Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Narsham posted:

It's your game; you could set up a bunch of maps and use the standees and figures to play a chess variant if you wanted to do that.

The rules are fairly clear about not setting up monsters in rooms until you open the door. But you can do whatever you want.
The rules are clear that you don't set them up but they're also clear that you do look at the page in the book that shows you where they are. Having one player do this and be coy is way worse than accepting that it's something you can look at. If they wanted them to be secret they could have hidden then behind triggers like they already do for other "secret until you open this door" stuff, but they didn't.

This directly contrasts with the expansion that explicitly works differently and has the rooms on different pages. You can house rule the main campaign to work that way if you want, using the app, but that's still a house rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
You don't have to be coy. You just don't pay much attention to it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Agrias120 posted:

Does anyone have a resource with the Rune/card translations? Not the cipher legend in the box, just the phrases already translated and grouped by source?

This should be what you want.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

You don't have to be coy. You just don't pay much attention to it.

Yeah it's really not that hard to just not look.

It makes things more tense and fun. Opening a door should be terrifying. Spoiling everything is just boring and makes it too easy.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Use the Gloomhaven Scenario Viewer app. It doesn't show what's in the next room which is how Isaac said it should be played. The game would be so much easier with even just minimal knowledge of what's on the other side.

There are frequent forks in the road where you know one is going to be treasure and the other is a dead end. Even a glance at the page during setup is going to give that away.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My second IRL campaign just had our first retirement. Mu Tinkerer, Edward, retired and unlocked Triforce. Hard pass.

I rolled up a Brute because we need a tank/melee role and the Brute is fun. I named him The Iron Bull.

Anyway the main reason I'm posting about this is that his personal quest is to exhaust 12 times to unlock Lightning Bolts. I am super excited about this. Seems like the perfect class to do this with.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Triforce and Brute retired tonight.

Angry Face and Two-Minis unlocked.

Things just got way weirder. :)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Angry Face and Two-Minis seems like a good combo, assuming someone can open the doors for the bear

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 11, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Angry Face and Two-Minis seems like a good combo, assuming someone can open the doors for the bear
HAH!

I am playing Sun, which I think may be perfect. Last class is Cthulhu.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Going from Sun, Two-Minis, Saw to Sun, Two-Minis, Cthulhu tomorrow - should be cool.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

Triforce and Brute retired tonight.

Angry Face and Two-Minis unlocked.

Things just got way weirder. :)

I guess? Your overall dps just went way up.

Our group had that exact party for a while and almost nothing challenged us.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

I guess? Your overall dps just went way up.

Our group had that exact party for a while and almost nothing challenged us.

Hah! Yeah, looking over the new classes ... I am getting that idea. I am playing Sun, so I think I have my work cut out for me and I can also freely go Full Tank without regret

So quick trip report - we decided to run our first dungeon in Casual Mode. We'd blocked it off a long time ago - one of the first we blocked off - and it happened to contain stuff relevant to three of our four party members. (Dungeon 9, personal quests) Triforce just needed 1 more Elite kill; this was a good place for it because there's tons of low-durability Elites. Cthulhu needed vermlings to murder. Brute needed one more boss fight. This had all three. I didn't get any closer to my own goal (watch my allies exhaust) because this dungeon was not hard in the least. The overseer looked scary, but ended up totally ineffectual. The Vermlings kept drawing their Jump/Loot card, which had the unfortunate result (for them) of grouping up in fireball formation, choked around the door. That let the party AoE them to death. We should have run this one at +2, I guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Scenario 79 done with Scoundrel and Two Minis. The first room was a bit of a mess since we were all spread out and my Beast Tyrant by necessity had to take a huge hit from an elite Stone Golem, which was made worse by the fact that my battle goal was to be at full health at the end of the scenario and I was already poisoned from a road event. And the battle goal was essential to me retiring.

Once we got into the boss room it was much smoother. The boss mechanics are pretty poorly explained in the text but it's a neat idea at least. Somehow clawed back enough health to retire

And now we're trying 2P Scoundrel and Music Note, which can work right? Right?

At least we're Prosperity 6 and I've got like 10 starting perks between starting level and previous retirements.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 11, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Actually it can at those levels.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So now that our party is composed of Angry Face, Two-Mini, Cthulhu, and Sun - I think it might finally be time to tackle Scenario #81 and win it this time.

