Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

RIP Paul Walker posted:

New member of the fleet: 4th gen 3sgte swapped NA, done by Prime and seems fully sorted. Agreed to buy it, doing the transaction later today. So. Excited.

I remember years ago when Prime just used to be known for these swaps, now I think they've changed into some wierd moneylaundering scheme where they give away cars in competitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

track day bro! posted:

I remember years ago when Prime just used to be known for these swaps, now I think they've changed into some wierd moneylaundering scheme where they give away cars in competitions.

Hmm....

Also this thing is fast. I forgot how much I like fast cars.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

New member of the fleet: 4th gen 3sgte swapped NA, done by Prime and seems fully sorted. Agreed to buy it, doing the transaction later today. So. Excited.

This thing is goddamned beautiful and I am seething from my sedate lifestyle in DadLand.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The MisterTwo, Bugeye, and SWB 70 series all posted are very excellent.

I haven't posted a pic of my LX 470 in like a week or two so have some updated photos!

I got my tent last week and I was very excited to get it installed. I popped it up so it could air out all the plastic smells.

and naturally the kids wanted to have a look

It is like the coolest tree house of all time.

The day after installing the tent I promptly drove out of town and didn't even use the tent because we were ~*gLAmPinG*~ in a tiny cabin for our 10th wedding anniversary (it ruled btw)

This was after over 850 miles traveled

The transformation is coming along GREAT. More maintenance has been performed (and chronicled). I think in the next few weeks I will have enough content to start my thread.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Cross posting from my own thread but I've had this pickup for a couple of months now and still loving it. Used 2015 at about 42k miles now. Not bad to drive and park around Denver, not as legit as my bench seat regular cab stick shift 4x4 flatbed, but a lot more livable and love the size of the backseat.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I don’t like red cars or gold wheels but I love red cars with gold wheels.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I hope decal packages come back, looks great!

I am also cross-posting:

:krad: 1991 Suzuki Every Turbo Aero-Tune. Turbocharged, intercooled, 5 speed manual 660cc 3 cyl fuel-injected 4-valve-per-cylinder AWD from-the-factory-body-kit tiny van. I have been waiting for one of these for a long long time, now I finally will have one. In a couple months.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Car just came back from paint correction and Ceramic coating. It looks p. good.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

TheFonz posted:

That color rules, nice car

doogle
May 24, 2003

TheFonz posted:

If you don't mind can you tell us how much you paid and what level of ceramic coating (ie lifetime, 5 year, etc.)? I am very interested in getting this done to my SS which is a similar sized car and I'm getting widely varying quotes (from $1500-6k for paint correction and lifetime ceramic coating).

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

doogle posted:

If you don't mind can you tell us how much you paid and what level of ceramic coating (ie lifetime, 5 year, etc.)? I am very interested in getting this done to my SS which is a similar sized car and I'm getting widely varying quotes (from $1500-6k for paint correction and lifetime ceramic coating).

It was $1199 + taxes and I tipped the guy who did the correction. Normal price is $1499, owner was doing a memorial day sale. The shop uses Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra so it's a 9 year coating. They want me to bring it in for a hand wash and to check the coating every 6 months. I was doing a lot of hemming and hawing and jumped when he offered a 20% off sale.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

TheFonz posted:

It was $1199 + taxes and I tipped the guy who did the correction. Normal price is $1499, owner was doing a memorial day sale. The shop uses Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra so it's a 9 year coating. They want me to bring it in for a hand wash and to check the coating every 6 months. I was doing a lot of hemming and hawing and jumped when he offered a 20% off sale.

I have been very curious about this since it is still a little bit of voodoo and I have seen too many amateurs posting about their services on Facebook to keep me from taking the bait. I would be interested to hear more about how well it holds up with whatever your normal wash routine ends up looking like. I know meatpimp has done some good stuff DIY with his older SUV and I have considered the same for my Lexus but I think I would need to have a professional (read: expensive) apply a good coating to the M3. I am not ready to drop that many dollars for that car yet. Handwash and wax will suffice for now.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have been very curious about this since it is still a little bit of voodoo and I have seen too many amateurs posting about their services on Facebook to keep me from taking the bait. I would be interested to hear more about how well it holds up with whatever your normal wash routine ends up looking like. I know meatpimp has done some good stuff DIY with his older SUV and I have considered the same for my Lexus but I think I would need to have a professional (read: expensive) apply a good coating to the M3. I am not ready to drop that many dollars for that car yet. Handwash and wax will suffice for now.

In my totally scientific testing(driving in the rain), there was a noticeable difference between the hydrophobicity of normal wax and this ceramic coating. I drove in heavy rain, and parked it without doing anything about the water on it. It has water spots on the read bumper and that's it. I'll powerwash it today and foam lance it and let you know. I'm really interested in seeing it in 2 years more than anything.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Finally ready for some driving.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Grakkus posted:

Finally ready for some driving.

Brilliant; I love this. You did a fantastic job restoring it!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I hope decal packages come back, looks great!

