Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yeah. Last year. Sexually harassed six women. Just google "John Cheese allegations" and you'll get caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tart Kitty posted:

Yeah. Last year. Sexually harassed six women. Just google "John Cheese allegations" and you'll get caught up.

Holy loving poo poo. I had not heard about any of this.

e: is this part of why they shut down the forums? I stopped reading them about a year after PWOT became Cracked, and just looked a couple months ago and noticed they were gone.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 16, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I had not heard about any of this.

e: is this part of why they shut down the forums? I stopped reading them about a year after PWOT became Cracked, and just looked a couple months ago and noticed they were gone.

I think that was tied to Cracked basically having to let go a whole bunch of their staff. Cheese was still writing for them after that though.

John Cheese's writing got scrubbed from Cracked and also The Modern Rogue after it happened though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yikes, no wonder why Cracked dropped off the map

I had no idea about any of that either

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

And, again, it's also important to keep in mind that there is some pretty good evidence that David Wong covered for Cheese while he was harassing people. At the very least it seems like he tried to buffer its presence on Cracked.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

From what I'm reading now, this all started way before Cracked, too.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Pete Holmes has some thoughts about Louis CK
https://twitter.com/sasimons/status/1140036631128240128?s=21
https://twitter.com/bulkusbchargers/status/1140040125453361152?s=21
https://twitter.com/sasimons/status/1140045047422828544?s=21

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tart Kitty posted:

And, again, it's also important to keep in mind that there is some pretty good evidence that David Wong covered for Cheese while he was harassing people. At the very least it seems like he tried to buffer its presence on Cracked.

Even before the sexual harassment stuff, Cheese had gotten into it with the community over a really dumb article he wrote in 2012 that was assumed to be an attack on all the people making fun of his articles in the comments. It turned into a big thing where David Wong started banning people who weren't pro-Cheese and calling the readers "punk teenagers" and "cockroaches".

David Wong is just a gigantic rear end who loves to hear himself talk and continues his opinion to be the authority on everything.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Steve Yun posted:

Yikes, no wonder why Cracked dropped off the map

I had no idea about any of that either

Cracked dropped off the map because they laid off their entire video department to cut costs, and turns out that’s what got them most of their attention.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A lot of the articles have factual errors as well, to the point where sometimes they’ve used sources that say the opposite of what the article claims. No point in reading even interesting listicles if they’re wrong.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Didn't something came out about another Python, Terry Gilliam, at some point?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Joe Chill posted:

Terry Gilliam said some stupid poo poo about Me Too and Weinstein.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I know he has opinions about Amber Heard.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Joe Chill posted:

John CHEESE, not John Cleese

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Coffee And Pie posted:

This threw me for a while too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

John Cleese is a racist gammon though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

chitoryu12 posted:

John Cleese is a racist gammon though.

Old, white, British?

Checks out.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

Haha ok my bad.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
gilliam out there saying he's a black lesbian and cleese tweeting "how can racism b real if race isnt real.... "

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

chitoryu12 posted:

A lot of the articles have factual errors as well, to the point where sometimes they’ve used sources that say the opposite of what the article claims. No point in reading even interesting listicles if they’re wrong.

It also seemed like at least one person from Cracked was just taking content from SA, because a not insignificant amount of their lists would match content that was just mentioned in a PYF thread.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if Cracked's writing went on a decline or I just got more tired of them as the years went by. David Wong always did have this annoying "I'm about to drop some TRUTH on you" voice, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Joe Chill posted:

https://deadline.com/2018/03/ellen-barkin-terry-gilliam-me-too-times-up-sexual-harassment-1202339974/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The worst David Wong article is where he took Alec Baldwin’s monologue from Glengarry Glen Ross as a literal statement of truth for how the world works and everyone just needs to suck it up and accept that they don’t matter unless they push to beat everyone else.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Coffee And Pie posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This threw me for a while too.

Joe Chill posted:

Haha ok my bad.

Little trivia: Cleese's family's surname was Cheese, until his grandfather (I think) changed it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

chitoryu12 posted:

The worst David Wong article is where he took Alec Baldwin’s monologue from Glengarry Glen Ross as a literal statement of truth for how the world works and everyone just needs to suck it up and accept that they don’t matter unless they push to beat everyone else.

The most heartless character in the movie giving the most unsympathetic speech which sets the tone for a story about human beings loving eachother over remorselessly...is good?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nevermind, veering off topic

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thrawn527 posted:

Cracked dropped off the map because they laid off their entire video department to cut costs, and turns out that’s what got them most of their attention.

Yeah, but they did that because the video department was bleeding them dry since they made a hard pivot to video after Facebook lied to every media company about how much people wanted video content. They were absolutely mismanaged, but there are other factors.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but they did that because the video department was bleeding them dry since they made a hard pivot to video after Facebook lied to every media company about how much people wanted video content. They were absolutely mismanaged, but there are other factors.

True, I’m just salty because I really liked the video content they were putting out, and now those writers have scattered to the wind and are hard to find content from. It worked out for some (one is now a writer on Last Week Tonight, and another is a writer for American Dad) and I’m happy for them, I just miss the content.

Those two who got those good jobs just started a podcast together, though, so that’s good.

Anyway, way off topic, so I’ll shut up now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thrawn527 posted:

True, I’m just salty because I really liked the video content they were putting out, and now those writers have scattered to the wind and are hard to find content from. It worked out for some (one is now a writer on Last Week Tonight, and another is a writer for American Dad) and I’m happy for them, I just miss the content.

Those two who got those good jobs just started a podcast together, though, so that’s good.

Anyway, way off topic, so I’ll shut up now.

Check out Off Hours.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Skwirl posted:

Check out Off Hours.

I saw the first episode. It’s...fine, but it still needs to find its footing.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, that's it. lovely dude.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Even before the sexual harassment stuff, Cheese had gotten into it with the community over a really dumb article he wrote in 2012 that was assumed to be an attack on all the people making fun of his articles in the comments. It turned into a big thing where David Wong started banning people who weren't pro-Cheese and calling the readers "punk teenagers" and "cockroaches".

David Wong is just a gigantic rear end who loves to hear himself talk and continues his opinion to be the authority on everything.

Wong was good at writing about video games. Not great, but good. Then he convinced himself that he was good at writing about everything else, including the very nature of happiness. He tried to write this thing on Trump voters, but his big conclusion was just 'things are bad in the country' which is the same tired take everyone had.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Tbh going by his current politics, Mamet would probably agree with that reading

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I made the mistake of renting Oleanna and it's literally a filmed play

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I made the mistake of renting Oleanna and it's literally a filmed play

Of all the things to take issue with Oleanna, that's a hell of a complaint

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean I like to think the implication of all the things that come with it is clear

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/billcosby/status/1140439088241217537?s=21

And you thought oj twitter was bringing the heat

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/rimonima/status/1140459466845876224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"