Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zesty posted:

Guess your values aren't worth all that much.

They aren't. Chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Beat it tonight on a hardcore file. Took me 3 tries over about ~2 years, but got it done in about a 15 hour playthrough. The highlight of the run was losing a seamoth to a reaper, making a new one, and then watching a shark bump into the side of the new seamoth, clipping it through the world, all within 15 minutes. I built the 3rd one and got back to exploring.

I can't decide if the game isn't as buggy as people say, or if I just know what parts to avoid and what items you can't put into the sub.

Too bad there isn't a steam achivement for beating it like that. I think they didn't want people to try. It was super aggravating losing my 2nd attempt to a thermal vent that just one shot me for swimming over it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm extremely excited for below zero to come out so that the soundtrack will get added to spotify and I can listen to it all the time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

Beat it tonight on a hardcore file. Took me 3 tries over about ~2 years, but got it done in about a 15 hour playthrough. The highlight of the run was losing a seamoth to a reaper, making a new one, and then watching a shark bump into the side of the new seamoth, clipping it through the world, all within 15 minutes. I built the 3rd one and got back to exploring.

I can't decide if the game isn't as buggy as people say, or if I just know what parts to avoid and what items you can't put into the sub.

Too bad there isn't a steam achivement for beating it like that. I think they didn't want people to try. It was super aggravating losing my 2nd attempt to a thermal vent that just one shot me for swimming over it.
When it comes to your game being waylaid by bugs, the game either likes you, or decides it hates you, essentially.

Internet Kraken seemed cursed, even by my personal experience standards of "Now that we're at launch, the intro cutscene killed me with never before seen floating unusable fire extinguisher."

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The dev team did an AMA on reddit, there is nothing major revealed but it's worth a read:
https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/bxlzuk/subnautica_team_ama_asks_us_anything/

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

uPen posted:

I'm extremely excited for below zero to come out so that the soundtrack will get added to spotify and I can listen to it all the time.

You might be interested in watching the composer stream the making of the soundtrack: https://www.twitch.tv/benprunty

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The new update video has some discovery spoilers, but the robo-penguin, giant sea creature, floating fish bowl creature, and the alien teleporter look dope af!

:sun:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So, can we teleport?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

So, can we teleport?

Yes, but requires one green cube per use

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
So, given my usual 'slightly rare item' hoarding tendencies, I'll never be using that, then.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

EimiYoshikawa posted:

So, given my usual 'slightly rare item' hoarding tendencies, I'll never be using that, then.
If we are lucky, they will keep a "slowly, a few at a time" infinity source of cubes five minutes away from the end of the game like Subnautica.

But yeah, did they really make teleporters a consumable cost sink?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think that if they wanted the act of teleportation to have a cost associated with it, it should just take a big gulp of energy so there's a reason to construct high-output power plant types.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

BattleMaster posted:

I think that if they wanted the act of teleportation to have a cost associated with it, it should just take a big gulp of energy so there's a reason to construct high-output power plant types.

As energy focused as this game is, you would think they would have brought along Tesla Wall-Batteries to retain additional juice, which would then be the best mechanic for charging portals instead of having to build X-Nuclear plants

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Section Z posted:

If we are lucky, they will keep a "slowly, a few at a time" infinity source of cubes five minutes away from the end of the game like Subnautica.

But yeah, did they really make teleporters a consumable cost sink?

I mean, I wouldn't mind at all if it was anything I could build, even if it was something that took a lot of time and effort to build. It's the whole 'rare item you can't acquire other than finding it in treasure chests/ruins' status that sets off the same signal my brain was getting when I was in elementary school and finishing the single-digit Final Fantasies without using a single elixer, or even a simple ether often enough, because even in the last dungeon, that 'might need this later...' signal never switching off.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tetrabor posted:

As energy focused as this game is, you would think they would have brought along Tesla Wall-Batteries to retain additional juice, which would then be the best mechanic for charging portals instead of having to build X-Nuclear plants

These were cut content from subnautica 1. It was called the Accumulator

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

These were cut content from subnautica 1. It was called the Accumulator

that sounds like the title of a bad 80s action-scifi flick

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I built a new computer and wanted to give the game a spin. Get to the press any button screen and it crashes no matter what I try. Stupid game, never had so much trouble with getting a game to not be a buggy piece of poo poo.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I built a new computer and wanted to give the game a spin. Get to the press any button screen and it crashes no matter what I try. Stupid game, never had so much trouble with getting a game to not be a buggy piece of poo poo.