I just came back from a vacation to JDM land. I loved all of the very non-descript names given to the various flavors of van that proliferate in Japan: Boxy, Roomy, Every, Voxy ect. I also appreciate the HiAce(?) worktrucks that comboed ladder/glass/pipe racks with "sport" packages and ground effects that seemed to be popular.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

To be honest, you don't have to get the $1k+ packages to get the goodness of coatings. 95% of the price is the correction of the paint (that also does 95% of the "wow" from how coatings look). On a daily driver that is bound to get brushed up against, leaned on, get small dings etc you could just slap on something like CQuartz UK 3.0 that will last years if properly maintained, but won't be a nightmare to remove. It kinda depends on what you want to get out of the coating. If it's just the easy cleaning, and you don't care about some swirls here and there, you could slap a coating on there and enjoy it. :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Guess which one's mine! :haw:

(the tires aren't even against the curb)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I really hope you have an array of sunglasses spread across the dash a la the opening to Gone in 60 Seconds. (1974)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy poo poo, now I wanna see that sled lowered.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Holy poo poo, now I wanna see that sled lowered.

MF SAME

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't do a static drop because it just barely gets into my garage as is.

The notch at the back is probably tall enough that i could put the stainless steel in the dirt, but the car at that point is only 35.5 inches high, with 12 inches of ground clearance. so with the tires touching the underside of the hood, i could only have ~23 inch tall tires.

It looks loving amazing, but it's drat near low-pros on the stock 15" wheels, which is the smallest you can run because of the size of the rear drums.

I was actually thinking of.....moving in the other direction.

https://www.rbauction.com/michelin-qty-of-2-44565r225-tire-unused?invId=11297700&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2019133

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That is fuckin dope

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That thing is loving gangsta

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Yesterday was my last day with my 16 club edition.

Hello new adult car, you're a 2.0T with a stick. I'm excited to ktune you this week.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got my truck high centered on the rear axle halfway between Greenwater, WA and Easton, WA near Tacoma Pass. That was fun! Took this before that all happened. It's gorgeous up there!

Maybe my 33" tires need to be more like 35". Pretty sure there's room... Other than the clearance issue while doing inadvisable things, the Super Doody masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb! The 6.8L crawls uphill terrain at idle. I have to rein it in with the brake lol.

Bonus recent photo of the RX-7 out in the city:

I've been working on a custom digital gauge pod for my double-din hole. Gonna use a Pi3, a 7" touchscreen, and a DIY'd CAN-bus. Rendering it with React into Blessed as a perfectly-80s terminal application running on my center console :)

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 19, 2019

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

nerdrum posted:

Yesterday was my last day with my 16 club edition.

Hello new adult car, you're a 2.0T with a stick. I'm excited to ktune you this week.

Very nice. I have a 19 Si with the 1.5t and it’s getting KTuned tomorrow. I almost went with the Accord Sport but I balked at the price jump

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

clutchpuck posted:

Bonus recent photo of the RX-7 out in the city:

I've been working on a custom digital gauge pod for my double-din hole. Gonna use a Pi3, a 7" touchscreen, and a DIY'd CAN-bus. Rendering it with React into Blessed as a perfectly-80s terminal application running on my center console :)

Nice first gen.
The gauge stuff sounds interesting. I've wondered why there isn't a decent customizable dash out there that didn't cost a fortune. All the ones I see are really expensive, only work with a particular ECU, or only OBD2, or combinations thereof. It's also possible that I'm a cheapskate, but SOCs/microprocessors and touchscreens really aren't that expensive. At this point, I just lack the skill (mostly electronics design and programming) to build what I want (accepts standard analog gauge inputs, maybe GPS for speed, to keep it generic.)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looks great! Selling my 81 RX-7 is probably my biggest automotive regret.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, I regret selling my '83 GSL and '84 GSL-SE. I will never sell this '85 GS.

Darchangel posted:

Nice first gen.
The gauge stuff sounds interesting. I've wondered why there isn't a decent customizable dash out there that didn't cost a fortune. All the ones I see are really expensive, only work with a particular ECU, or only OBD2, or combinations thereof. It's also possible that I'm a cheapskate, but SOCs/microprocessors and touchscreens really aren't that expensive. At this point, I just lack the skill (mostly electronics design and programming) to build what I want (accepts standard analog gauge inputs, maybe GPS for speed, to keep it generic.)

I'll have the code on a public github repo. I'm focusing on prep for a 500 mile off-grid dirt bike ride now but after that I am going to start cobbling together hardware for my CAN. AEM makes a thing like I'm working on; a whole CAN bus digital dash set up for carbureted cars.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 20, 2019

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I, too, deeply regret having to sell my '85 GS. gently caress I miss having a rotary.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

I, too, deeply regret having to sell my '85 GS. gently caress I miss having a rotary.

I see that you did not say you miss ‘driving’ a rotary.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Terrible Robot posted:

I’m on my seventh RX7 and my first actually drivable FB, and I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of it. Just got antique plates for it so no more annual registration or inspection fees!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Picked up the wagon from a shop that specializes in ceramic coatings. This is the cleanest this car will be for the rest of its life.

Bonus find: hey, these wheels are gloss, not matte!

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

Tremek posted:

Picked up the wagon from a shop that specializes in ceramic coatings. This is the cleanest this car will be for the rest of its life.

Willing to share what shop and cost? I’ve been thinking about doing a ceramic coat on the Stingerand have only looked in Colo Springs so far.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tremek posted:

This is my vote for best car in AI

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

incels interlinked posted:

This is my vote for best car in AI

Best modern car.
We have some amazing classics owned by dudes up in this bitch.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Best modern car.
We have some amazing classics owned by dudes up in this bitch.

Fair distinction!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Come on, guys, i'm right here :3:

Experimenting with camera mounting to take you guys for a drive with me

Tremek posted:

Absolutley gorgeous.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

:hmmyes:

While it isn't nearly as shiny, I did just end up buying this: