Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

She's going to be so mad.

and clumsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

I'm going to name my child Ultimate Dragon Glacier

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

In the latest Observer Radio, Meltzer talks about the latest set of tapings and he brings up Gargano getting the NXT Title shot at Takeover: Toronto and not Matt Riddle. Says he was told Riddle will be staying there "for a long time" so they are not rushing anything with him. He says at one point it was going to be Cole vs Riddle for the title, which is why he beat Roderick Strong at Takeover XXV to set that up, but now Riddle won't even be on the card at Takeover: Toronto.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Yeah. Its looking like Takeover will be the following card:

Cole vs Gargano III
TUE vs Street Profits
Dream vs Dunne vs Strong
Baszler vs Yim
Breakout Tournament Finals

And the taping before Takeover should have three matches.

Breezango vs Forgotten Sons
Riddle vs Dain
Shirai vs LeRae

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah. Its looking like Takeover will be the following card:

Cole vs Gargano III
TUE vs Street Profits
Dream vs Dunne vs Strong
Baszler vs Yim
Breakout Tournament Finals

And the taping before Takeover should have three matches.

Breezango vs Forgotten Sons
Riddle vs Dain
Shirai vs LeRae

This is the first Takeover where I can look at the pre-tapes and I'd rather see all three of them on the main card instead of most of the others.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Kvantum posted:

This is the first Takeover where I can look at the pre-tapes and I'd rather see all three of them on the main card instead of most of the others.

Yeah.

Dream vs Dunne vs Strong will be good. Same goes for the NXT Tag Team title match.

Otherwise I don't really care about anything else on the main card. And apparently neither does NXT because the three likely pre-tape matches had significantly more build done at the tapings than the actual matches on the Takeover card itself. Cole vs Gargano III is really starting to stretch this feud, and I want both men to move on to other things after its done. I don't care about the Breakout Tournament finals because whoever wins is probably losing at the next set of tapings anyways. And Baszler/Yim has been completely eclipsed by the Shirai/LeRae feud, barring any potentially great backstage segments between Yim/Baszler.

Meanwhile the Dain/Riddle feud has been pretty great because of how great some of the spots have been (like Riddle being sent through the entrance ramp floor), Breezango reuniting in a place where they'll actually be treated fairly well, and Shirai brutally attacking Candice and displaying a significantly more malevolent side of herself.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 15, 2019

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Kvantum posted:

With the build all taped two months prior to Takeover you have to assume they put on together those three matches/pairings together in case someone on the intended main card gets hurt in the interim.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

I know people probably don't want it, but it feels like NXT has enough big names and and good will that they could expand Takeover cards by at least a match or two and increase their length.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

I know people probably don't want it, but it feels like NXT has enough big names and and good will that they could expand Takeover cards by at least a match or two and increase their length.

6 matches, and making sure there's at least two women's and maybe have the non-title men's one be a tag sometimes would probably freshen things up some, yes.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Turn NXT into 305 Live.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Bigass Moth posted:

Turn NXT into 305 Live.
Do you really want a year long MVP vs Pitbull feuding GM angle?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

KungFu Grip posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind a slightly longer Takeover. As long as they don't turn into 12 match cards like most main roster PPVs, then I don't really mind. 6 or 7 matches would be nice to have, as long as the quality of said matches are high.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How does Dunne get into the threeway with Dream and Strong?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

he beats either just Strong or both of them on the tapings i'm pretty sure and challenges Dream

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TV Zombie posted:

He beat Strong at the tapings, and Dream attempted to jump him from behind afterwards.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Turn NXT into 305 Live.

I'm down, but only if 305 is the MINIMUM weight.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'm on board for the Keith Lee Hour

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Endless Mike posted:

I'm down, but only if 305 is the MINIMUM weight.

Obviously.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Card Subject To Change etc, local ad for Extreme Rules July 14

Seth/Corbin Universal title, tables match
Kofi/Dolph/Owens WWE title
Reigns vs Shane and Drew, 2 on 1 handicap match

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah don't regret dropping that sub

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, more Baron Corbin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad they are letting someone who is canonically bad for business continue to main event.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I'm glad they are letting someone who is canonically bad for business continue to main event.

agreed. it's ziggler's time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Need to bring back the Wall so Corbin can get one over WCW

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Spoilers: no thanks

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Need to bring back the Wall so Corbin can get one over WCW

The wall is dead but i still want this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

it'd be so piss-easy to make this terrible better. Replace Corbin with like, Bryan/Cesaro. Remove Dolph. Slot Reigns into the US Title fight as a 3-way with Ricochet and Joe instead of this dumbfuckery with Shane.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Extremely glad that I :filez: the network instead of giving Vince more money. What a bad ppv.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Potential Smackdown spoiler.

The MMA 4HW are backstage tonight.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Guess theres a women's Lumberjack match tonight

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Like everywhere else there isn't much passion on the betting markets for Stomping Grounds

https://twitter.com/WWELeaksDotOrg/status/1142714736183844871

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Endless Mike posted:

In truth Seth's bad for business too. They are both neither a guy you can build your company on, though Seth as an in ring performer is a million times better and should be a top guy but he isnt the company top guy. He is a Randy Orton or Triple H.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lid posted:

In truth Seth's bad for business too. They are both neither a guy you can build your company on, though Seth as an in ring performer is a million times better and should be a top guy but he isnt the company top guy. He is a Randy Orton or Triple H.

