Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Good use of toolbox: Croissant? ✔ Banana? ✔ Chocolate biscuits? ✔ PlayMobile figure? ✔ :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

D. Ebdrup posted:

What, they strapped one to the roof? :v:
They have 15 sets, no more. If they run out, they're SoL.

Apparently used the the wrong type of tire at the wrong time. I never did hear a more coherent explanation, everyone was confused.

But then he binned it anyway and lost 3 laps.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

D. Ebdrup posted:

LMP1 P3, car #3, got a 3 minute stop-and-go for tires rules violation and that'll likely have cost their podium.
What the gently caress can you do wrong about tires?

Based on the way they read the rule, I think maybe the team used new tyres, and then later on, used some older, scrubbed tyres of the same compound? Sounded to me like you have to go through old tyres before getting out new ones.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Mista Bomarito mista Jon Bomarito

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GlenMR posted:

Based on the way they read the rule, I think maybe the team used new tyres, and then later on, used some older, scrubbed tyres of the same compound? Sounded to me like you have to go through old tyres before getting out new ones.
No, they keep cycling through sets throughout the 24 hours, so eventually they run out of new tyres and have to used old ones that've been in the hotbox for the rubber to reflow slightly, as I understand it.
I guess we'll never know, because it's confusing and pointless now anyway.

Man, I'm completely running on fumes here from only getting 3 hours of sleep, I need a fill-up of some high-octane stuff just like these cars.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm sure the tire question will be asked to the Marshall Pruett/Graham Goodwin Q&A podcast, would be good to get an explanation.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
I'm not sure if I'm remembering the right set of rules (these might be the IMSA ones?) but I think they don't have to declare which 15 sets before the race, so they can decide on compounds mid-race. The tyres are recorded by RFID so they might've used tyres from 16 different sets by accident, although it was probably too early for that to have happened. The only other "tyre type at the wrong time" rule I can think of is do do with wets so that's not it.

Maybe they used tyres from the team car by mistake?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oh no the Minardi is in the wall :smith:

(are you going to get a 1/43 of that P2 car Dudley? Would round off the collection...)

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thats quite some distance to travel too on 3 wheels.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Xisticide posted:

I'm not sure if I'm remembering the right set of rules (these might be the IMSA ones?) but I think they don't have to declare which 15 sets before the race, so they can decide on compounds mid-race. The tyres are recorded by RFID so they might've used tyres from 16 different sets by accident, although it was probably too early for that to have happened. The only other "tyre type at the wrong time" rule I can think of is do do with wets so that's not it.

Maybe they used tyres from the team car by mistake?
Compounds are set at the start of the Endurance Superseason, so that's not it either.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

D. Ebdrup posted:

LMP1 P3, car #3, got a 3 minute stop-and-go for tires rules violation and that'll likely have cost their podium.
What the gently caress can you do wrong about tires?

I'm not going to address the LeMans situation because I dont know the exact tyre rules but at a WRC round we recorded one wrong tyre due to a mixup (which was kinda understandable given we had literally torn down and rebuilt the entire front end in 30 minutes and were just a bit frazzled). As mentioned, all tyres are RFID tracked with handheld scanners that the scrutineers run around with checking every tyre so we had a visit to the stewards office for a "please explain" and a 200 Euro fine.

I suspect whomever it was to keep track of the tyres they were supposed to be allocated got a team manager boot up the rear end.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
As I understand it, the organisers take a bunch of sets of each compound at the start of the season (so from Spa 2017 in this case), lock them away for months and then hand you back a number of sets at each round to use with the rest of your tyre allocation. You are required to use these "control" sets first, before any other sets of the same compound.

I think the intention is to try and prevent a tyre war escalating. However the rule is written in what I can only describe as an incredibly typical FIA manner, where it's simultaneously verbose, rambling and vague. A bit like this post.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Will the tv director gently caress off with some of these over-zoomed shots

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The WEC crew has been quite good on the live stream, didn't know Jim Roller was going to be there this year.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yay, up and at it for the last two hours and I see the yellow Aston is back somehow?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

"I have known Bill Riley my entire life in this sport..."

"You have my condolences"

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Hydrogen chat has returned on Eurosport!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

drgitlin posted:

Adopt DPi 2.0 which will be faster than this gimped, heavy “hypercar”.

If they slow down LMP2 that also means slowing down GTE, btw.
I think this would make a great column :D

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The BMW M8 is so big it should have a class of its own.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It does, the Americas Cup

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/24hoursoflemans/status/1140099349139066881

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
A wheelspin penalty with a minute between 1-2? Ugh gently caress right off.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shumagorath posted:

A wheelspin penalty with a minute between 1-2? Ugh gently caress right off.

And they only went and spun them again during the stop go

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Dramas now, race leader having issues. And also lol at the former leader of th am category.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The last hour of lemans always owns. Toyota 7 having problems

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Everything's coming up Alonso.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

No 8 still needs to pit. Could see a close finish!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Fernando is faster than you

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Fernando is faster than you

:xd:

Another issue, has to be a dodgy sensor.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alonso posted:

Everything's coming up Alonso.
..he whispered, as he adjusted himself in his chair.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Happy anniversary, Big M8 Meme

https://twitter.com/yt5528/status/1007981865058222080

wow. incredibly tough luck for the #7.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh god the bird print shirt is back.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Shumagorath posted:

I think this would make a great column :D

I’ve been meaning to write something for ages about it. I think my negativity is because for a few short years LMP1-H was the best thing in the solar system as far as I was concerned, and this is so far from that.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
gently caress me how many adds do Eurosport need to add into this thing. They had 9 minutes between bird shirt an ad break and this one.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

gently caress me how many adds do Eurosport need to add into this thing. They had 9 minutes between bird shirt an ad break and this one.

Eurosport is terrible.They've been on the hydrogen again.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 16, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

drgitlin posted:

I’ve been meaning to write something for ages about it. I think my negativity is because for a few short years LMP1-H was the best thing in the solar system as far as I was concerned, and this is so far from that.
I too would love to see a space program that shames the 919 and 962.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Is Flavio Briatore working for Toyota nowadays? :tinfoil:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
John Dagys says they changed the wrong tire first: https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/1140238256770048000

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

drgitlin posted:

John Dagys says they changed the wrong tire first: https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/1140238256770048000

I see Alonso's cheque cleared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Ok,I'm done! Need proper nights sleep!