Have you tried updating a bunch of various drivers? like the video card drivers?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sure. It’ll either crash to the desktop or completely lock the computer up, fantastic.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
They have some logging in steamapps/subnautica/subnautica_data/ you could check. I've got a debug log and a few others at least.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Sure. It’ll either crash to the desktop or completely lock the computer up, fantastic.

Sounds like a driver or hardware issue

Last time this happened to me it turned out to be faulty graphics card

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I finally finished the story mode of this game and it wasn't a bad game. My only nitpicks were the food and water mechanics became a nuisance towards the end of the game and the backtracking that the game wants you to do towards the end.

I think this game will be a lot of fun to mess around with in creative mode since I can build stuff in areas I tried to avoid the first time.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

blackguy32 posted:

I finally finished the story mode of this game and it wasn't a bad game. My only nitpicks were the food and water mechanics became a nuisance towards the end of the game and the backtracking that the game wants you to do towards the end.

I think this game will be a lot of fun to mess around with in creative mode since I can build stuff in areas I tried to avoid the first time.

A big thing to nullify food is just putting a planter box down in your base/cyclops with bulbo trees and you'll never have food/drink problems again. The tree always drops 9 crops, and 8 will get you to 90+ and you just replace the tree with the last one. You have 4 trees per box so you always have food this way. Also carry like a couple waters and bars in the vehicles for when you gently caress up and wander off too far. You can go everywhere important in the late game in the Cyclops with a little practice.

Melons work too but I found bulbo a lot easier to manage because you don't need to do the seed/melon shuffle or dance around to get all 16 melons out.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 12, 2019

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mazz posted:

A big thing to nullify food is just putting a planter box down in your base/cyclops with bulbo trees and you'll never have food/drink problems again. The tree always drops 9 crops, and 8 will get you to 90+ and you just replace the tree with the last one. You have 4 trees per box so you always have food this way. Also carry like a couple waters and bars in the vehicles for when you gently caress up and wander off too far. You can go everywhere important in the late game in the Cyclops with a little practice.

Melons work too but I found bulbo a lot easier to manage because you don't need to do the seed/melon shuffle or dance around to get all 16 melons out.

Um latern fruit you mean.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mazz posted:

I think if I had to play again, I would just turn survival mode off. Once you know where salt is, it is pretty much never a problem again.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I think if I had to play again, I would just turn survival mode off. Once you know where salt is, it is pretty much never a problem again.

Yeah, I always played on Freedom because I think the survival stuff just interrupts the real draws--the exploration and building.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Salt Fish posted:

Um latern fruit you mean.

Bulbo gives more water, but lantern works great if you drink your own pee.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Bulbo gives more water, but lantern works great if you drink your own pee.

You can put a large planter in the Cyclops and put four lantern trees in it and just pick a few off of each one: they'll never run out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You can put a large planter in the Cyclops and put four lantern trees in it and just pick a few off of each one: they'll never run out.

But Bulbo provides a more balanced diet. Bulbo cuttings give 8/10 Food and Water compared to the 10/3 of the Lantern Fruit. So Lantern trees require supplemental H2O, while a few Bulbos fulfill all the player's needs.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 14, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I just put a larger planter with one of each of the four edible plantings in it into every seabase and every cyclops I build, and that's enough to keep me fed and hydrated in pretty much every circumstance. You really don't need to minmax.