Mild spoilers for those classes, triforce, and Scenario 81: Last time was the first outing for Triforce at Level 4, and it did not go well at all. But now that only two of us really interact with elements at all - and we will be fed the two most important ones - I think we'll have a drat good chance. Also one of Angry Face's L2 cards should be pretty clutch, here.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

So now that our party is composed of Angry Face, Two-Mini, Cthulhu, and Sun - I think it might finally be time to tackle Scenario #81 and win it this time.

Mild spoilers for those classes, triforce, and Scenario 81: Last time was the first outing for Triforce at Level 4, and it did not go well at all. But now that only two of us really interact with elements at all - and we will be fed the two most important ones - I think we'll have a drat good chance. Also one of Angry Face's L2 cards should be pretty clutch, here.

Oh poo poo you have Cthulhu too? Yeah you're gonna steamroll that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh poo poo you have Cthulhu too? Yeah you're gonna steamroll that.
That's the hope; I think we will end up trying it tonight, maybe. It's been our white whale since our first venture, there - spoken of only in hushed whispers. We were originally waiting for Triforce to get Vengeance but now that they retired... Well, I am liking our odds.

My only worry is that two mini's bear will run headlong into the artillery fire danger zone and explode, so that will be the only tricky part. I will have to try and keep up with its suicidal aggression. Also we already looted the chest on our first failed run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

We did #81 with Sun and Angry Face and it worked really well for the reasons you guesses.

As for your concern about Two Minis you can always swap the enemies around.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We did #81 with Sun and Angry Face and it worked really well for the reasons you guesses.

As for your concern about Two Minis you can always swap the enemies around.
Oh gosh that's ridiculous, and I love it.

Actually, with me as Sun, I love that idea even more.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

That's the hope; I think we will end up trying it tonight, maybe. It's been our white whale since our first venture, there - spoken of only in hushed whispers. We were originally waiting for Triforce to get Vengeance but now that they retired... Well, I am liking our odds.

My only worry is that two mini's bear will run headlong into the artillery fire danger zone and explode, so that will be the only tricky part. I will have to try and keep up with its suicidal aggression. Also we already looted the chest on our first failed run.

Your biggest worry should be jumping over the obstacle and traps.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

Your biggest worry should be jumping over the obstacle and traps.
I forget the exact room layout, but Cthulhu has an item that can deal with the 2nd thing, at least!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Has anyone tried the new expansion yet? If so, how is it?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ChiTownEddie posted:

Has anyone tried the new expansion yet? If so, how is it?
We are a good long way away from the campaign itself. I have heard that it's harder than the base campaign, that it's got a lot of puzzles, and that it's more or less designed to showcase the Diviner class's strengths, to the point where the Diviner feels a little like the 'DM's pet' or a DMPC.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Okay! Sun/Cthulhu/Two-Mini/Angry Face, Scenario 81 trip report!

This loving dungeon.

We beat it - it got down to the wire, because we went at +1 difficulty with the two newbies still underlevel, but we beat the fucker.

Everything was smooth sailing mostly, until the last room. Except how Two-Mini drew a Null on every single big attack he was making, that is. Seven times, this scenario. It's some kind of record, I think, for us. Angry Face was having trouble dealing with his weird mobility, but Two-Mini did the 'active' route instead of 'all bear' route, and it worked out great.

But that loving boss, y'all. It is the hugest pain in the rear end. Fortunately, Angry Face kept him from going Invisible, but that didn't stop him from summoning a fuckload of demons, healing himself, and having the demons he'd previously summoned heal him some more. I think we had to do about 80 damage to him, all told. Everything went from 'hunky dory' to semi-panicked there near the end. I tanked like a motherfucker, tho, with the high point being when I reduced a 9 attack to 1 damage. And my retaliate did its job real drat well.

Anyway. We won. If we'd gone at Normal instead of Hard I think we might have smoked it. Likewise, if two-mini wasn't robbed of about 30-40+ damage from chain-drawing nulls.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Morthai posted:

Many players encountered the problem to draw the personal goal "Seeker of Xorn" after finishing all crypt scenarios already, which lead to some frustration. So instead of playing old crypts again in casual mode - I present 3 bonus crypt scenarios for free. Simply print out these scenarios and events and you are good to go. Hope you will enjoy them.

Add the Seeker of Xorn Event 1 on top of your town event deck if you choose the Seeker of Xorn personal goal. This event will allow you to encounter these new crypt scenarios during your campaign.

Events:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/483itimpzsx0ojy/SoX%20Events%201-4.pdf?dl=0

Quests:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1k8lp9mbc1g0yv/SoX%201-3.pdf?dl=0

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So what happens if you get far enough to enhance your character's cards with stickers, retire them, then eventually someone else wants to play that character? Can those stickers come off?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So what happens if you get far enough to enhance your character's cards with stickers, retire them, then eventually someone else wants to play that character? Can those stickers come off?

They keep the enhancements. It's meant as a long-term bonus.

If you have the reusable sticker pack you could remove them.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

They stay, though I’d probably house rule that you can remove and replace them if you hit your enhancement limit. Or that you can enhance more cards but can only bring L enhanced cards into battle. If you’re at the point where it matters though, you’ve probably broken the game anyways so do whatever you want!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The stickers stay on the card forever and the next person just gets better cards, from my understanding.

Unconnected, but the seeker of Xorn goal or whatever it's called is both cool and loving bullshit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

poo poo double post but I've been meaning to ask and I just remembered :

What are the specific differences between jumping and flying? I knew that landing with a jump in difficult terrain cost extra movement as normal, but then I reread that flying can land on obstacles? Are there other differences I'm forgetting? If someone flies onto a bookcase or whatever, can people in adjacent hexes melee attack them?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jump has to treat the last hex as normal movement, meaning you will trigger traps, get damaged by hazardous terrain, pay extra for moving into an difficult terrain, be unable to end in an obstacle, etc.

You can still attack and be attacked if you are flying on an obstacle.

Page 19 posted:

Move X (Jump) allows the character to ignore all figures and terrain effects during their movement. However, the last hex of a jump is still considered a normal movement, and so must obey the normal movement rules.

The “Flying” special trait allows figures to completely ignore any figures and terrain tiles during any part of their movement, including the last hex, except that they still must end their movement in an unoccupied hex (no figures present).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So a flying move could actually end in a trap and not trigger it?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Correct. Fliers completely ignore all terrain tiles. The only way to make a flier take damage from a trap is to make it not a flier any more, and I don't think there are any ways to do that to enemies at least in the base game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Zurai posted:

Correct. Fliers completely ignore all terrain tiles. The only way to make a flier take damage from a trap is to make it not a flier any more, and I don't think there are any ways to do that to enemies at least in the base game.

There totally is in one of the unlockable classes. lightning bolts

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Zurai posted:

scoundrel has an ability to basically throw a trap at a monster, that can hit flyers

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh yeah, I played Gloomhaven for the first time last week. It was a group of three, and it went REALLY well. We all really enjoyed playing it, I thought maybe all the rules and just the giant box of stuff would be daunting but everything came together really well. Everyone wants to play again this weekend. Our starting team is Scoundrel - Spellweaver - Tinkerer, which I think could pose a problem since none of the characters are big "tanks" and they all seem to be ranged characters or ranged/support for tinkerer.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Oh yeah, I played Gloomhaven for the first time last week. It was a group of three, and it went REALLY well. We all really enjoyed playing it, I thought maybe all the rules and just the giant box of stuff would be daunting but everything came together really well. Everyone wants to play again this weekend. Our starting team is Scoundrel - Spellweaver - Tinkerer, which I think could pose a problem since none of the characters are big "tanks" and they all seem to be ranged characters or ranged/support for tinkerer.

There are no tanks in Gloomhaven. You don't have either of the characters with the most HP, but the Tinkerer is the main healer and has the biggest hand, so they can be the "tank" of your group.

Scoundrel is melee single target DPS and Spellweaver is ranged multi-target DPS. Your party should do fine, as long as the Tinkerer knows how squishy you guys are.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You need some way to manage incoming damage which means some combination of CC, high burst damage, healing, and tanking.

One particular locked class is absolutely capable of tanking.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I was trying to avoid spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Extremely accurate Sun class spoilers, stolen from the internets: