title run killed him and hes never recovered, and ROH badly missed the window for Dalton as champion, being bogged down in non ending feuds and finally giving it to him just as his body breaks down and he has to miss tours as champion due to back issues.

So when AEW left, theres basically been nothing great left in ROH, and its all horribly flat.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you had ROH's brand name and TV deal, their best talents, Don Callis and Scott D'Amore as bookers, and a few key talents from Impact you'd really have a pretty killer fed.

ROH's big crime is being boring, which seems it should be easier to recover from than being cringey bad.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bring back Black Machismo in some form or another. At least get Lethal to cut some insane rear end promos so people will YouTube or gif that stuff.

Lethal vs Rush should be absolutely a marquee match up of they get head turning promos from both guys. Cut close to the bone for the fans. Bring the current Mexico US relations into play.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Then they decided to piss off everyone on the indies because of their exclusivity deals trying to kill FloSlam which left people deciding that they would rather go the WWN/Evolve route to get into NXT

So for a while they staunched everything by using New Japan and CMLL talent but still couldnt get anyone really over

And then after Cole and reDragon left for NXT, the biggest draws on papaer left were the Briscoes, Bullet Club Elite, Addiction, Jay Lethal, and Dalton Castle. Even then Lethals first title run killed him and hes never recovered, and ROH badly missed the window for Dalton as champion, being bogged down in non ending feuds and finally giving it to him just as his body breaks down and he has to miss tours as champion due to back issues.

So when AEW left, theres basically been nothing great left in ROH, and its all horribly flat.

I didn't know their exclusivity deals were around trying to kill FloSlam, that's really interesting. Their upper mid card and main event took such a huge hit with the losses of Cole, Roddy and reDRagon. That was also about the time War Machine started working mostly in Japan. They had to lean heavily on SCU and the Elite to bolster the top of their card.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Losing the Elite and SCU is just sort of the final straw, I haven't been following ROH that closely so I may be missing some people still available that they could be pushing but out of the past five years of PPVs this is who they've had main event:

People Still Available to ROH
Briscoes
Jay Lethal
Dalton Castle
Marty Scurll
Colt Cabana
Motor City Machine Guns
Michael Elgin(?)

New Japan Guest Stars
Okada
Sanada
Suzuki
Jay White

People No Longer Available
AJ Styles
Bobby Fish
Kyle O'Reilly
Adam Cole
Roderick Strong
Young Bucks
Tomasso Ciampa
War Machine
Gallows & Anderson
Daniels & Kazarian
Hardy Boyz
Cody
Kenny Omega

The really rough thing for ROH (in addition to the cumulative effect of losing all the people listed above) is that at least in the past when they lost people to other promotions, they were also the natural landing point (or at least stopover) for guys like Joe, Styles, Aries, Daniels, the Hardys, Hero, etc. etc. when they left TNA or WWE/developmental. I can't imagine any of the people listed above (or anyone else on their way out of WWE or New Japan or wherever) deciding to come to ROH.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Just bring back Gabe, ROH.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gabe is a cop now, he’d love it at Sinclair

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Evolve isn't setting the world on the fire either booking wise

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gabe is too busy kissing Hunter's boots to give a poo poo about ROH again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
From what I have heard Gabe has been told that he will be a main player when Vince dies/retires. I am not sure if that means he takes over developmental from Paul or he is a part of the main booking/creative.

RoH really just needs to get shaken up badly. They have talent but the booking has been impossible to get anyone over. Perfect example is Flip Gordon. If that guy wasn’t on BTE and was able to showcase himself he would be another of 25 guys who are generic CAW. And somehow they even managed to squander that by having him feud with Bully for no apparent reason that cooled him off significantly.

They should have used Jay to build up guys that they are looking to build up. You could do the same to a lesser extent with Dalton. Get 3-4 guys looking and feeling credible then elevate them.

They have had 6+ months to plan and execute this in some form and honestly it feels like the same promotion with all of the Elite and SCU matches ripped out of the cards.