Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are some of the biggest events that have "exposed" the business? Things like Austin giving the worst Schoolboy to Owen after his neck broke, or anything involving David Flair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are some of the biggest events that have "exposed" the business? Things like Austin giving the worst Schoolboy to Owen after his neck broke, or anything involving David Flair.

https://www.apnews.com/eca94e958509fcd2842cc0a384056ae3

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I forget the website but it had a bunch of news articles of back in the day of "is wrestling fake?". My favorite took place around the early 1900's there were 2 guys throwing punches at each other for 2 hours in some wild brawl before they escaped into some caravan for a half hour, came out visibly drunk and continued brawling for another hour.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The business was already hell of exposed but Vince did a cold open on RAW one night and basically said "hey, we all know this is stupid and fake so now that we have that out of the way let's get down to what you're really here for" and it ruled

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What is considered to be the best Goldberg match? The DDP Halloween Havoc match seems pretty good. It feels like it's all DDP but still.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Goldberg vs Scott Steiner at Fall Brawl 2000

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I liked his AJPW stuff, short and sweet matches.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What is considered to be the best Goldberg match? The DDP Halloween Havoc match seems pretty good. It feels like it's all DDP but still.
Cagematch has his highest rated by both Meltzer and the fans on the website as Goldberg vs Scott Steiner from Fall Brawl 2000. I'm not sure if I've seen it or not, but to be better than the DDP match must make it kinda impressive?

I'm still a fan of the WM33 match against Lesner because it was just a quick five minute match and nobody expected it at the time.

Bias, but he had a good Ladder Match against Scott Hall at Souled Out 1999 in which they never showed the backstage stuff to us in the live crowd so Goldberg was just walking with a limp and all we had to go on was "Goldberg slipped on his piss" from Scott Hall's promo before the match

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 15, 2019

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

TTBF posted:

Goldberg vs Scott Steiner at Fall Brawl 2000

I'll have to watch it again but I also can't look past BUT GOLDBERG REFUSED TO FOLLOW THE SCRIPT as part of the build. And is this the Vince Russo brain surgery match?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

RealFoxy posted:

I'm still a fan of the WM33 match against Lesner because it was just a quick five minute match and nobody expected it at the time.

Bias, but he had a good Ladder Match against Scott Hall at Souled Out 1999 in which they never showed the backstage stuff to us in the live crowd so Goldberg was just walking with a limp and all we had to go on was "Goldberg slipped on his piss" from Scott Hall's promo before the match

I remember the Lesnar match being good and the latter sounds really funny.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'll have to watch it again but I also can't look past BUT GOLDBERG REFUSED TO FOLLOW THE SCRIPT as part of the build. And is this the Vince Russo brain surgery match?

No clue. I just recalled that match getting ****1/4 from Dave when I was looking for Goldberg's best match last year.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Raven vs Goldberg at Nitro was a really good match IMO as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHucO5nKAdg

It wasn't a typical Goldberg squash and this was almost the peak of Goldberg's popularity. Shouldn't be a shocker since Raven and Goldberg are involved but there's a lot of shots to the head including Goldberg ramming his loving face into a chair instead of protecting himself

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

bartok
May 10, 2006

Is there a reason why WWE doesn't treat the KSA events like house shows and just not air them on their network or promote them on air?
It would still be a super lovely place to hold an untelevised house show but it wouldn't seem quite as lovely if they were hush hush about it like when a Nicki Minaj or a Jennifer Lopez are hired to perform at the birthday party of some horrific dictator.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

bartok posted:

Is there a reason why WWE doesn't treat the KSA events like house shows and just not air them on their network or promote them on air?
It would still be a super lovely place to hold an untelevised house show but it wouldn't seem quite as lovely if they were hush hush about it like when a Nicki Minaj or a Jennifer Lopez are hired to perform at the birthday party of some horrific dictator.

Propaganda doesn't work if it's not broadcast.

Edit to be more clear: The shows are not in any way for the people of KSA. KSA paid WWE an obscene amount of money to create 5 hour commercials for KSA that happen to feature wrestling. The first one had literal propaganda videos shown on the stream iirc.

Critical fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 15, 2019

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

bartok posted:

They're not being paid hundreds of millions of dollars to put on wrestling shows. The money is for them to show propaganda in the US for Mohammad bin Salman and Vision 2030.

And just to add to that, WWE probably wouldn't be facing as much criticism and anger if they were just holding wrestling shows there. People wouldn't be happy, but it would be a very different situation from accepting money from the government to be part of their propaganda that is being used to cover up literal genocide.

Big Bidness fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 15, 2019

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
yeah they only stopped putting glowing ksa propaganda into them when the crown prince went and had a wapo journalist chopped into little pieces, but they'd already paid for the rest of the propaganda shows so what's a poor multinational entertainment corporation to do?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Big Bidness posted:

They're not being paid hundreds of millions of dollars to put on wrestling shows. The money is for them to show propaganda in the US for Mohammad bin Salman and Vision 2030.

