Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

double nine posted:

yeah, vanya's depression-induced lack of agency and breaking through it was the whole point of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I liked this silly show. All the montages set to music owned.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Show was godawful and I get angry just thinking about it. Did not finish.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Doom Patrol kicks seven shades of poo poo out of this show

Yeah and Patriot is way better than Barry

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just didn't like any of the character interactions in this show. That kinda kills a show for me.

(Doom Patrol is way better)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

the_american_dream posted:

I also hate fun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GoutPatrol posted:

I watched this show with my wife two months ago, and now just read this thread, and I can't remember any of these character's names now so this thread was very confusing.

Nick Kroll plays batman

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

double nine posted:

yeah, vanya's depression-induced lack of agency and breaking through it was the whole point of the character.

I get that but it wasn’t fun to watch as it didn’t give Ellen Paige much to do for 95% of the show.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

the_american_dream posted:

One thing I can promise about Doom Patrol: everyone finishes

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

precision posted:

Yeah and Patriot is way better than Barry

Nah, Patriot can get a bit too far up it's own rear end sometimes. Barry is fairly streamlined and just gets to it. It's not worse than Barry though, it's just doing something different. Parts of that difference are better and parts are worse.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

One thing I can promise about Doom Patrol: everyone finishes

Ah but what about poor Cliff?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was just trying to highlight the absurd argument that sometimes comes up where someone says "show X isn't worth watching because show Y is better" as if one can't watch both :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You realise I was literally answering a question asked by someone else

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
My one hope for S2 of this show is that characters actually share information.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Plot summary: abused depressed girl stops taking meds, causes world to end

Good look

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Sounds like captain marvel is more for you then

Why do you say that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Umbrella Chronicles was good, surprised y'all are so down on it. Biggest problem was it took a long time to establish the characters, I'm expecting season 2 to be better paced.

Chokes McGee posted:

Plot summary: abused depressed girl stops taking meds, causes world to end

Good look

The show at least makes it real obvious there are several points where everything could have been solved by the family just being nicer to Vanya

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Captain Marvel is a straightforward heroic fantasy where chosen hero gets powers and kills all the bad guys. It's the latest Marvel Movie and had the most straightforward endings.
Umbrella Academy what I liked is everyone is hosed up, no ones really a hero or a villain, and they're their own worst enemies. The tragedy and drama comes from how there's nothing stopping them from working together beyond their hangups, which are understandable from their past. It's interesting to me. But I feel like maybe people are missing that, like picking specific characters to protagonists and antagonists.
Maybe there's something out there that does that better that everyone else has watched and I have not, but IDK.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I especially liked "the day that wasn't", seeing how people could resolve certain conflicts if events went down just so, but then going back and altering the timeline so a single variable gets changed by 5 causes all of those scenes to be lost.

Like you said, there's nothing stopping them except their hangups, which are entirely believable given the backstory we know for each of them.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think I'm a little sensitive about it because I was homeschooled and this portrays some of the poo poo that comes from that pretty well.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Captain Marvel is a straightforward heroic fantasy where chosen hero gets powers and kills all the bad guys. It's the latest Marvel Movie and had the most straightforward endings.
Umbrella Academy what I liked is everyone is hosed up, no ones really a hero or a villain, and they're their own worst enemies. The tragedy and drama comes from how there's nothing stopping them from working together beyond their hangups, which are understandable from their past. It's interesting to me. But I feel like maybe people are missing that, like picking specific characters to protagonists and antagonists.
Maybe there's something out there that does that better that everyone else has watched and I have not, but IDK.

This is like that Rick and Morty copypasta, right?

There is 100% a difference between a show or film hiding crucial pieces of information from characters organically and those that do it for contrivance of plot. Umbrella Academy is the latter. Netflix as a whole is the latter.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Seriously! I am constantly crowing at my TV “it’s 2019, just text them “you’re in danger!” or something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Trevor Hale posted:

This is like that Rick and Morty copypasta, right?

