Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

He's also the guy in The Raid 2 who Rama fights in the prison riot and then is executed along with a bunch of his buddies when Uco and Bangun have that first meeting where they join forces.

Not going to lie... I still haven’t seen The Raid 2. Never quite been in the mood for a slow-burn 2:30 action movie when it’s been available. I really liked the first one and Apostle, I just need to sit down and watch it one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Not going to lie... I still haven’t seen The Raid 2. Never quite been in the mood for a slow-burn 2:30 action movie when it’s been available. I really liked the first one and Apostle, I just need to sit down and watch it one of these days.

It's really not a slow burn though. True, it's 2:30 but I don't think "slow-burn" is really a good way to describe it. At any given point you're really no more than maybe 5-10 minutes from the next big action scene.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Raid 2 goes by pretty fast considering its running time.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

It's really not a slow burn though. True, it's 2:30 but I don't think "slow-burn" is really a good way to describe it. At any given point you're really no more than maybe 5-10 minutes from the next big action scene.

I was lead to believe it’s a slow burn, but I’m glad to be mistaken! If I can track down a copy soon (I know the first is on Netflix, not sure if 2 is available for streaming) I’ll watch it and report back!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Well I was going to post a cool rear end clip of my favorite moment from Brotherhood of the Wolf but imgur links keep showing up broken. Do they not like SA now??

Anyway The Raid 2 is absolutely not a slow burn, it's chock full of action and even when The Story is happening it's still interesting and worth watching.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The Raid 2 is funny for me because I think it’s paced fine and all the action is great and it still feels too long. There’s nothing obviously bad I could think of cutting I just don’t often want to spend a full 2.5 hours rewatching it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

FancyMike posted:

The Raid 2 is funny for me because I think it’s paced fine and all the action is great and it still feels too long. There’s nothing obviously bad I could think of cutting I just don’t often want to spend a full 2.5 hours rewatching it.

From a story perspective you could probably cut the Prakoso scenes, but that club fight is too good to drop.

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012
The Raid 2 is generally fantastic at using its action sequences to inform characterization, and Prakoso is my favorite example of that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

It Just Got Worse posted:

The Raid 2 is generally fantastic at using its action sequences to inform characterization, and Prakoso is my favorite example of that.

Yea, his character confused me for a bit on first watch, but now that I've rewatched it a few times I can't see taking him out.

I think maybe when someone says slow burn about The Raid 2, what they probably mean is that it's more complex and you actually do have to pay attention to follow the story. The Raid was just a simple set-up that took about 5 minutes and it was non-stop action after that, not much of a chance to get lost in the plot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You should. It has at least two action set pieces that are as good as anything else in the genre right now.

It's not slow burn, it's just a big movie the same way Heat is a big movie. There's lots of moving parts and lots of characters. It also looks loving gorgeous.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
So, I know I was pretty down on Scott Adkins a while back, mostly due to his character in Savage Dog and Expendables 2, but I watched The Debt Collector and I have to say that I'm a fan now. Maybe it's because he used his natural accent or something, but I totally dug it. Followed that up with Hard Target 2, which while kinda dumb, he was still charming. So, there you go. Chalk me up as one of you now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Accident Man is good as well, kind of feels like a bit of a Guy Ritchie pastiche even though it's based on a comic with a similar premise and tone that came out 10 years before Ritchie made his first film and that Adkins loved as a kid.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you liked The Debt Collector then yea definitely check out Accident Man. The Undisputed series is also worth a look, but you can just start with Undisputed II because it really has no connection to the original.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Looks like I'll have to bide my time until it comes to Netflix. Is Ninja 2 worth watching in the interim?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Avengement is another good recent Scott Adkins / Jesse V johnson movie.

Narzack posted:

Looks like I'll have to bide my time until it comes to Netflix. Is Ninja 2 worth watching in the interim?
Yes

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
FYI thread: I just watched "Momentum," bank robber/spy/chase flick with Olga Kurylenko and James Purefoy (with a Morgan Freeman cameo) and hoo-boy, don't waste your time...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

Ninja 2 is probably the best straight to DVD action film ever. Which isn't really high praise, but it's accurate.

brocked posted:

FYI thread: I just watched "Momentum," bank robber/spy/chase flick with Olga Kurylenko and James Purefoy (with a Morgan Freeman cameo) and hoo-boy, don't waste your time...

What the gently caress happened to James Purefoy? He had a career at one point.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

He starred in Hap and Leonard, which I believe is on Netflix and everyone should watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Narzack posted:

Ninja 2 owns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

He got bald and fat. Or maybe bloated would be the better word for it.

Snowman_McK posted:

Ninja 2 is probably the best straight to DVD action film ever. Which isn't really high praise, but it's accurate.