I can't really argue this but they also haven't had the executives come on screen to talk about how he is bad for business which was the point.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Who is the top guy in WWE? Roman is wasting time in the midcard with his Shane McMahon feud. Daniel Bryan is a tag champ with Erik Rowan as his partner. AJ is injured. Cena is pretty much retired. Kofi despite winning the WWE Championship hasn't really been given a chance to be a top guy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Shane

Its actually Brock though

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bartok posted:

Who is the top guy in WWE? Roman is wasting time in the midcard with his Shane McMahon feud. Daniel Bryan is a tag champ with Erik Rowan as his partner. AJ is injured. Cena is pretty much retired. Kofi despite winning the WWE Championship hasn't really been given a chance to be a top guy.

so many guys could be groomed to become superstars but they're stuck in NXT/UK/205. Pete Dunne is 25 and could be a loving superstar. Velveteen Dream and Mustafa Ali are incredible young guys with so much promise. It's insane to think all 3 probably will never come close to their full potential in WWE but at least when they have more experience they could hopefully leave.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Comparing to NJPW they have several guys that could lead the company beyond Okada - Naito and Ospreay being the two clearest with Ibushi possible but a risk given its Ibushi. All guys with claimants of Best In The World.

WWE is different. They need people who project an aura of invincibility. Aura isnt the same as book like Superman, because Roman never felt invincible he didnt have anything special. Austin did as he was a take no prisoners badass redneck, Goldberg did as he wrestled like the greenest Scott Steiner ever - an uncaged animal of physical presence, Brock did because Brock is a once in a lifetime talent. For WWE now they need people like that but they never go with it.

Asuka had it and it loving worked, the smiling unbeatable technical sadist. Then the main roster is we cant book that so they gave up. Then they try it with guys who Are Big but dont have the necessary menace, with the white skinhead the latest in a long line of failures.

On the main toster they had Owens who if they stuck to it wouldve worked because he comes across as a backalley scumbag brawler and his Antichrist of Wrestling gimmick showed he can project an aura of strength. Samoa Joe shockingly still has it b2cause its loving Samoa Joe and you can beat him all day but he will always have it because he is a legit badass but they dont think a big menacing Samoan who was also for a time the best wrestler in the world can get over. And Alistair Black who they ruined with creaking sounds. I believe McIntyre has it too but know it would never work out.

So that leaves the guys in development BUT NXT is like NJPW where being the best means you are the best rather than auras. There are two possibilities - Tommaso Ciampa and Matt Riddle. Tommaso is at his best a heel Steve Austin and Riddle is closer to Asuka in the smiling suplex assassin that you know will gently caress you up. Beyond that there are the best workers in the world but not WWE top aura guys (Gargano, Cole). Some would argue Keith Lee but I have zero faith in them not loving up there.

To change this would require a seismic shift in how they emphasise talent and a willingness to believe that wrestling would draw in viewers rather than entertainment.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

WWE waited so long on Ciampa that not only did they gently caress up a sureshot blood feud but he ended up loving himself up to the point where he'll likely never wrestle again. He was dynamite in NXT but the fact that he was kept in NXT for way too loving long was a titanic mistake. In another life he should have been in the spot Baron Corbin is as the eternal antagonist.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think you can see a lot of the issues in WWE are because of the failure of the Roman experiment/push. They effectively buried any other talent at the expense of Roman. Making an unbeatable superman in a promotion without a real plan and a challenger to ultimately beat them and hopefully make a star of is poor booking.

They neutered Rollins, Moxley/Ambrose, Rusev, Strowman just to name a few to attempt to "make" Reigns. If you really look at it the only reason why AJ, Owens and Joe succeed at all is because they were mostly kept away from the Roman freight train. All of them have had problems (AJ with not being young enough to be "the guy", Owens not having "the look" and Joe being booked like a loser geek constantly) but not because of Roman.

To be honest I don't think anyone they have on the main roster can be fixed anymore there. It is obvious now if the right talent leaves they can be huge stars but the WWE well has been poisoned. It will take years of smart booking with newer talent to fix it. Roman has been ruined beyond repair at this point. For his sake I hope the acting thing works out for him and he can be successful outside WWE.

DLC Inc posted:

WWE waited so long on Ciampa that not only did they gently caress up a sureshot blood feud but he ended up loving himself up to the point where he'll likely never wrestle again. He was dynamite in NXT but the fact that he was kept in NXT for way too loving long was a titanic mistake. In another life he should have been in the spot Baron Corbin is as the eternal antagonist.

I think NXT is the other problem with the company. You have all this hot talent coming in and then being wasted for small shows in Florida. Their characters and stories are wasted there as well and when they get called up they lose everything they had.

A perfect example to think of is if Kurt Angle was hired today he would have spend 3-5 years in NXT "learning to work" and then put out lacklusterly on a episode of RAW. Think of what Kurt did in the first 5 years he was in the company, hell think of the first 2 years!

NXT being around is just a vanity project for Hunter to have his own indie promotion and for WWE to hoard talent from other companies. I can't think of a single real NXT success but a ton of failures all around and even more wasted potential and work.

Djarum fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Djarum posted:

I think you can see a lot of the issues in WWE are because of the failure of the Roman experiment/push. They effectively buried any other talent at the expense of Roman. Making an unbeatable superman in a promotion without a real plan and a challenger to ultimately beat them and hopefully make a star of is poor booking.

They neutered Rollins, Moxley/Ambrose, Rusev, Strowman just to name a few to attempt to "make" Reigns. If you really look at it the only reason why AJ, Owens and Joe succeed at all is because they were mostly kept away from the Roman freight train. All of them have had problems (AJ with not being young enough to be "the guy", Owens not having "the look" and Joe being booked like a loser geek constantly) but not because of Roman.

To be honest I don't think anyone they have on the main roster can be fixed anymore there. It is obvious now if the right talent leaves they can be huge stars but the WWE well has been poisoned. It will take years of smart booking with newer talent to fix it. Roman has been ruined beyond repair at this point. For his sake I hope the acting thing works out for him and he can be successful outside WWE.

The failures now (and of Reigns' push) are because of the success of John Cena.