Even if I don't eat the lantern fruit that much, it's still pretty, and even if the chinese potato isn't the best in terms of either hydration or the number available at max per planting, it still grows the fastest (and in RP, is a taste of home, an important psychological factor), and since I started playing, at least, I've never had an errant knife strike while harvesting the last of the four melons to re-plant damage my seabases or cyclops, as they'd already fixed that when I started playing. Bulbo trees don't really have a downside, other than needing a lot of inventory space available when you're very hungry or thirsty, or it gets tedious, and for something you have to replant fairly regularly, they grow very slowly, so if you're going to rely on them as your sole source of food/water, make sure you have more than one.

But yeah, one of each in a large planter, or four small planters, or if you're in a real pinch, just melons and a bulbo in two pots, or more comfortably a melon, a bulbo, and chinese potatoes in three, are always more than enough to eat/drink forever, even while performing strenuous actions in high-food/water drain situations.

(heck, when I'm not really pinched for space, I prefer to grow all the decorative plants in any given seabase's botany room, along with the edibles, too, and even find room for a fern or ming plant and some wall planters with voxel shrub flowers by my bed on the cyclops)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Hey Subnautica fans-- if you have not played The Outer Wilds, do so. ("Wilds"-- not "Worlds")

It's more much more (almost MYST-like) puzzle solving than survival, but it definitely has the "what the loving gently caress is this?" exploration elements of ancient alien ruins that this game had. It also even has a part with giant fukken sea creatures!

10000% recommend for anyone wishing for any fan of Subnatuica.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
When it comes to a decent PC service, that'd be great. Next year for Steam.

XBOX Link

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 14, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zesty posted:

When it comes to PC Steam, that'd be great.

Maybe someday I'll want a game bad enough to bother installing the Epic Store, but not today.

The Outer Wilds does look cool, though. Looking forward to playing it at some point.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I played the original demo of it. It's neat, but doesn't seem like it will have more than a few hours of content. More than 3, less than 10. I might've bought it Day 1 on Steam, but if I have to wait anyway, I'll wait for a sale.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Apparently, it's like ~20 hours. My understanding is that the game goes places.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'll find out next year sometime. :)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought Outer Wilds was going to be short because the planets are so small, but there is a lot of content packed into all of them. Also, you die quite easily so there is a large amount of setbacks. It is well worth a purchase.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The Outer Wilds is about solving a mystery and exploration but you don't get to build a base and such like in subnautica. There is a small but cool ocean planet though. I wish subnautica could have the cyclones and weather like that planet did.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

jeeves posted:

Hey Subnautica fans-- if you have not played The Outer Wilds, do so. ("Wilds"-- not "Worlds")

It's more much more (almost MYST-like) puzzle solving than survival, but it definitely has the "what the loving gently caress is this?" exploration elements of ancient alien ruins that this game had. It also even has a part with giant fukken sea creatures!

10000% recommend for anyone wishing for any fan of Subnatuica.

I bought this because I have poor impulse control and too much time, I wouldn't say it gave me subnautica feelings at all. Far less isolated, no tech/base building or collecting anything that isn't information, way less open-ocean dread.

It IS really cool though, definitely don't regret the purchase. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Outer Wilds definitely reminded me of a more refined Subnautica, in the same way it made me think of a more advanced Myst. Subnautica was an attempt at an underwater minecraft clone clumsily converted to a unique game about exploration and discovery. Outer Wilds went in with this goal and it shows in a tighter, more cohesive gameplay loop.

It doesn't have the specific gently caress the ocean dread, but I definitely got the same feeling. A child is capable of believing that every cave could have a dragon under it. You quickly come to realize that you can mostly predict what's going to be there with a few mundane surprises. Video games let you stave this off but as you play more or learn about how they're made you gain the same nonchalance and it loses some of the magic (even if it becomes more fun in other ways).

But every so often something like Subnautica (for the most part) or Outer Wilds comes along and allows us to feel dread and allure again.