There is 100% a difference between a show or film hiding crucial pieces of information from characters organically and those that do it for contrivance of plot. Umbrella Academy is the latter. Netflix as a whole is the latter.

agree to disagree. I was fine with it because I felt like it was expressed that the characters don't share info because they do not trust each other/can't stand each other/blame each other for the poo poo they went through under Reginald. Maybe others see that as a contrivance.

Bust Rodd posted:

Seriously! I am constantly crowing at my TV “it’s 2019, just text them “you’re in danger!” or something.

there are no cellphones or even the internet in the UA 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hemingway To Go! posted:

agree to disagree. I was fine with it because I felt like it was expressed that the characters don't share info because they do not trust each other/can't stand each other/blame each other for the poo poo they went through under Reginald. Maybe others see that as a contrivance.

there are no cellphones or even the internet in the UA 2019

Yeah it exists in a weird setting where nothing developed after about 1969 except the Umbrella Academy.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I remember seeing some modern looking kias or something like that in the garage visited earlyish on

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I read the arc of the comics the show is based on and the pacing is breakneck. There’s always some wacky new element of the world, which is way more whimsical that the show’s, being referenced. Vanya gets like two character beats before she’s all in on ending the world.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just got around to watching this how over the last few days and the thread title is dead wrong. It was good. Better than Doom Patrol, which had some pretty good episodes and some pretty bad episodes. Not perfect, not the best show I've ever seen, not even particularly unique or memorable, but good and worth watching. I'll certainly watch the second season.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i tuned off this bad show when the imminent, unstoppable threat facing this band of superheroes... was 2 normal rear end ppl with guns

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

babypolis posted:

i tuned off this bad show when the imminent, unstoppable threat facing this band of superheroes... was 2 normal rear end ppl with guns

You mean the time travelling assassins who are almost supernaturally good at murder?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

You mean the time travelling assassins who are almost supernaturally good at murder?

they just looked like random rear end ppl with guns to me. main problem was the show seemed like it could not decide if it was goofy or super serious and as such the tone was all over the place. but the boring rear end villains was the last straw for me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Just got around to watching this how over the last few days and the thread title is dead wrong. It was good. Better than Doom Patrol, which had some pretty good episodes and some pretty bad episodes. Not perfect, not the best show I've ever seen, not even particularly unique or memorable, but good and worth watching. I'll certainly watch the second season.

Can’t believe it took me this long to realise you’re a troll account

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

What, 'cause I have different opinions to you? gently caress off.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

babypolis posted:

they just looked like random rear end ppl with guns to me. main problem was the show seemed like it could not decide if it was goofy or super serious and as such the tone was all over the place. but the boring rear end villains was the last straw for me

boring rear end villain with an ax to grind towards the management screwing over the ordinary working assassin was fun.

sorry you hate fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

babypolis posted:

Did you finish the season? They're not really the villains. That's also an extremely reductive way at looking at characters and story.

The "villain" was the family not being able to get along. They hosed that up and now are going back in time to fix it. Its got good themes. Real good themes.

The tone I thought was pretty consistent; yes you have some funny stuff as comedic relief to break up the tension. That's good?

Its not high art but I thought it was well done compared to most poo poo on TV. My only issue was the pacing, it took a few episodes before we knew enough about the characters to really have fun with them. Looking forward to S2 as a result.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Maybe don't hang about in threads for shows you irrationally hate, chief

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

tbf he's the OP!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

precision posted:

Different opinion than yours doesn’t make it irrational, big guy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
why would I stop reading my favourite thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Trevor Hale posted:

Different opinion than yours doesn’t make it irrational, big guy

I was joshing around, Esco is my bro

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I quite enjoyed Umbrella Academy, but by about the tenth time the literal exposition monkey came out of nowhere to tell everyone what was going on before shuffling back off to his hole, I was getting really tired of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Season 2 is already in production! I’ll probably resub to watch this and Tuca & Bertie and the new Wanda Sykes Special.