And just to add to that, WWE probably wouldn't be facing as much criticism and anger if they were just holding wrestling shows there. People wouldn't be happy, but it would be a very different situation from accepting money from the government to be part of their propaganda that is being used to cover up literal genocide.
One of the more weirdly (as opposed to generally) hosed up aspects of the deal is that you can absolutely make an argument that long-term, WWE is benefitting from the Khashoggi murder and the fallout thereof. The deal is still in place with all of the money coming in, and it's still gross for the aforementioned reasons...but they've done three shows and the outright propaganda was only on the first one. It's still the deal, it's still clearly what WWE signed up for, and it's still beneficial to the KSA because it shows a global entertainment brand flocking to them twice a year to talk about how much they love the Saudi fans, but the most obvious, surface level, on the broadcast gross stuff only happened on the first show and got junked because of how bad it looked internationally post-Khashoggi.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wouldn't be shocked if they phase that poo poo back in over the next 12 months, though.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
WWE supports the same values as KSA, they've made two separate jokes mocking Khashoggi's murder, and Vince absolutely despises outside influence in his company. They already weathered the John Oliver storm without a scratch, why would they stop or slow down?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Low Desert Punk posted:

WWE supports the same values as KSA, they've made two separate jokes mocking Khashoggi's murder, and Vince absolutely despises outside influence in his company.

What?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they had a segment after a promo for the saudi arabia show where bray wyatt dismembered a doll and then apparently at the show itself baron corbin cut a promo about how heads are going to roll (saudi arabia regularly beheads people for horrific crimes, like being gay, or being a woman who wants basic human rights, or being ten years old)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was asking about the jokes, I’m aware of the KSA’s reputation, it’s why we finally got rid of our Network account. And thank you.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

those were the jokes. im not fakeposting,

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hmmmm, tried voting with my wallet.
Voting with your wallet is bullshit unless you have about 1.5 trillion votes in your wallet.
What now?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

ChrisBTY posted:

Hmmmm, tried voting with my wallet.
Voting with your wallet is bullshit unless you have about 1.5 trillion votes in your wallet.
What now?

Find some good things (i.e., not WWE) and vote for them with your wallet instead. That way they can continue to be good :)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Gaz-L posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if they phase that poo poo back in over the next 12 months, though.
Me neither. But right now, they have a good cudgel of bullshit that they can swing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Cudgel of bullshit is a quality turn of phrase.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i was just thinking how much i wish i could see the meeting between vince and co when they thought for sure that they were gonna be able to sign the elite and went ahead and bragged about it on raw.

what's a backstage wrestling moment you wish you could be a fly on the wall for and please dont say when bruiser brody got murdered

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Also, I might be making this up but didn't Steph crack out a line about how "dismemberment is a corporate liability" as well?

shiksa posted:

i was just thinking how much i wish i could see the meeting between vince and co when they thought for sure that they were gonna be able to sign the elite and went ahead and bragged about it on raw.

what's a backstage wrestling moment you wish you could be a fly on the wall for and please dont say when bruiser brody got murdered

Vince chasing Gerry Brisco (?) around with a piece of poopy underwear on a stick definitely comes to mind.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

shiksa posted:

This happened? I remember they thought they were gonna' sign 'em. I don't remember them mentioning it publicly.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

all the powerful people came to the ring to take credit for big upcoming changes in the coming weeks when all kinds of cool poo poo would happen but then nothing changed at all so they just looked like crazy liars which is true anyway. so they may have just been crazy liars and it could very easily have had nothing to do with kenny omega

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

shiksa posted:

what's a backstage wrestling moment you wish you could be a fly on the wall for

Vince walking into Bret's locker-room after the Montreal Screwjob for sure.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

STONE COLD 64 posted:

they had a segment after a promo for the saudi arabia show where bray wyatt dismembered a doll and then apparently at the show itself baron corbin cut a promo about how heads are going to roll (saudi arabia regularly beheads people for horrific crimes, like being gay, or being a woman who wants basic human rights, or being ten years old)

the most notable one is the "dismemberment is a corporate liability" which happened just a couple of weeks after the assassination iirc

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
To go back a page; my first ever wrestling show was a random ICW show where I went with a friend and got very drunk post-exams and all I remember was a Viper-Kay Lee Ray match that was very good and then they became my favourites and probably are why I’m a fan of women’s wrestling. I mean it was probably not one of their better matches since they’ve wrestled a million times but I really enjoyed it.

First vaguely-major card I went to was the first ROH show in Edinburgh which was interesting - highlights included seeing Naito a week after he won the G1 and Mistico, Ultimo Guerrero and other great CMLL dudes.

quote:

Kenny King defeats Colt Cabana and Josh Bodom
The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) defeat Rey Bucanero & Ultimo Guerrero
Bully Ray defeats EVIL by DQ
Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, SANADA & Tetsuya Naito) defeat KUSHIDA, Mistico & Titan
Hiromu Takahashi defeats Mark Haskins
ROH World Six Man Tag Team Title Match
BULLET CLUB (Hangman Page, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) defeat Dalton Castle & The Boys (Brandon & Brent) (c) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
BULLET CLUB (Cody & Marty Scurll) defeat The Addiction (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian)
Silas Young defeats Jay Lethal

This might not seem like much but its Scotland so we don’t get a lot of non-WWE major people often.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bully Ray defeats EVIL makes me so angry just reading it :argh:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Question from a friend:

quote:

I've only been following the GHC Heavyweight title for the last year or so, still very far behind. How is the rest of NOAH doing? Have the Juniors recovered from losing Ishimori? Is the tag division doing anything good?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

super macho dude posted:

Question from a friend:

They probably have the best junior division in Japan right now, especially when it comes to the junior tag division. The tag division has also been fantastic, Go Shiozaki and Katsuhiko Nakajima have teamed up as AXIZ and are easily tag team of the year.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
what living wrestler has had the most opponents who are now dead? it's probably some old luchador if i had to guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

if you mean active wrestlers and count a match within the past 12 months as active, the two that would come to mind would be mil mascaras and dory funk jr. both have been wrestling since the mid 1960's and were big enough stars to be active in multiple regions throughout the world. mil might have the edge as while both were stars in the us and japan dory never did much in mexico afaik.