Yea you have to go into Ninja 2 understanding that it's very DTV, compared to some of Adkins more recent stuff that is much more professionally done(Accident Man in particular). But the reason Adkins eventually rose above those kind of amateurish productions is because the ridiculous athleticism is always on display no matter what else they surround him with.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 14, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Snowman_McK posted:

Solomon Kane.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I forgot that he was in Altered Carbon as well. You would assume there'd be plenty of demand for a British guy who's really good at being villainously smug, but here we are

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

I forgot that he was in Altered Carbon as well. You would assume there'd be plenty of demand for a British guy who's really good at being villainously smug, but here we are

Oh yea I mean he definitely works, he's just not on the cusp of being a legit leading man like he was there for a while.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Solomon Kane.

also John Carter

Basebf555 posted:

The Undisputed series is also worth a look, but you can just start with Undisputed II because it really has no connection to the original.

I get real mad when people write off the first Undisputed. It's not a classic or anything but it 's well worth it just for Peter Falk's two big scenes.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Purefoy was also in that really cool medieval siege movie. Ironclad?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh yeah the part where he chops a guy's torso halfway in half is metal as hell

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All that talk about Stone Cold a few pages back made me remember another made-for-cable shoot em up fest called Hollow Point, it came out in 1995, and stars Donald Sutherland, John Lithgow, Tia Carrere, and Thomas Ian Griffith. Sutherland's a crazy serial bomber employed by mob boss Lithgow, Carrere and Griffith play rival officers trying to claim the bust. Sutherland steals the movie as a guy who reeeeally loves bombs and gets super excited at the idea of self-detonating. Griffith and Carrere keep the sexual tension silly, which is good since the movie gets pretty ridiculous. Somebody shoots a rocket out of mid-air at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSC5fBOfvk4

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snowman_McK posted:

You should. It has at least two action set pieces that are as good as anything else in the genre right now.

let me guess,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncoGCXWf96s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeTgxaMEyIc

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Furie, the other SE asian lady led action film on Netflix, is actually pretty solid. None of the action scenes are that long and there aren't that many of them, but they're actually pretty good. A fine example of executing something well rather than doing heaps of it at a lower quality.

Nope. Not that those are bad, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw4w2GhkBKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orNKptscG0A

The prison fight especially. It's the only example of a big, riot type action scene that genuinely chaotic and insane. Even brilliant directors like Scorsese and Nolan have struggled to nail that sort of thing.

The Rat posted:

Oh yeah the part where he chops a guy's torso halfway in half is metal as hell

The whole movie is actually pretty good. Paul Giamatti plays an evil king and they use no CGI blood.

I mean, they edit-gently caress around way too much, but it's still a decent way to pass two hours.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 15, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Anybody seen "BuyBust"?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, it's not very good, sadly. I love the setting, but the action is poor.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, it's quite bad. Not bad enough to hate, but just pales in comparison to better offerings.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed Avengement

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Snowman_McK posted:

No way is it better than Universal Soldier: Regeneration or Day of Reckoning.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

No way is it better than Universal Soldier: Regeneration or Day of Reckoning.

I'd forgotten about those. I guess, to me, they kind of transcend the straight to DVD label, and are just brilliant, arty action films that happened to go straight to streaming/dvd. Whereas Ninja 2 is just straight to dvd right through to its core.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Finally got around to watching The Debt Collector, to round off my Adkins catalogue.

It was .. different from what I was expecting but I liked it. Louis Mandylor was great and I think there might be a tiny little comedic actor hiding inside Scott.

Some nice fights and an unexpected ending.

I had to laugh at Sue (Mandylor) going on and on about how Adkins had to watch the whitewalls when he was driving his giant Cadillac. The very first wide shot shows that the car doesn't actually have whitewall tyres.

WATCH THE WHITEWALLS! :saddowns:

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MrBling posted:

I think there might be a tiny little comedic actor hiding inside Scott.

That's what I noticed and part of why it turned me around on Adkins. I'd like to see some more lightness from him. Part of what turned me off him was his unrelenting grimness.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, dudes, Ninja 2 kinda fucken rules. I was a little nervous at first, because the initial few fights were obviously undercranked, so the footage had that goofy sped-up look. I told myself it was just a throwback to the early nineties HK look, and soldiered on. But then that nonsense stopped and Adkins just roundhoused his way through bitches.

I really liked the fight with Goro's lieutenant. It was cool. I'm not a martial arts expert, just a movie enthusiast, but it kinda looked like the dude was using silat. Can someone more knowledgeable than me weigh in?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I think that lieutenant was played by Tim Man, who did the fight choreography for Ninja 2 and most of Scott Adkins' subsequent films. He's also in Undisputed 4 fighting against Adkins. I believe his background is in taekwondo but I don't know anything about martial arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Ninja 2 rips rear end. Adkins is far better at comedic acting though. Avengement is a pro watch.